Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Argument: Ring of Honor should be as popular as TNA. But for some reason ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argument: Ring of Honor should be as popular as TNA. But for some reason ...

But for some reason it isn't.

After TNA left Spike ROH continued to keep on rolling at what they do best. Securing TV deals on regional stations and getting that sweet, sweet syndication money.

The argument has been made, and I'd think rightly, that ROH is the real second biggest company in the US. I would be shocked if they weren't profitable, while TNA isn't.

And yet ... and Yet ROH feels far away from the popularity of TNA. Even with the TV deal, the NJPW partnership, the PPVs, the production.

For some reason ROH seems extremely less popular than TNA. To the point that people don't even know they have a TV show.

I must have had the same conversation with a dozen wrestling fans from 2011 to now. It goes something like that.

Me: Do you ever watch Ring of HOnor?

Them: No. They have a TV show?

Me: Yeah, you didn't know that? Had if for a while.

There's an alternative to this that is just as common, but more surprising. It goes like this ...

Me: Do you ever watch Ring of Honor?

Them: No, they don't have the TV show where I live.

Me: You can watch it on their website. Completely free.

Them: REally?

For all the talk about how awful and what a train wreck TNA is, it is an extremely popular train wreck. (For pro wrestling standards.)

It seems like ROH has never capitalized on the opportunity to truely become the second biggest company in the UNited STates. And that surprises me when you consider what a truely great case they have, what a truely great claim they have ... on that title.

Edit: sorry, the title was supposed to be, "should be as popular as TNA ...".

Botched it.

Re: Argument: Ring of Honor should be as popular as TNA. But for some reason ...

Fixed the thread title for you

I haven't followed either promotion for a decade or more. I will say this, though. When I was following TNA in the mid-late 2000s, it aired on UK cable TV. On the Bravo channel if I recall. I have no idea how long that lasted for, but I seriously doubt ROH ever appeared on our cable TV. Could be wrong though.

Perhaps ROH's problem is a lack of marketing and promotion. TNA attracted a lot of the biggest names in the industry. Sting. Kurt Angle. Jeff Hardy. Kevin Nash. Eric Bischoff. Ric Flair. Hulk Hogan. That's why they became popular. What is the biggest star ROH had as a regular roster member? I have no idea. Matt Hardy? In TNA's early days, they were a bit bush league even though they had some pretty big names. But after a few years in the game, they became something more. They improved their production, came across as a legitimate competitor to WWE, got some attention, and hired those big names. I've not seen any ROH after their TV deal. What do their shows look like? Do they still have an "indy promotion" vibe? There must be a reason they can't attract the stars like TNA once did. Unfortunately cooperating with NJPW isn't doing them any favours in that respect either. As good as it is, Japanese wrestling is very niche outside of Japan.

For a long time ROH has been the premier US independent promotion, attracting the cream of the crop, but nothing more than that. They are fodder for the WWEs and the TNAs and the NJPWs. TNA started out that way, but they quickly rose above. I put it down to marketing.

Comment

Re: Argument: Ring of Honor should be as popular as TNA. But for some reason ...

I haven't followed either promotion for a decade or more. I will say this, though. When I was following TNA in the mid-late 2000s, it aired on UK cable TV. On the Bravo channel if I recall. I have no idea how long that lasted for, but I seriously doubt ROH ever appeared on our cable TV. Could be wrong though.

Perhaps ROH's problem is a lack of marketing and promotion. TNA attracted a lot of the biggest names in the industry. Sting. Kurt Angle. Jeff Hardy. Kevin Nash. Eric Bischoff. Ric Flair. Hulk Hogan. That's why they became popular. What is the biggest star ROH had as a regular roster member? I have no idea. Matt Hardy? In TNA's early days, they were a bit bush league even though they had some pretty big names. But after a few years in the game, they became something more. They improved their production, came across as a legitimate competitor to WWE, got some attention, and hired those big names. I've not seen any ROH after their TV deal. What do their shows look like? Do they still have an "indy promotion" vibe? There must be a reason they can't attract the stars like TNA once did. Unfortunately cooperating with NJPW isn't doing them any favours in that respect either. As good as it is, Japanese wrestling is very niche outside of Japan.

For a long time ROH has been the premier US independent promotion, attracting the cream of the crop, but nothing more than that. They are fodder for the WWEs and the TNAs and the NJPWs. TNA started out that way, but they quickly rose above. I put it down to marketing.

Comment

No.

ROH has never been about trying to be the big #2 promotion, even after being bought by Sinclair. They have always been about their own identity, their own style.

And that is something that won't ever cross over to large numbers, especially in the 90-plus percent fanbase of people that say they are wrestling fans, but are only WWE fans.

TNA has always done something in the vein of sports-entertainment to varying degrees, for good or for ill. They've always gone after big big names, they've always tried to do things BIG. This has never been ROH's M.O and probably never will.

And for that reason, they will never be as popular. Not until they get a weekly television show on a cable network, and have a MAJOR name sign with them full time.
        Originally posted by mx518
        he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
        No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
        NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

Comment

No.

ROH has never been about trying to be the big #2 promotion, even after being bought by Sinclair. They have always been about their own identity, their own style.

And that is something that won't ever cross over to large numbers, especially in the 90-plus percent fanbase of people that say they are wrestling fans, but are only WWE fans.

TNA has always done something in the vein of sports-entertainment to varying degrees, for good or for ill. They've always gone after big big names, they've always tried to do things BIG. This has never been ROH's M.O and probably never will.

And for that reason, they will never be as popular. Not until they get a weekly television show on a cable network, and have a MAJOR name sign with them full time.
          he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
          No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
          NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

Comment

Originally posted by Emperor View Post

Production looks cool. It looks expensive but now showy. No Guady.

It's worth a check out, if you wanna hop over to ROH.com and watch the latest episode. It might be your thing.

But I think it's kind of a three star company. Not bad, but not good. A lot of boring talent and matches.

Dalton Castle's the shit though.

It's funny you talk about marketing being a problem. I agree. I mean, how do people not know you have a TV show?
            Originally posted by Djm View Post
            No.

I don't know if ROH feel the same way that you do. I think in ROH's mind they're hardcore into trying to do things big. But as you said they do have their own style that doesn't translate.

Comment

Originally posted by Emperor View Post

Production looks cool. It looks expensive but now showy. No Guady.

It's worth a check out, if you wanna hop over to ROH.com and watch the latest episode. It might be your thing.

But I think it's kind of a three star company. Not bad, but not good. A lot of boring talent and matches.

Dalton Castle's the shit though.

It's funny you talk about marketing being a problem. I agree. I mean, how do people not know you have a TV show?
              Originally posted by Djm View Post
              No.

I don't know if ROH feel the same way that you do. I think in ROH's mind they're hardcore into trying to do things big. But as you said they do have their own style that doesn't translate.

Comment

I think people under value the drawing power of the pageantry in wresting which ROH can't offer. The high end slick look that WWE and TNA have go a long ways. I essentially only watch WWE and I can definitively say theres nearly nothing you could do to get me watch ROH in its current state on a regular basis. I know people love it and I'm not talking shit here but ROH is not aesthetically pleasing to watch. Its drab, depressing, and looks like the most successful backyard wresting show of all time.

Not hating but just being honest. The glitz and glamour are a big part of why I'm a wrestling fan and i know I'm not and in that mind set.

Comment

I think people under value the drawing power of the pageantry in wresting which ROH can't offer. The high end slick look that WWE and TNA have go a long ways. I essentially only watch WWE and I can definitively say theres nearly nothing you could do to get me watch ROH in its current state on a regular basis. I know people love it and I'm not talking shit here but ROH is not aesthetically pleasing to watch. Its drab, depressing, and looks like the most successful backyard wresting show of all time.

Not hating but just being honest. The glitz and glamour are a big part of why I'm a wrestling fan and i know I'm not and in that mind set.

Comment

Originally posted by JPC View Post

Production is important, no doubt about it.

I love Chikara, best wrestling promotion in the world, I think. But I get excited in those first five minutes if the production/venue/design/lighting/staging/ is better than usual.

I actually really like ROH's set up, if you watched anything from this year, you might agree.

But yeah, I agree, you gotta be creative, especially if you don't have money.

Comment

Originally posted by JPC View Post

Production is important, no doubt about it.

I love Chikara, best wrestling promotion in the world, I think. But I get excited in those first five minutes if the production/venue/design/lighting/staging/ is better than usual.

I actually really like ROH's set up, if you watched anything from this year, you might agree.

But yeah, I agree, you gotta be creative, especially if you don't have money.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Dog Smith View Post

Honestly, I was completely unaware of this. I have something to do on my next day off.
                        If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
                        -John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Dog Smith View Post

Honestly, I was completely unaware of this. I have something to do on my next day off.
                          If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
                          -John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Slug View Post
                            Yeah, pretty crazy, right? You'd think ROH wouldn't shut the fuck up about this.

Instead they kind of treat it like an after thought, often airing episodes that lag behind their last PPV chronologically.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Slug View Post
                              Yeah, pretty crazy, right? You'd think ROH wouldn't shut the fuck up about this.

Instead they kind of treat it like an after thought, often airing episodes that lag behind their last PPV chronologically.

Comment

Working...
                              X