Long Matches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Matches

Wrestlemania match between Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens should be advertised as the 61 minute man vs. the 21 second man.
    Originally posted by Takerfan4life
    Cobain I have respect for because he does have great mind when it comes to wrestling
    WOOOOOOOO!

Re: Throwaway Comments That Truly Aren't Worth A New Thread

Originally posted by Cobain. View Post
    Wrestlemania match between Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens should be advertised as the 61 minute man vs. the 21 second man.
    Besides HHH/Rollins, thats the one match so far that I am REALLY looking forward to. I hope they given at least 30 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain. View Post
      Besides HHH/Rollins, thats the one match so far that I am REALLY looking forward to. I hope they given at least 30 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by mx518 View Post
        Agreed.

Looking forward to those matches more than anything else. Jericho and Owens have great chemistry so looking forward to a long match from them.
        Cobain I have respect for because he does have great mind when it comes to wrestling
        WOOOOOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by mx518 View Post
          Agreed.

Looking forward to those matches more than anything else. Jericho and Owens have great chemistry so looking forward to a long match from them.
          WOOOOOOOO!

Comment

I never really get why people often want matches to go 30+. The only non-Iron Man Mania singles matches that have broken 30 are: Taker/HBK I (Mr. WM challenging the Streak), Taker/HHH III ("End of an Era"; culminating a Mania arc started with HBK retiring Flair really), Rock/Cena I (intergenerational dream match hyped for a year) and the Taker/Shane abomination. Austin/Bret went 22. Bret/Owen went 20. Savage/Steamboat didn't even go 15.

Why would anyone want to see Jericho go 30 in 2017? Owens and Jericho would almost certainly put on a better 20-min match than 30. I'd continue that to say they'd have a better 15-min match than 20 and hell, maybe even a better 10-min match than 15. It isn't like it is some epic clash of legends or a match building off years of storylines. Since it is a grudge match between two former friends, it would be great and refreshing if they did a 10-12 minute brawl. No sequences to try to get "this is awesome" chants. No setting up of big gimmick spots. Two guys trying to smash each others faces in. Hate, lots of strikes, seldom much distance between them.

[MENTION=6732]Cobain.[/MENTION] Do you actually think they'd have a better 30-min match than 15 or 20?

Comment

I never really get why people often want matches to go 30+. The only non-Iron Man Mania singles matches that have broken 30 are: Taker/HBK I (Mr. WM challenging the Streak), Taker/HHH III ("End of an Era"; culminating a Mania arc started with HBK retiring Flair really), Rock/Cena I (intergenerational dream match hyped for a year) and the Taker/Shane abomination. Austin/Bret went 22. Bret/Owen went 20. Savage/Steamboat didn't even go 15.

Why would anyone want to see Jericho go 30 in 2017? Owens and Jericho would almost certainly put on a better 20-min match than 30. I'd continue that to say they'd have a better 15-min match than 20 and hell, maybe even a better 10-min match than 15. It isn't like it is some epic clash of legends or a match building off years of storylines. Since it is a grudge match between two former friends, it would be great and refreshing if they did a 10-12 minute brawl. No sequences to try to get "this is awesome" chants. No setting up of big gimmick spots. Two guys trying to smash each others faces in. Hate, lots of strikes, seldom much distance between them.

[MENTION=6732]Cobain.[/MENTION] Do you actually think they'd have a better 30-min match than 15 or 20?

Comment

Originally posted by Strobe View Post

I fucking HATE long matches. Even if they're supposed to be long based on gimmick. I just don't have the time, patience, or attention span for it. Not now, not then, not ever.

Full blunt force honesty confession time:

I've only ever watched the WMXII Ironman's finish in real time... The rest was endured via fast forward, and even that was an endurance test. Even Ironmans with more going on during the match (falls, interference, etc.) are a boring chore to get through. Saying Rock/HHH is the best Ironman isn't exactly saying it's a match that I would enjoy watching. And even with the benefit of commercial breaks and featuring my boy Brock Lesnar, the SD! Ironman was a chore to get through. Even Angle's ultimate submission match against Benoit during Benoit's epic Spring 2001 was somewhat unappealing, and that was even cut in half timewise. I'm on board with all the folks who've pointed out the conceptual flaws inherent in booking Ironman matches and gimmicks of a similar ilk.

And then the are the matches where the duration isn't an inherent element of the stipulation. At least they have the benefit in real time of me not knowing how long they'll go... But if I'm not watching it live and the cat gets out of the bag about how long the match ran, it becomes a huge barrier to me ever sitting down to finally watch start to finish (or at all).

As much as I love Flair, I don't think I could ever sit through one of his Broadways... Much less more than one. Cena/HBK 2 on RAW in London was an awful boring chore to get through.

I've never seen some of the matches that Strobe just rattled off from recent WrestleMania history, and I honestly doubt I ever will knowing how long they ran. That's SOOO unappealing to me. And I don't get people's hard-ons for such long matches. Matches shouldn't need that much time to tell a good story. Matches that long, more often than not, feel like superficially forced epics. Fuck that. I want something organic and concise.

And then there's the whole deal where the notion that main event matches require 30+ minutes causes match cards to end up being of shittier quality overall. Either matches get cut or guys get crammed into nonsensical overbooked clusterfucks... With the end result being feuds that deserve a spotlight blow-off don't get it on big cards.
                : 04/02/11}:forever&always
                ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
                http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

Comment

Originally posted by Strobe View Post

I fucking HATE long matches. Even if they're supposed to be long based on gimmick. I just don't have the time, patience, or attention span for it. Not now, not then, not ever.

Full blunt force honesty confession time:

I've only ever watched the WMXII Ironman's finish in real time... The rest was endured via fast forward, and even that was an endurance test. Even Ironmans with more going on during the match (falls, interference, etc.) are a boring chore to get through. Saying Rock/HHH is the best Ironman isn't exactly saying it's a match that I would enjoy watching. And even with the benefit of commercial breaks and featuring my boy Brock Lesnar, the SD! Ironman was a chore to get through. Even Angle's ultimate submission match against Benoit during Benoit's epic Spring 2001 was somewhat unappealing, and that was even cut in half timewise. I'm on board with all the folks who've pointed out the conceptual flaws inherent in booking Ironman matches and gimmicks of a similar ilk.

And then the are the matches where the duration isn't an inherent element of the stipulation. At least they have the benefit in real time of me not knowing how long they'll go... But if I'm not watching it live and the cat gets out of the bag about how long the match ran, it becomes a huge barrier to me ever sitting down to finally watch start to finish (or at all).

As much as I love Flair, I don't think I could ever sit through one of his Broadways... Much less more than one. Cena/HBK 2 on RAW in London was an awful boring chore to get through.

I've never seen some of the matches that Strobe just rattled off from recent WrestleMania history, and I honestly doubt I ever will knowing how long they ran. That's SOOO unappealing to me. And I don't get people's hard-ons for such long matches. Matches shouldn't need that much time to tell a good story. Matches that long, more often than not, feel like superficially forced epics. Fuck that. I want something organic and concise.

And then there's the whole deal where the notion that main event matches require 30+ minutes causes match cards to end up being of shittier quality overall. Either matches get cut or guys get crammed into nonsensical overbooked clusterfucks... With the end result being feuds that deserve a spotlight blow-off don't get it on big cards.
                  : 04/02/11}:forever&always
                  ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
                  http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

Comment

Yeah, it don't need 30 minutes. 15 to 20 minutes is all it needs. Give it a good amount of time the match deserves and have the Taker match, Lesnar match be less than 10 minutes. Only like two matches I care to watch. Other than that this years Wrestlemania looks like a Raw PPV. The build feels like a build to a Raw PPV too. Its like WWE said screw this year. Lets wait until next year.
                    WOOOOOOOO!

Comment

Yeah, it don't need 30 minutes. 15 to 20 minutes is all it needs. Give it a good amount of time the match deserves and have the Taker match, Lesnar match be less than 10 minutes. Only like two matches I care to watch. Other than that this years Wrestlemania looks like a Raw PPV. The build feels like a build to a Raw PPV too. Its like WWE said screw this year. Lets wait until next year.
                      WOOOOOOOO!

Comment

My theory on match length would go into this comparison.

Master of Puppets is a great song, and it's long (a little over 8 minutes). That said, Metallica also wrote a lot of crappy long songs (the majority of the St. Anger album). There are a lot of good punk rock songs that are less than a minute. Point is, it doesn't matter how long something is time wise, just how you fill the time.
                        Last edited by Leper Messiah; 03-07-2017, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Master of Puppets is a great song, and it's long (a little over 8 minutes). That said, Metallica also wrote a lot of crappy long songs (the majority of the St. Anger album). There are a lot of good punk rock songs that are less than a minute. Point is, it doesn't matter how long something is time wise, just how you fill the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Leper Messiah View Post

Master of Puppets is a great song, and it's long (a little over 8 minutes). That said, Metallica also write a lot of crappy long sing (the majority of the St. Anger album). There are a lot of good punk rock songs that are less than a minute. Point is, it doesn't matter how long something is time wise, just how you fill the time.
                            This.

I love Hart/Michaels at Wrestlemania.

But most of the time I prefer they kept it around 10-15 minutes. Maybe 20.

Comment

Originally posted by Leper Messiah View Post

Master of Puppets is a great song, and it's long (a little over 8 minutes). That said, Metallica also write a lot of crappy long sing (the majority of the St. Anger album). There are a lot of good punk rock songs that are less than a minute. Point is, it doesn't matter how long something is time wise, just how you fill the time.
                              This.

I love Hart/Michaels at Wrestlemania.

But most of the time I prefer they kept it around 10-15 minutes. Maybe 20.

Comment

Working...
                              X