Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: General Discussion, News, & Fight Announcement Thread

Originally posted by Kilgore View Post
    Ultimate Fighting. Everything was Ultimate Fighting to me. Pride Ultimate Fighting.

MMA just sounded too light to me for a long time, so I kept calling it NHB. I finally gave it up when I realized that nobody knew what the fuck I was talking about.

Ultimate Fighting or Cage Fighting are probably the two most commonly recognizable names for the sport from my experiences. Even calling it MMA sometimes you just get that puzzled "What is that?" look, then you got to tell them, "You know... cage fighting".... "Oh, yeah! Brock Lesnar!"

Comment

Aldo is injured and out of the rematch with Chad Mendes. That really sucks a bag of dicks...but seriously just give Cub Swanson a call and see if he's game and if Mendes agrees you have the main event. I kind of doubt that happens though. Cub was in a war last weekend so I doubt he's to eager to do a short notice fight with a guy the caliber of Mendes. But you never know.

Comment

Aldo is injured and out of the rematch with Chad Mendes. That really sucks a bag of dicks...but seriously just give Cub Swanson a call and see if he's game and if Mendes agrees you have the main event. I kind of doubt that happens though. Cub was in a war last weekend so I doubt he's to eager to do a short notice fight with a guy the caliber of Mendes. But you never know.

Comment

^That does suck. I was really looking forward to that fight.

Some news from the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter(F4wonline.com):

The UFC is working on a co-promotion deal with Vale Tudo Japan for a unique round robin tournament-Ultimate Fighter hybrid set to air in a few different Asian TV markets. Something interesting is that Vale Tudo Japan was the original parent company of Shooto, which was formed in 1985 when when Satoru Sayama, the original Tiger Mask, formed the promotion as a shoot, running small events at Korakuen Hall, after the first Japanese UWF went down, so they were technically the very first MMA promotion(even though the rules were slightly different).

It's looking like Rousey vs Carano is not going to happen. Carano has a hollywood agent working with the UFC and negotiations fell apart. Dana White said that either Carano talks to them or the fight doesn't happen.

The UFC is negotiating a deal for the rights to another tape library for the Fight Pass, something from the old days. I hope its Pancrase.

Anthony Pettis could be on the cover of the Weaties box soon.

The September 20th Saitama Super Arena show coming up for the Fight Pass is continuing to get more and more awesome. Nelson vs Hunt is the main event, with Meisha Tate, Gomi, Akiyama, and Kid Yamamoto also planned for the card.

Cruz will be back in September and could be fighting Mizugaki. Been watching a lot of Dominick Cruz on the Fight Pass and the dude was fucking awesome.

The Invicta stuff should be hitting the Fight Pass around August, with possibly their first live event streaming that month as well.

Demian Maia vs. Mike Pyle and Thales Leites vs. Francis Carmont have been added to the 8/23 show in Tulsa.

Meltzer lightly implies that the upcoming August 9th Metamoris grappling show could air on the Fight Pass. Josh Barnett is expected to take on Dean Lister and Chael Sonnen will take on Andre Galvao.

Scott Coker released 21 fighters within days of becoming the new Bellator bookerman.

Comment

^That does suck. I was really looking forward to that fight.

Some news from the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter(F4wonline.com):

The UFC is working on a co-promotion deal with Vale Tudo Japan for a unique round robin tournament-Ultimate Fighter hybrid set to air in a few different Asian TV markets. Something interesting is that Vale Tudo Japan was the original parent company of Shooto, which was formed in 1985 when when Satoru Sayama, the original Tiger Mask, formed the promotion as a shoot, running small events at Korakuen Hall, after the first Japanese UWF went down, so they were technically the very first MMA promotion(even though the rules were slightly different).

It's looking like Rousey vs Carano is not going to happen. Carano has a hollywood agent working with the UFC and negotiations fell apart. Dana White said that either Carano talks to them or the fight doesn't happen.

The UFC is negotiating a deal for the rights to another tape library for the Fight Pass, something from the old days. I hope its Pancrase.

Anthony Pettis could be on the cover of the Weaties box soon.

The September 20th Saitama Super Arena show coming up for the Fight Pass is continuing to get more and more awesome. Nelson vs Hunt is the main event, with Meisha Tate, Gomi, Akiyama, and Kid Yamamoto also planned for the card.

Cruz will be back in September and could be fighting Mizugaki. Been watching a lot of Dominick Cruz on the Fight Pass and the dude was fucking awesome.

The Invicta stuff should be hitting the Fight Pass around August, with possibly their first live event streaming that month as well.

Demian Maia vs. Mike Pyle and Thales Leites vs. Francis Carmont have been added to the 8/23 show in Tulsa.

Meltzer lightly implies that the upcoming August 9th Metamoris grappling show could air on the Fight Pass. Josh Barnett is expected to take on Dean Lister and Chael Sonnen will take on Andre Galvao.

Scott Coker released 21 fighters within days of becoming the new Bellator bookerman.

Comment

Just watched the final Pride show, Pride 34: Kamikaze(the one Pride show I never did see and I don't have it on DVD, caught it on Fight Pass) from the spring of 2007. This almost made me cry. Sakuraba made an appearance and was in tears as the original owner cut a promo about Pride. I never did get to see this show but I do remember reading a lot about it back in the day. I remember the word was that the UFC was going to keep Pride going. It wasn't until a few months later that we realized that Pride was gone. This was a pretty decent sendoff show though. They brought in Coleman and Randleman on commentary during the intermission and reminisced about the good old days of Pride.

Comment

Just watched the final Pride show, Pride 34: Kamikaze(the one Pride show I never did see and I don't have it on DVD, caught it on Fight Pass) from the spring of 2007. This almost made me cry. Sakuraba made an appearance and was in tears as the original owner cut a promo about Pride. I never did get to see this show but I do remember reading a lot about it back in the day. I remember the word was that the UFC was going to keep Pride going. It wasn't until a few months later that we realized that Pride was gone. This was a pretty decent sendoff show though. They brought in Coleman and Randleman on commentary during the intermission and reminisced about the good old days of Pride.

Comment

WSOF is on NBC right now.

Comment

WSOF is on NBC right now.

Comment

I was hoping Nick Newell would win the title today because that dude is so damn inspirational. Justin Gaethje is a really good fighter and I'm sure we'll be seeing him in the UFC eventually.

WSOF 11

Justin Gaethje (c) def. Nick Newell to retain the Lightweight Title via KO
                      Jon Fitch def. Dennis Hallman via Unanimous Decision
                      Cody Bollinger def. Pablo Alfonso via Rear-Naked Choke
                      Melvin Guillard def. Gesias Cavalcante via KO

Bollinger and Guillard both missed weight. Bollinger is moving to 145. He was kicked off TUF for missing weight so it's obviously an issue and I'm glad he is changing weight classes.

*CREDIT TO FRESH PRINCE*

PW'S 2015 WWE HOMETOWN HERO

Comment

I was hoping Nick Newell would win the title today because that dude is so damn inspirational. Justin Gaethje is a really good fighter and I'm sure we'll be seeing him in the UFC eventually.

WSOF 11

Justin Gaethje (c) def. Nick Newell to retain the Lightweight Title via KO
                        Jon Fitch def. Dennis Hallman via Unanimous Decision
                        Cody Bollinger def. Pablo Alfonso via Rear-Naked Choke
                        Melvin Guillard def. Gesias Cavalcante via KO

Bollinger and Guillard both missed weight. Bollinger is moving to 145. He was kicked off TUF for missing weight so it's obviously an issue and I'm glad he is changing weight classes.

*CREDIT TO FRESH PRINCE*

PW'S 2015 WWE HOMETOWN HERO

Comment

I did not catch today's WSOF event but I did catch a replay last weekend of one of their recent shows(Anthony Johnson vs Mike Kyle) and it was a fun show. I really hate the name World Series of Fighting, but they do seem like a well run promotion from what I saw at that show. Plus, having Bas Rutten on commentary is always a plus.

Comment

I did not catch today's WSOF event but I did catch a replay last weekend of one of their recent shows(Anthony Johnson vs Mike Kyle) and it was a fun show. I really hate the name World Series of Fighting, but they do seem like a well run promotion from what I saw at that show. Plus, having Bas Rutten on commentary is always a plus.

Comment

Gonna be using the Fight Pass free trial to watch Fight Night Dublin, love Connor McGregor, really hoping he can continue to climb, been fantastically dynamic to watch thus far.
                              Originally posted by Black Dynamite
                              Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

Comment

Gonna be using the Fight Pass free trial to watch Fight Night Dublin, love Connor McGregor, really hoping he can continue to climb, been fantastically dynamic to watch thus far.
                                Originally posted by Black Dynamite
                                Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

Comment

Working...
                                X