Undertaker: In the running for GOAT?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undertaker: In the running for GOAT?

Longevity, performing at a high level, versatility, getting other people over, babyface, heel, gimmick evolutions and changes.

Is it so crazy and controversial to make a case to say Undertaker might be the GOAT? I've thought about this for the last couple of years. I think he has to be in the conversation.
    Originally posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Originally posted by mx518
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

Re: Throwaway Comments That Truly Aren't Worth A New Thread

No, it isn't crazy, because he is definitely the GOAT. In WWE, at least, which to some may be reason enough to call him the GOAT in general.

I side with Kobashi when it comes to GOAT conversations, but even he is debatable when Misawa's name is mentioned in the same conversation.

But, yeah, Taker, man. It's hard to argue against him.
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

Comment

No, it isn't crazy, because he is definitely the GOAT. In WWE, at least, which to some may be reason enough to call him the GOAT in general.

I side with Kobashi when it comes to GOAT conversations, but even he is debatable when Misawa's name is mentioned in the same conversation.

Comment

Taker isn't even the GOAT in WWE to me

Thank you Surrender!!!
        Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
        If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

Comment

Taker isn't even the GOAT in WWE to me

Thank you Surrender!!!
          Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
          If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

Comment

Originally posted by KashDinero View Post

I don't believe he is but I can absolutely understand the arguments for him. But to me, Taker was never the greatest in the ring (his undead gimmick held him back the early years; it wasn't til Ministry/ABA that he was able to sell as a human being and not wrestle like a slow zombie) and never the greatest on the mic (his best promos read like an angsty 13 year old's fan fic of goth), so I can't call him the indisputabe GOAT.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
            Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

Comment

I don't believe he is but I can absolutely understand the arguments for him. But to me, Taker was never the greatest in the ring (his undead gimmick held him back the early years; it wasn't til Ministry/ABA that he was able to sell as a human being and not wrestle like a slow zombie) and never the greatest on the mic (his best promos read like an angsty 13 year old's fan fic of goth), so I can't call him the indisputabe GOAT.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
              Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Michinokudriver View Post
                For me it's not always about the in ring wrestling. Taker went from, like, 90-95/96 as a pure character driven entity and was the most over guy on the roster for the majority of that time. His late 96/97 evolution is a part of the charm for me. Yes, his mic work was never the best, but his catchphrase more than made up for that.

Personally, he has never been my favourite, but I can't dispute what he meant to WWE and wrestling over the years.

I could make a hundred points against him, some of which could be considered strong cases,so I can definitely understand those who don't don't hold him in the same regard that I do, but, for me, his positives eclipse the negatives.

Comment

For me it's not always about the in ring wrestling. Taker went from, like, 90-95/96 as a pure character driven entity and was the most over guy on the roster for the majority of that time. His late 96/97 evolution is a part of the charm for me. Yes, his mic work was never the best, but his catchphrase more than made up for that.

Personally, he has never been my favourite, but I can't dispute what he meant to WWE and wrestling over the years.

I could make a hundred points against him, some of which could be considered strong cases,so I can definitely understand those who don't don't hold him in the same regard that I do, but, for me, his positives eclipse the negatives.

Comment

His best promos were from his ABA run, and those didn't come off like an angsty 13 year old's goth fan fic at all.

EDIT: To add to this topic though, I think 'Taker will end up being remembered like the Andre to Rock and Austin's Hogan. It's hard to readily tag a special feature attraction as the GOAT over business-transforming/business-transcending main event draws. That said, 'Taker holds a place over HHH, HBK, Savage, Warrior, Flair, Foley, and maybe even Bret (if I can put my markdom aside) in WWE GOAT rankings for me. The only guys I'd put ahead of his bedside the aforementioned Rock, Austin, and Hogan would be possibly Bruno, Cena, and Andre.

EDITē: just out of curiosity (and not wanting to work) decided to see what my personal WWE GOAT ranking might look like...

1. Hulk Hogan
                    2. Steve Austin
                    3. The Rock
                    4. Andre the Giant
                    5. The Undertaker
                    6. Bruno Sammartino
                    7. John Cena
                    8. Triple H
                    9. Bret Hart
                    10. Shawn Michaels
                    11. Randy Savage
                    12. Mick Foley
                    13. Ric Flair
                    14. Kurt Angle
                    15. Roddy Piper
                    16. Brock Lesnar
                    17. The Ultimate Warrior
                    18. Eddie Guerrero
                    19. Bob Backlund
                    20. ...

Work in progress, clearly
                    Last edited by PI; 04-06-2017, 08:50 AM.
                    : 04/02/11}:forever&always
                    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
                    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

Comment

His best promos were from his ABA run, and those didn't come off like an angsty 13 year old's goth fan fic at all.

EDIT: To add to this topic though, I think 'Taker will end up being remembered like the Andre to Rock and Austin's Hogan. It's hard to readily tag a special feature attraction as the GOAT over business-transforming/business-transcending main event draws. That said, 'Taker holds a place over HHH, HBK, Savage, Warrior, Flair, Foley, and maybe even Bret (if I can put my markdom aside) in WWE GOAT rankings for me. The only guys I'd put ahead of his bedside the aforementioned Rock, Austin, and Hogan would be possibly Bruno, Cena, and Andre.

EDITē: just out of curiosity (and not wanting to work) decided to see what my personal WWE GOAT ranking might look like...

1. Hulk Hogan
                      2. Steve Austin
                      3. The Rock
                      4. Andre the Giant
                      5. The Undertaker
                      6. Bruno Sammartino
                      7. John Cena
                      8. Triple H
                      9. Bret Hart
                      10. Shawn Michaels
                      11. Randy Savage
                      12. Mick Foley
                      13. Ric Flair
                      14. Kurt Angle
                      15. Roddy Piper
                      16. Brock Lesnar
                      17. The Ultimate Warrior
                      18. Eddie Guerrero
                      19. Bob Backlund
                      20. ...

Work in progress, clearly
                      : 04/02/11}:forever&always
                      ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
                      http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

Comment

I think this deserves a thread of its own lol.

Comment

Comment

Agree, so I moved it.

As far far as the question, he certainly could be argued as the greatest of all time, but I don't think so. For me his in-ring ability & mic work are not good enough for me to put him there.
                            surrender

First Ever PW Heavyweight Champion!

Comment

Agree, so I moved it.

As far far as the question, he certainly could be argued as the greatest of all time, but I don't think so. For me his in-ring ability & mic work are not good enough for me to put him there.
                              surrender

First Ever PW Heavyweight Champion!

Comment

Working...
                              X