Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wrestling Pet Peeves

Originally posted by Djm View Post
    It's the idea that pro wrestling is something that has to be grounded in an actual athletic competition.

When everyone knows that it isn't real, trying to act like pro wrestling is a combat sport is absurd.
    Well that's how it was presented for the first 80 or 90 years and it worked for the most part. In the beginning pro wrestling was nothing more than amateur wrestling with a few tweaks. Some of the old kayfabe rules from as late as the 1980's actually had their foundation in the origins. The problem was that while it was real competition at first, there was always a carny aspect to the business. The guys would basically compete every night and then travel all day and compete again that night etc. Of course the guys got worn out and the bouts started to suffer. There were many matches that consisted of one guy just laying on top of another guy for an hour. Anyway, the story starts to get very cloudy around the beginning of the 20th century. I've read different stories on the first "worked matches". One story says that a guy once punched another guy in the nuts which the referee didn't see. The papers reported it and the next shows all sold out. They noticed how much bigger the crowds were when there was shenanigans" and this is where the sport ended and the entertainment began. However, as far as State regulatory agencies were concerned, everything was on the up and up. Guys were actually barred from towns/states or had purses stripped for a worked cheap shot. When Georgeous George came around, wrestling started being looked as entertainment and not taken serious by sports journalist. For the next 30 years or so wrestling promoters would argue vehemently that everything they did was real even no matter how ridiculous the stories or the performers became. Throughout the 1980's promoters still insisted it was all real. Vince McMahon was on the Letterman show in 1988 or 89 and Dave ask Vince how much of wrestling was real. Vince said it was all legit with a straight face while Letterman laughed and joked about wrestling prison guards(Bossman) and I think he joked about IRS(Rotunda). Anyway that's the background of wrestling(kayfabe) that I pulled from a bunch of different sources.

Comment

It's 2017.
      Originally posted by mx518
      he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
      No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
      NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

Comment

It's 2017.
        he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
        No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
        NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

Comment

Repeated finisher teasing or executing
          booking like fans forget things
          First set of inductees for Titans: Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Shawn Michaels, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and The Undertaker

Comment

Repeated finisher teasing or executing
            booking like fans forget things
            First set of inductees for Titans: Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Shawn Michaels, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and The Undertaker

Comment

It's 2017.
              You don't say.

Comment

It's 2017.
                You don't say.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
                  Pretty much everything you see in MMA either came from pro wrestling or was being used in pro wrestling long before MMA came along though.
                  I cringe when UFC talent or its fans bash pro wrestling for being fake. They act is if they are blessing those listening with some sort of secret knowledge that only a few privileged folks were privy to before they came along. Also, they are ignorant to the fact that if pro wrestling didn't exist, then they would probably not exist either. You can plainly see the connection if you research the early years of MMA. Hell Ken Shamrock was a pretty damn good pro wrestler prior to becoming a "professional" fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
                    Pretty much everything you see in MMA either came from pro wrestling or was being used in pro wrestling long before MMA came along though.
                    I cringe when UFC talent or its fans bash pro wrestling for being fake. They act is if they are blessing those listening with some sort of secret knowledge that only a few privileged folks were privy to before they came along. Also, they are ignorant to the fact that if pro wrestling didn't exist, then they would probably not exist either. You can plainly see the connection if you research the early years of MMA. Hell Ken Shamrock was a pretty damn good pro wrestler prior to becoming a "professional" fighter.

Comment

Partial list. I'm sure I'll think of more.

* My biggest pet peeve is SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT! C'mon! This is WRESTLING!
                      * Mixed gender tag teams
                      * Triple Threat/Fatal Four Way WITH A TITLE A STAKE.
                      * Commercials during matches. Actually, TNA did a marvelous job about a year and a half ago, during their Championship Tournament. One night, they had 8 matches -- NO COMMERCIALS DURING ANY OF THE MATCHES!
                      * Lack of squash matches on TV. With every televised match being main event/mid-card caliber, it cheapens the PPVs.
                      * Too many WWE PPVs! Not enough time to build story lines. PPVs are no longer special events. They're run of the mill and ordinary.
                      * Fakey backstage drama vignettes. Just let the story play out in the ring, or in a well spoken promo.
                      * Wrestlers on the National/World level who don't have mic skills. Eli Drake is the leader of the pack these days. Up an coming wrestlers would be well advised to study his promos. The guy is nothing but promo gold.
                      * Laurel van Ness jilted bride storyline.

That's it for now. I'll probably post more later.

Comment

Partial list. I'm sure I'll think of more.

* My biggest pet peeve is SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT! C'mon! This is WRESTLING!
                        * Mixed gender tag teams
                        * Triple Threat/Fatal Four Way WITH A TITLE A STAKE.
                        * Commercials during matches. Actually, TNA did a marvelous job about a year and a half ago, during their Championship Tournament. One night, they had 8 matches -- NO COMMERCIALS DURING ANY OF THE MATCHES!
                        * Lack of squash matches on TV. With every televised match being main event/mid-card caliber, it cheapens the PPVs.
                        * Too many WWE PPVs! Not enough time to build story lines. PPVs are no longer special events. They're run of the mill and ordinary.
                        * Fakey backstage drama vignettes. Just let the story play out in the ring, or in a well spoken promo.
                        * Wrestlers on the National/World level who don't have mic skills. Eli Drake is the leader of the pack these days. Up an coming wrestlers would be well advised to study his promos. The guy is nothing but promo gold.
                        * Laurel van Ness jilted bride storyline.

That's it for now. I'll probably post more later.

Comment

One that I notice a ton nowadays is when the wrestler is getting pinned but they have their eyes opened and are looking at the fucking ref as he makes his count. Right then and there you know that the wrestler is kicking out just before the 3 count and it totally just kills any drama there is to that pin fall. They do it a lot now. Even old school guys like Jericho I have seen do it on a fairly regular basis so it isn't strictly a new era wrestlers only doing it kind of thing but it's strange, I never noticed it at least to the point it is now until maybe the past couple years. I guess they don't trust the refs cadence.
                          Last edited by vendrell; 06-02-2017, 11:04 PM.

Comment

One that I notice a ton nowadays is when the wrestler is getting pinned but they have their eyes opened and are looking at the fucking ref as he makes his count. Right then and there you know that the wrestler is kicking out just before the 3 count and it totally just kills any drama there is to that pin fall. They do it a lot now. Even old school guys like Jericho I have seen do it on a fairly regular basis so it isn't strictly a new era wrestlers only doing it kind of thing but it's strange, I never noticed it at least to the point it is now until maybe the past couple years. I guess they don't trust the refs cadence.

Comment

It was awesome in NXT when the ref told them to "please kick out" as I guess they fucked up a finish so they couldn't be trusted...

Comment

It was awesome in NXT when the ref told them to "please kick out" as I guess they fucked up a finish so they couldn't be trusted...

Comment

Working...
                                X