Rick 'The Model' Martel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick 'The Model' Martel

Was just wondering what other people may have thought about the man known as The Model back in the days of the WWF? Martel to me was a great character and wrestler and very under rated during his time in the WWF. I'm not sure why he is not in the Hall of fame by now especially when you get the likes of DDP, Koko B Ware and Beth Phoenix in there already. I am not giving disrespect to them what so ever but Rick Martel should be in before they were even considered for an induction.
    Surely he will be inducted next year as he is probably one of the best Superstars not to be in there right now.

One of my favourite angles back in the days was the Martel and Jake Roberts story with Jake getting blinded by Martels arrogance spray he used to carry around with him leading to the blindfold match at Wrestlemania 7. I know nowadays the angle is silly but for a kid at the age of 9 which is what I was back then it was brilliant and still something I remember to this day.

His promos and way he portrayed the model character was great and you only have to look at the things that he achieved in his career to realise he was a great wrestler. I always thought that he would have been a great long term Intercontinental Champion and don't understand why the WWF never gave him a run with the strap.

I was gutted when he went to WCW and although he was not used much for the company he did have a great series of matches with Booker T.

The Model gimmick though was my favourate of all time and reckon he would be great doing something in NXT with the young guys training them in how to make a character successful like he did with his. Interviews on YouTube with Martel state that he hated it when the idea was pitched to him by Vince Mcmahon but he worked and worked with it to get it over.

Anyway like i said I just wanted to know what you guys and girls thought about Rick 'The Model' Martel?
    Please take a second to come vote in the Pro Wrestling Forums Tag Team Tournament.

Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

I don't know about a long-term reign, but I feel like Model definitely deserved to hold the IC title at some point. This may be blasphemy in the Bakery, but in revisionist history, I'd give the Mountie's run in early '92 to Model instead (including still dropping to Piper). Replace the shock stick shenanigans with Arrogance shenanigans for same effect even. Would've made Model have a modicum of legitimacy when facing off against Razor later in '93.
    : 04/02/11}:forever&always
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

Comment

I don't know about a long-term reign, but I feel like Model definitely deserved to hold the IC title at some point. This may be blasphemy in the Bakery, but in revisionist history, I'd give the Mountie's run in early '92 to Model instead (including still dropping to Piper). Replace the shock stick shenanigans with Arrogance shenanigans for same effect even. Would've made Model have a modicum of legitimacy when facing off against Razor later in '93.
      : 04/02/11}:forever&always
      ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
      http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

Comment

Great mid-card talent. I never pictured him being WWE champ, but I-C was fitting for Ric. A really talented wrestler that could play an arrogant heel well and put on a good match. I'd be fine with him getting a HOF nod.

Comment

Great mid-card talent. I never pictured him being WWE champ, but I-C was fitting for Ric. A really talented wrestler that could play an arrogant heel well and put on a good match. I'd be fine with him getting a HOF nod.

Comment

I thought Rick Martel was a really good character, and his feud with Jake Roberts was amazing but it was ruined within second in the blindfold match , when he put his hand inside the mask and surprise surprise you could see his fingers though the mask, ruining the whole set up for the match

Comment

I thought Rick Martel was a really good character, and his feud with Jake Roberts was amazing but it was ruined within second in the blindfold match , when he put his hand inside the mask and surprise surprise you could see his fingers though the mask, ruining the whole set up for the match

Comment

My first wrestling memory that I can remember was watching Strike Force against somebody on one of those early morning/afternoon wwf shows they used to have.

I connected with those guys. Two young, good looking dudes in white tights ... I wanted to be those guys.

When Rick turned asshole that was my first "Fuck you moment" in wrestling. Where I actually said to somebody, "Oh, okay. You're dead to me now. Fuck you, Martel!"

Subsequent uses of heel turns jaded me. For me at that point in my life, it was powerful it hurt.

That's how I remember Martel.

Also, Boston Crab, motherfuckers!

Comment

My first wrestling memory that I can remember was watching Strike Force against somebody on one of those early morning/afternoon wwf shows they used to have.

I connected with those guys. Two young, good looking dudes in white tights ... I wanted to be those guys.

When Rick turned asshole that was my first "Fuck you moment" in wrestling. Where I actually said to somebody, "Oh, okay. You're dead to me now. Fuck you, Martel!"

Subsequent uses of heel turns jaded me. For me at that point in my life, it was powerful it hurt.

That's how I remember Martel.

Also, Boston Crab, motherfuckers!

Comment

I was a Model fan and would have no problem with him making the WWE Hall of Fame. Also think he could have been a solid IC champ. Now that PI mentions it, he probably would have made more sense as IC champ than my man The Mountie.

Haven't seen much of his pre-WWF career. The idea of Martel as the champ of a major organization (AWA) always struck me as weird given his lifelong WWF midcard status and lack of any real World Champion-type intangibles but people tell me he did well enough in that role.

Didn't care much for the Can Ams and hated Strike Force. As a young heel fan, blowjob babyface teams were definitely not my thing. And Strike Force got on my shit list when they beat my boys the Hart Foundation for the belt.

Martel turning on Tito is one of the more memorable heel turns of my youth and being a heel fan I naturally I took to "The Model" right away. He would remain a solid second tier favorite for the next few years.

The Jake feud is easily the highlight of his WWF career. The Blindfold Match (and heel vs. heel Michaels match from Summerslam '92) was quality sports entertainment.

Liked the Razor IC title match but thought it was a little weird that Model, who had been out of action for a pretty long time, was randomly in such a high profile position.

Didn't see his WCW run but again thought it weird when reading about Martel, who had been out of action for four years this time, was randomly winning the TV title as a face (he'll always be The Model to me) one of his first match back. Wrestling had changed A LOT in the four years Martel was away. He seemed like a relic from a bygone era.

Props to Mad Dog for mentioning Martel's Boston Crab. Naturally as young wrestling fans, my friend and I wrestled. And we soon learned most of the submission holds didn't actually hurt. But you better believe the Boston Crab did! Extremely painful maneuver! The Boston Crab had a ton of credibility in my 'hood for that reason.

I also used to run spraying people with a Windex-style bottle filled with water as my "Arrogance." I was a real dick about it too. I would randomly spray people whenever the opportunity arose. Got in trouble for it more than once

Comment

I was a Model fan and would have no problem with him making the WWE Hall of Fame. Also think he could have been a solid IC champ. Now that PI mentions it, he probably would have made more sense as IC champ than my man The Mountie.

Haven't seen much of his pre-WWF career. The idea of Martel as the champ of a major organization (AWA) always struck me as weird given his lifelong WWF midcard status and lack of any real World Champion-type intangibles but people tell me he did well enough in that role.

Didn't care much for the Can Ams and hated Strike Force. As a young heel fan, blowjob babyface teams were definitely not my thing. And Strike Force got on my shit list when they beat my boys the Hart Foundation for the belt.

Martel turning on Tito is one of the more memorable heel turns of my youth and being a heel fan I naturally I took to "The Model" right away. He would remain a solid second tier favorite for the next few years.

The Jake feud is easily the highlight of his WWF career. The Blindfold Match (and heel vs. heel Michaels match from Summerslam '92) was quality sports entertainment.

Liked the Razor IC title match but thought it was a little weird that Model, who had been out of action for a pretty long time, was randomly in such a high profile position.

Didn't see his WCW run but again thought it weird when reading about Martel, who had been out of action for four years this time, was randomly winning the TV title as a face (he'll always be The Model to me) one of his first match back. Wrestling had changed A LOT in the four years Martel was away. He seemed like a relic from a bygone era.

Props to Mad Dog for mentioning Martel's Boston Crab. Naturally as young wrestling fans, my friend and I wrestled. And we soon learned most of the submission holds didn't actually hurt. But you better believe the Boston Crab did! Extremely painful maneuver! The Boston Crab had a ton of credibility in my 'hood for that reason.

I also used to run spraying people with a Windex-style bottle filled with water as my "Arrogance." I was a real dick about it too. I would randomly spray people whenever the opportunity arose. Got in trouble for it more than once

Comment

Martel did a great job w/ that gimmick in making it work.

Originally posted by PI
                        I like that. A Ramon-Martel feud could've been good too.

Originally posted by Leper Messiah
                        Reportedly there were plans to induct The Model a few yrs ago but he turned it down. Interestingly, somebody nominated him for the HOF on my site.
                        First set of inductees for Titans: Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Shawn Michaels, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and The Undertaker

Comment

Martel did a great job w/ that gimmick in making it work.

Originally posted by PI
                          I like that. A Ramon-Martel feud could've been good too.

Originally posted by Leper Messiah
                          Reportedly there were plans to induct The Model a few yrs ago but he turned it down. Interestingly, somebody nominated him for the HOF on my site.
                          First set of inductees for Titans: Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Shawn Michaels, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and The Undertaker

Comment

My childhood mostly was seeing Rick Martel lose to Tatanka. It was annoying. I didn't understand how a feud could continue to happen when Martel literally never won.

Comment

My childhood mostly was seeing Rick Martel lose to Tatanka. It was annoying. I didn't understand how a feud could continue to happen when Martel literally never won.

Comment

Working...
                              X