Fave Five: 2017 Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fave Five: 2017 Edition

Use this thread to talk about your five favorites in wrestling. Was gonna put this in WWE because I'm sure most, if not all, are in the Evil Empire... but if someone likes one of those no name B-levels guys they call New Japan main eventers I want them to feel included. I'll go first.

THE REVIVAL

After American Alpha left NXT they were the only reason I cared about the tag division. I watched both episodes of Raw since they debuted, although I skipped around. I'm not insane. I don't have Cornette reasons for liking them, but I'm sure there's some overlap. While it's clear Dawson is the clear better mic guy, I think at this point both guys work well because of the team aspect and neither is a Jannetty.

CHARLOTTE (FLAIR)

Back in NXT I was fully on board with Sasha. It wasn't until they debuted and were set for a WM triple threat that I truly started to appreciate Charlotte. I am sure the fact that she is shoved down our throats plays a factor, but unlike in the past it wasn't totally unwanted. She is head and shoulders above the Horsewomen and all other female talent in my book. Some might be better on the mic, but she is the total package. Give her all the belts. Ya know that HHH meme? Do it.

ALEXA BLISS

I liked her as a babyface blowing fairydust, but once she turned heel it just clicked baybay. And when she got drafted to SD! it just went into overdrive. There's obvious parallels to 2004 heel Trish here, but there's plenty to call her own. Yeah, the Harley Quinn stuff can be grating if you're not a fan... but it's the current hotness. Go to a convention and try and tell me 90% of the cosplays aren't Quinn and Deadpool. Not the best worker in the world, but I think she's serviceable.

AJ STYLES

The only redeeming thing about JBL is the way he puts over AJ as the pinnacle of DIZ BIZNESS. And be honest... has he ever had a bad theme going all the way back to his TNA days? Best worker in the world? Yes. So glad he didn't move to Raw and can stay away from the Shield circlejerk. AJ is the man... just don't tuck your head in for the Clash!

THE MIZ & MARYSE... KEVIN OWENS

Miz moving brands is a tragedy. On SD! I could have seen him moving to the world title. On Raw... LOL. I'm sure he'll make it work, but there's too much of a crowd on the flagship. Plus ya know Bork. Kevin Owens... hated his run on top. The way it started and the way it ended. This week on SD! won me over again. His Talking Smack segment... that's the Kevin I love. Before the shakeup it would've been Miz, but I think it's Owens going forward. Time will tell.

Your turn!

Re: Fave Five: 2017 Edition

In no particular order:

Katsuyori Shibata
    My favourite wrestler for the past six months. I've gone out of my way to see all of his big matches, not just in NJPW. I've seen his RPW matches against Zack Sabre Jr. (twice), Chris Hero and Matt Riddle. I sought out the Singapore NJPW show with EVIL. Not all of these matches are amazing. Some of them are pretty routine. But Shibata is a draw. I want to see everything he does. There's something about the way he wrestles and carries himself that I find utterly compelling. Djm put it best when he said Shibata's personality is that he has no personality. It sounds weird that that should be interesting, but somehow it is. He's an honourable, tough-as-nails fighter who wants to beat the best and be the best. When I started following NJPW a couple of years ago I didn't think that highly of Shibata. I thought he was too tropey. He just threw in the strike exchanges and no-sells into his matches with no rhyme or reason just because that's what you do in strong style. To an extent, I think that is true. But something clicked in 2016. Maybe it was working longer matches with a variety of wrestlers, young and old, foreign and familiar. Suddenly he learnt how to use his trademark spots effectively, tailoring them to each opponent and each story. He became a master of his craft, demonstrated most effectively by being one half of one of the greatest matches I've ever seen against Okada.

Kazuchida Okada
    Okada is never a wrestler I've actively rooted for. The way I feel about Okada resembles how most of the WWE fanbase feel about Roman Reigns. His push is forced, he's the boss' golden boy, he's shoved down our throats. I have a natural inclination towards resenting him, I guess because of a natural tendency to rage against the machine. However his string of big matches over the last year has told me that Okada absolutely deserves to be where he is. He's the best in ring worker in the world right now. His matches with Omega and Shibata are regarded amongst the best ever. His recent matches with Marufuji, Suzuki and Ibushi (Tiger Mask W) are all classics in the eyes of many (including mine except the Suzuki match). I don't think he's a perfect worker, he has some pretty big flaws, but as time goes on I'm seeing a greater maturity and a huge reduction in those flaws. Look at how good he is already, and consider that he's probably not even in his prime yet. The way it's going, 2017 could be the best in-ring year of wrestling in a very long time, and Okada plays the biggest part in that.

Kenny Omega
    Amazing worker who has my favourite moveset of any current wrestler. Also has one of the best characters in the industry. Leaving the then-stale junior division is the best thing that's ever happened to him. While he doesn't quite have the quantity of great matches as Okada, he already has two MOTYCs and I'm sure many more to come.

Tetsuya Naito
    Everyone raves about Matt Hardy's reinvention, and rightfully so, But Naito's character change is just as good if you ask me. At the start of 2015 Naito was a white meat babyface, great in the ring but basically an inferior version of the likes of Tanahashi and Okada. Then he went to Mexico for a while and everything changed. He entered the 2015 G1 Climax with a completely new persona. He had a glazed over, zombie-like expression. He was completely apathetic towards the referee, being bested in a match, the rules, wins and losses, everything. He would deliberately take minutes to take his suit off, irritating his opponents. it was captivating to watch night after night. Since then he got over, he has formed the popular stable Los Ingobernables de Japon, he has become the second biggest draw in the company and the top merch seller, while having a brief run with the top title and putting on a wealth of fantastic matches. He has constantly made small tweaks to his character to keep himself fresh and relevant. Before Shibata's rise to the top in late 2016, Naito was, to quote the Miz, the most must-see wrestler in the company.

AJ Styles
    The sole exception to the rule that wrestlers from Japan, the independents or NXT become less interesting to watch when they reach the main roster. At first, AJ appeared to be heading towards the same route when he had a pretty dire debut feud against Chris Jericho. Styles appeared to have lost his confidence he got from Japan, and Jericho wasn't a great sparring partner. After that, things changed. He had two great matches with Roman Reigns, got drafted to Smackdown, and became the best wrestler in the company. He got his confident heel swagger back, he cut great promo after great promo while backing it up in the ring with classic after classic. He made a joke storyling with Ellsworth far better than it should have been, and got all his credibility back in a matter of seconds when he killed Ellsworth with a strike combination. Easily the best wrestler in the WWE, one of the best in the world, and the only one in WWE I consistently go out of my way to watch.

Comment

In no particular order:

Katsuyori Shibata
      My favourite wrestler for the past six months. I've gone out of my way to see all of his big matches, not just in NJPW. I've seen his RPW matches against Zack Sabre Jr. (twice), Chris Hero and Matt Riddle. I sought out the Singapore NJPW show with EVIL. Not all of these matches are amazing. Some of them are pretty routine. But Shibata is a draw. I want to see everything he does. There's something about the way he wrestles and carries himself that I find utterly compelling. Djm put it best when he said Shibata's personality is that he has no personality. It sounds weird that that should be interesting, but somehow it is. He's an honourable, tough-as-nails fighter who wants to beat the best and be the best. When I started following NJPW a couple of years ago I didn't think that highly of Shibata. I thought he was too tropey. He just threw in the strike exchanges and no-sells into his matches with no rhyme or reason just because that's what you do in strong style. To an extent, I think that is true. But something clicked in 2016. Maybe it was working longer matches with a variety of wrestlers, young and old, foreign and familiar. Suddenly he learnt how to use his trademark spots effectively, tailoring them to each opponent and each story. He became a master of his craft, demonstrated most effectively by being one half of one of the greatest matches I've ever seen against Okada.

Kazuchida Okada
      Okada is never a wrestler I've actively rooted for. The way I feel about Okada resembles how most of the WWE fanbase feel about Roman Reigns. His push is forced, he's the boss' golden boy, he's shoved down our throats. I have a natural inclination towards resenting him, I guess because of a natural tendency to rage against the machine. However his string of big matches over the last year has told me that Okada absolutely deserves to be where he is. He's the best in ring worker in the world right now. His matches with Omega and Shibata are regarded amongst the best ever. His recent matches with Marufuji, Suzuki and Ibushi (Tiger Mask W) are all classics in the eyes of many (including mine except the Suzuki match). I don't think he's a perfect worker, he has some pretty big flaws, but as time goes on I'm seeing a greater maturity and a huge reduction in those flaws. Look at how good he is already, and consider that he's probably not even in his prime yet. The way it's going, 2017 could be the best in-ring year of wrestling in a very long time, and Okada plays the biggest part in that.

Kenny Omega
      Amazing worker who has my favourite moveset of any current wrestler. Also has one of the best characters in the industry. Leaving the then-stale junior division is the best thing that's ever happened to him. While he doesn't quite have the quantity of great matches as Okada, he already has two MOTYCs and I'm sure many more to come.

Tetsuya Naito
      Everyone raves about Matt Hardy's reinvention, and rightfully so, But Naito's character change is just as good if you ask me. At the start of 2015 Naito was a white meat babyface, great in the ring but basically an inferior version of the likes of Tanahashi and Okada. Then he went to Mexico for a while and everything changed. He entered the 2015 G1 Climax with a completely new persona. He had a glazed over, zombie-like expression. He was completely apathetic towards the referee, being bested in a match, the rules, wins and losses, everything. He would deliberately take minutes to take his suit off, irritating his opponents. it was captivating to watch night after night. Since then he got over, he has formed the popular stable Los Ingobernables de Japon, he has become the second biggest draw in the company and the top merch seller, while having a brief run with the top title and putting on a wealth of fantastic matches. He has constantly made small tweaks to his character to keep himself fresh and relevant. Before Shibata's rise to the top in late 2016, Naito was, to quote the Miz, the most must-see wrestler in the company.

AJ Styles
      The sole exception to the rule that wrestlers from Japan, the independents or NXT become less interesting to watch when they reach the main roster. At first, AJ appeared to be heading towards the same route when he had a pretty dire debut feud against Chris Jericho. Styles appeared to have lost his confidence he got from Japan, and Jericho wasn't a great sparring partner. After that, things changed. He had two great matches with Roman Reigns, got drafted to Smackdown, and became the best wrestler in the company. He got his confident heel swagger back, he cut great promo after great promo while backing it up in the ring with classic after classic. He made a joke storyling with Ellsworth far better than it should have been, and got all his credibility back in a matter of seconds when he killed Ellsworth with a strike combination. Easily the best wrestler in the WWE, one of the best in the world, and the only one in WWE I consistently go out of my way to watch.

Comment

I'm sure it will change frequently, but at the moment my list is:

1. AJ STYLES
        2. SHINSUKE NAKAMURA
        3. KEVIN OWENS
        4. THE REVIVAL
        5. ALEXA BLISS

sigpic

Comment

I'm sure it will change frequently, but at the moment my list is:

1. AJ STYLES
          2. SHINSUKE NAKAMURA
          3. KEVIN OWENS
          4. THE REVIVAL
          5. ALEXA BLISS

sigpic

Comment

Here's mine.

1. AJ Styles
            2. Shinsuke Nakamura
            3. Becky Lynch
            4. The Revival
            5. Charlotte Flair

Still My Champ
            Thanks, surrender.

Comment

Here's mine.

1. AJ Styles
              2. Shinsuke Nakamura
              3. Becky Lynch
              4. The Revival
              5. Charlotte Flair

Still My Champ
              Thanks, surrender.

Comment

Sorry, I'm lazy...and it's 3:00am, Holy Shit

1.)AJ Styles
                2.)Alexa Bliss
                3.)The Miz
                4.)Kevin Owens
                5)Becky Lynch

-chaos-
                "My hit to miss ratio is sadness!"

Comment

Sorry, I'm lazy...and it's 3:00am, Holy Shit

1.)AJ Styles
                  2.)Alexa Bliss
                  3.)The Miz
                  4.)Kevin Owens
                  5)Becky Lynch

-chaos-
                  "My hit to miss ratio is sadness!"

Comment

i thought this was gonna flop but clearly it is because most people agree with my list!

Comment

i thought this was gonna flop but clearly it is because most people agree with my list!

Comment

Omega. I missed the ball on him and just got into him this year. And glad I did. He is on another level totally.

Adam Cole. A trend will be forming here. Cole is a guy I utterly wrote off in CZW. His cold feud with Omega is top notch though and I love his ring style.

The Bucks of Youth. The last part of the Dream Team. I first saw them live as being billed as the Jackson Two for a local fed. They hit More Bang for your Buck and I was floored. Not seen a team like them since the Backseat Boyz. Since they they added the superkick gimmick and the crazier new double teams like the meltzer driver and just get better and better. I love their Being the Elite videos as well.

Charlotte. I fucking hated her when she debuted, but damn she got good fast. Love how she can bring in a lot of old school style with the new diva style. Her heel work is just top notch.

Bliss. Sure she rips off Trish but she says outright she loved Trish. She needs some work in the ring, but fuck, she can work WWE crowd like Lacey used to work the RoH ones. I love that she works the crowd in a completely different way than Charlotte, which makes things even better.
                        Flowers gathered in the morning,
                        Afternoon they blossom on,
                        Still are withered by the evening:
                        You can be me when I'm gone.

Comment

Omega. I missed the ball on him and just got into him this year. And glad I did. He is on another level totally.

Adam Cole. A trend will be forming here. Cole is a guy I utterly wrote off in CZW. His cold feud with Omega is top notch though and I love his ring style.

The Bucks of Youth. The last part of the Dream Team. I first saw them live as being billed as the Jackson Two for a local fed. They hit More Bang for your Buck and I was floored. Not seen a team like them since the Backseat Boyz. Since they they added the superkick gimmick and the crazier new double teams like the meltzer driver and just get better and better. I love their Being the Elite videos as well.

Charlotte. I fucking hated her when she debuted, but damn she got good fast. Love how she can bring in a lot of old school style with the new diva style. Her heel work is just top notch.

Bliss. Sure she rips off Trish but she says outright she loved Trish. She needs some work in the ring, but fuck, she can work WWE crowd like Lacey used to work the RoH ones. I love that she works the crowd in a completely different way than Charlotte, which makes things even better.
                          Flowers gathered in the morning,
                          Afternoon they blossom on,
                          Still are withered by the evening:
                          You can be me when I'm gone.

Comment

Surprised you didn't like Cole in CZW. His heel run as junior champ is what made me a fan.

Comment

Surprised you didn't like Cole in CZW. His heel run as junior champ is what made me a fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X