Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raiders moving to Las Vegas

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Raiders moving to Las Vegas

This is one of the big stories that has been ongoing for a while. It's looking like the Raiders moving to Vegas is becoming more and more of a reality. I'm just not a big fan of teams moving cities. There is just something really wrong about it, the way these teams manipulate the cities and get these huge tax breaks and then throw their weight around only to hold them hostage and move on for greener pastures. I've reasearched the Oilers move from Houston and it's the same story for any team that moves, it's a dirty political leverage game. The owners have no intentions of staying in their town so they negotiate these ridiculous unreasonable new publicly funded stadium deals, when they could easily finance a new stadium on their own and make huge profits. It's all about leverage to get a better deal in the next town over, it's just not right. For the Raiders fans to stick with this team over the last 15 years of god awful football and for that team to pack it up and leave them now just seems so wrong to me. Same for San Diego, St. Louis, and 20 years ago Houston(and the Baltimore Colts back in the 80's). I feel like what the NFL did for Cleveland should be the precedent set for any team that decides to sell out on it's city. The records, logos/colors, history, it's all been bought and paid for by the city and should stay in that city when a team moves, the team should have to start over as an expansion team just like the Ravens did in Baltimore.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 03-26-2017 at 10:21 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Raiders moving to Las Vegas

Whoops, meant to post this in the Gridiron, not sure how I ended up here. Sorry.

vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you mind if the Jaguars moved to be the London Jaguars and the Texans would have to fly to London every year?

I hate to see the move. I would have liked to see if Las Vegas can handle an NHL team first off and see if that's a city that can handle it.
    Currently Playing:
    Cosmic Star Heroine(PS4), Rocket League(PS4), Steins;Gate 0(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ravens didn't start over as an expansion team in Baltimore - they brought the entire roster of Browns with them.

I'm back and forth on this subject , and it certainly depends on the franchise for me. Like I really didn't feel that bad for the Chargers because their home crowd generally sucked even when it was good ... it should be the perfect sports city. I think the Las Vegas Raiders sounds cool though , it'll suck for the lineage but I want to see how the experiment of the NFL in Vegas works.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UT View Post
    The Ravens didn't start over as an expansion team in Baltimore - they brought the entire roster of Browns with them.

I'm back and forth on this subject , and it certainly depends on the franchise for me. Like I really didn't feel that bad for the Chargers because their home crowd generally sucked even when it was good ... it should be the perfect sports city. I think the Las Vegas Raiders sounds cool though , it'll suck for the lineage but I want to see how the experiment of the NFL in Vegas works.
    I'm not talking about the players and staff. Reading is your friend.

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    I'm not talking about the players and staff. Reading is your friend.
    You said start over so I assumed you meant everything , not just the logo's and team history. I didn't realize you had too much coffee again this morning , sorry for the mix up sir.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You said start over so I assumed you meant everything , not just the logo's and team history. I didn't realize you had too much coffee again this morning , sorry for the mix up sir.
    Don't get your panties ruffled yet, I'm only on my 2nd cup!

When a team moves cities obviously the players and coaches/owners/management is what moves. What I mean is that I feel like what the NFL did for Cleveland should be the precedent set for any team that decides to sell out on it's city. The records, logos/colors, history, it's all been bought and paid for by the city and should stay in that city when a team moves, the team should have to start over as an expansion team just like the Ravens did in Baltimore. What I mean by starting over as an expansion team is that their history and records/logos/colors/history all start over new like it never existed before.

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Don't get your panties ruffled yet, I'm only on my 2nd cup!

When a team moves cities obviously the players and coaches/owners/management is what moves. What I mean is that I feel like what the NFL did for Cleveland should be the precedent set for any team that decides to sell out on it's city. The records, logos/colors, history, it's all been bought and paid for by the city and should stay in that city when a team moves, the team should have to start over as an expansion team just like the Ravens did in Baltimore. What I mean by starting over as an expansion team is that their history and records/logos/colors/history all start over new like it never existed before.
    I got that now - and that I can sometimes agree with. The problem with that and Oakland though that they already technically moved twice in the past from Oakland to LA and LA back to Oakland - so there is precedent that they've just carried the team history with him from place to place in the past. Also the Raiders far more so than the Browns are one of the marquee teams in the NFL and I'm not sure the league as a whole would want to go any amount of years without that brand in their league.

I get both sides of the argument and think it was far more feasible after when the Browns moved because expansion was a true possibility - I don't see the NFL looking into expansion anytime soon and who knows how long the Raiders history and brand would lie dormant. And I really hate the idea of another team like Jacksonville or something relocating down the line and inheriting the Raiders history.

Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    Would you mind if the Jaguars moved to be the London Jaguars and the Texans would have to fly to London every year?

I hate to see the move. I would have liked to see if Las Vegas can handle an NHL team first off and see if that's a city that can handle it.
    Is the NFL still so money hungry they are considering the unrealistic possibility of a franchise in England? I guess they just got a put a team their to see how much it would fail.

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leper Messiah View Post
    Is the NFL still so money hungry they are considering the unrealistic possibility of a franchise in England? I guess they just got a put a team their to see how much it would fail.
    Why would it fail?

I mean I'd hate it but I don't think it'd be a definite failure.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always hate to see teams leave. But one footnote if you had told me that 2 teams would move to la and California would have just as many teams as before I wouldn't believe you.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would it fail?

I mean I'd hate it but I don't think it'd be a definite failure.
    Less to do with whether or not London could draw crowds, but more from a time zone difference.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Less to do with whether or not London could draw crowds, but more from a time zone difference.
    Yeah. I don't want to wake up early for an early afternoon game in London. And you know they'll never host a Sunday, Monday, or Thursday Night game, let alone the Super Bowl, because you can't have games start at 1:30 am down there.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I'm probably a crazy person , but I personally enjoy the 930 CST games - it gives me football all day long on Sunday.

I don't know the facts , but I just assume that the ratings for those games aren't horrible either , I mean they are pretty much unopposed.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RIP Oakland Raiders 1960-1981 1995-2016

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan View Post
    RIP Oakland Raiders 1960-1981 1995-2016
    And this time, it may be for good. And like St. Louis, their teams ran out of town twice.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I'm probably a crazy person , but I personally enjoy the 930 CST games - it gives me football all day long on Sunday.

I don't know the facts , but I just assume that the ratings for those games aren't horrible either , I mean they are pretty much unopposed.
    I feel like, with NFL's who, they'll try a Sunday night, or even a Monday or Thursday night game in London if they had a franchise in London, even though the game would be starting at 1:30 AM in England.

On the bright side for a London team, they should beat a West Coast team easily, with the 8 hour time difference.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like, with NFL's who, they'll try a Sunday night, or even a Monday or Thursday night game in London if they had a franchise in London, even though the game would be starting at 1:30 AM in England.

On the bright side for a London team, they should beat a West Coast team easily, with the 8 hour time difference.
    Or a west coast could beat them easily when they travel from London.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CM Punk'd View Post
    Or a west coast could beat them easily when they travel from London.
    I over thought that part, that London would be at a disadvantage, playing at 1 AM there time. I was only thinking the West Coast team is generally at a bit of a disadvantage playing an East Coast team at 1PM, since it's 10 AM there time. So if they end up playing at 1 PM London time, then it would be 5 AM West Coast time. I could see that creating a disadvantage for a West Coast team, unless they are used to playing football at 5 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-approved-31-1

With the Raiders now moving too, to Las Vegas, sources say the NFL is actually a Madden franchise mode being operated by an 11 year old. The Las Vegas Raiders sounds like a made up name from a sports movie because they didn't want to pay to use a real teams.
    Last edited by DanTheMan; 03-27-2017 at 02:29 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like football has better chance of working in Las Vegas than hockey (the Golden Knights just seem to fall under the category of "weird place NHL puts teams over cities that would support hockey").

It sucks for Oakland, since the Raiders really fit there, but this has been hovering so long it just seems like it was inevitable. Assuming the city of Oakland wants to keep any professional sports, they might want to work out a deals with the A's before they leave, since it's soon to be their only team.

Snake Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Vegas will soon thrive as a sort of sporting city. I think it'll end up with its own soccer team and involved in most sports.

When I visited in October I went to the Frozen Fury pre-season match between the Kings and the Dallas Stars at the T-Mobile Arena. First ice hockey match I've ever attended and I wanted to go for that experience and also to visit the new arena which our hotel window overlooked. I have to say, it was really terrible. I know it was a pre-season and more atmosphere would've helped but I can't say I enjoyed it, too many stoppages so I guess hockey isn't for me. I was also jetlagged tbf.

So yeah, I know little about NFL other than team names and I can't really pass judgement on this specific move. I will say that I don't like the idea of a team from another city moving cities but I do think LV will see more of this sort of thing.

2013 TBG Poster of the Year

Scotland, Celtic and FC Basel
    CELTIC (SPFL CHAMPIONS 2013/14)
    FC BASEL (SSL CHAMPIONS 2013/2014; SWISS CUP FINALISTS)

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what Al Davis would think of this

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan
    I wonder what Al Davis would think of this
    To be honest. He probably would have won the vote last year to move to LA.

I personally think it has the potential to be a great move. The Vegas Economy during a home game will get a decent bump from the 10,000 odd Oakland diehards who would follow them anywhere.

I was not a fan of the Oakland Council dragging it's heels over funding. I get at the end of the day they know that an NFL team can pay for a stadium out of their own pocket but when you know that you are competing against a town like LA or Vegas(and Vegas gave them a sweetheart deal)... You need to come to the party with something more substantial then half promises at the last second before the NFL goes to vote on the issue.

How crazy is it. Golden State will be playing out of San Fran. The Raiders moving to Vegas... The A's are bigtime but I think that town is bigger then just a Baseball town.

Fucken onwards and upwards~!

2008 Sports Empire HALL OF FAME

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would rather have the Raiders in Las Vegas then Las Angeles.

Thread Information