X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TNA Wrestling Superthread *SPOILERS*

Originally posted by BARCELONA View Post
    So this is a crew that councils on death? Or how to commit acts that lead to death? Or a council of people who like death or consider themselves dead?

Death Crew Council TNA is the worst at coming up with names. It's like something a 9 year old would think of.
    Clearly they are a group of elected officials that govern the actions of the "Death Crew". So the real question is: Who or what exactly is the "Death Crew"? Are they a group of necrophiliacs? Are they just a bunch of dead people that formed a crew prior to dying? Or maybe they're just a group of wrestlers that decided to open their own funeral home? Who knows?

By the way, I haven't watched an episode of Impact in weeks... So, I have no firsthand knowledge of what's even going on in the company right now. The only thing I do know is that everything they're doing is bad and stupid... except for anything involving the Hardys.

Comment

Originally posted by BARCELONA View Post
      So this is a crew that councils on death? Or how to commit acts that lead to death? Or a council of people who like death or consider themselves dead?

Death Crew Council TNA is the worst at coming up with names. It's like something a 9 year old would think of.
      Clearly they are a group of elected officials that govern the actions of the "Death Crew". So the real question is: Who or what exactly is the "Death Crew"? Are they a group of necrophiliacs? Are they just a bunch of dead people that formed a crew prior to dying? Or maybe they're just a group of wrestlers that decided to open their own funeral home? Who knows?

By the way, I haven't watched an episode of Impact in weeks... So, I have no firsthand knowledge of what's even going on in the company right now. The only thing I do know is that everything they're doing is bad and stupid... except for anything involving the Hardys.

Comment

Originally posted by whocares View Post

The Broken Hardys angle works because it's meant to be soooo over the top and so, so, soooo bad - that it's good.

But when something comes along and it's feels forced and executed in vintage TNA fashion - poorly. It's soooo bad - it's just bad.

And again, the best gimmicks are the wrestler's own personality turned up to 11 - The Hardy's have been a couple of nutters for years, they're both cracked, Matt's always been as crazy as his brother. They just turned it up.

You can't just take a guy like James Storm, that people know, and know very well he's a Tennessee redneck and has always been a redneck and suddenly flip the switch. With no offense intended - James Storm simply isn't talented enough as a performer to completely change his persona. Chris Jericho in contrast, is that sort of performer that can make a complete shift and be successful. Chris Jericho could play James Storm, better than James Storm.

What it also highlights is another problem for TNA - depth. So what could be a good idea, a potential vehicle for new talent, is lost or wasted on an already established talent. The other problem is, no one wants to work for them, so TNA hire guys like Eddie Kingston - again, no offense intended - Kingston isn't going to benefit TNA in the long term. He's just like Eli Drake, he's good for a couple of years - not 10 years.

This is TNA in a nutshell right now.

Comment

The Broken Hardys angle works because it's meant to be soooo over the top and so, so, soooo bad - that it's good.

But when something comes along and it's feels forced and executed in vintage TNA fashion - poorly. It's soooo bad - it's just bad.

And again, the best gimmicks are the wrestler's own personality turned up to 11 - The Hardy's have been a couple of nutters for years, they're both cracked, Matt's always been as crazy as his brother. They just turned it up.

You can't just take a guy like James Storm, that people know, and know very well he's a Tennessee redneck and has always been a redneck and suddenly flip the switch. With no offense intended - James Storm simply isn't talented enough as a performer to completely change his persona. Chris Jericho in contrast, is that sort of performer that can make a complete shift and be successful. Chris Jericho could play James Storm, better than James Storm.

What it also highlights is another problem for TNA - depth. So what could be a good idea, a potential vehicle for new talent, is lost or wasted on an already established talent. The other problem is, no one wants to work for them, so TNA hire guys like Eddie Kingston - again, no offense intended - Kingston isn't going to benefit TNA in the long term. He's just like Eli Drake, he's good for a couple of years - not 10 years.

This is TNA in a nutshell right now.

Comment

Oh man, if the Death Crew Council are actually a group who council a completely separate faction who call themselves the Death Crew.. SWERVE~!

Seriously though, why is TNA so bad at coming up with faction names? I thought Beat Down Clan was bad, but this is worse. As an adult, I can't imagine trying to explain this to another adult. "Yeah, there's these guys who call themselves the, uh... Death Crew Council..."

Now if you're a kid talking to another kid it might not seem so lame, but do kids make up a significant portion of TNA's audience? I wouldn't have thought so.

Comment

Oh man, if the Death Crew Council are actually a group who council a completely separate faction who call themselves the Death Crew.. SWERVE~!

Seriously though, why is TNA so bad at coming up with faction names? I thought Beat Down Clan was bad, but this is worse. As an adult, I can't imagine trying to explain this to another adult. "Yeah, there's these guys who call themselves the, uh... Death Crew Council..."

Now if you're a kid talking to another kid it might not seem so lame, but do kids make up a significant portion of TNA's audience? I wouldn't have thought so.

Comment

It's easy to criticise, I'm interested to know if there are any aspects that people enjoy about the show?

On the whole, I'm actually happy with a lot of aspects of the show:

The Hardy Compound: I appreciate that Matt Hardy, 20+ years into his career has re-invented his character and made such a bold choice. It seemed as if the Hardy Boys had run their course and watching them felt like I was just watching a bunch of old repeats, but the Broken Matt Hardy angle has been tops.

Decay: In a world where wrestlers tend to shy away from gimmicks, the Decay stand-out as one of the best factions in the United States. The commitment to the character is first class and they work their tails off.

Allie: One of the most over women in any promotion. Doesn't get the opportunity to work all that much in the ring, but her mannerisms are on point and they've added some nice layers to the character. I like the cheeky Braxton Suttor references, that's the type of nudge nudge wink wink I can get behind.

Ethan Carter III: Not so much the character since it's so bland, but the performer makes the most of whatever material he's given and just hits it out of the park.

Mike Bennett: One of the best chicken-shit heels in the business.

Bobby Lashley: I'm still mad he isn't champion. One of the best 'monsters' in the business who was booked really well until his business with Eddie Edwards. I never thought I'd say this, but in 2016 I've much preferred Bobby Lashley's work over Brock Lesnar's.

Helm's Dynasty: PUSH THESE GUYS!! I like the team, I just wish they'd receive a proper push.

Eli Drake: Great promo, everything he says is with confidence and intent. Can certainly sell a fight, I just wish the Mr. Kennedy/Miz comparison wasn't so apparent.

Comment

It's easy to criticise, I'm interested to know if there are any aspects that people enjoy about the show?

On the whole, I'm actually happy with a lot of aspects of the show:

The Hardy Compound: I appreciate that Matt Hardy, 20+ years into his career has re-invented his character and made such a bold choice. It seemed as if the Hardy Boys had run their course and watching them felt like I was just watching a bunch of old repeats, but the Broken Matt Hardy angle has been tops.

Decay: In a world where wrestlers tend to shy away from gimmicks, the Decay stand-out as one of the best factions in the United States. The commitment to the character is first class and they work their tails off.

Allie: One of the most over women in any promotion. Doesn't get the opportunity to work all that much in the ring, but her mannerisms are on point and they've added some nice layers to the character. I like the cheeky Braxton Suttor references, that's the type of nudge nudge wink wink I can get behind.

Ethan Carter III: Not so much the character since it's so bland, but the performer makes the most of whatever material he's given and just hits it out of the park.

Mike Bennett: One of the best chicken-shit heels in the business.

Bobby Lashley: I'm still mad he isn't champion. One of the best 'monsters' in the business who was booked really well until his business with Eddie Edwards. I never thought I'd say this, but in 2016 I've much preferred Bobby Lashley's work over Brock Lesnar's.

Helm's Dynasty: PUSH THESE GUYS!! I like the team, I just wish they'd receive a proper push.

Eli Drake: Great promo, everything he says is with confidence and intent. Can certainly sell a fight, I just wish the Mr. Kennedy/Miz comparison wasn't so apparent.

Comment

I have to say, I'm very surprised by Matt Hardy's renaissance and the fact he's been able to make himself more relevant than his brother, which I never thought would be possible. I really didn't think Matt had it in him, so a tip of my cap for that. And kudos to TNA for letting him run with it, though I imagine that was more out of desperation than anything else.

Having viewed TNA through it's "glory years", I find it kind of difficult to watch now. It's alright, but I'm already watching Raw/Smackdown and going through the Attitude Era on the WWE Network... that pretty much takes up all the time I have for wrestling, so TNA rarely gets a look in anymore.

Comment

I have to say, I'm very surprised by Matt Hardy's renaissance and the fact he's been able to make himself more relevant than his brother, which I never thought would be possible. I really didn't think Matt had it in him, so a tip of my cap for that. And kudos to TNA for letting him run with it, though I imagine that was more out of desperation than anything else.

Having viewed TNA through it's "glory years", I find it kind of difficult to watch now. It's alright, but I'm already watching Raw/Smackdown and going through the Attitude Era on the WWE Network... that pretty much takes up all the time I have for wrestling, so TNA rarely gets a look in anymore.

Comment

Impact Wrestling

November 24th 2016 Thoughts

Broken Matt Hardy is back! And not a moment too soon either, the amnesia angle ran it's natural course and hit every note it possibly could. It works out nicely, since Jeff Hardy got his arse kicked by the DCC. That's the one positive of the DCC, the fact they exist so the Hardys have fresh bodies to work. It's just a shame that there's such a disconnect between the character, the angle and the workers. Would it be difficult to make Storm into a TNA traditionalist who wants to make TNA great again and get rid of this Hardy nonsense? Topical and far more believable than the 'Annonymous-Lite' gimmick.

The main event No-DQ match between Jeff Hardy & Bram was just a glorified 3-1 handicap match. Normally this would be a good way to build heat for Matt's inevitable comeback, but Jeff put up such a good fight that it made the DCC look weak. The match should have swapped places with Drake-EC3 and served as an angle, with the DCC decimating Jeff and holding off the TNA babyfaces only for Moose to appear and cause the DCC to retreat. That would have been more productive than what we got.

In saying that, the show certainly had it's strong points. EC3-Drake was a solid main event bout, with Eli in control for long stretches and EC3 fighting from underneath. They did the thing where the match was based around them kicking out of their best moves, which is usually shallow, but given the stipulation of the match (Eli putting his 2016 promo privilages up for a shot at Eddie Edwards) I can live with both guys giving their all. The highlight of the match was Drake hitting the Lance Storm/Shelton Benjamin leapfrog onto the turnbuckle to nail a lightening-quick superplex. It was a great transition spot and he nailed it really well. November was a good month for Drake, with two easy match of the week contenders.

The Thanksgiving Dinner segment with Maria, Bennett, Laurel, Suttor and Allie was everything it needed to be. Allie is only second to Broken Matt Hardy as the most over act on the roster and the way her character has progressed through out the year has been well handled. Everyone was on point here, with the heels pushing Allie too far, ending with Maria copping a desert to the face. As is tradition on a thanksgiving show on this. I like the way they're building to an inevitable Maria/Bennett v Allie/Suttor match. As long as they can come up with a few creative spots, the crowd will eat the match up.

Speaking of tradition, Grado seemed devastated to be wearing the turkey suit...until he realised he secretly loved it. There's always room for silliness in Pro Wrestling and Grado is one of the best comedians in Pro Wrestling.

I feel sorry for Snow. Clearly his program with Sheera & The Tribunal is his project and he's trying his best to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. The Tribunal are miscast as the 'thug' heel team, they worked much better in NXT as the French Enzo & Cass. Stripping them of their personality serves only to highlight how mediocre they are in the ring. The match on TNA was brutal, lasting twice as long as it needed to and ending in a lame-duck DQ. The finish sets up a future strap match, which will probably drag for an eternity.

I have no idea what was going on with the X-Division. It seems like they threw their entire division (eight guys + Abyss to make up the numbers) into a three way nine-man elimination match that ultimately set up a match between Mandrews, Suttor and DJ Z. The entire division just feels like a giant gimmick, which is a shame because they have the talent and the X-Division has such a rich history that they can tap into.

No Edwards, Lashley, Rex or Rhodes this week.

Comment

Impact Wrestling

November 24th 2016 Thoughts

Broken Matt Hardy is back! And not a moment too soon either, the amnesia angle ran it's natural course and hit every note it possibly could. It works out nicely, since Jeff Hardy got his arse kicked by the DCC. That's the one positive of the DCC, the fact they exist so the Hardys have fresh bodies to work. It's just a shame that there's such a disconnect between the character, the angle and the workers. Would it be difficult to make Storm into a TNA traditionalist who wants to make TNA great again and get rid of this Hardy nonsense? Topical and far more believable than the 'Annonymous-Lite' gimmick.

The main event No-DQ match between Jeff Hardy & Bram was just a glorified 3-1 handicap match. Normally this would be a good way to build heat for Matt's inevitable comeback, but Jeff put up such a good fight that it made the DCC look weak. The match should have swapped places with Drake-EC3 and served as an angle, with the DCC decimating Jeff and holding off the TNA babyfaces only for Moose to appear and cause the DCC to retreat. That would have been more productive than what we got.

In saying that, the show certainly had it's strong points. EC3-Drake was a solid main event bout, with Eli in control for long stretches and EC3 fighting from underneath. They did the thing where the match was based around them kicking out of their best moves, which is usually shallow, but given the stipulation of the match (Eli putting his 2016 promo privilages up for a shot at Eddie Edwards) I can live with both guys giving their all. The highlight of the match was Drake hitting the Lance Storm/Shelton Benjamin leapfrog onto the turnbuckle to nail a lightening-quick superplex. It was a great transition spot and he nailed it really well. November was a good month for Drake, with two easy match of the week contenders.

The Thanksgiving Dinner segment with Maria, Bennett, Laurel, Suttor and Allie was everything it needed to be. Allie is only second to Broken Matt Hardy as the most over act on the roster and the way her character has progressed through out the year has been well handled. Everyone was on point here, with the heels pushing Allie too far, ending with Maria copping a desert to the face. As is tradition on a thanksgiving show on this. I like the way they're building to an inevitable Maria/Bennett v Allie/Suttor match. As long as they can come up with a few creative spots, the crowd will eat the match up.

Speaking of tradition, Grado seemed devastated to be wearing the turkey suit...until he realised he secretly loved it. There's always room for silliness in Pro Wrestling and Grado is one of the best comedians in Pro Wrestling.

I feel sorry for Snow. Clearly his program with Sheera & The Tribunal is his project and he's trying his best to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. The Tribunal are miscast as the 'thug' heel team, they worked much better in NXT as the French Enzo & Cass. Stripping them of their personality serves only to highlight how mediocre they are in the ring. The match on TNA was brutal, lasting twice as long as it needed to and ending in a lame-duck DQ. The finish sets up a future strap match, which will probably drag for an eternity.

I have no idea what was going on with the X-Division. It seems like they threw their entire division (eight guys + Abyss to make up the numbers) into a three way nine-man elimination match that ultimately set up a match between Mandrews, Suttor and DJ Z. The entire division just feels like a giant gimmick, which is a shame because they have the talent and the X-Division has such a rich history that they can tap into.

No Edwards, Lashley, Rex or Rhodes this week.

Comment

I am so excited to see Kingston in TNA getting promoted hardcore. IMO he the guy with the most potential that is not signed yet by WWE. When he is done right, he clicks so hard with the crowd. I thought it was him since the DCC started to appear, and when he unmasked I lost it. Now that Stein made it in WWE, I have faith Kingston could as well.

Unsubscribing from the Bucks newsletter was hilarious.
                            Flowers gathered in the morning,
                            Afternoon they blossom on,
                            Still are withered by the evening:
                            You can be me when I'm gone.

Comment

I am so excited to see Kingston in TNA getting promoted hardcore. IMO he the guy with the most potential that is not signed yet by WWE. When he is done right, he clicks so hard with the crowd. I thought it was him since the DCC started to appear, and when he unmasked I lost it. Now that Stein made it in WWE, I have faith Kingston could as well.

Unsubscribing from the Bucks newsletter was hilarious.
                              Flowers gathered in the morning,
                              Afternoon they blossom on,
                              Still are withered by the evening:
                              You can be me when I'm gone.

Comment

I like the inclusion of Kingston as well. TNA needs as many hands as they can and Kingston does have some level of Indy cred (although, yes his best days are certainly behind him).

I hate the way he's being booked though. He's the Buddy Roberts of the DCC and he's talked down as some no-name that Storm brought into fill the numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                X