Rick 'The Model' Martel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

When it came to Martel being AWA World Champ, he was actually a very good fit given what Verne wanted in a world champ. I'm sure Verne wanted a young, good looking, great technician babyface to be world champ for a long reign. That's the template Verne represented in his young peak days. So looking at AWA's roster at that time, Martel was the best choice on that roster. But IN GENERAL, I think Steamboat would have been the best choice for that template. Steamboat also had the ripped new age physique and awesome martial arts stuff on top of it.

Or Barry Windham would have been awesome in that spot too. But as of 1984, Martel was still one of the best fits given what Verne was looking for. In terms of look and in ring ability, Martel had a great package to bring to the table. His main shortcoming was of course his mic skills. Steamboat and Windham weren't worldbeaters on the mic either, but they were better than Martel.

Comment

When it came to Martel being AWA World Champ, he was actually a very good fit given what Verne wanted in a world champ. I'm sure Verne wanted a young, good looking, great technician babyface to be world champ for a long reign. That's the template Verne represented in his young peak days. So looking at AWA's roster at that time, Martel was the best choice on that roster. But IN GENERAL, I think Steamboat would have been the best choice for that template. Steamboat also had the ripped new age physique and awesome martial arts stuff on top of it.

Or Barry Windham would have been awesome in that spot too. But as of 1984, Martel was still one of the best fits given what Verne was looking for. In terms of look and in ring ability, Martel had a great package to bring to the table. His main shortcoming was of course his mic skills. Steamboat and Windham weren't worldbeaters on the mic either, but they were better than Martel.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
        I was a Model fan and would have no problem with him making the WWE Hall of Fame. Also think he could have been a solid IC champ. Now that PI mentions it, he probably would have made more sense as IC champ than my man The Mountie.

Haven't seen much of his pre-WWF career. The idea of Martel as the champ of a major organization (AWA) always struck me as weird given his lifelong WWF midcard status and lack of any real World Champion-type intangibles but people tell me he did well enough in that role.

Didn't care much for the Can Ams and hated Strike Force. As a young heel fan, blowjob babyface teams were definitely not my thing. And Strike Force got on my shit list when they beat my boys the Hart Foundation for the belt.

Martel turning on Tito is one of the more memorable heel turns of my youth and being a heel fan I naturally I took to "The Model" right away. He would remain a solid second tier favorite for the next few years.

The Jake feud is easily the highlight of his WWF career. The Blindfold Match (and heel vs. heel Michaels match from Summerslam '92) was quality sports entertainment.

Liked the Razor IC title match but thought it was a little weird that Model, who had been out of action for a pretty long time, was randomly in such a high profile position.

Didn't see his WCW run but again thought it weird when reading about Martel, who had been out of action for four years this time, was randomly winning the TV title as a face (he'll always be The Model to me) one of his first match back. Wrestling had changed A LOT in the four years Martel was away. He seemed like a relic from a bygone era.

Props to Mad Dog for mentioning Martel's Boston Crab. Naturally as young wrestling fans, my friend and I wrestled. And we soon learned most of the submission holds didn't actually hurt. But you better believe the Boston Crab did! Extremely painful maneuver! The Boston Crab had a ton of credibility in my 'hood for that reason.

I also used to run spraying people with a Windex-style bottle filled with water as my "Arrogance." I was a real dick about it too. I would randomly spray people whenever the opportunity arose. Got in trouble for it more than once
        Yeah, man. All the street gangs in my nieghborhood used the Boston Crab.

I also sprayed people with windex bottles full of water. But that's wasn't a wrestling thing, I was just being a dick.

Pro Tip: Make sure you ... Really rinse out all that windex first.

Comment

I was a Model fan and would have no problem with him making the WWE Hall of Fame. Also think he could have been a solid IC champ. Now that PI mentions it, he probably would have made more sense as IC champ than my man The Mountie.

Haven't seen much of his pre-WWF career. The idea of Martel as the champ of a major organization (AWA) always struck me as weird given his lifelong WWF midcard status and lack of any real World Champion-type intangibles but people tell me he did well enough in that role.

Didn't care much for the Can Ams and hated Strike Force. As a young heel fan, blowjob babyface teams were definitely not my thing. And Strike Force got on my shit list when they beat my boys the Hart Foundation for the belt.

Martel turning on Tito is one of the more memorable heel turns of my youth and being a heel fan I naturally I took to "The Model" right away. He would remain a solid second tier favorite for the next few years.

The Jake feud is easily the highlight of his WWF career. The Blindfold Match (and heel vs. heel Michaels match from Summerslam '92) was quality sports entertainment.

Liked the Razor IC title match but thought it was a little weird that Model, who had been out of action for a pretty long time, was randomly in such a high profile position.

Didn't see his WCW run but again thought it weird when reading about Martel, who had been out of action for four years this time, was randomly winning the TV title as a face (he'll always be The Model to me) one of his first match back. Wrestling had changed A LOT in the four years Martel was away. He seemed like a relic from a bygone era.

Props to Mad Dog for mentioning Martel's Boston Crab. Naturally as young wrestling fans, my friend and I wrestled. And we soon learned most of the submission holds didn't actually hurt. But you better believe the Boston Crab did! Extremely painful maneuver! The Boston Crab had a ton of credibility in my 'hood for that reason.

I also used to run spraying people with a Windex-style bottle filled with water as my "Arrogance." I was a real dick about it too. I would randomly spray people whenever the opportunity arose. Got in trouble for it more than once

I also sprayed people with windex bottles full of water. But that's wasn't a wrestling thing, I was just being a dick.

Pro Tip: Make sure you ... Really rinse out all that windex first.

Comment

Add me to the spraying people with watered down arrogance list. I had like a plant spritzer, so no Windex involved, though. Savages.

$

Comment

Add me to the spraying people with watered down arrogance list. I had like a plant spritzer, so no Windex involved, though. Savages.

$

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgore View Post
                And I thought I was a fancyman ... I never even heard of a plant spritzer until this post.

Comment

And I thought I was a fancyman ... I never even heard of a plant spritzer until this post.

Comment

It wasn't actual Windex. I doubt if it was even a Windex bottle. I did say a "Windex-style bottle." Should have just said a spray bottle to avoid confusion

Originally posted by Mad Dog Smith View Post
                    The only other move as painful as the Boston Crab was the Camel Clutch. See, I was a total badass, Stone Cold-style baby, who refused to submit to any hold for years. Then this dude Adam put me in the Camel Clutch. Ouch. I wasn't so badass anymore. He had it on so tight I couldn't even say the words "I Quit" for the first time despite desperately wanting too. For a second there I thought my back was about to be broken. The Camel Clutch is savage.

Comment

It wasn't actual Windex. I doubt if it was even a Windex bottle. I did say a "Windex-style bottle." Should have just said a spray bottle to avoid confusion

The only other move as painful as the Boston Crab was the Camel Clutch. See, I was a total badass, Stone Cold-style baby, who refused to submit to any hold for years. Then this dude Adam put me in the Camel Clutch. Ouch. I wasn't so badass anymore. He had it on so tight I couldn't even say the words "I Quit" for the first time despite desperately wanting too. For a second there I thought my back was about to be broken. The Camel Clutch is savage.

Comment

Well personally, I admire you for putting a new talent over.

If only someone was as unselfish as you were when I wrestling my friends behind the Steel Warehouse where I grew up ...

Damn you, Biff Superturd! You were the Hogan of our promotion!

Comment

If only someone was as unselfish as you were when I wrestling my friends behind the Steel Warehouse where I grew up ...

Damn you, Biff Superturd! You were the Hogan of our promotion!

Comment

I didn't put him over by choice. I put him over to save my back. I didn't like putting anyone over. I had an ego the size of Hogan and I would get surly and shoot on people from time to time. So I was kind of like JBL too. And, much like Shawn Michaels, I also had the best matches to go along with having the worst attitude.

So I was basically Hogan + JBL + Michaels. Beat that.
                            Mid-late 90s Baker=best heel ever.

Comment

I didn't put him over by choice. I put him over to save my back. I didn't like putting anyone over. I had an ego the size of Hogan and I would get surly and shoot on people from time to time. So I was kind of like JBL too. And, much like Shawn Michaels, I also had the best matches to go along with having the worst attitude.

So I was basically Hogan + JBL + Michaels. Beat that.
                              Mid-late 90s Baker=best heel ever.

Comment

All those back moves hurt. Sharpshooter and the Texas Cloverleaf were excruciating too.

$

Comment

Working...
                                X