Undertaker: In the running for GOAT?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is Undertaker the GOAT?

Taker had some stretches where his ring work was just bad. Despite that he's definitely a contender. And if not GOAT than you can make an argument for GOAT Big Man.

Comment

Taker had some stretches where his ring work was just bad. Despite that he's definitely a contender. And if not GOAT than you can make an argument for GOAT Big Man.

Comment

Like Ness I think maybe in a bubble of big men , he is the top contender - but overall I don't even think he's really in the conversation as pure GOAT.

Comment

Like Ness I think maybe in a bubble of big men , he is the top contender - but overall I don't even think he's really in the conversation as pure GOAT.

Comment

To me Taker has always been and will always be in the top 2, which could flip on any given day. I totally get people arguing the opposing because there is that small field of the absolute greatest and it is very subjective from person to person. People have their own personal favorites.
            I do agree that of you're talking Best Big Men, or Best Special attraction, or Best Character- Taker is #1 in all 3 easily. But when its a blanket GOAT, you ask 20 people you'll probably get 20 different lists. There is zero doubt that Taker is in that conversation. Anyone who says different is letting personal bias get in the way of reality.
            -The Undertaker: It will always be his Yard
            -NXT gives me HOPE for the Future
            -KCCO
            ---θ---
            Currently playing:
            PS4: Fallout 4, The Division, Doom, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, Life is Strange, Uncharted 4
            Mobile: Tapped Out, Forge of Empires, WWE Champions
            IGN for every Game I play and PSN: Stefulson
            Feel free to add me.
            sigpic

Comment

To me Taker has always been and will always be in the top 2, which could flip on any given day. I totally get people arguing the opposing because there is that small field of the absolute greatest and it is very subjective from person to person. People have their own personal favorites.
              I do agree that of you're talking Best Big Men, or Best Special attraction, or Best Character- Taker is #1 in all 3 easily. But when its a blanket GOAT, you ask 20 people you'll probably get 20 different lists. There is zero doubt that Taker is in that conversation. Anyone who says different is letting personal bias get in the way of reality.
              -The Undertaker: It will always be his Yard
              -NXT gives me HOPE for the Future
              -KCCO
              ---θ---
              Currently playing:
              PS4: Fallout 4, The Division, Doom, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, Life is Strange, Uncharted 4
              Mobile: Tapped Out, Forge of Empires, WWE Champions
              IGN for every Game I play and PSN: Stefulson
              Feel free to add me.
              sigpic

Comment

Not quite, but he's definitely in that bracket of genuine legends.

Comment

Not quite, but he's definitely in that bracket of genuine legends.

Comment

In any business/industry, longevity and commitment can be often confused for something greater.

Due to this longevity as a performer and commitment to the gimmick, The Undertaker deserves the respect he has earnt. It's legendary.

I feel right now, these past few days, most of us have our rose coloured glasses on and we begin having these GOAT conversations. And for a long time, I've on and off viewed The Undertaker as the greatest WWE Superstar of all time.

I remember back in 2005, reading these same sort of conversations when Eddie Guerrero died. December 2005, suddenly these ' is Eddie the greatest wrestler ever? ' conversations start popping up. And while Eddie was very good, and maybe even great for a period towards the end of his life. The answer was no. Probably not even in the top 20. Yet a combination of feelings of loss, the internet, and the WWE narrative would have convinced you, Eddie was in-deed one of the best ever.

Was The Undertaker ever the man? The biggest draw? The top guy? Probably not. Was The Undertaker every the greatest worker? Probably not. What Undertaker had was an intangible quality. A mystic. A presence. Especially since his return to the deadman gimmick in 2004.

For me, The Undertaker's retirement is a little like Logan. Here's this aged, beat-up, broken old man - a shell of his former self - the last of his kind, the last outlaw. The adamantium is slowly killing old man Logan, while every match The Undertaker has had in recent years has nearly killed him. It was never going to be a happy ending for The Undertaker. Losing to Reigns was fine. He went out exactly the way he should have - broken, beaten, but fighting. I can almost hear Johnny Cash's when the man comes around playing during any tribute packages.

Comment

In any business/industry, longevity and commitment can be often confused for something greater.

Due to this longevity as a performer and commitment to the gimmick, The Undertaker deserves the respect he has earnt. It's legendary.

I feel right now, these past few days, most of us have our rose coloured glasses on and we begin having these GOAT conversations. And for a long time, I've on and off viewed The Undertaker as the greatest WWE Superstar of all time.

I remember back in 2005, reading these same sort of conversations when Eddie Guerrero died. December 2005, suddenly these ' is Eddie the greatest wrestler ever? ' conversations start popping up. And while Eddie was very good, and maybe even great for a period towards the end of his life. The answer was no. Probably not even in the top 20. Yet a combination of feelings of loss, the internet, and the WWE narrative would have convinced you, Eddie was in-deed one of the best ever.

Was The Undertaker ever the man? The biggest draw? The top guy? Probably not. Was The Undertaker every the greatest worker? Probably not. What Undertaker had was an intangible quality. A mystic. A presence. Especially since his return to the deadman gimmick in 2004.

For me, The Undertaker's retirement is a little like Logan. Here's this aged, beat-up, broken old man - a shell of his former self - the last of his kind, the last outlaw. The adamantium is slowly killing old man Logan, while every match The Undertaker has had in recent years has nearly killed him. It was never going to be a happy ending for The Undertaker. Losing to Reigns was fine. He went out exactly the way he should have - broken, beaten, but fighting. I can almost hear Johnny Cash's when the man comes around playing during any tribute packages.

Comment

Re: Throwaway Comments That Truly Aren't Worth A New Thread

Originally posted by PI View Post
                        His best promos were from his ABA run, and those didn't come off like an angsty 13 year old's goth fan fic at all.
                        Okay, that's more than fair. I dunno why but I blanked on his ABA promos.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
                        Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

Comment

Re: Throwaway Comments That Truly Aren't Worth A New Thread

Originally posted by PI View Post
                          His best promos were from his ABA run, and those didn't come off like an angsty 13 year old's goth fan fic at all.
                          Okay, that's more than fair. I dunno why but I blanked on his ABA promos.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
                          Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

Comment

He was a good big man. But the guy was one of the most over protected performers of all time. Give him the booking that other big men have gotten then he's on the same level as show and Kane.

Hes had some great matches but he's also had a lot of average matches. But he probably has the Greatest gimmick of all time.

Comment

He was a good big man. But the guy was one of the most over protected performers of all time. Give him the booking that other big men have gotten then he's on the same level as show and Kane.

Hes had some great matches but he's also had a lot of average matches. But he probably has the Greatest gimmick of all time.

Comment

Based on what quality? He wasn't really a top draw for WWE until they noticed the Streak by which point WrestleMania sold itself. A good-to-great worker, not the best. On the mic? Decent when given the chance.

He's not Bret Hart in the ring, he's not The Rock on the stick, and he's not Hogan or Austin on the gate. So what is he? A great wrestler with incredible longevity and arguably the greatest single character in wrestling history. But not the greatest and not really close in my view.

Comment

Working...
                                X