Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Reigns suffer the Orton, Cena and even younger HBK effect?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Reigns suffer the Orton, Cena and even younger HBK effect?

You push a guy to the top, some feeling like the push is forced and the expected baby face gets the jeers. I remember back when HBK was being given the reigns in his Sid and Vader battling days, he had many nights of the guys against him and the girls loving him.

Orton became stale after a while and struggled to remain the most interesting face.

I think we are unsure where Reigns shines most because he has yet to get to that point, but moments like his interview where he called that lady (forgot her name) "Baby girl" starts to enter him into "the girls like him, the guys hate him" category. He has the good looks and physique and one thing I notice the male WWE crowd doesn't warm up to very well are the poster boys.

Daniel Bryan seems the complete opposite as he isn't the typical "it guy" that someone like Triple H likes to push. So its easier for everyone to be behind him.

Do you guys see Reigns being thrown down that route? Or do you sense another edge in him that will keep the full crowd on his side (i.e. Jericho, Austin, Punk, etc).

I actually see Rollins doing just as well. Ambrose I feel will always have the crowd's full cheers or full boos.

Re: Could Reigns suffer the Orton, Cena and even younger HBK effect?

WWE needs to be very careful in how they book Reigns. Frankly, they need to give him the Cena SmackDown build: a slow, steady build where he flirts with main event status constantly, but is positioned as the leader of the mid-card. John Cena was insanely over from what I recall (then again, I was just an ignorant teenager at the time) throughout his Smackdown run because WWE didn't give him too much, too soon. It wasn't until they moved him to Raw, started cutting back his character, and put him in matches against respected veterans that the audience really turned on him.

Reigns has potential to be a major star if WWE is just as careful in how they build him up.

Comment

WWE needs to be very careful in how they book Reigns. Frankly, they need to give him the Cena SmackDown build: a slow, steady build where he flirts with main event status constantly, but is positioned as the leader of the mid-card. John Cena was insanely over from what I recall (then again, I was just an ignorant teenager at the time) throughout his Smackdown run because WWE didn't give him too much, too soon. It wasn't until they moved him to Raw, started cutting back his character, and put him in matches against respected veterans that the audience really turned on him.

Reigns has potential to be a major star if WWE is just as careful in how they build him up.

Comment

Yeah booking is a major thing. If they turn him into a cocky or overly cheesy superman with the title early, the flame may start to burn out.

As a face,

I think you're either unbelievably entertaining (The Rock/Jericho can work the mic like crazy and had a swagger about them)

or

very relatable in your battle vs Authority (Austin taking matters into his own hands vs his boss that people WISH they could do, Bryan kind of unassuming, but with a lot of heart and talent to not accept that he isn't the ideal candidate).

They have to make sure that Reigns isn't just about howling and super punches, but get some dynamic into his character and not to get too cheesy. He needs to maintain and edge about him.

Comment

Yeah booking is a major thing. If they turn him into a cocky or overly cheesy superman with the title early, the flame may start to burn out.

As a face,

I think you're either unbelievably entertaining (The Rock/Jericho can work the mic like crazy and had a swagger about them)

or

very relatable in your battle vs Authority (Austin taking matters into his own hands vs his boss that people WISH they could do, Bryan kind of unassuming, but with a lot of heart and talent to not accept that he isn't the ideal candidate).

They have to make sure that Reigns isn't just about howling and super punches, but get some dynamic into his character and not to get too cheesy. He needs to maintain and edge about him.

Comment

Originally posted by TyrantT316 View Post
            Daniel Bryan seems the complete opposite as he isn't the typical "it guy" that someone like Triple H likes to push. So its easier for everyone to be behind him.
            I like how he isn't officially running the company and it's already changed from Vince to Triple H. I'm surprised it isn't just a 'WWE likes to push' right now.

But yes, everyone they strap a rocket to has the chance of the crowd turning on them. Austin had it (watch IYH - Fatal Four Way, Zero reaction to him in the main event), Brock had it, and many more will have it.

Comment

Originally posted by TyrantT316 View Post
              I like how he isn't officially running the company and it's already changed from Vince to Triple H. I'm surprised it isn't just a 'WWE likes to push' right now.

But yes, everyone they strap a rocket to has the chance of the crowd turning on them. Austin had it (watch IYH - Fatal Four Way, Zero reaction to him in the main event), Brock had it, and many more will have it.

Comment

Its a concern for sure, his good looks are that is.

They have to keep him an unbelievable bad ass in order to keep the guys from booing him

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Comment

Its a concern for sure, his good looks are that is.

They have to keep him an unbelievable bad ass in order to keep the guys from booing him

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Comment

Darth nailed it on the head. Reigns just needs a nice a steady build right to the top.
                    I believe one day he could become world champion. However when he gets the gold, I want him to be established as a legit main eventer. I don't want him to do a dolph Ziggler.

Comment

Darth nailed it on the head. Reigns just needs a nice a steady build right to the top.
                      I believe one day he could become world champion. However when he gets the gold, I want him to be established as a legit main eventer. I don't want him to do a dolph Ziggler.

Comment

Sadly, i noticed this when they did Reigns Vs Wyatt this past monday. I think Reigns going into the main event picture will take off big time but after a while people will get bored of him and end up turning on him... Not to say thats what SHOULD happen but sadly it may...

Comment

Sadly, i noticed this when they did Reigns Vs Wyatt this past monday. I think Reigns going into the main event picture will take off big time but after a while people will get bored of him and end up turning on him... Not to say thats what SHOULD happen but sadly it may...

Comment

Reigns may benefit from all of it - Cena's mixed reactions, Batista getting booed, Sheamus sometimes getting mixed reactions. Hopefully they will learn from it. The action is what gets you over now.

Comment

Reigns may benefit from all of it - Cena's mixed reactions, Batista getting booed, Sheamus sometimes getting mixed reactions. Hopefully they will learn from it. The action is what gets you over now.

Comment

Working...
                              X