Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL Networks Top 100 Players of 2017

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NFL Networks Top 100 Players of 2017

We used to post about this back in the day and it's probably time to bring it back - it's definitely going to be brutal again as it's become clear over the years NFL players really don't know much outside of their own bubble. And rely on name recognition just as much - if not more than your average fan.

100. Joey Bosa
    99. Malcolm Butler
    98. Adrian Peterson
    97. David Decastro
    96. Damon Harrison
    95. Kelechi Osemele
    94. Donta Hightower
    93. Brandon Graham
    92. Everson Griffin
    91. Lorenzo Alexander

90. Malcolm Jenkins
    89. Thomas Davis
    88. Doug Baldwin
    87. Travis Frederick
    86. Jurrell Casey
    85. Chandler Jones
    84. Mike Daniels
    83. Calais Campbell
    82. Clay Matthews
    81. Alex Smith

The next 10 are up as well , but we can start there for now.

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: NFL Networks Top 100 Players of 2017

I don't necessarily hate most of that list , but the part I do hate is downright egregious.

Adrian Peterson even sniffing this list after the season he started out with , getting injured and proving on the FA market that no team really wanted him is a downright joke. I would like to hear anyone justify Peterson ranking on this list at all when he is going to be splitting time with Mark Ingram and a 2nd or 3rd round rookie scat back this season in New Orleans. It's purely a name add at the end and gets the list off to a bad start right away.

Everyone else I am fine with , although I think projecting forward I would of put Bosa ahead of a handful of these guys.

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

90. Malcolm Jenkins
    89. Thomas Davis
    88. Doug Baldwin
    87. Travis Frederick
    86. Jurrell Casey
    85. Chandler Jones
    84. Mike Daniels
    83. Calais Campbell
    82. Clay Matthews
    81. Alex Smith

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This part of the list I have a few more problems with - but I do like that Jurrell Casey got some recognition along with Travis Frederick. Both two of the best players at their respective positions that don't get nearly the love of some of their contemporaries.

However I think Mike Daniels is a tad underrated here , the guy is an absolute machine and makes an impact in the run or the pass every single game. I don't think it's a huge stretch to call him one of the best all around defensive linemen in the game when you consider his ability to play the 5 and 3 technique without missing much of a beat.

I have more of a problem with Matthews getting placed over him. Matthews is uber talented and his willingness to play out of position for the betterment of the defense is admirable but the guy is always on and off the field with injuries and when he does play - he's injured and not nearly as effected. I don't think any player who can't stay on the field and has proven such over his career should be regarded this highly at all and especially above his fellow teammate Daniels who is there every single snap and hands down the best player on the defense for the past two season.

And then there is Alex Smith , being anywhere on this list. It's pretty much a joke and them just finally throwing him a bone because I don't see how in this vacuum he is a better player than a number of guys ranked below him and he is simply a middle of the road quarterback. His latest game was a joke and spurned conversations about Kansas City needing to move on to get over the hump - I just don't see it and unless there are 15 quarterbacks in the top 80 than he is incredibly overrated.

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peterson is only a year removed from being the league's rushing leader behind a pretty ordinary offensive line, I think the lack of market for him in free agency has a lot less to do with his quality as lack of fit in a changing NFL landscape.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alex Smith being on the list is troubling, as someone that watches a lot of Alex Smith the 19 guys below him must also be unable to throw the ball more than five yards forward.

I kid, mostly, because he did hit a few downfield tosses this year. But yes as essentially an average QB he should have a good dozen QBs ahead of him on the list, but actually it wouldn't be that shocking to see 14 more QBs.

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    Peterson is only a year removed from being the league's rushing leader behind a pretty ordinary offensive line, I think the lack of market for him in free agency has a lot less to do with his quality as lack of fit in a changing NFL landscape.
    I think that speaks to part of the problem , if you aren't able to still be as effective because the league is changing than how good can you be - especially at his age? I think that every player who makes the Top 100 should be the type that wouldn't be on the FA market that long. Two teams courted Peterson and one of them decided they'd rather give up a draft pick and sign Gillisee and the other , the Saints always make weird pickups anyways. There was a point of time where Peterson was looking at not getting signed until camp.

I just don't think he's that good anymore and I don't see him being all that much better splitting time in New Orleans.

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is difficult to project just how good he is right now given he's missed two of the past three seasons, but the evidence from the one he did play suggests he's still a quality back. The FA situation is misleading because there were so many factors in the mix - only so many teams requiring a between the tackles runner, some of those teams being shotgun offences who need their back to be able to play a role in the passing game, the reduced value being placed on the RB position, an exceptionally strong draft class in the position, other veteran backs like Marshawn Lynch and Jamaal Charles still available, plus AP's injury and off-field issues - all those things played a role beyond "how good is Adrian Peterson in 2017?"

If he can stay healthy I don't think it would be a great surprise at all for him to beat out Ingram in the snap battle, rush for around 1000 yards and be a strong contender for comeback player of the year. But this is all speculation and time will tell...

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    It is difficult to project just how good he is right now given he's missed two of the past three seasons, but the evidence from the one he did play suggests he's still a quality back. The FA situation is misleading because there were so many factors in the mix - only so many teams requiring a between the tackles runner, some of those teams being shotgun offences who need their back to be able to play a role in the passing game, the reduced value being placed on the RB position, an exceptionally strong draft class in the position, other veteran backs like Marshawn Lynch and Jamaal Charles still available, plus AP's injury and off-field issues - all those things played a role beyond "how good is Adrian Peterson in 2017?"

If he can stay healthy I don't think it would be a great surprise at all for him to beat out Ingram in the snap battle, rush for around 1000 yards and be a strong contender for comeback player of the year. But this is all speculation and time will tell...
    He averaged less than two yards a carry last season when he played , had a long of 13 and more fumbles than touchdowns. His most recent time on the field he was downright horrible. I mean there is a reason why the Vikings never even considered taking him back at a reduced price tag and thought Latavius Murray was a better option going forward. And I also reiterate that his being one dimensional and tough to fit in an offense in this day and age shouldn't be an excuse but a valid reason as to why he can't be considered even in the top 100 anymore. When a one dimensional dominant runner , is no longer dominant and has no real other skills to fall back on he deserves to tumble out of the rankins. And to be clear , Peterson is old and it would make sense for him being to be broken down at this point in his career - it's nothing against his career and just him going forward. In the history of the NFL if you are going to project 32 year old running backs going forward to "bounce back" you are going to be on the wrong side of that projection 99 times out of 100. I think he showed last year in even that smallest of sample sizes that he was starting to lose it.

And if you want to go back to 2015 - the season before that you could clearly see even at the end of the year he was breaking down. In his last 6 games (including playoffs) he only averaged over 4 YPC one time , and twice he averaged 2 or less YPC with most of it being in the low threes. You could even see in that season that Peterson was breaking down. He only made it over 70 yards in a game one time in that stretch (against the Giants) , so I don't think coming out in 2016 slow and essentially shitting the bed was a abnormality as opposed to really just continuing the downward trend he started in 2015.

To me , thinking Peterson is going to come back in 2017 and be all that good again equals thinking Peyton would of been good again coming back for the 2016 season. They just lost it , all legends do and it's clear that just like McNabb on another Top 100 in the past - the players just voted based on name and respect as opposed to the actual player they think he could be in 2017. And while that's their choice , I hate sentimental choices - Peterson doesn't need the recognition - give that slot to someone else who could really use it going forward.

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread reminds me that there may be a reason Barry Sanders gets more love then guys like Adrian Peterson and Ladanian Tomlinson. Two guys who were the greatest RBs in my football watching time. Is it because they stayed in the NFL long enough to look human where Barry left before we could see?

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think so , I think people just revere their generations differently and Barry was incredible. Emmitt Smith had as hard of slide as any and I don't think it hurt his career either. Also I don't think Adrian Peterson declining is a indicator he wasn't a great runner of the football for a long time - he gets old - it happens to everybody.

Tomlinson was the greatest back of this era IMO , I'd take him over Peterson 10/10 times and I think he is every bit as good as a lot of guys who came before him. My perception of his career is no different because of his last few years in the league.

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I just don't see the decline in AP yet. The season he had after what could've been a career ending injury was huge and cemented him as one of the GOATs. LT is probably the best I watched in my lifetime. However, AP is a hair behind. AP was just bit by an injury and him signing with Nawlins is going to be good for him in preventing injuries. Sure, he's not going to lead the league in rushing yards, but he's going to put up good enough numbers to keep him in the convo as one of the best. I guess we'll see.

Then there's Eddie George. The savage, the beast. Miss him!

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you haven't seen the decline yet than you haven't been watching closely and the numbers also back up the eye test. And history throughout the NFL proves that if you are going to bet on a 32 year old running back moving forward , you are going to lose that bet 99.9% of the time.

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UT View Post
    If you haven't seen the decline yet than you haven't been watching closely and the numbers also back up the eye test. And history throughout the NFL proves that if you are going to bet on a 32 year old running back moving forward , you are going to lose that bet 99.9% of the time.

Pretty much. Only back in my lifetime that beat those odds was John Riggins, and he was running behind The Hogs. New Orleans' offensive line is nowhere near that level.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Real LT View Post
    Pretty much. Only back in my lifetime that beat those odds was John Riggins, and he was running behind The Hogs. New Orleans' offensive line is nowhere near that level.
    Marcus Allen is another case, Chiefs picked him up in 93 when he was 33 years old and he gave them 5 pretty good years. Just like with Riggins and the Hogs though Allen had an elite offensive line blocking for him.

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80. Legarrette Blount
    79. Sean Lee
    78. Brian Orakpo
    77. Haha Clinton-Dix
    76. Justin Houston
    75. Delanie Walker
    74. Harrison Smith
    73. Philip Rivers
    72. Taylor Lewan
    71. Julian Edelman

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure I like this section at all.

To get the Packers out of the way - I like that Dix made the list , he is quietly becoming one of the better all around safeties in the league but I think I'd probably swap him and Daniels in the rankings while putting Perry in Matthews spot. I think there are still 3 current with 1 2016 Packers to come in Rodgers , Jordy , Bahktiari and Lang.

I don't think Blount truly belongs either , he put up nice numbers but that was so much attributed to the offense he was in than the player himself IMO. Put him a number of other places and he doesn't sniff the list.

Rivers has become on of the most OVERRATED players in the league , people bag on all these other young gunslingers around the NFL when Rivers has actually led the NFL in interceptions over the past two seasons and doesn't seem to be on an upward trend. I get people like him and he's a warrior but he gets such a pass for his play recently.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to give Justin Houston a spot when he barely played this season. Granted had he played healthy a full year he'd be higher than the mid-70's, but he still probably didn't earn it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting to the pointy end now:

20) Luke Kuechly
    19) Patrick Peterson
    18) Tyron Smith
    17) A.J. Green
    16) Drew Brees
    15) Aaron Donald
    14) Dak Prescott
    13) Eric Berry
    12) David Johnson
    11) Derek Carr

Carr and Prescott above Brees is silly, and Aaron Donald should definitely be in the top 10 if not top 5.

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aaron Donald should definitely be higher , he's destined to spend his career being overlooked because he is in a horrible organization. Seriously fuck the Rams.

Dak might be a little high but I get it , so no big deal. Carr and Brees should be really close , it's debatable who is higher going forward IMO.

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aaron Donald really should be top 5. He's hands down the best interior D-lineman in the NFL.

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#10 Matt Ryan
    #9 Le'Veon Bell
    #8 Odell Beckham Jr.
    #7 Ezekiel Elliott
    #6 Aaron Rodgers
    #5 Khalil Mack
    #4 Antonio Brown
    #3 Julio Jones
    #2 Von Miller
    #1 Tom Brady

Slap in the face for the MVP to only rank tenth! I saw someone say that no other MVP winner had ever been lower than #2 on this list.

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slap in the face for Aaron Rodgers to be lower than #1!

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Khalil Mack is really good, but #5??? C'mon.

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Real LT View Post
    Khalil Mack is really good, but #5??? C'mon.
    I think it's mandated that the NFL DPOY has to be in the top five or something , I like Mack a lot but I too think #5 is a little too high for him. I also would take Brown over Julio , even now.

Also I'd have Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady #1 and #2.

Thread Information