Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bret Hart's 30 Point Grading System

Ric Flair- Total: 27

Look: 7.5- Gave him the edge over Savage because of his iconic hair, it was even parodied in Eastbound And Down by Will Ferrell.

Promo: 10- He and the Rock vie for the GOAT.

In-Ring: 9.5- Could brawl, wrestle clean technical exhibitions, and heel it up.

Harley Race- Total: 19

Look: 6- Just had that tough trucker look who could beat your ass at anytime.

Promo: 6- Had that gravely voice that was always threatening. Not as charismatic though as the true greats.

In-Ring: 8- Delibrate, added in with the suplexes he had the top rope head butt. A meat and potatoes proto Benoit?

Dusty Rhodes- Total: 20.5

Look: 3- This is tough because his look really related to the everyday person and was unique but I have to agree with Baker on most everything else.

Promo: 10- Another sure fire top 10 addition.

In-Ring: 7.5- Could really move for a big man, sold well, great crowd interaction, effective babyface comebacks. He checks all the boxes to get a passing grade.

Tully Blanchard- Total: 17

Look: 2- Caved in hairy chest, pale, ugh... could pull off the suit and glasses though.

Promo: 7.5- Not Flair level but I especially remember him having memorable promo's against Dusty during their National title feud ("stir the pot", "I could've beat him in 4-7 seconds", just seek out early 1986 WCW shows, many are on youtube)

In-Ring: 7.5 Liked the slingshot suplex, played the pest well as a set-up for Arn.

Magnum T.A.-Total: 21.5

Look: 8.5 Hey, any resemblance to Tom Selleck (and being relatively buff) is a huge plus in the 1980's.

Promo: 6.5 Had good intensity but stumbled over his words sometimes.

In-Ring: 6.5- Again great intensity and selling, needed a better finisher though.

Does anyboby remember the old Wrestling Analyst magazine? It did very much the same thing. I tossed all my issues out unfortunately. Unbelievably I can't find any images on google, maybe I have the title wrong?

Comment

The forum is still fucked, pardon my formatting.

Comment

The forum is still fucked, pardon my formatting.

Comment

it was even parodied in Eastbound And Down by Will Ferrell.
          Schaffer is actually what pushed it to an 8 for me. When your look is so iconic it pops up in television 20 years after the fact, well, you've got something over your peers.

It's why the Ultimate Warrior would at least be an 8, even if his look seemed so stereotypical and unimaginative.

Comment

it was even parodied in Eastbound And Down by Will Ferrell.
            Schaffer is actually what pushed it to an 8 for me. When your look is so iconic it pops up in television 20 years after the fact, well, you've got something over your peers.

It's why the Ultimate Warrior would at least be an 8, even if his look seemed so stereotypical and unimaginative.

Comment

Ric Flair:
              Look: 6
              Promo: 10
              In-Ring:10 anything lower is a shame...

Harley Race:
              Look: 8
              Promo: 8
              In-Ring: 9

Dusty Rhodes:
              Look: 4
              In-Ring: 6

Tully Blanchard:
              Look: 7
              Promo: 7 The only One that stands out in my mind is this one that was so intense he was red in the face and sweating. He was straining so hard I thought he was going to
              have a heart attack, stroke or crap on him self. I laughed for 3 months straight HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Magnum TA:
              Promo: 6
              In-Ring: 7

Comment

Ric Flair:
                Look: 6
                In-Ring:10 anything lower is a shame...

Harley Race:
                In-Ring: 9

Dusty Rhodes:
                Look: 4

Tully Blanchard:
                Promo: 7 The only One that stands out in my mind is this one that was so intense he was red in the face and sweating. He was straining so hard I thought he was going to
                have a heart attack, stroke or crap on him self. I laughed for 3 months straight HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Magnum TA:
                In-Ring: 7

Comment

Good old reliable e-bay. These were pretty good magazines and did a good job of breaking down the pros and cons in many different categories and giving ratings out of 10.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Wrestlin...-/282343044588

Comment

Good old reliable e-bay. These were pretty good magazines and did a good job of breaking down the pros and cons in many different categories and giving ratings out of 10.

Comment

I don't remember The Analyst at all. I would have loved it in the early 90's.

$

Comment

I don't remember The Analyst at all. I would have loved it in the early 90's.

$

Comment

Late to the party!

Hulk Hogan:
                          Look: 10
                          In Ring Ability: 8

Hogan's look is iconic 80's shit, his promos were straight up money and still some of the funniest shit to me, his promo at the end of Summerslam 90 talking about saddling up on his Dyna wide glide motorcycle, his promo about the Genius on Saturday Night Main Event, then his promos as a heel Hollywood were just amazing to me. Hogan was one man that knew how to work a stick. In ring he's got his own style that I can appreciate, filled a lot of arenas with it and had people going nuts in so many matches.

"The Macho Man" Randy Savage:
                          In Ring Ability: 10

One of the greatest pro wrestlers that ever lived, across the board. I eat up everything Savage does, my favorite era of his career was when he was wearing the cowboy hat as a babyface good guy circa 1991-1992.

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper:
                          In Ring Ability: 7

Andre the Giant:

The Ultimate Warrior:
                          Promo: 9

Comment

Late to the party!

Hulk Hogan:
                            In Ring Ability: 8

Hogan's look is iconic 80's shit, his promos were straight up money and still some of the funniest shit to me, his promo at the end of Summerslam 90 talking about saddling up on his Dyna wide glide motorcycle, his promo about the Genius on Saturday Night Main Event, then his promos as a heel Hollywood were just amazing to me. Hogan was one man that knew how to work a stick. In ring he's got his own style that I can appreciate, filled a lot of arenas with it and had people going nuts in so many matches.

"The Macho Man" Randy Savage:
                            In Ring Ability: 10

One of the greatest pro wrestlers that ever lived, across the board. I eat up everything Savage does, my favorite era of his career was when he was wearing the cowboy hat as a babyface good guy circa 1991-1992.

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper:

Andre the Giant:

The Ultimate Warrior:
                            Promo: 9

Comment

Originally posted by The Icon View Post

Oh wow. I don't remember this either. Definitely would have been into it had I known. Other PWI mags would do version of this from time to time though. Maybe it got over and they decided to base an entire magazine on the concept?

On NWA wrestlers and looks...

I got a friend into wrestling in the early 2000s. He didn't grow up as a wrestling fan. He didn't even convert during the Attitude Era. But somehow No Mercy 2001 did the trick. He was really into it for a few years. Became a big fan of Undertaker, Raven & TNA. Of course I also tried getting him into classic wrestling. This time around he took to the old school WWF he had spent his life dismissing right away (remember him being a big Bret Hart fan, for example). Didn't like ECW because "it looked small time" and "the fans chant too much." Thought Raven & Richards vs. Pitbulls was "stupid." (though he did love the Funk/Sabu Barbed Wire Match, and Funk & Sabu in general).

Anyway, the point of this rant is one of his big criticisms of NWA was too many wrestlers wore the same outfit. He's right you know. Bland trunks with the wrestler's initials in cursive was the standard NWA attire. He used to call it "the era before pants." I'd bring a tape over and he'd be like "please don't let it be that boring era before pants again." So many NWA wrestlers wore those same basic trunks with initials. It was stupid. Attire is one of the things that helps a wrestler stand out. Very few in NWA took advantage of this.

Comment

Originally posted by The Icon View Post

Oh wow. I don't remember this either. Definitely would have been into it had I known. Other PWI mags would do version of this from time to time though. Maybe it got over and they decided to base an entire magazine on the concept?

On NWA wrestlers and looks...

I got a friend into wrestling in the early 2000s. He didn't grow up as a wrestling fan. He didn't even convert during the Attitude Era. But somehow No Mercy 2001 did the trick. He was really into it for a few years. Became a big fan of Undertaker, Raven & TNA. Of course I also tried getting him into classic wrestling. This time around he took to the old school WWF he had spent his life dismissing right away (remember him being a big Bret Hart fan, for example). Didn't like ECW because "it looked small time" and "the fans chant too much." Thought Raven & Richards vs. Pitbulls was "stupid." (though he did love the Funk/Sabu Barbed Wire Match, and Funk & Sabu in general).

Anyway, the point of this rant is one of his big criticisms of NWA was too many wrestlers wore the same outfit. He's right you know. Bland trunks with the wrestler's initials in cursive was the standard NWA attire. He used to call it "the era before pants." I'd bring a tape over and he'd be like "please don't let it be that boring era before pants again." So many NWA wrestlers wore those same basic trunks with initials. It was stupid. Attire is one of the things that helps a wrestler stand out. Very few in NWA took advantage of this.

Comment

Working...
                                X