Billy Corgan to purchase the NWA.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy Corgan to purchase the NWA.

Yes, it's still a thing that exists. Kinda.

Smashing Pumpkins front man and former TNA Wrestling President Billy Corgan has agreed in principle to purchase the National Wrestling Alliance, PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources. The deal in place would see Corgan purchase the name, rights, trademarks to the NWA as well as the rights and possession of the NWA championship belt.

Formed in 1948, at one point the National Wrestling Alliance was the largest and most well known governing body in professional wrestling, a group put together by promoters to share one World champion and help share talent and protect each other's interests. The NWA Board of Directors would control who the shared World champion was and winning the belt was legitimately a feat in itself, because the champion was chosen for legitimate toughness, drawing power and the ability to enter member areas and help spark their business. For decades, the NWA champion was considered the most important champion in the business, often touring and traveling the world to defend the belt for member promotions. For older fans, the NWA championship was the belt in professional wrestling and was the measuring stick for greatness and what defined old school professional wrestling.
    Originally posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Originally posted by mx518
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

Re: Billy Corgan to purchase the NWA.

The NWA hasn't been relevant since 1993. This news changes nothing.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

Comment

The NWA hasn't been relevant since 1993. This news changes nothing.

Still My Champ
      Thanks, surrender.

Comment

God Bless Mr. Corgan. I hope he finally finds a place in the pro wrestling world.

He's a good creative mind, love the Resistance Pro stuff from his era.

And yeah, I think there's a certain value in the NWA name. (Though, he could just take that money and start his own promotion and probably be better off, IMHO.)

The thing is, though, it can't be a governing body. I like the idea of what Dave marquez is doing with the United Wrestling Network (Although, it's DOA, apparently.)

A governing body can be fun but extremely hard and hurtful to the art of pro wrestling. Too many cooks in the kitchen, and it makes things predictable.

But the NWA has been there and done that. FOr them I would like to see them finally become a promotion. That's what the NWA needs to be, leave the governing body days behind.

Comment

God Bless Mr. Corgan. I hope he finally finds a place in the pro wrestling world.

He's a good creative mind, love the Resistance Pro stuff from his era.

And yeah, I think there's a certain value in the NWA name. (Though, he could just take that money and start his own promotion and probably be better off, IMHO.)

The thing is, though, it can't be a governing body. I like the idea of what Dave marquez is doing with the United Wrestling Network (Although, it's DOA, apparently.)

A governing body can be fun but extremely hard and hurtful to the art of pro wrestling. Too many cooks in the kitchen, and it makes things predictable.

But the NWA has been there and done that. FOr them I would like to see them finally become a promotion. That's what the NWA needs to be, leave the governing body days behind.

Comment

The cycle begins again! A new TNA arises! 'Tis a glorious day... Heh.

Comment

The cycle begins again! A new TNA arises! 'Tis a glorious day... Heh.

Comment

What exactly do you buy when you buy the NWA?? Bruce Tharpe must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Just let it die already.

Comment

What exactly do you buy when you buy the NWA?? Bruce Tharpe must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Just let it die already.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaskedOtter View Post

Just let it die already.
                    Exactly. I wouldn't have done it.

HOWEVER! If I were the artist type, and Mr. Corgan (Should I take a page out of Allie's book and call him Mr. Billy?) most definitely is, I'd have a lot of fun playing with the history and name and the tradition ...

It's one of those things where it might just be kind of cool to have.

But yeah, if it was me, I would have passed and just did my own thing.

BTW, interesting thing I read on one of the articles, Mr. Corgan, if he does buy this, has to now worry about the "Member Promotions."

How will he handle that? Will he kick some out, only focus on some? Which ones will he focus on? SAW? Houston? Inspire Pro?

Or will he do what I think he should be doing and consolidate some of the major ones into an honest to God promotion.

Could you imagine all these promotions that do one show a month COMBINING into a mega promotion that could potentially do upwards of 30 shows a year?

Think about it: Just Take, SAW, SMokey Mountain, Houston, Inspire Pro all by themselves?

IF each of those promotions does one show a month that's one show every single week! If these guys can work together ... could be a big deal.

- - - Updated - - -

That's plenty of room for one TV taping a month and a PPV every month as well.

I mean, even Ring of Honor cant' figure that shit out ...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaskedOtter View Post

Just let it die already.
                      Exactly. I wouldn't have done it.

HOWEVER! If I were the artist type, and Mr. Corgan (Should I take a page out of Allie's book and call him Mr. Billy?) most definitely is, I'd have a lot of fun playing with the history and name and the tradition ...

It's one of those things where it might just be kind of cool to have.

But yeah, if it was me, I would have passed and just did my own thing.

BTW, interesting thing I read on one of the articles, Mr. Corgan, if he does buy this, has to now worry about the "Member Promotions."

How will he handle that? Will he kick some out, only focus on some? Which ones will he focus on? SAW? Houston? Inspire Pro?

Or will he do what I think he should be doing and consolidate some of the major ones into an honest to God promotion.

Could you imagine all these promotions that do one show a month COMBINING into a mega promotion that could potentially do upwards of 30 shows a year?

Think about it: Just Take, SAW, SMokey Mountain, Houston, Inspire Pro all by themselves?

IF each of those promotions does one show a month that's one show every single week! If these guys can work together ... could be a big deal.

- - - Updated - - -

That's plenty of room for one TV taping a month and a PPV every month as well.

I mean, even Ring of Honor cant' figure that shit out ...

Comment

I just love how Billy Corgan is a wrestling super fan.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                            Just one thing I'm concerned about.

Making himself an on air talent. Dixie did it, Billy did it in TNA and even RPro. It seems like everyone who owns a wrestling company does it.

The only guy who barely does it anymore is the guy who made it popular, Vince.

I think it's just one of those things people take for granted. "If I ever buy a promotion I gotta be the commissioner.

I would hope Mr. Billy does not ever actually appear at a show. (As part of the product, that is.) We desperately need his mind, not his mic skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                              Just one thing I'm concerned about.

Making himself an on air talent. Dixie did it, Billy did it in TNA and even RPro. It seems like everyone who owns a wrestling company does it.

The only guy who barely does it anymore is the guy who made it popular, Vince.

I think it's just one of those things people take for granted. "If I ever buy a promotion I gotta be the commissioner.

I would hope Mr. Billy does not ever actually appear at a show. (As part of the product, that is.) We desperately need his mind, not his mic skills.

Comment

Working...
                              X