Second Most Important Belt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Most Important Belt?

I think most people would agree the top belt in the industry in the main/real WWE Championship. What would you say is the next most important major/world title? Is it the IWGP?

Re: Second Most Important Belt?

Depends what angle you're coming from. If you're a professional wrestler, nine times out of ten the belt you'd want to hold the most is the WWE Championship. It's got the branding, it's got the history, and it's the defining belt of the biggest wrestling company in the world. If you hold that belt, you're going to get paid way more than most other wrestlers and you'll likely be a worldwide star, something no other company can offer.

However, if we look at it from a kayfabe/prestige point of view, right now I'd put the Universal Championship and the IWGP Championship above the WWE Championship. Mainly because of who the champions are and how the title has been booked in recent history. The last two Universal champions are Goldberg and Brock Lesnar, who are both booked tremendously. Lesnar is booked above the rest of the roster, to the point where beating him is a huge accomplishment. Beating Jinder Mahal, despite his good booking, not so much. However, go back not even a year and you have Kevin Owens in his poor Universal reign and the likes of AJ Styles and Cena holding the WWE Championship. Winning the WWE Championship was a much better kayfabe accomplishment than beating the weakly-booked Owens.

The problem with the top WWE belts is that they aren't booked with any consistency. The IWGP belt has been held by the very best wrestlers, and defended in the very best matches, for a very long time. Since 2011 only four guys have held the belt: Tanahashi, Okada, Styles, and Naito. It's a very hard title to win. Holding that belt means you are unquestionably the best wrestler in the company, maybe even the world. If you hold one of the two WWE world titles, you might not be the best world champion, and there's a handful of guys who are booked above any title. IWGP is king.

Comment

Depends what angle you're coming from. If you're a professional wrestler, nine times out of ten the belt you'd want to hold the most is the WWE Championship. It's got the branding, it's got the history, and it's the defining belt of the biggest wrestling company in the world. If you hold that belt, you're going to get paid way more than most other wrestlers and you'll likely be a worldwide star, something no other company can offer.

However, if we look at it from a kayfabe/prestige point of view, right now I'd put the Universal Championship and the IWGP Championship above the WWE Championship. Mainly because of who the champions are and how the title has been booked in recent history. The last two Universal champions are Goldberg and Brock Lesnar, who are both booked tremendously. Lesnar is booked above the rest of the roster, to the point where beating him is a huge accomplishment. Beating Jinder Mahal, despite his good booking, not so much. However, go back not even a year and you have Kevin Owens in his poor Universal reign and the likes of AJ Styles and Cena holding the WWE Championship. Winning the WWE Championship was a much better kayfabe accomplishment than beating the weakly-booked Owens.

The problem with the top WWE belts is that they aren't booked with any consistency. The IWGP belt has been held by the very best wrestlers, and defended in the very best matches, for a very long time. Since 2011 only four guys have held the belt: Tanahashi, Okada, Styles, and Naito. It's a very hard title to win. Holding that belt means you are unquestionably the best wrestler in the company, maybe even the world. If you hold one of the two WWE world titles, you might not be the best world champion, and there's a handful of guys who are booked above any title. IWGP is king.

Comment

If you're in the business, I'd imagine the WWE title would be it, with the IWGP being a STRONG #2. Unless you're born and bred with all WWE and know of nothing else in wrestling, being IWGP Champion and having a career at the top of New Japan Pro Wrestling would be pretty good, I'd imagine.

But that's really how it is with everyone. If you're just a WWE-only fan, the only titles that are important are the WWE Title and maybe the IC Title.
        Originally posted by mx518
        he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
        No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
        NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

Comment

If you're in the business, I'd imagine the WWE title would be it, with the IWGP being a STRONG #2. Unless you're born and bred with all WWE and know of nothing else in wrestling, being IWGP Champion and having a career at the top of New Japan Pro Wrestling would be pretty good, I'd imagine.

But that's really how it is with everyone. If you're just a WWE-only fan, the only titles that are important are the WWE Title and maybe the IC Title.
          he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
          No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
          NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

Comment

I'll have to give the nod to IWGP for the same reason mentioned: the best wrestler holds the title. There is no "he's above he belt" ... all the top guys want to be IWGP Champion.

The WWE Championship is No. 2, even given the current titleholder, because I think this type of ranking needs to have a wider view than just "who's champion today."

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Comment

I'll have to give the nod to IWGP for the same reason mentioned: the best wrestler holds the title. There is no "he's above he belt" ... all the top guys want to be IWGP Champion.

The WWE Championship is No. 2, even given the current titleholder, because I think this type of ranking needs to have a wider view than just "who's champion today."

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Comment

I would say WWE Championship (which I consider the WWE Title and Universal Title both to be that, just split to separate shows)

Number two is the IWGP Championship

Number three to me will probably be unpopular...still the Intercontinental Championship. I know at times it's been pushed aside by WWE, but the lineage alone keeps it ranked highly to me.

Fourth would actually be the NXT Championship because it's basically WWE's way of saying you're going to be a big part of their future. That's a big defining moment/Championship.

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

I'M BACK BAYBAY!!!

Comment

I would say WWE Championship (which I consider the WWE Title and Universal Title both to be that, just split to separate shows)

Number two is the IWGP Championship

Number three to me will probably be unpopular...still the Intercontinental Championship. I know at times it's been pushed aside by WWE, but the lineage alone keeps it ranked highly to me.

Fourth would actually be the NXT Championship because it's basically WWE's way of saying you're going to be a big part of their future. That's a big defining moment/Championship.

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

I'M BACK BAYBAY!!!

Comment

Maybe the ROH World title. The WWE respects it enough to sometimes mention it. And aren't most of ROH belts shown on New Japan programs. And usually only maybe the tag champions are shown on ROH tv. I have only seen WWE and whatever TNA/IW/GFW is currently calling themselves recently so I could wrong.
                    TNA Forum Title History
                    Forum Championship (1 time)
                    Tag Team Championship (3 time)
                    X Championship (2 time)
                    Internet Championship (3 time)

Comment

Maybe the ROH World title. The WWE respects it enough to sometimes mention it. And aren't most of ROH belts shown on New Japan programs. And usually only maybe the tag champions are shown on ROH tv. I have only seen WWE and whatever TNA/IW/GFW is currently calling themselves recently so I could wrong.
                      TNA Forum Title History
                      Forum Championship (1 time)
                      Tag Team Championship (3 time)
                      X Championship (2 time)
                      Internet Championship (3 time)

Comment

One thing I would say about the WWE belts.

Apart from the world titles, I would put any of the NXT titles above the other WWE belts. The nXt belts are treated as being important, whereas in WWE Proper, if ain't the world title, it don't mean jack shit

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

Comment

One thing I would say about the WWE belts.

Apart from the world titles, I would put any of the NXT titles above the other WWE belts. The nXt belts are treated as being important, whereas in WWE Proper, if ain't the world title, it don't mean jack shit

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

Comment

Agreed with HilaryFan. The NXT title is a much more worthwhile prize than any of the midcard WWE titles. Same for the tag titles and the women's titles. NXT's booking is hardly revolutionary, but they do a great job in keeping their champions strong and building up credible challenges.

Comment

Agreed with HilaryFan. The NXT title is a much more worthwhile prize than any of the midcard WWE titles. Same for the tag titles and the women's titles. NXT's booking is hardly revolutionary, but they do a great job in keeping their champions strong and building up credible challenges.

Comment

Working...
                              X