Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Rene Dupree ever have been a main event star in the WWE?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Rene Dupree ever have been a main event star in the WWE?

You know I always liked Rene Dupree, right from his debut he looked like a star and after the La Resistance tag team (which I also rated) it looked like he was going to be a major player in the WWE.

I remember he even had his short lived talk show section 'cafe del Rene' I think it was called and I thought he played the anti American gimmick perfectly. Age, Size and charisma all seemed to be on his side and obviously we know JBL gave him a hard time back stage which seemingly lead to him leaving the company.

Do you think if Rene had stayed in the WWE he would have become a major star in the company? Looking at the current situation he would have been perfect and better in the role Jinder Mahal is portraying right now
    Please take a second to come vote in the Pro Wrestling Forums Tag Team Tournament.

Re: Would Rene Dupree ever have been a main event star in the WWE?

He was 19. He had a great body and was solid in the ring. I think he would have gotten there had he not caused some problems backstage. Then again, he's a young guy at the time.

Comment

He was 19. He had a great body and was solid in the ring. I think he would have gotten there had he not caused some problems backstage. Then again, he's a young guy at the time.

Comment

Just a little tidbit that I thought would be fun to add: René Duprée is the same age today as Deacon Batista was in 2002.

Comment

Just a little tidbit that I thought would be fun to add: René Duprée is the same age today as Deacon Batista was in 2002.

Comment

I suppose with the right push he could have been big. He was young with a good look and I don't think he was much better or worse than Randy Orton in the ring.

I personally wasn't a Rene Dupree fan at all. He was so bland. Very much a product of the times as WWE called up one dull OVW prospect after another. Nothing about his wrestling stood out and even the La Resistance gimmick, which I thought was going to be a heat magnet, failed to attract much interest. I have trouble remembering a single thing he did outside of almost killing Spike Dudley when La Resistance botched a double chokeslam from the ring to the floor.

Comment

I suppose with the right push he could have been big. He was young with a good look and I don't think he was much better or worse than Randy Orton in the ring.

I personally wasn't a Rene Dupree fan at all. He was so bland. Very much a product of the times as WWE called up one dull OVW prospect after another. Nothing about his wrestling stood out and even the La Resistance gimmick, which I thought was going to be a heat magnet, failed to attract much interest. I have trouble remembering a single thing he did outside of almost killing Spike Dudley when La Resistance botched a double chokeslam from the ring to the floor.

Comment

His maturity level, drugs and politics did him in.

For perspective, he's just six months older than Kevin Owens. I mean, can you imagine (for example) Owens debuting in WWE in late 2003 (at the same age)? Nobody is ready for that, no matter their look or pedigree (Dupree began working for his father's promotion in Canada at age 14).

If he'd spent his early 20s coming up through the indies, or even today's developmental system, he probably would have been a true star. Throwing such a young guy into the pressure cooker of the main roster was never really going to end well.

Comment

His maturity level, drugs and politics did him in.

For perspective, he's just six months older than Kevin Owens. I mean, can you imagine (for example) Owens debuting in WWE in late 2003 (at the same age)? Nobody is ready for that, no matter their look or pedigree (Dupree began working for his father's promotion in Canada at age 14).

If he'd spent his early 20s coming up through the indies, or even today's developmental system, he probably would have been a true star. Throwing such a young guy into the pressure cooker of the main roster was never really going to end well.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian_Peep View Post
                    Looking at the current situation he would have been perfect and better in the role Jinder Mahal is portraying right now
                    How would Rene have been better at being an Indian champ to spearhead the expansion into India?
                    : 04/02/11}:forever&always
                    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
                    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

Comment

Originally posted by Christian_Peep View Post
                      Looking at the current situation he would have been perfect and better in the role Jinder Mahal is portraying right now
                      How would Rene have been better at being an Indian champ to spearhead the expansion into India?
                      : 04/02/11}:forever&always
                      ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
                      http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

Comment

I always liked Dupree and he was always one of those guys I thought they could push more than they did. It's kinda like how I feel about Cesaro nowadays. I am usually pretty entertained by him, I think his matches are usually good, and I think he could get a push higher than he is.

Comment

I always liked Dupree and he was always one of those guys I thought they could push more than they did. It's kinda like how I feel about Cesaro nowadays. I am usually pretty entertained by him, I think his matches are usually good, and I think he could get a push higher than he is.

Comment

I never thought Rene was anything special. He was just sort of there.

Props to surrender for the great banner.

Comment

I never thought Rene was anything special. He was just sort of there.

Props to surrender for the great banner.

Comment

Working...
                              X