X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any news on a 2nd Punk fight?

Money talks

UFC is lacking fighters that draw.

So yeah, he will fight again. Most likely the end of this year.

Comment

Money talks

UFC is lacking fighters that draw.

So yeah, he will fight again. Most likely the end of this year.

Comment

Putting him on The Ultimate Fighter makes sense but I think they learned their lesson from wasting Kimbo on that show, his lone fight on the show was one of the most watched MMA fights ever on TV and it was taped months in advance! And it was on cable not free network tv! And he lost. So had they put him on PPV and protected him somewhat with more even matchups they could have made so much more money and eventually put somebody over big time in a much bigger marquee fight. Putting Kimbo on TUF was one of the biggest wastes ever. Stupid really. UFC has this weird logic that they go by, like throwing Rousey against Nunes in her first fight back from over a year off coming off of a brutal knockout, their logic was that she was getting paid so much so she HAD to fight the Champion, it's the only way. Ok, look at your stupid ass now, UFC 213 is probably going to do the lowest buys for a UFC PPV in the past 13 years.
        Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 07-16-2017, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Putting him on The Ultimate Fighter makes sense but I think they learned their lesson from wasting Kimbo on that show, his lone fight on the show was one of the most watched MMA fights ever on TV and it was taped months in advance! And it was on cable not free network tv! And he lost. So had they put him on PPV and protected him somewhat with more even matchups they could have made so much more money and eventually put somebody over big time in a much bigger marquee fight. Putting Kimbo on TUF was one of the biggest wastes ever. Stupid really. UFC has this weird logic that they go by, like throwing Rousey against Nunes in her first fight back from over a year off coming off of a brutal knockout, their logic was that she was getting paid so much so she HAD to fight the Champion, it's the only way. Ok, look at your stupid ass now, UFC 213 is probably going to do the lowest buys for a UFC PPV in the past 13 years.

Comment

Originally posted by vendrell View Post
            I think it would be equally unkind to him to go TUF route. I think he'd get mauled and be out of the competition pretty quickly. He's just to damn old.
            I feel the same.. It's not just the age, but most of the fighters coming trough TUF are high level fighters, some even decorated in other organizations. I dont think Mickey Gall is levels above those couming through TUF... Yet Gall made Punk look like easy work.

Comment

Originally posted by vendrell View Post
              I think it would be equally unkind to him to go TUF route. I think he'd get mauled and be out of the competition pretty quickly. He's just to damn old.
              I feel the same.. It's not just the age, but most of the fighters coming trough TUF are high level fighters, some even decorated in other organizations. I dont think Mickey Gall is levels above those couming through TUF... Yet Gall made Punk look like easy work.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
                UFC is so bad at novelty fights. How about when they threw Brock in with Frank F'n Mir in his first UFC fight, and Brock lost. Brock becomes one of their biggest draws ever, which is blind luck considering how bad they fucked it up to be begin with.

$

Comment

Originally posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
                  UFC is so bad at novelty fights. How about when they threw Brock in with Frank F'n Mir in his first UFC fight, and Brock lost. Brock becomes one of their biggest draws ever, which is blind luck considering how bad they fucked it up to be begin with.

$

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgore View Post

It almost felt like they were wanting Brock to lose. Brock's only weapon is wrestling, throwing him in against a guy who is dangerous on the mat was very odd. Of course when they ran the fight back, Brock mauled Frank and beat his face in so whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgore View Post

It almost felt like they were wanting Brock to lose. Brock's only weapon is wrestling, throwing him in against a guy who is dangerous on the mat was very odd. Of course when they ran the fight back, Brock mauled Frank and beat his face in so whatever.

Comment

He will fight again but UFC probably wants these big egos coming from the WWE torn down a little on their debut then they can rebuild up.
                        TNA Forum Title History
                        Forum Championship (1 time)
                        Tag Team Championship (3 time)
                        X Championship (2 time)
                        Internet Championship (3 time)

Comment

He will fight again but UFC probably wants these big egos coming from the WWE torn down a little on their debut then they can rebuild up.
                          TNA Forum Title History
                          Forum Championship (1 time)
                          Tag Team Championship (3 time)
                          X Championship (2 time)
                          Internet Championship (3 time)

Comment

Originally posted by X-zero View Post
                            I don't think there is anything to build up for Punk. Brock at least had the background in some sort of mma linked competition so you knew it was possible to build him up because he at least had a base. Punk doesn't even really have that.

Comment

Originally posted by X-zero View Post
                              I don't think there is anything to build up for Punk. Brock at least had the background in some sort of mma linked competition so you knew it was possible to build him up because he at least had a base. Punk doesn't even really have that.

Comment

Honestly, UFC does not have the money to put Punk on TUF. Punk's ask would be millions for it. He knows he is ratings, and to give up that much time, he would want a lot more than the cost of a single fight. And really, why shouldn't Punk demand like 5 to 10 million if UFC is going to do one fight, plus 13 episodes or so of him? At that point things get weird, because Punk would want more cash than the two stars on the show would be taking in. Punk is not stupid, he knows by doing almost no media, he is still red hot when he wants to be. When he appears again, people will be paying big for it. He seen guys like Foley appear so much when they were "saving" their last matches that now they are next to nothing to bring in and he will not reduce his cost.

That said, Punk is closing in on 40, so if he wants to work again, it will have to be soon. His body is messed up as it is, and age will not be his friend here.
                                Last edited by Engel; 07-17-2017, 10:53 PM.
                                Flowers gathered in the morning,
                                Afternoon they blossom on,
                                Still are withered by the evening:
                                You can be me when I'm gone.

Comment

Working...
                                X