Greatest Wrestlers in WCW History Countdown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Next Countdown?

I'd take part in this. Literally just making a list 50-1? Anything special or no?

Comment

I'd take part in this. Literally just making a list 50-1? Anything special or no?

Comment

I'll more than likely be in again - it will be easier for me than ECW as well.

Comment

I'll more than likely be in again - it will be easier for me than ECW as well.

Comment

WCW is my first wrestling love. I was a WCW kid from about 6 years old until their bitter end. While I began to channel switch between the two shows in 1999 and more so in 2000-01, WCW was always my first and foremost love. As I grew older, I watched a lot of the earlier shows that I missed and all in all, I love their brand of wrestling. There was a couple of dark points (1995 and 2000) but WCW overall provided a great contrast to Vince's circus. A great mix of nostalgia for me to recapture here.

All credit goes to surrender!

Comment

WCW is my first wrestling love. I was a WCW kid from about 6 years old until their bitter end. While I began to channel switch between the two shows in 1999 and more so in 2000-01, WCW was always my first and foremost love. As I grew older, I watched a lot of the earlier shows that I missed and all in all, I love their brand of wrestling. There was a couple of dark points (1995 and 2000) but WCW overall provided a great contrast to Vince's circus. A great mix of nostalgia for me to recapture here.

All credit goes to surrender!

Comment

My list starts to get nasty once you get into the mid 40's, I'm going to need some time with this.

Comment

My list starts to get nasty once you get into the mid 40's, I'm going to need some time with this.

Comment

Originally posted by WrestlingRecap View Post
                    Nope. Just 1 through 50 with #1 being the best and #50 being the 'worst.' You can also include tag teams and wrestlers can be voted on more than once. For example, you can put Mark Starr on your ballot as a singles wrestler and Men At Work as a tag team if you were so inclined.

There are really no rules other than all wrestlers must have wrestled a WCW match between October 11, 1988-March 26, 2001. "Greatest" is subjective. I base it on kayfabe success and importance until maybe the last few spots when I tend to reward personal favorites over wrestlers who may have been a teeny tiny bit more successful but you can vote however you want.

I'm also running a Supplemental Countdown for non-wrestlers which includes managers, commentators, ring announcers, referees, valets, Nitro Girls, commissioners, etc. That one only is 1-10.

Tentative deadline will be May 27 to honor the anniversary of Scott Hall's game-changing return. This gives everybody two weeks and of course I'll push it back if asked.

So I'm back at work on my list. Some tough choices had to be made.

Will The Texicans ride again?
                    Will The Gambler finally hit the jackpot?
                    Will I get all aboard the Ice Train express?
                    Will my list be taken to the State of Euphoria?
                    Might we get a rare Minotaur sighting?
                    Could it be Van Hammertime?
                    Obviously no Sharks or Natural Disasters will be cracking my list but could I find room for a 500 pound man?

Spoiler

Here comes MONGO?

Spoiler

Originally posted by The Icon View Post
                    40s? My struggles begin at #12 I have about 40 definites and then there are at least 20 guys left to fill 10 spots. This is much tougher than the ECW list imo.

At least I knocked my Supplemental List out quickly. That one was easy.

For people struggling, here's a (pretty crappy) list WWE.com put out a few years ago that might help.
                    http://www.wwe.com/classics/wcw/50-greatest-wcw-stars
                    Last edited by Baker; 05-13-2017, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WrestlingRecap View Post
                      Nope. Just 1 through 50 with #1 being the best and #50 being the 'worst.' You can also include tag teams and wrestlers can be voted on more than once. For example, you can put Mark Starr on your ballot as a singles wrestler and Men At Work as a tag team if you were so inclined.

There are really no rules other than all wrestlers must have wrestled a WCW match between October 11, 1988-March 26, 2001. "Greatest" is subjective. I base it on kayfabe success and importance until maybe the last few spots when I tend to reward personal favorites over wrestlers who may have been a teeny tiny bit more successful but you can vote however you want.

I'm also running a Supplemental Countdown for non-wrestlers which includes managers, commentators, ring announcers, referees, valets, Nitro Girls, commissioners, etc. That one only is 1-10.

Tentative deadline will be May 27 to honor the anniversary of Scott Hall's game-changing return. This gives everybody two weeks and of course I'll push it back if asked.

So I'm back at work on my list. Some tough choices had to be made.

Will The Texicans ride again?
                      Will The Gambler finally hit the jackpot?
                      Will I get all aboard the Ice Train express?
                      Will my list be taken to the State of Euphoria?
                      Might we get a rare Minotaur sighting?
                      Could it be Van Hammertime?
                      Obviously no Sharks or Natural Disasters will be cracking my list but could I find room for a 500 pound man?

Spoiler

Here comes MONGO?

Spoiler

Originally posted by The Icon View Post
                      40s? My struggles begin at #12 I have about 40 definites and then there are at least 20 guys left to fill 10 spots. This is much tougher than the ECW list imo.

At least I knocked my Supplemental List out quickly. That one was easy.

For people struggling, here's a (pretty crappy) list WWE.com put out a few years ago that might help.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                        No thanks to the PW Search function, I found the thread where we discussed that list, mainly so I could just copy and paste my old Top 50 into this countdown:

http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=124947

Some good discussion there, and a few of the oversights pointed out. Unfortunately, WWE's list was "Greatest Stars", which is a little different than "Greatest Wrestler", as far as I'm concerned, so I have to do a little bit of work for this countdown (also no longer a need to separate the Road Warriors).

$

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                          No thanks to the PW Search function, I found the thread where we discussed that list, mainly so I could just copy and paste my old Top 50 into this countdown:

Some good discussion there, and a few of the oversights pointed out. Unfortunately, WWE's list was "Greatest Stars", which is a little different than "Greatest Wrestler", as far as I'm concerned, so I have to do a little bit of work for this countdown (also no longer a need to separate the Road Warriors).

$

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgore View Post

Nice find. I'm conspicuously absent in that thread and have no recollection of it. Pretty sure that was when my laptop was out of commission for a month and I had to post from the library due to having an antiquated cellphone (finally upgraded to join the 21st Century with my first iPhone in March ) whose internet connection was PW search function levels of crap.

I figure now is a good time to bring some discussion over to this countdown.....

Liger- Is a name I've been wrestling with. Had him tentatively penciled into the Steve Austin in ECW #50 spot. Lots of similarities there. Both guys made the most of their few appearances. But there's just so many worthy candidates here. I'm probably going to be forced to leave Liger off

Road Warriors- Thinking they crack my Top 20. Barely. Here's the thing. Starting in October '88 costs the Roadies big time. You lose the Horsemen feud. You lose the legendary first War Games. You lose the Scaffold Match with the Midnight Express (yeah, it sucked but it was also a really big deal). If we go back to the first Starrcade, Road Warriors have a decent shot at cracking the Top 10. Without it they're only the 3rd or even 4th biggest team in WCW history.

Piper & Syxx were on my initial list of 60 something. Both were early cuts. Now I'm forced to rethink. Am I an idiot? Probably. Am I brainwashed by WWF? Not in this case. I don't even remember seeing this list before yesterday.

Hennig & Bret were both borderlines candidates I was probably going to leave off before reading Kilgore's defense. Again, now I'm forced to reevaluate.

*Maybe I'm too hung up on "WWF Guys" and "WCW Guys." When I think "WCW" I think of guys like Bobby Eaton (another borderline candidate as a solo, though the Midnight Express are definites), not the likes of Piper, Syxx, Bret & Hennig.

Tully wouldn't make a Top 1000. He literally only wrestled one match for WCW- a Legends Match vs. Funk at the first Slamboree. All his greatness is NWA.

Rock & Roll Express & Nikita Koloff are similar to Tully, though they did at least have proper WCW runs. Just not as good as their pre-WCW prime. Didn't have either on my list of 60 something, though I wouldn't scoff if somebody listed Nikita.

I love Steve Williams but can't imagine him making the final cut either. Same goes for the awesome Varsity Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgore View Post

Nice find. I'm conspicuously absent in that thread and have no recollection of it. Pretty sure that was when my laptop was out of commission for a month and I had to post from the library due to having an antiquated cellphone (finally upgraded to join the 21st Century with my first iPhone in March ) whose internet connection was PW search function levels of crap.

I figure now is a good time to bring some discussion over to this countdown.....

Liger- Is a name I've been wrestling with. Had him tentatively penciled into the Steve Austin in ECW #50 spot. Lots of similarities there. Both guys made the most of their few appearances. But there's just so many worthy candidates here. I'm probably going to be forced to leave Liger off

Road Warriors- Thinking they crack my Top 20. Barely. Here's the thing. Starting in October '88 costs the Roadies big time. You lose the Horsemen feud. You lose the legendary first War Games. You lose the Scaffold Match with the Midnight Express (yeah, it sucked but it was also a really big deal). If we go back to the first Starrcade, Road Warriors have a decent shot at cracking the Top 10. Without it they're only the 3rd or even 4th biggest team in WCW history.

Piper & Syxx were on my initial list of 60 something. Both were early cuts. Now I'm forced to rethink. Am I an idiot? Probably. Am I brainwashed by WWF? Not in this case. I don't even remember seeing this list before yesterday.

Hennig & Bret were both borderlines candidates I was probably going to leave off before reading Kilgore's defense. Again, now I'm forced to reevaluate.

*Maybe I'm too hung up on "WWF Guys" and "WCW Guys." When I think "WCW" I think of guys like Bobby Eaton (another borderline candidate as a solo, though the Midnight Express are definites), not the likes of Piper, Syxx, Bret & Hennig.

Tully wouldn't make a Top 1000. He literally only wrestled one match for WCW- a Legends Match vs. Funk at the first Slamboree. All his greatness is NWA.

Rock & Roll Express & Nikita Koloff are similar to Tully, though they did at least have proper WCW runs. Just not as good as their pre-WCW prime. Didn't have either on my list of 60 something, though I wouldn't scoff if somebody listed Nikita.

I love Steve Williams but can't imagine him making the final cut either. Same goes for the awesome Varsity Club.

Comment

A lot of my previous defenses was based on star power, which I think matters much less now. Piper is one of the biggest stars ever, so I repped him hard. I don't think he'll rank near as high in a greatest WCW Wrestler list, although he did have some big wins, like putting Hogan to fucking sleep at Starrcade. Somebody like Booker T., who I penalized for lack of starpower last time around will be rising as a "WCW Wrestler" holding pretty much every title and being over in that universe. I have many tweaks along those lines.

Farewell to Tully. I must have had WCW starting in 1987 in my mind a few years back. Whoops.

Nikita was still in the greatest War Games Match ever in 1992.

$

Comment

Working...
                                X