In-Ring: 9

Indulgent Bonus

Vince McMahon
    Look: 7
    Promo: 10
    In-Ring: 5

Kane
    Look: 9
    Promo: 1 (Holy shit, some of the worst promos of all-time)
    In-Ring: 6

Chyna
    Look: 10
    Promo: 4

X-Pac
    Look: 7. (Thank you Zack de la Rocha)
    Promo: 6
    In-Ring: 8

Comment

Re: Bret Hart's 30 Point Grading System

I'm late to the party so I'll just get to where everybody else is.

Bret Hart
      Promo: 7
      In-Ring: 10

Shawn Michaels
      Promo: 9

Diesel
      Look: 9 (He generally looked like an out of work basketball player, but I can't think of many of such description who couldn't kick my ass)

Razor Ramon
      Promo: 8

Yokozuna
      Promo: 1

Can anybody give an example of a 1 in the Look department? Other than James Ellsworth?
      If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
      -John Stuart Mill

Comment

I'm late to the party so I'll just get to where everybody else is.

Bret Hart
        Promo: 7

Shawn Michaels
        Promo: 9

Diesel
        Look: 9 (He generally looked like an out of work basketball player, but I can't think of many of such description who couldn't kick my ass)

Razor Ramon
        Promo: 8

Yokozuna
        Promo: 1

Can anybody give an example of a 1 in the Look department? Other than James Ellsworth?
        If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
        -John Stuart Mill

Comment

Bret
          Promos: 10

HBK
          Look-9
          Promo-7
          In-Ring-10

Diesel
          Look-9
          Promo-8
          In-Ring-8

Razor
          Look-10
          Promo-10
          In-Ring- 8

Yokozuna
          Look-7
          Promo-1
          In-Ring-6

I rated Yoko pretty low but really I've done a 180 on the guy lately. Absolutely hated him and found him dreadful to watch back in the day, the more I've seen of him lately I appreciate him for what he could do, he was actually a really good big man and a great character.

Comment

Bret
            Promos: 10

HBK
            Look-9
            Promo-7
            In-Ring-10

Diesel
            Look-9
            Promo-8
            In-Ring-8

Razor
            Look-10
            Promo-10
            In-Ring- 8

Yokozuna
            Look-7
            Promo-1
            In-Ring-6

I rated Yoko pretty low but really I've done a 180 on the guy lately. Absolutely hated him and found him dreadful to watch back in the day, the more I've seen of him lately I appreciate him for what he could do, he was actually a really good big man and a great character.

Comment

Bret Hart
              Look: 7. In good shape, looks like an athlete, and has some features that make him stand out (hair, attire, shades), but not really imposing or larger than life.
              Promo: 5. People say his heel promos in 1997 are really good, and I've been meaning to check them out for a while, but never got round to it. All I know of his promos are some random pre-match/post-match interviews scattered around his career. I really like his approach, straightforward talking, talking like a real athlete would, treating pro-wrestling as if its an actual sport. Although this approach appeals to my tastes, nothing suggests to me that his speaking ability is anything above average. 5 seems about right,
              In ring: 10. One of my absolute favourites to watch in the ring. He's great at everything he does. Master of the little things.

Shawn Michaels
              Look: 8. This is based on his mid-late 90s look. Not the tallest guy, but made up for it in muscle mass. Tights suit him well, he has a handsome face and a nice head of hair.
              Promo: 6. He's a good speaker, has a powerful voice, and when he's on, he's great. But he's rarely on. Has far more average promos than good/great ones.
              In ring: 8. Extremely talented. Great at pretty much everything he does. But watching him over the years, he's somewhat of a one trick pony. His matches get samey very quickly. While he has a large list of classics, I feel like I couldn't watch many in a row without getting sick to death of him. I don't feel this way about other guys like Bret, Austin, and Flair.

Don't know enough about the other three to comment.

[MENTION=103897]ShinobiMusashi[/MENTION], you gave Bret a 10 for promo. Care to elaborate on that? Any recommendations?

Comment

Bret Hart
                Look: 7. In good shape, looks like an athlete, and has some features that make him stand out (hair, attire, shades), but not really imposing or larger than life.
                Promo: 5. People say his heel promos in 1997 are really good, and I've been meaning to check them out for a while, but never got round to it. All I know of his promos are some random pre-match/post-match interviews scattered around his career. I really like his approach, straightforward talking, talking like a real athlete would, treating pro-wrestling as if its an actual sport. Although this approach appeals to my tastes, nothing suggests to me that his speaking ability is anything above average. 5 seems about right,
                In ring: 10. One of my absolute favourites to watch in the ring. He's great at everything he does. Master of the little things.

Shawn Michaels
                Look: 8. This is based on his mid-late 90s look. Not the tallest guy, but made up for it in muscle mass. Tights suit him well, he has a handsome face and a nice head of hair.
                Promo: 6. He's a good speaker, has a powerful voice, and when he's on, he's great. But he's rarely on. Has far more average promos than good/great ones.
                In ring: 8. Extremely talented. Great at pretty much everything he does. But watching him over the years, he's somewhat of a one trick pony. His matches get samey very quickly. While he has a large list of classics, I feel like I couldn't watch many in a row without getting sick to death of him. I don't feel this way about other guys like Bret, Austin, and Flair.

Don't know enough about the other three to comment.

[MENTION=103897]ShinobiMusashi[/MENTION], you gave Bret a 10 for promo. Care to elaborate on that? Any recommendations?

Comment

Just always love everything about Bret, he always clicked with me, he just had a personality and a realness/authenticity in his voice an his tone that always drew me into him and what he was fighting for. His babyface promos as fighting Intercontinental Champ and later as world champ, his promos early on in the Owen feud where he was talking about how he'd never fight his little brother under absolutely any circumstances whatsoever, I just don't get this theory that Bret was bad on the mic, I seen it differently. Also his promos as a heel, the promo where he reunites with Owen on Raw in 97 heartfelt emotional promo, his promos that whole Summer criticizing USA were deep shit that is probably more relevant now than it was when he cut the promos 20 years ago. Also his promo he cut when he come back to WCW for the first time since Owen died, great shit. Bret had his own thing when he cut promos, he was very good, he was very cool in his own little way. No pro wrestlers ever cut promos that got me emotionally invested in a pro wrestling match/angle like Bret could. Nobody.

Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 05-19-2017, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Just always love everything about Bret, he always clicked with me, he just had a personality and a realness/authenticity in his voice an his tone that always drew me into him and what he was fighting for. His babyface promos as fighting Intercontinental Champ and later as world champ, his promos early on in the Owen feud where he was talking about how he'd never fight his little brother under absolutely any circumstances whatsoever, I just don't get this theory that Bret was bad on the mic, I seen it differently. Also his promos as a heel, the promo where he reunites with Owen on Raw in 97 heartfelt emotional promo, his promos that whole Summer criticizing USA were deep shit that is probably more relevant now than it was when he cut the promos 20 years ago. Also his promo he cut when he come back to WCW for the first time since Owen died, great shit. Bret had his own thing when he cut promos, he was very good, he was very cool in his own little way. No pro wrestlers ever cut promos that got me emotionally invested in a pro wrestling match/angle like Bret could. Nobody.

Comment

• Re: Bret Hart's 30 Point Grading System

Fine job, boys. Next batch will be Sunday night, so anybody that wants to catch up on the previous groups before then, tonight and the weekend should be a good time.

$

Comment

Fine job, boys. Next batch will be Sunday night, so anybody that wants to catch up on the previous groups before then, tonight and the weekend should be a good time.

$

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Slug View Post
                          It's rare in mainstream wrestling. Maybe a Colin Delaney or Bastion Booger. Much more common in places like ECW (perhaps the Rottens and similar slobs or Mikey), ROH (Special K, Jack Evans, other regular teenage looking dudes in street clothes) and low level indies/old school territories.

Bret Hart

Look- 8.5- He just kept climbing. Not the biggest guy in the world but was always in good shape and had quality "wrestler's hair" as we called it back in the day. Made sunglasses and the pink & black his thing.

Promos- 8- Pretty mediocre on the mic for most of his career, including early New Generation, with bland babyface-style promos, but stepped it up to be a 10/10 on the mic in 1997 by cutting some of the greatest, realest promos of all time. Actually.....his return in October '96 is probably where Great Promo Bret began.

In Ring- 10- One of the greats.

Shawn Michaels

Look- 8- Much like Bret, Shawn was in good shape without being huge and had quality wrestler's hair. I also liked his boots.

Promos- 7- Liked his cocky heel promos back in the day but his babyface promos as the top guy were nauseating. Did have a certain charisma on the mic though.

In Ring- 10- Again, one of the greats.

Diesel

Look- 9- Tall and fairly well built with wrestler's hair and a nice silver & black color scheme. Made the black glove his thing at least for a little while.

Promos- 7.5- Like the last two guys, cut much better promos as a heel. Gets an extra .5 for dropping an early (the first?) WWF pipebomb.

In Ring- 6- Came off as intimidating and could be carried. Didn't do much but most of his stuff looked good. Made something as pedestrian as an attack in the corner into a signature thing.

Razor Ramon

Look: 9.5- Man, it's no wonder we called it "wrestler's hair." Razor was also tall and in good shape. Deserves credit for getting bright colors over as his thing despite being a badass. Something happens to da gold, something happens to you, chico.

Promos: 9- Spoke entirely in catchphrases (seriously, the dude had almost as many as The Rock) with a fake accent. Somehow it worked.

In Ring: 7- The anti-Rock in a way. His execution was fabulous yet he rarely had great/memorable matches. Razor was solid but unspectacular in the ring.

Yokozuna

Look: 7- Went all the way with the fatty look to the point where it actually became a detriment. Had memorable attire and made the bold decision to go barefoot. And on the rare occasions his bun got undone a fabulous mane of wrestler's hair was revealed.

Promos: 1- Kind of unfair since he didn't cut any until very late in his career but it is what it is.

In Ring: 6- A more extreme version of Razor. Yoko's offense looked killer. He knew when to shake the earth with a rare big bump. Great squasher but rarely (never?) had an actual great match. Also relied on the the most boring of moves, the nerve hold, entirely too often.
                          Last edited by Baker; 05-22-2017, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Slug View Post
                            It's rare in mainstream wrestling. Maybe a Colin Delaney or Bastion Booger. Much more common in places like ECW (perhaps the Rottens and similar slobs or Mikey), ROH (Special K, Jack Evans, other regular teenage looking dudes in street clothes) and low level indies/old school territories.

Bret Hart

Look- 8.5- He just kept climbing. Not the biggest guy in the world but was always in good shape and had quality "wrestler's hair" as we called it back in the day. Made sunglasses and the pink & black his thing.

Promos- 8- Pretty mediocre on the mic for most of his career, including early New Generation, with bland babyface-style promos, but stepped it up to be a 10/10 on the mic in 1997 by cutting some of the greatest, realest promos of all time. Actually.....his return in October '96 is probably where Great Promo Bret began.

In Ring- 10- One of the greats.

Shawn Michaels

Look- 8- Much like Bret, Shawn was in good shape without being huge and had quality wrestler's hair. I also liked his boots.

Promos- 7- Liked his cocky heel promos back in the day but his babyface promos as the top guy were nauseating. Did have a certain charisma on the mic though.

In Ring- 10- Again, one of the greats.

Diesel

Look- 9- Tall and fairly well built with wrestler's hair and a nice silver & black color scheme. Made the black glove his thing at least for a little while.

Promos- 7.5- Like the last two guys, cut much better promos as a heel. Gets an extra .5 for dropping an early (the first?) WWF pipebomb.

In Ring- 6- Came off as intimidating and could be carried. Didn't do much but most of his stuff looked good. Made something as pedestrian as an attack in the corner into a signature thing.

Razor Ramon

Look: 9.5- Man, it's no wonder we called it "wrestler's hair." Razor was also tall and in good shape. Deserves credit for getting bright colors over as his thing despite being a badass. Something happens to da gold, something happens to you, chico.

Promos: 9- Spoke entirely in catchphrases (seriously, the dude had almost as many as The Rock) with a fake accent. Somehow it worked.

In Ring: 7- The anti-Rock in a way. His execution was fabulous yet he rarely had great/memorable matches. Razor was solid but unspectacular in the ring.

Yokozuna

Look: 7- Went all the way with the fatty look to the point where it actually became a detriment. Had memorable attire and made the bold decision to go barefoot. And on the rare occasions his bun got undone a fabulous mane of wrestler's hair was revealed.

Promos: 1- Kind of unfair since he didn't cut any until very late in his career but it is what it is.

In Ring: 6- A more extreme version of Razor. Yoko's offense looked killer. He knew when to shake the earth with a rare big bump. Great squasher but rarely (never?) had an actual great match. Also relied on the the most boring of moves, the nerve hold, entirely too often.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgore View Post

Steve Austin: 26.3
                              The Rock: 24.7
                              Mankind: 24.1
                              Triple H: 23.4
                              Undertaker: 22.1

First bit of scoring controversy. Due to:

-6 is not 0-10, so I couldn't count Otter's Mankind pick. Otter, if you want to change that to a zero, I'll update the score, and you can get a good laugh watching Foley nosedive in the standings.

Next Batch: The New Generation:

Bret Hart
                              Shawn Michaels
                              Diesel
                              Razor Ramon
                              Yokozuna
                              Then give the man a zero.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgore View Post

Steve Austin: 26.3
                                The Rock: 24.7
                                Mankind: 24.1
                                Triple H: 23.4
                                Undertaker: 22.1

First bit of scoring controversy. Due to:

-6 is not 0-10, so I couldn't count Otter's Mankind pick. Otter, if you want to change that to a zero, I'll update the score, and you can get a good laugh watching Foley nosedive in the standings.

Next Batch: The New Generation:

Bret Hart
                                Shawn Michaels
                                Diesel
                                Razor Ramon
                                Yokozuna
                                Then give the man a zero.

Comment

Working...
                                X