Leaked Internal Memo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaked Internal Memo

An internal WWE memo from a few years back recently leaked and stated a few things of interest:

* Vince McMahon no longer wants “Granddaddy of them all” using to describe WrestleMania because he feels it makes WrestleMania feel old and dated.

* Nobody can use the phrase “choke” for a submission move. Undertaker’s Hell’s Gate move was named Triangle submission hold.

* Producer Kevin Dunn stated that announcers can no longer use the phrase “title changes hands.”

* Vince banned the use of terms “five star match” and “match of the year.” As part of the memo banning those terms, Vince also wanted all announcers to “stop reading the dirt sheets” with the idea that it influences what they say.

* Stephanie McMahon sent a memo for announcers to never use the phrase “the referee didn’t see it” when a heel is doing something behind the referees back. She wrote that it makes it seem like the announcers are treating the fans like they are in grade school. Stephanie prefers “the referee’s vision was impaired” or “the referee’s vision was blocked.” Also, never use the word “hatred” or “hate” when describing a feud and the announcers should never say a talent doesn’t care about winning a match.

Well they must've gone back on the "match of the year" stuff because they have talked about matches recently like that. Don't get what's wrong about a "title changing hands" though.

I understand completely about the choking thing given what happened in 2007, and Steph's stuff makes sense too.

Re: Leaked Internal Memo

Wait, so Vince is aware that the majority of wrestling fans aren't in grade school?

Comment

Wait, so Vince is aware that the majority of wrestling fans aren't in grade school?

Comment

So Undertaker's Hell's Gate had a name change? Interesting that Hell in a Cell is still around then.

Comment

So Undertaker's Hell's Gate had a name change? Interesting that Hell in a Cell is still around then.

Comment

I am taking this memo with a grain of salt. The fact that it leaked years after the fact makes me very skeptical of it. I do believe the Granddaddy memo. Also, in the PG era, I understand not being able to use the word hatred. It sucks, but it is what it is and I get trying to appease sponsors and welcome in a PG fanbase with the kids at the forefront of that fanbase. I don't know if I believe the part about Vince telling Cole, JBL, Lawler not to read the sheets. They don't need to read them as they already have the inside scoop by virtue of just working for the company and being told the ongoing storylines.

This goes along with the memo and It's always bothered me: How do these employees that leak info to the sheets not get found out by Vince? I'm sure a couple of them have been caught. I can imagine Vince and his cronies have his eyes on the 20-30 disgruntled lower card-mid card talent at every live event to make sure they aren't stooging off to their family and friends and writers on the sheets. I doubt it's anybody in the creative time or in a management position. It's probably mostly disgruntled talent, and I cannot believe that they continually manage to pass this info on. What do you guys think about that? Maybe Vince likes some things leaked as it gets smart fans excited for the show. I'm sure some things get leaked on purpose to mess with us or to get us excited for the show. And yes, occasionally we get info that we should never be privelaged to.

Comment

I am taking this memo with a grain of salt. The fact that it leaked years after the fact makes me very skeptical of it. I do believe the Granddaddy memo. Also, in the PG era, I understand not being able to use the word hatred. It sucks, but it is what it is and I get trying to appease sponsors and welcome in a PG fanbase with the kids at the forefront of that fanbase. I don't know if I believe the part about Vince telling Cole, JBL, Lawler not to read the sheets. They don't need to read them as they already have the inside scoop by virtue of just working for the company and being told the ongoing storylines.

This goes along with the memo and It's always bothered me: How do these employees that leak info to the sheets not get found out by Vince? I'm sure a couple of them have been caught. I can imagine Vince and his cronies have his eyes on the 20-30 disgruntled lower card-mid card talent at every live event to make sure they aren't stooging off to their family and friends and writers on the sheets. I doubt it's anybody in the creative time or in a management position. It's probably mostly disgruntled talent, and I cannot believe that they continually manage to pass this info on. What do you guys think about that? Maybe Vince likes some things leaked as it gets smart fans excited for the show. I'm sure some things get leaked on purpose to mess with us or to get us excited for the show. And yes, occasionally we get info that we should never be privelaged to.

Comment

Vince rarely does anything without there being a good reason behind it. That doesn't mean he's perfect and hasn't done some pretty stupid shit in the past. But I mean specifically over the past few years.

Comment

Vince rarely does anything without there being a good reason behind it. That doesn't mean he's perfect and hasn't done some pretty stupid shit in the past. But I mean specifically over the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by TGO View Post
                    Nope, I'm sure Vince still does. Steph is the one who does't think we are all in grade school.

Comment

Originally posted by TGO View Post
                      Nope, I'm sure Vince still does. Steph is the one who does't think we are all in grade school.

Comment

Originally posted by WrestleMania 34 View Post
                        Triangle in a Cell has a certain ring to it.
                        My Chris Jericho banner is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by WrestleMania 34 View Post
                          Triangle in a Cell has a certain ring to it.
                          My Chris Jericho banner is broken.

Comment

One of the big things John Morrison used to say after he left WWE was that Vince McMahon was an unbelievable micro-manager and he's been known from years of reporting to lose his shit over the tiniest details, no matter how semingly stupid and mundane.

So, yeah. I buy this. Also, some of these read so much like the WWE Newspeak, so it really does add up.

"It's not a belt. It's a title. Belts hold your pants up! This is a championship title!"
                            Originally posted by mx518
                            he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
                            No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
                            NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

Comment

One of the big things John Morrison used to say after he left WWE was that Vince McMahon was an unbelievable micro-manager and he's been known from years of reporting to lose his shit over the tiniest details, no matter how semingly stupid and mundane.

So, yeah. I buy this. Also, some of these read so much like the WWE Newspeak, so it really does add up.

"It's not a belt. It's a title. Belts hold your pants up! This is a championship title!"
                              he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
                              No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
                              NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

Comment

Working...
                              X