Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Undertaker vs John Cena - Vince Isn't Interestesd

Originally posted by Kilgore View Post
    Cena vs. 'Taker would shatter the record in spamming finisher kickouts. They'd start by planning six, and maybe go up to eight.
    yeah and in the process render both finishers impotent. Not that it seems Taker will be needing it much longer...

Comment

Originally posted by mx518 View Post
      I'm actually a big fan of Roman and I am looking forward to Reigns vs Taker at Mania. And honestly, I really am rooting for Roman and I hope Roman kicks Takers ass.

But as far as money, promotion, buyrates, mainstream appeal - Undertaker is about the most mainstream legend that is still active on the roster. John Cena is easily one of the most mainstream wrestlers of all time. Everyone, both casual and hardcore fans know who both of these guys are.

It's arguable that Undertaker is more well known than Steve Austin even is. Most people that haven't ever even watched wrestling more than a handful of times, know who Undertaker is.

It has everything needed to set monstrous financial and statistic records.

Maybe they'll book Cena and Taker for Summerslam or something. I'd be down with that main event.
      It could be a decent match. My main reservation is does Reigns really deserve to retire this legend? Yeah, i know, in wrestling a lot of them just fade away or go out injured, but Taker has consistently made it a point to return for Mania for a decade, and i just think a veteran should do the deed and more veterans should've been his opponent the past 10 years. Of course, if it's not his last match then whatever

Comment

Originally posted by mx518 View Post
        I'm actually a big fan of Roman and I am looking forward to Reigns vs Taker at Mania. And honestly, I really am rooting for Roman and I hope Roman kicks Takers ass.

But as far as money, promotion, buyrates, mainstream appeal - Undertaker is about the most mainstream legend that is still active on the roster. John Cena is easily one of the most mainstream wrestlers of all time. Everyone, both casual and hardcore fans know who both of these guys are.

It's arguable that Undertaker is more well known than Steve Austin even is. Most people that haven't ever even watched wrestling more than a handful of times, know who Undertaker is.

It has everything needed to set monstrous financial and statistic records.

Maybe they'll book Cena and Taker for Summerslam or something. I'd be down with that main event.
        It could be a decent match. My main reservation is does Reigns really deserve to retire this legend? Yeah, i know, in wrestling a lot of them just fade away or go out injured, but Taker has consistently made it a point to return for Mania for a decade, and i just think a veteran should do the deed and more veterans should've been his opponent the past 10 years. Of course, if it's not his last match then whatever

Comment

Hot take.

WWE is too afraid to book the match, and Vince is craven over deciding which one he would've put over.

There really wouldn't have been a bigger match with bigger implications and more confusion as to who would win between John Cena or the Undertaker, title vs. streak.

And WWE didn't do it. Make excuses. "Undertaker is an attraction. John Cena's made. Give it to a guy who needs the rub. Both guys can be used in other matches to fill out a card."

Lame sauce. If Wrestlemania is about having the biggest show and generating the most revenue with the biggest names, the only reason this match didn't happen is because Vince McMahon was afraid to book it.

He didn't want to have John Cena go over the Undertaker to a chorus of boos when Cena was still the unquestioned #1 babyface in the company, because it'd be a referendum on his own booking decisions. He wasn't ready to ask Undertaker to give up the streak yet, knowing full well Taker probably wouldn't have any problem doing business, because Taker's no fool, and a marquis match like that would've been absurd amounts of money. And despite what some crazy irrational Cena haters might believe, John Cena isn't this ultra-conniving politician, and probably wouldn't have had any problem putting Undertaker over.

It all comes down to Vince McMahon either not having anyone with enough spine to tell him to book the match, or Vince himself being too gunshy to do it.

Weak sauce on WWE's part for never making this match a Wrestlemania main event. Utterly pathetic.
          Originally posted by mx518
          he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
          No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
          NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

Comment

Hot take.

WWE is too afraid to book the match, and Vince is craven over deciding which one he would've put over.

There really wouldn't have been a bigger match with bigger implications and more confusion as to who would win between John Cena or the Undertaker, title vs. streak.

And WWE didn't do it. Make excuses. "Undertaker is an attraction. John Cena's made. Give it to a guy who needs the rub. Both guys can be used in other matches to fill out a card."

Lame sauce. If Wrestlemania is about having the biggest show and generating the most revenue with the biggest names, the only reason this match didn't happen is because Vince McMahon was afraid to book it.

He didn't want to have John Cena go over the Undertaker to a chorus of boos when Cena was still the unquestioned #1 babyface in the company, because it'd be a referendum on his own booking decisions. He wasn't ready to ask Undertaker to give up the streak yet, knowing full well Taker probably wouldn't have any problem doing business, because Taker's no fool, and a marquis match like that would've been absurd amounts of money. And despite what some crazy irrational Cena haters might believe, John Cena isn't this ultra-conniving politician, and probably wouldn't have had any problem putting Undertaker over.

It all comes down to Vince McMahon either not having anyone with enough spine to tell him to book the match, or Vince himself being too gunshy to do it.

Weak sauce on WWE's part for never making this match a Wrestlemania main event. Utterly pathetic.
            he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
            No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
            NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

Comment

[MENTION=34279]Djm[/MENTION] just reading my mind over here. Really nothing to add to that. It's the only answer, it has to be.

Wrestlemania 29 should have been John Cena vs The Undertaker, title vs streak. Instead we got Once/Twice in a Lifetime and it sucked ass.

Wrestlemania 30. I like the ending we got, but if the WWE wanted title vs streak they could have obviously done it.

I'm only saying "title vs streak" because Cena needs something to lose. Career vs streak doesn't really work because Cena retiring just wouldn't be believable.

So let's say 30 goes the way it did with Lesnar ending the streak so he can eventually retire Goldberg and lose to Roman Reigns, and D-Bry still gets his Wrestlemania moment. Jump to 31. What we got was total bullshit.

Bray Wyatt "resurrects" The Undertaker so Undertaker can win a meaningless match. Why? Neither man benefited from it. Bray Wyatt gets to fight The Undertaker. Ooooo, yay for him.

Why not have Sting be the guy to call Undertaker back from the dead? Why not have Cena lure The Undertaker back by saying "there's only one guy I want to fight at Wrestlemania and I'm willing to put my title/career on the line to make it happen."

They could have done it at 32 too! Undertaker fought SHANE MCMAHON and the stipulation literally meant nothing!

Nah, man. Nah. The WWE/Vince was too scared and now it's too late.

Comment

[MENTION=34279]Djm[/MENTION] just reading my mind over here. Really nothing to add to that. It's the only answer, it has to be.

Wrestlemania 29 should have been John Cena vs The Undertaker, title vs streak. Instead we got Once/Twice in a Lifetime and it sucked ass.

Wrestlemania 30. I like the ending we got, but if the WWE wanted title vs streak they could have obviously done it.

I'm only saying "title vs streak" because Cena needs something to lose. Career vs streak doesn't really work because Cena retiring just wouldn't be believable.

So let's say 30 goes the way it did with Lesnar ending the streak so he can eventually retire Goldberg and lose to Roman Reigns, and D-Bry still gets his Wrestlemania moment. Jump to 31. What we got was total bullshit.

Bray Wyatt "resurrects" The Undertaker so Undertaker can win a meaningless match. Why? Neither man benefited from it. Bray Wyatt gets to fight The Undertaker. Ooooo, yay for him.

Why not have Sting be the guy to call Undertaker back from the dead? Why not have Cena lure The Undertaker back by saying "there's only one guy I want to fight at Wrestlemania and I'm willing to put my title/career on the line to make it happen."

They could have done it at 32 too! Undertaker fought SHANE MCMAHON and the stipulation literally meant nothing!

Nah, man. Nah. The WWE/Vince was too scared and now it's too late.

Comment

Other hot take: With the streak done, the match is now irrelevant.

Taker isn't around full-time to set up a feud, which was why most of his last Manias have been I WILL BE THE ONE TO FINALLY BEAT THE DEADMAN. This last one was set up only because he showed up when Strowman called out Reigns and Undertaker showed up like he was R-Truth or something.

The only real appeal was, can Cena beat the streak. Now that it's done let Undertaker retire.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
                  Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

Comment

Other hot take: With the streak done, the match is now irrelevant.

Taker isn't around full-time to set up a feud, which was why most of his last Manias have been I WILL BE THE ONE TO FINALLY BEAT THE DEADMAN. This last one was set up only because he showed up when Strowman called out Reigns and Undertaker showed up like he was R-Truth or something.

The only real appeal was, can Cena beat the streak. Now that it's done let Undertaker retire.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
                    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

Comment

Maybe Mark just wants to work with someone less physical in his last match so he don't end up in the hospital like he did with HHH and Lesnar. Roman wrestles those similar style of matches to where romans only physical move is the spear.

Also Romans idol is Bret Hart actually which is why he has a more technical style of wrestling. Wouldn't it make since for Roman to wrestle like his idol? Maybe Taker feels safe with Roman. Cena and Taker wrestled before so Mark knows better than anyone. Am I right?

Comment

Maybe Mark just wants to work with someone less physical in his last match so he don't end up in the hospital like he did with HHH and Lesnar. Roman wrestles those similar style of matches to where romans only physical move is the spear.

Also Romans idol is Bret Hart actually which is why he has a more technical style of wrestling. Wouldn't it make since for Roman to wrestle like his idol? Maybe Taker feels safe with Roman. Cena and Taker wrestled before so Mark knows better than anyone. Am I right?

Comment

CENA vs TAKER has more creative legs to stand on now than it ever did in my opinion.

Yes, Cena vs Taker lost a lot of appeal when Taker lost when based on the streak. Since it was the streak and Cena was superman, the hype was around whether they'd let Cena be "the one, the golden child, the franchise" to "rise above" and be "the man" to end the streak. There was a feeling of "because the WWE loves Cena and of course they'd give him THAT achievement"

However things have changed in my opinion. Actually for the better...here's why:

Whether Cena would have ended the streak, we'll never know. However it's still a huge match. Maybe bigger in terms of actual creative content and mic work. Now that Cena is on his high horse as a veteran, 16 time world champ, etc. It doesn't have to be about some streak. NOW IT'S ABOUT A CENA WHO FEELS HE'S ECLIPSED TAKER and TAKER WHO FEELS CENA IS GREAT, BUT NOT THAT GREAT. I think there is a somewhat realistic spin to the match well beyond some streak. One that boils down to both men's place in history. Cena has the titles and box office, but does he have the rep and respect of Taker? When they last had a real feud, Cena was still "a boy" in legacy terms while Taker was already a legend. Now Cena is back as a legend, and somewhat confident in challenging his place in history vs The Undertaker. Can you imagine a cocky Cena saying "I respect you dead man. But let's face it. You're the old man we use up dry. The man meant to mentor the upstarts. The workhorse to do what Vince says. So that I don't have to. I'm the guy that gets the titles. I'm the face. I'm the draw. You played your part. Now it may be time to step back."

Taker vs Sting was always a dream. Unfortunately they killed it with Sting losing to Triple H which takes the mystique out of him. There was an "unknown" factor to both men facing each other. An unknown where both men are known for being able to instill fear and know how to get under other guy's skin. However this being different because they are so much alike.ButI feel it was based on euro and Truple H killed it.

Comment

CENA vs TAKER has more creative legs to stand on now than it ever did in my opinion.

Yes, Cena vs Taker lost a lot of appeal when Taker lost when based on the streak. Since it was the streak and Cena was superman, the hype was around whether they'd let Cena be "the one, the golden child, the franchise" to "rise above" and be "the man" to end the streak. There was a feeling of "because the WWE loves Cena and of course they'd give him THAT achievement"

However things have changed in my opinion. Actually for the better...here's why:

Whether Cena would have ended the streak, we'll never know. However it's still a huge match. Maybe bigger in terms of actual creative content and mic work. Now that Cena is on his high horse as a veteran, 16 time world champ, etc. It doesn't have to be about some streak. NOW IT'S ABOUT A CENA WHO FEELS HE'S ECLIPSED TAKER and TAKER WHO FEELS CENA IS GREAT, BUT NOT THAT GREAT. I think there is a somewhat realistic spin to the match well beyond some streak. One that boils down to both men's place in history. Cena has the titles and box office, but does he have the rep and respect of Taker? When they last had a real feud, Cena was still "a boy" in legacy terms while Taker was already a legend. Now Cena is back as a legend, and somewhat confident in challenging his place in history vs The Undertaker. Can you imagine a cocky Cena saying "I respect you dead man. But let's face it. You're the old man we use up dry. The man meant to mentor the upstarts. The workhorse to do what Vince says. So that I don't have to. I'm the guy that gets the titles. I'm the face. I'm the draw. You played your part. Now it may be time to step back."

Taker vs Sting was always a dream. Unfortunately they killed it with Sting losing to Triple H which takes the mystique out of him. There was an "unknown" factor to both men facing each other. An unknown where both men are known for being able to instill fear and know how to get under other guy's skin. However this being different because they are so much alike.ButI feel it was based on euro and Truple H killed it.

Comment

Cena vs. 'Taker would shatter the record in spamming finisher kickouts. They'd start by planning six, and maybe go up to eight.
                              When I first read this, I laugh....then I came back to it a few days later then realize that Kilgore does have a point.

Comment

When I first read this, I laugh....then I came back to it a few days later then realize that Kilgore does have a point.

Comment

Working...
                                X