Thread: Erasing memories

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Erasing memories

The title isn't a reference to the device from the Men In Black films but the action itself could be a potential reality.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ay-scientists/

It brings up an interesting ethical dilemma as well. Bad memories are painful but they also help shape us into who we are, we learn from our mistakes. One bit of erasure could potentially really change who you are.

If you had the chance, would you erase certain things? If not, how do you feel about such a thing being around in the future?

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Erasing memories

Hell yes. Childhood trauma of being raped is not something I want to continue to live with. Since the statute of limitations is up, I can't have the guy arrested, so the memories have no positive impact on me. It would be wonderful to be free of the nightmare.

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

vCash
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be nice to erase everything and start again.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no doubt that people like Mistress have been through way more than anyone should, but to change those memories...
    I mean, we are the sum of our genetics and our experiences good and bad, if we deleted all the bad would we still have compassion? Would we value those that stood by us? Would we repeat bad behaviors?

I am prone to being either incredibly down, but without it how would I measure the good? I mean, if everywhere is the peak of a mountain then there are no mountains.

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw a similar research group speak. Single scariest moment of my life was realizing how they were able to erase memories using recall mutation.

Article on the group I saw:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/5...-bad-memories/
    Last edited by Engel; 02-26-2017 at 12:10 AM.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

www.houghtonrats.org.uk MonsooN's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I have no experiences comparable to Mistress' and couldn't possibly comment from a position of understanding of her position, I think that if you erased bad memories, it would mark a fundamental change to the person you are.

There are some things certainly, from my youth and adolescence that I'd like to forget. Things that make me cringe when I remember them. Things that make me question what the hell I was thinking at the time I did them (This is nothing serious, by the way. Just things like cracking jokes I thought were funny but turned out to be offensive or hurtful) I wonder what those people think of me now.

I wouldn't erase those memories if I had a choice though. While I don't like them, they're part of who I am. They're a valuable life lesson that helped shape the present day me. I'm sure most of us would agree that humility, self awareness and compassion, as iNCY said are all valuable qualities in any person and erasing memories would mean a lot less of them.
    Last edited by MonsooN; 03-19-2017 at 02:30 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like the idea of people in power being able to erase memories.

vCash
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ness View Post
    I don't like the idea of people in power being able to erase memories.
    Maybe it's already happened and you just can't remember!

Fo fo fo fo... for life patrick94's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This will be bad. Like anything as powerful as something like memory erasure, if it lands in the hands of the wrong people it can turn into something super scary and easily corruptible.
    Fuck The Revival!

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's not quite the same but I had an interesting thing happen to me several years ago. I was at my mom's for dinner and shed kept the table from my childhood. I dropped something under the table and looked up to a litany of drawings and words written by a young me from back in my formative years while hiding under it from my dad while drunk or when my parents fought. I'd completely blocked it out. Absolutely, completely until I saw it and then in a flood it all came rushing back and overwhelmed me.

I just wonder that even if they were able to change or erase memories if they would stay that way or if they could be remembered with some trigger and cause more damage?

Spoiler

*Many thanks to the amazing surrender for my banner*
    #TeamAuthority
    R.E.A.L

Snake Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't read the article but I assume by memories being erased it changes the person you are because you don't have that particular memory to fall back on.

Like many, I don't have the sort of awful experience that Mistress went through. There's things I'm not proud of and moments I'd like to erase but aren't we just destined to repeat them again and learn those lessons all over again?

Obviously it is different with things like rape. But perhaps making a hurtful comment, saying something offensive or alienating someone. You learned from that comment and you learned that it wasn't right to say it but if that memory is erased then you won't have that voice to say, "no, that isn't the right thing to say". Interesting topic.

2013 TBG Poster of the Year

Scotland, Celtic and FC Basel
    CELTIC (SPFL CHAMPIONS 2013/14)
    FC BASEL (SSL CHAMPIONS 2013/2014; SWISS CUP FINALISTS)

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading this thread has me in the mood to watch "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", good film, you all should watch it.

In the serious side of things, nope, I wouldn't like it to become a thing & if it were a thing, I wouldn't do it. The memories, good, bad, indifferent... like Monsoon said and others, they shape the person who you are today, you learn from those experiences. I echo the words of many already, I can't fathom the experience Mistress went through, I couldn't for one of my childhood friends who was raped in a park either.

Bad memories, I wouldn't say they're suppressed. I just don't think about them as much as I do the good ones, life is too short to keep worrying about the trivial things and bad things in life. If there is an almighty power above us, who has given us all a life to live & you only get one go on the merry-go-round of life, might as well live it & learn from all experiences good or bad.

A touch of Destiny AgentRodimal's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. Our memories -both good and bad- make us who we are.

Commitment to Excellence ORaider27's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AgentRodimal View Post
    This. As someone that has had traumatic memories lost and recovered, I can attest that while not having them has some appeal, I would rather have them for the exact reason you stated.
    Insei makes the best banners and avs
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    "It is the responsibility of intellectuals to speak the truth and expose lies."
    Both quotes by Noam Chomsky
    "We are all Africans." -- Richard Dawkins
    Sports Empire HOF 2008 PW HOF 2015

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AgentRodimal View Post
    What if the memory is so bad it makes you hate who you are? Then having it erased might be a good thing.

I had some child abuse in my youth and yes, I wish I could just erase it all. Might change who I am now but I'd be ok with that.

Thread Information