Royal Rumble Buyrate is In - Successful

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Rumble Buyrate is In - Successful

The Rumble buyrate is in and it's good news for WWE. Up 14% from last year's buyrate of 438k, WWE were achingly close to the 500k mark with 498k. Anyway, it's the highest Rumble buyrate for five years.

Whether the extra few million was actually worth the hassle they put themselves through at the end of the year to get this match is up for debate.

Re: Royal Rumble Buyrate is In - Successful

I expected it to be up around 600,000, with The Rock and all.

Comment

The Rumble hasn't done that sort of number for ten years when PPV was a very different and far more lucrative revenue stream. 600k was never going to be possible.

This is still hugely successful. PPV is generally on the downturn, the little spikes here and there that Rock, Lesnar and HHH give it are keeping it generally more successful than 2011 which is good.

Comment

How was PPV so much different back then? This PPV was a success, but I don't see how Wrestlemania (which has gone up in buy rates over the years) can be expected to get at least a million buys or close, but the Rumble doing close to 600,000 is considered improbable.

Comment

WrestleMania bucks the trend of the business entirely.

In 2002 there wasn't a single PPV under 300k. In 2012, exactly half of the PPVs did under 200k. And 2012 has the added benefit of incorporating international buys.

PPV is not what it was. They have done a marvellous job with WrestleMania but it applies to WrestleMania and WrestleMania only. And even WrestleMania is doing less buys in the US than it was, but it is hugely successful internationally.

Comment

Originally posted by KLockard23 View Post
            How was PPV so much different back then? This PPV was a success, but I don't see how Wrestlemania (which has gone up in buy rates over the years) can be expected to get at least a million buys or close, but the Rumble doing close to 600,000 is considered improbable.
            I am surpirsed anyone even buys PPVs anymore considering that you can stream any PPV you want for free. PPV today is completely different to what it was in the late 90s-early 00s. It's on the decline

Comment

I've said it before...I used to buy every PPV all year long about 10 years ago.

That changed to about half, to two or three to now one, Wrestlemania only.

There too expensive and too easy to watch for free for me, and I'm guessing millions other than me feel the same way.

Its a wonder they still put up numbers this big.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Comment

I actually think it's a disappointment given how much effort they put into building this event than any of the prior Rumbles.

This had what? 6 months of build where Punk was turned and established as a heel so The Rock could vanquish him and save us from his reign of doom? I can't think of any other Rumble that had that type of build, at least not in the past 5 years.

Let's review
                2012: Kane vs. John Cena
                2011: Miz vs. Randy Orton
                2010: Sheamus vs. Randy Orton/Rey Mysterio vs. The Undertaker
                2009: Edge vs. Jeff Hardy
                2008: Randy Orton vs. Jeff Hardy

None of them received the attention 2013 did, even 2008 which I felt the WWE went to a lot of effort into putting together. Considering the money they would have spent on The Rock and advertisement, I don't think the 23 000 increase would cover it, in-fact, I think those previous shows would have been more profitable.

Comment

Six months of build is a gross overstatement IMO. You're basing that on what, one promo?

Comment

Originally posted by KLockard23 View Post

Dial-up internet precluded pirates live streaming PPVs. When it comes to WrestleMania, they crack down more, plus it's WrestleMania and people are willing more to order it just based on brand value.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
                      Six months of build is a gross overstatement IMO. You're basing that on what, one promo?
                      Raw 1000 and how they booked accordingly. Let's not forget Punk was mocking The Rock post-1000 either with his 'Rock Bottom' stance and 'Boots 2 Faces' slogan. Even prior to Raw 1000, Punk was calling 'Dwayne' out.

However, fans knew from Raw 1000 on The Rock would be wrestling for the WWE Championship and that the match would most likely be against Punk.

However, it's important that I distinguish promotion and buildup. The match itself wasn't promoted until Punk/Rock went face to face on Raw post Ryback TLC. The buildup for the Rumble encounter began at Raw 1000.
                      Last edited by Big Pete; 03-12-2013, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Pete View Post
                        Raw 1000 and how they booked accordingly. Let's not forget Punk was mocking The Rock post-1000 either with his 'Rock Bottom' stance and 'Boots 2 Faces' slogan. Even prior to Raw 1000, Punk was calling 'Dwayne' out.

However, fans knew from Raw 1000 on The Rock would be wrestling for the WWE Championship and that the match would most likely be against Punk.
                        We knew it was going to happen. Whether the masses knew, I'm genuinely not sure.

Nevertheless, the build for the match started when Rock turned up on January 7, IMO.

Comment

We can both agree that a member of a WWE Championship match at the Rumble has never been decided that early.

Comment

Absolutely.

Comment

I purchased it this year because I thought stuff was actually going to happen;

-I thought the Rock had a chance at winning the title and he did
                              -I thought Cena had a chance at winning the Rumble
                              =Wrestlemania main event solidified at the Rumble.

It turned out to be a pretty important event as it began to set the stage for Wrestlemania.

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

Comment

Working...
                              X