Wrestling Pet Peeves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wrestling Pet Peeves

Most of these things don't bother me because wrestling kind of requires a certain suspension of disbelief.

If many of these things didn't happen, it might be a lot more boring.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Comment

The main thing that bothers me these days is the "missed spinning clothesline to Cena, Cena does the spinning powerbomb" sequence that happens in every John Cena match. I don't mind that Cena does the other "moves of doom" like the five knuckle shuffle and the shoulder tackles...everyone has signature moves. But that sequence into the spinning powerbomb that he's been doing for 10 years kills me.

No one ever goes for that wild spinning clothesline UNLESS it's after Cena's shoulder tackles/before his powerbomb. It makes no sense why anyone would attempt that... Aside from matches against Cena, I've never seen anyone go for a clothesline like that where they spin their body around and then end up facing AWAY from the opponent.

Comment

I really get annoyed by the fact that wins and losses mean nothing, also the fact that finishers account for most match finishes. What do signature moves/general moves mean if they don't finish a match ONCE in a while?

Comment

I remember when Eddie got pinned with the Spinebuster from Batista (fucking love this match btw)... seemed so bizarre.

Comment

Hardcore matches. In a normal match one weapon hit will usually end a match. In hardcore matches your endurance automatically increases were normal finishers don't work and one weapon hit won't end a match.
            TNA Forum Title History
            Forum Championship (1 time)
            Tag Team Championship (3 time)
            X Championship (2 time)
            Internet Championship (3 time)

Comment

Heel stables who keep winning and winning for months straight when its way past time they should have lost. The S.H.I.E.L.D. being the most recent. Yeah, they finally lost as a team.....three months after they should have however imo. Hell, Heels in general that do this. Its no fun if you don't let the good guys win sometimes!

Random face/heel turns with no builds.

But my biggest pet peeve of all is the stupid '(insert big name) will be returning in (so many weeks or days) so instead of lettiing it be a shocker, we gotta promote the fuck out of it until nobody cares to sell more tickets' crap. Whatever happed to the Surprise return. Hell some of the best moments in wrestling history happed because of a surprise return.

Comment

As a fan of heels, it always annoyed me when a long time face would turn heel, and immediately be incapable of winning clean anymore. A month before, Superman. Now he can't beat midcarders without shenanigans. I don't mind a chair shot, because you're an evil motherfucker. I like that. But your fellow evil buddy running in because you're about to lose to some jabroni who wasn't in your league when you were a goody-goody, I do not go for.

$

Comment

WWE is guilty of this a lot: wrestlers wearing their ring gear when they're not booked to have an actual match.

Comment

Originally posted by TempestH View Post
                    WWE is guilty of this a lot: wrestlers wearing their ring gear when they're not booked to have an actual match.
                    Hey man, who doesn't love just hanging out in their underwear all the time?

Comment

The only thing that really bothers me is when wrestlers go off the top rope into someone else's finisher when the attacker CLEARLY was just jumping off the top rope.

The end to HBK-Benjamin in 05 reminds me of this. What the hell was Benjamin trying to do?

There are countless other matches where the attacker literally just jumps off the top turnbuckle making no attempt to do a move and gets superkicked/RKO'd/whatever.

If I remember correctly, during the Carlito/Orton match, Carlito literally just dove face first into the RKO.
                      HAYZE

Comment

Never question the effectiveness of the dreaded DOUBLE AX-HANDLE~!

Comment

Originally posted by MexicanMike View Post
                          The only thing that really bothers me is when wrestlers go off the top rope into someone else's finisher when the attacker CLEARLY was just jumping off the top rope.

The end to HBK-Benjamin in 05 reminds me of this. What the hell was Benjamin trying to do?

There are countless other matches where the attacker literally just jumps off the top turnbuckle making no attempt to do a move and gets superkicked/RKO'd/whatever.

If I remember correctly, during the Carlito/Orton match, Carlito literally just dove face first into the RKO.
                          To add to that, the people who are attempting to jump off onto someone who is on the ground, but the prone opponent lifts his leg. The guy jumping never looks like he is going for anything other than the intended impact of taking a boot to the face.

Comment

How wrestlers make the taunts for their finishers. Um hello, if I am wrestling you if I can see Sheamus slapping his chest saying "borgue" over and over, I think I will either roll out of the ring or just stay down.

Another is when wrestlers use common moves as a finisher or someone uses a finisher as a common move. What makes one person doing a move weaker than another. I mean a Lariat vs. clothesline makes sense but what makes a Shawn Michaels superkick more powerful than say Lance Storm's?

Another is convoluted moves like the Orton middle rope DDT the way he does it now. When he originally did it with a recovering opponent on the apron and drag him rather than set it up similar to the slingshot suplex like now. The original made sense. Now it looks lame.

Five moves of doom when it isn't worked into a match like Bret's five moves. He may hit the sequence during smaller matches against jobbers and at most midcarders but the upper midcard or main eventers and PPV matches, he would due the legsweep, elbow and backbreaker but it wouldn't lead to the Sharpshooter. Compare this to a Cena, Sheamus or to an extent Punk and their chains are rarely broken.

I also hate moves like the spinning headscissors when other wrestlers do not try to get the opponenent off and just take it. This comes from a lucha fan but seeing a deja vu or whilrybird style headscissors and the receiver just takes it annoys me particularly when it is a feud where the two wrestlers know eachother like themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by MKPunk View Post
                              Another is when wrestlers use common moves as a finisher or someone uses a finisher as a common move. What makes one person doing a move weaker than another. I mean a Lariat vs. clothesline makes sense but what makes a Shawn Michaels superkick more powerful than say Lance Storm's?
                              Well Lance and Stevie were also able to beat people with their super kicks. What annoys the hell out of me is how can someone lose to a neckbreaker but not lose to a superplex.

Comment

Originally posted by Kara View Post
                                Well Lance and Stevie were also able to beat people with their super kicks. What annoys the hell out of me is how can someone lose to a neckbreaker but not lose to a superplex.
                                There are different neckbreakers. Like that jumping neckbreaker that Paul Burchill used for a bit, that was legit, same with the Rude Awakening. Other neckbreakers though, I agree.

Comment

Working...
                                X