This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NJPW Superthread

Ishii is the best seller is the business and actually has damn good offensive manoeuvres like spinning kicks and shit for a guy his body shape. Couple of times he has made me legit fear for his health

Bone Soldier is sadly not a new member or Cody Hall. It's Captain New Japan post heel turn, in probably the worst storyline of 2016

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

Comment

Ishii is the best seller is the business and actually has damn good offensive manoeuvres like spinning kicks and shit for a guy his body shape. Couple of times he has made me legit fear for his health

Bone Soldier is sadly not a new member or Cody Hall. It's Captain New Japan post heel turn, in probably the worst storyline of 2016

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

Comment

The World Tag League doesn't interest me as a whole. It's a far more less interesting version of G1. The majority of teams are singles guys thrown together, and I said before, I know that a lot of the teams aren't going to win. It puts a damper on the whole thing. I'll probably watch a few War Machine, Naito/X and Shibata/Nagata matches because they are the most intriguing teams. Okada/YOSHI-HASHI vs Omega/Owens also appeals.

Someone needs to tell me who Leland Race and Brian Breaker are.

Originally posted by Big Pete View Post
        Character > Performance, especially when it comes to toughness. Shibata's offence maybe more spectacular but it's tough to build a connection with his character when he purposefully sticks to the same 'dickhead' persona he's carried since 2012. Which is why the Nagata series was so valuable because it provided Shibata with some much needed character development that had been sorely lacking. The fans genuinely cared about the outcome of the matches and Nagata was a great foil for Shibata.

Meanwhile Ishii is such an understated and humble performer, it's difficult not to root for him. In a lot of ways, he's the NJPW equivalent of Daniel Bryan (or at least the WWE version) where he's the perrenial B+ player but he continues to find ways to catch opponent's off-guard. There's a sense of unpredictability when it comes to Ishii's matches that I find exciting and I find he lays his matches out better than Shibata who relies more on cheap thrills to illicit a reaction. Admittedly I am coming down from that Guerillas of Destiny v Ishii/YOSHI-HASHI match which made me respect Ishii's ability to get the best out of his respective opponents.
        I pretty much agree with all of this. Don't have much to add apart from the fact that I like the 'dickhead' character in Japanese wrestling. After all, KENTA has been my favourite wrestler for nearly a decade, and Kawada was the first guy to really grab me when I started watching AJPW. Dickheads who kick a lot = Emperor's favourite wrestlers.

Comment

The World Tag League doesn't interest me as a whole. It's a far more less interesting version of G1. The majority of teams are singles guys thrown together, and I said before, I know that a lot of the teams aren't going to win. It puts a damper on the whole thing. I'll probably watch a few War Machine, Naito/X and Shibata/Nagata matches because they are the most intriguing teams. Okada/YOSHI-HASHI vs Omega/Owens also appeals.

Originally posted by Big Pete View Post
          Character > Performance, especially when it comes to toughness. Shibata's offence maybe more spectacular but it's tough to build a connection with his character when he purposefully sticks to the same 'dickhead' persona he's carried since 2012. Which is why the Nagata series was so valuable because it provided Shibata with some much needed character development that had been sorely lacking. The fans genuinely cared about the outcome of the matches and Nagata was a great foil for Shibata.

Meanwhile Ishii is such an understated and humble performer, it's difficult not to root for him. In a lot of ways, he's the NJPW equivalent of Daniel Bryan (or at least the WWE version) where he's the perrenial B+ player but he continues to find ways to catch opponent's off-guard. There's a sense of unpredictability when it comes to Ishii's matches that I find exciting and I find he lays his matches out better than Shibata who relies more on cheap thrills to illicit a reaction. Admittedly I am coming down from that Guerillas of Destiny v Ishii/YOSHI-HASHI match which made me respect Ishii's ability to get the best out of his respective opponents.
          I pretty much agree with all of this. Don't have much to add apart from the fact that I like the 'dickhead' character in Japanese wrestling. After all, KENTA has been my favourite wrestler for nearly a decade, and Kawada was the first guy to really grab me when I started watching AJPW. Dickheads who kick a lot = Emperor's favourite wrestlers.

Comment

I just know them as two guys from Harley Race's promotion. Usually Race sends them over to NOAH for their World Tag leagues but this year he's sending them to NJPW.

I just want to see Naito & Rush mess with them more than anything else.

Comment

I just know them as two guys from Harley Race's promotion. Usually Race sends them over to NOAH for their World Tag leagues but this year he's sending them to NJPW.

I just want to see Naito & Rush mess with them more than anything else.

Comment

Colby Corino will be joining New Japan as a young lion in January.

I'm proud to announce that this January I will be leaving the good ol' US of A to go train in the New Japan Pro Wrestling dojo as a Young Lion. 2016 has been my best year in my career yet; I've had the opportunity to be on national television multiple times, I've been graced to travel the country and have awesome matches with great wrestlers, and have met some of my best friends on this journey, and yet I still expect 2017 to be an even bigger year for me.

Next month I celebrate my 8th year in the wrestling business and I couldn't be happier with my career choice. Even with the long days sitting in a cramped car, the daily aches and pains I endure, and general stress of this crazy career choice, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I've given my life to this business and its given back to me tenfold.

Thank you to everyone that has supported and helped me along the way. Thank you Michael Kehner and Bob Evans for teaching me, thank you Rob Ayscue, Brian Aldhizer, and Mikey Gulino for being the bestest buddies in this business I could ask for, and thank you Tannis Benavente for being supportive of me on this long and hard journey, and thank you to the fans that come to watch me all over and support me. None of this would be possible if not for each and everyone of y'all. There's many more people I could thank for the graces I've had, but we'd be here all day if I listed them all.

Thank you everybody. It's time to kill it.

Comment

Colby Corino will be joining New Japan as a young lion in January.

I'm proud to announce that this January I will be leaving the good ol' US of A to go train in the New Japan Pro Wrestling dojo as a Young Lion. 2016 has been my best year in my career yet; I've had the opportunity to be on national television multiple times, I've been graced to travel the country and have awesome matches with great wrestlers, and have met some of my best friends on this journey, and yet I still expect 2017 to be an even bigger year for me.

Next month I celebrate my 8th year in the wrestling business and I couldn't be happier with my career choice. Even with the long days sitting in a cramped car, the daily aches and pains I endure, and general stress of this crazy career choice, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I've given my life to this business and its given back to me tenfold.

Thank you to everyone that has supported and helped me along the way. Thank you Michael Kehner and Bob Evans for teaching me, thank you Rob Ayscue, Brian Aldhizer, and Mikey Gulino for being the bestest buddies in this business I could ask for, and thank you Tannis Benavente for being supportive of me on this long and hard journey, and thank you to the fans that come to watch me all over and support me. None of this would be possible if not for each and everyone of y'all. There's many more people I could thank for the graces I've had, but we'd be here all day if I listed them all.

Thank you everybody. It's time to kill it.

Comment

Just watching through RPW vs NJPW night one, Hero vs Ishii was awesome!!!

Comment

Just watching through RPW vs NJPW night one, Hero vs Ishii was awesome!!!

Comment

World Tag League Results

Day 1 - A Block
                        War Machine defeated Manabu Nakanishi and Henare (7:03)
                        Brian Breaker and Leland Race defeated Yujiro Takahashi and Hangman Page (11:13)
                        Tencozy defeated Guerrillas of Destiny (11:06)
                        Tetsuya Naito and Rush defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi and Juice Robison (16:50)

Day 2 - B Block
                        Yoshitatsu and Billy Gunn defeated Kenny Omega and Chase Owens (10:40)
                        Hirooki Goto and Tomohiro Ishii defeated Bad Luck Fale and Bone Soldier (9:20)
                        Katsuyori Shibata and Yuji Nagata defeated SANADA and EVIL (12:02)
                        Great Bash Heel defeated Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI (17:03)

Day 3 - A Block
                        Manabu Nakanishi and Henare defeated Yujiro Takahashi and Hangman Page (8:59)
                        Guerrillas of Destiny defeated Brian Breaker and Leland Race (10:43)
                        War Machine defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi and Juice Robinson (11:49)
                        Tencozy defeated Tetsuya Naito and Rush (14:15)

War Machine and Tencozy strong out of the gates in the A Block. Both teams picked up big wins on Day 3.

Great Bash Heel (Togi Makabe and Tomoaki Honma) won last year's tournament. Makabe seems to be commentating more than wrestling these days, but he's still a force to be reckoned with as the defending champions open with a strong victory over Okada and YOSHI-HASHI.

Comment

World Tag League Results

Day 1 - A Block
                          War Machine defeated Manabu Nakanishi and Henare (7:03)
                          Brian Breaker and Leland Race defeated Yujiro Takahashi and Hangman Page (11:13)
                          Tencozy defeated Guerrillas of Destiny (11:06)
                          Tetsuya Naito and Rush defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi and Juice Robison (16:50)

Day 2 - B Block
                          Yoshitatsu and Billy Gunn defeated Kenny Omega and Chase Owens (10:40)
                          Hirooki Goto and Tomohiro Ishii defeated Bad Luck Fale and Bone Soldier (9:20)
                          Katsuyori Shibata and Yuji Nagata defeated SANADA and EVIL (12:02)
                          Great Bash Heel defeated Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI (17:03)

Day 3 - A Block
                          Manabu Nakanishi and Henare defeated Yujiro Takahashi and Hangman Page (8:59)
                          Guerrillas of Destiny defeated Brian Breaker and Leland Race (10:43)
                          War Machine defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi and Juice Robinson (11:49)
                          Tencozy defeated Tetsuya Naito and Rush (14:15)

War Machine and Tencozy strong out of the gates in the A Block. Both teams picked up big wins on Day 3.

Great Bash Heel (Togi Makabe and Tomoaki Honma) won last year's tournament. Makabe seems to be commentating more than wrestling these days, but he's still a force to be reckoned with as the defending champions open with a strong victory over Okada and YOSHI-HASHI.

Comment

War Machine made an extremely impressive first showing. They look the part, and they deliver the goods. A nasty-looking spot in the early goings of the match saw Henare being gorilla pressed onto Nakanishi, who pretty much failed to catch him. Henare looked to be in serious pain, but worked the rest of the match just fine. It's 2016 and almost no wrestling move can shock me anymore, but watching Hansen perform a flawless springboard clothesline made me jump out of my seat and yell at my monitor. War Machine followed this up with a nasty elevated top rope leg drop double team for a convincing victory. Couldn't ask for a better introduction match. Is Hansen's gimmick in any way related to Stan Hansen? I noticed him do a classic Stan Hansen taunt after hitting a suicide dive.

Brian Breaker and Leland Race were never expected to match War Machine in terms of pure spectacle. However, they were still completely unremarkable, solid hands who didn't do anything particularly noteworthy.

As expected, Naito took several minutes to savour the moment before his surprise tag team partner, Rush, came to join him. The match wasn't anything special, but Naito and Rush were clearly having a lot of fun when in control. Otherwise, Rush didn't impress me that much. In fact, Juice Robinson was the standout performer for me. I haven't seen much of him, but the dude has got super over, although I have a hard time understanding what he's all about. He's just a goofball, I guess.

Comment

War Machine made an extremely impressive first showing. They look the part, and they deliver the goods. A nasty-looking spot in the early goings of the match saw Henare being gorilla pressed onto Nakanishi, who pretty much failed to catch him. Henare looked to be in serious pain, but worked the rest of the match just fine. It's 2016 and almost no wrestling move can shock me anymore, but watching Hansen perform a flawless springboard clothesline made me jump out of my seat and yell at my monitor. War Machine followed this up with a nasty elevated top rope leg drop double team for a convincing victory. Couldn't ask for a better introduction match. Is Hansen's gimmick in any way related to Stan Hansen? I noticed him do a classic Stan Hansen taunt after hitting a suicide dive.

Brian Breaker and Leland Race were never expected to match War Machine in terms of pure spectacle. However, they were still completely unremarkable, solid hands who didn't do anything particularly noteworthy.

As expected, Naito took several minutes to savour the moment before his surprise tag team partner, Rush, came to join him. The match wasn't anything special, but Naito and Rush were clearly having a lot of fun when in control. Otherwise, Rush didn't impress me that much. In fact, Juice Robinson was the standout performer for me. I haven't seen much of him, but the dude has got super over, although I have a hard time understanding what he's all about. He's just a goofball, I guess.

Comment

Outside of the homage (the taunt), there's no relation between Hansen and The Lariat, kayfabe or otherwise. Another ROH wrestler Silas Young tried claiming he was the nephew of Stan but Hansen blew the rumour off on the JR show.

So Goto/Ishii are going to win this tournament right?

Comment

Working...
                                X