Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: College Basketball 2016 Discussion thread

Space Invaders Champion! Hexxagon Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default College Basketball 2016 Discussion thread

The season starts Friday and my team (LSU) looks mediocre. Nobody has high expectations of this school. Duke appears to be heavily favored before they've played anybody, having gotten 58 of 65 first place votes from the Associated Press. How does your team look?
    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: College Basketball 2016 Discussion thread

Posted this on another board, so I'll just c&p:

Strengths- Post Play. John Collins and Doral Moore should be be a pretty good duo this year. Outside shooting should also be much improved. The additions of Austin Arians, Keyshawn Woods, along with Freshmen Brandon Childress and Richard Washington should help out here. Chemistry should improve, and the losses of Devin Thomas and Codi Miller-McIntyre should help out in that regard.

Weaknesses- Defense, most notably from the perimeter. Going to list this as a weakness until there are signs that it is going to get better. Hoping, Keyshawn Woods and Brandon Childress take most of Mitchell Wilbekin's minutes. Wilbekin has been a terrible defender during his first two years at Wake.

Impact Player- Bryant Crawford. Averaged close to 14 PPG last year, with 4.4 APG and 1.7 SPG. Shot selection and his TO rate will need to get better.

Breakout Players- John Collins and Doral Moore. Collins is a 6'10 Forward with good to great athleticism, a good face up game and great touch around the basket. Played behind Devin Thomas last year, but was very productive in the minutes that he received. His Per 40 stats were off the charts last year. Had trouble with silly fouls, so will definitely need to improve that aspect of his game.

Moore is a 7'1 C with good athleticism. Very active around the rim, appears to have good touch. Has the tools and the skill set to be a problem inside on both ends of the court for the opposition. He's a potential game changer. Had problem with endurance last year, so hopefully that has improved over the off-season. He started last year as someone that was deemed as a "project", but by the time the year ended, fans were begging Manning for him to start over a guy that was averaging 15.6 PPG and 10.2 RPG.

Record Prediction: 17-14 (7-11). Think Wake will suffer from youthful mistakes this year, but they will be fun to watch. Preparing for a return to the NCAA's in 2018.

I'm going to the Wake/Radford game this Friday. Hoping to see a blowout win for the Deacs.

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do love the tip-off marathon. Especially when most of it happens when I'm not working. I get to see a lot of teams play that otherwise I would not see until the conference tournaments and I can't watch all of those.
    Last edited by Sea Slug; 11-15-2016 at 11:36 AM.
    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deacs play Villanova tomorrow. Will be a tough challenge.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Red Storm have a lot of young talent that I hope can grow to be solid players. They face the Spartans tonight that's gonna be rough.

Props to surrender for the great banner.

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazy how Indiana lost to Fort Wayne. A #3 seed! This is why college basketball is so amazing.

2011 NCAA Poster Of Year Sweetness_Bolt's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still 6 Undefeated Teams Left- Villanova, UCLA, Baylor, Gonzaga, Creighton & USC. Strong Group Of Teams Who've Proven To Be Great

Duke & Kentucky Though Look Like The 2 Best Overall. Kentucky With 103-100 Win Saturday v North Carolina, One Of The Best Games Of The Season So Far Thanks To Star Freshman Malik Monk 47 Points Along With Fox 24 / 10 & Duke 3 Great Freshman In Jackson, Tatum & Giles + Kennard / Allen / Jefferson 3 Leading Scorers

In Between The Lines, There's A Lot Of Obscurity. I'm Not Inclined To Resign To Maturity
    If It's All Right, Then You're All Wrong. Why Bounce Around To The Same Damn Song
    You Rather Run When You Can't Crawl. I Know That You Know That I'm Not Telling The Truth
    I Know That You Know, They Just Don't Have Any Proof. Embrace The Deception, Learn How To Bend
    Your Worst Inhibitions They Will PSYCH You Out In The End

vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St Johns just went into the carrier dome and spanked Syracuse by 33. Keep in mind Long Island and Delaware State beat St Johns this year, sure the team is better than last year but this is maybe the 9th at best team in the Big East who just did this to a team that went how far last year? Elite 8

Chris Mullin has beaten Boeheim twice now, Chris Mullin a new coach altogether......
    Currently Playing:
    Cosmic Star Heroine(PS4), Rocket League(PS4), Steins;Gate 0(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw a video of the Grayson Allen temper tantrum. Oh Jeeez.

-chaos-
    "My hit to miss ratio is sadness!"

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    St Johns just went into the carrier dome and spanked Syracuse by 33. Keep in mind Long Island and Delaware State beat St Johns this year, sure the team is better than last year but this is maybe the 9th at best team in the Big East who just did this to a team that went how far last year? Elite 8

Chris Mullin has beaten Boeheim twice now, Chris Mullin a new coach altogether......
    Boeheim didn't coach against St. John's last year. Mike Hopkins did.

Syracuse went to the Final 4 last year, but that was a Cinderella run. They finished the season with 14 losses, a .500 ACC record and lost their first game in the ACCT to Pitt.

Cuse has dug an even bigger hole for themselves than last year.

Their 5 losses (kenpom ranking in parenthesis):

South Carolina (#32)
    Wisconsin (#10)
    Connecticut (#83)
    Georgetown (#55)
    St. John's (#97)

No shame in losing to Wisconsin and South Carolina right now. Going 0-3 against their former BE rivals though, you just can't do that. They'll be entering ACC play with five losses. Really makes their margin of error in ACC play very small.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wake beats LSU by 34 points, 110-76.

Good performance by the Deacs. Wake has put together a good OOC resume, due to their aggressive scheduling.

vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe Hitman can take it from here but how the fuck is Butler ranked 13th I have barely watched college basketball this year but when you lose to one of the worst teams in the "power conferences"(If you want to call it that) in St Johns, like how are you even ranked?

St Johns beat Butler by 3 at Carnesseca Arena, my god. Can't beat Long Island or Delaware St.....blew Syracuse out by 33 at The Carrier Dome and now beat Butler
    Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Butler has wins this year over Arizona, Indiana, Cincinnati, Northwestern & Utah. 1 Bad Loss doesn't diminish the fact they've got a great resume & at their best can easily be Elite 8 / Final 4 caliber

Syracuse win at this point clearly means nothing. Syracuse is playing like arguably the worst team in the ACC this season or atleast close to it

But of course you haven't seen much this year & don't know much outside of horrible St Johns anyway so clearly you're not informed

In Between The Lines, There's A Lot Of Obscurity. I'm Not Inclined To Resign To Maturity
    If It's All Right, Then You're All Wrong. Why Bounce Around To The Same Damn Song
    You Rather Run When You Can't Crawl. I Know That You Know That I'm Not Telling The Truth
    I Know That You Know, They Just Don't Have Any Proof. Embrace The Deception, Learn How To Bend

vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry we're not all so fortunate to have the time or luxury to watch every single big game possible of college basketball this season Bolt. I was speaking more about that St Johns isn't so good and that it is unacceptable for a "top tier" team to lose to these guys.

Team is filled with freshman and a few JUCO. Hardly any experience on this squad, very young team.
    Last edited by Blindy; 12-31-2016 at 01:51 AM.
    Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't either but I watch enough & it took me 2 minutes to look up Butlers resume. Many top teams are going to end up with bad losses especially on the road & in conference. It doesn't take much to know teams are more then just 1 good or bad game

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wake Forest had a 58-56 lead on FSU with about 8:00 left to go. FSU then proceeds to go on a 17-0 run and ends the game with a 88-72 victory.

Wake Forest had a 68-58 lead on Clemson with about 4:00 (or 5:00) left to go. Clemson proceeds to go on a 15-0 and ends the game with a 73-68 victory.

Shit like that just shouldn't happen. Players and coaches have to do a better job down the stretch. They didn't finish the games against Xavier or Northwestern, either.

Wake is still #44 in kenpom, so that says at the very worst they're a decent basketball team right now. Just need to finish games.

Also, Butler is a very good team. Ranked nationally and ranked #17 in kenpom. They've also picked up some very good wins. Upsets happen in conference play.

vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St Johns wins in DePaul to go 2-0 in Conference play:

The Big East is down when a team like St Johns look like world beaters.....time to take pride to gloat Hitman

This was meant to be a rebuilding year so honestly the fact this young team is waking up and smelling the coffee is insane enough to be respectable, which compared to last year's nightmare of a season is good for the guys.
    Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St Johns getting blown out by double digits at home to Creighton, seemed like sanity began to hit.

Butler beating top ranked Villanova......................................wat ch Butler go on a tear now after losing to St Johns, I would be livid to have lost to the Johnnies in 2016-2017 too.
    Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That indefinite Duke suspension really hurt the team guys.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    St Johns wins in DePaul to go 2-0 in Conference play:

The Big East is down when a team like St Johns look like world beaters.....time to take pride to gloat Hitman

This was meant to be a rebuilding year so honestly the fact this young team is waking up and smelling the coffee is insane enough to be respectable, which compared to last year's nightmare of a season is good for the guys.
    Why would I gloat? I like the Big East. 10 team conference with a round-robin schedule, just the way college basketball was meant to be. Also, I hope I haven't come across as someone who has gloated in the past. That is a very unattractive character trait to have.

I also disagree with the idea that the Big East is down. The Big East has four teams in kenpom's Top 25. They also have four top 15 teams, according to the national polls. For a conference with 10 teams, that is pretty good. Also have to think that Marquette and Seton Hall will be fighting for NCAA Tournament spots. They'll both have opportunities to impress.

Wake is 10-7 (1-4 in ACC play), but they have competed. Need to learn how to win (and close out) games. #43 in kenpom. Their kenpom ranking has been aided that they were competitive in the games they have lost and have won by a wide margin in the games they were supposed to win. That ranking will start to stumble if they lose at home against Miami this Wednesday.

Wake can score on anyone, but they also have trouble at times on the defensive side of the ball. Makes me very nervous to how good they actually are.

Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't make a new thread for it, because I don't know how much discussion it would generate, but damn the UConn women's team is dominant.

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ohio St just got a much needed and well earned conference win.

Outside of the Ivy League, every team has played 3-6 conference games and it's pretty obvious where the teams stand right now. The conference tournaments are hardly taking shape, but I'd bet on a team that's 5-0 right now over a 1-4 team.

My prediction of LSU being mediocre was apparently wrong: we aren't that good.
    -John Stuart Mill

Is Snooker Loopy

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great weekend of college BB.

Nova's comeback win against Virginia was great basketball and the Big 12/SEC challenge produced many talking points whilst also flattering the SEC. I fucken love college ball.

What do you all think about Coach K banning his team from the locker room and wearing Duke apparel? Effective? Trite?

vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St Johns is somehow 5-6 in big east play with wins over Butler, Marquette and Providence(On the road)

Like wow. This is a team filled out of freshmans, Sophomores and JUCO players. They nearly beat Xavier the other night too
    Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Great weekend of college BB.

Nova's comeback win against Virginia was great basketball and the Big 12/SEC challenge produced many talking points whilst also flattering the SEC. I fucken love college ball.

What do you all think about Coach K banning his team from the locker room and wearing Duke apparel? Effective? Trite?
    It was a motivational tool that really wasn't working until Wake let them off the hook. I still can't quite believe that and I watched Wake blow a 10 point lead against Clemson in the late stages of that game.

Thread Information