Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Argument: Ring of Honor should be as popular as TNA. But for some reason ...

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Argument: Ring of Honor should be as popular as TNA. But for some reason ...

Honestly, in terms of alumni that have made it to WWE in recent times, you could argue that CZW is just as important to the wrestling scene nowdays as ROH is (and yes, I understand a lot of guys have worked for both companies).

vCash
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Argument: Ring of Honor should be as popular as TNA. But for some reason ...

Quote Originally Posted by Damon View Post
    Honestly, in terms of alumni that have made it to WWE in recent times, you could argue that CZW is just as important to the wrestling scene nowdays as ROH is (and yes, I understand a lot of guys have worked for both companies).
    I agree and I'll go a step further. In another thread I made this argument.

ROH gets too much credit. You could point out any ROH star that "Made it" to the WWE, and they wrestled EVERYWHERE.

Not just in ROH. ROH only gets credit because they were the biggest of all those companies in my opinion. But did ROH actually do much to make those guys? Besides giving them the best venues and production to showcase their talent? I don't think so.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    This is kind of how I see ROH, but I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing.

Ring of Honor, since it's inception, has been a fantastic promotion if you like pro wrestling and appreciate the genre. If you're someone who is okay with pro wrestling being kind of trashy and being kind of a joke, ROH may not be for you, simply because it respects the craft.

Ring of Honor isn't a great promotion for the day and of snarky people on YouTube looking for things to rant about, and angry internet wrestling boards. The people that enjoy complaining about wrestling over enjoying it.

All of the stuff about production value, look and everything else is simply the sports-entertainment aesthetic that has become normalized thanks to WWE. ROH will never have those things, and if you're expecting them, you'll never like Ring of Honor.

And a lot of people never will. A lot of people won't even watch Smackdown Live.
    That's always been my issue with ROH though. Nobody is asking them to be Chikara or Beyond Wrestling light but there's no need to be that serious to the pretentious extreme There's a wide birth between ROH's presentation of wrestling compared to TNA to LU or LU's brand of entertaiment to WWE's when comparing any promotion to another. ROH and their fans act like they are the arbitrators of pro wrestling should be,as if nobody else takes the craft as seriously as they do. I find that off putting.

Props to surrender for the great banner.

Friend of Jericho. Saffron Warrior's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I think ROH never really tried to compete with WWE and reach mainstream success in that sense. They are happy being the most easily accessible indy promotion and being a niche product for wrestling fans who want to get away from the loud and "entertainment" oriented promotions like TNA and WWE.

It is somewhat like weed if WWE is alcohol, a gateway drug like some say. People who watch ROH might get into other indy stuff or they might not. To me ROH is appealing because it is different yet has a good production quality (as compared to other indy products) and bigger names in the indy scene.

Thread Information