ECW Supplemental Countdown Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECW Supplemental Countdown Results

Turnout was smaller for this one which was to be expected. Thanks to [MENTION=498]PI[/MENTION] [MENTION=107979]The Icon[/MENTION] [MENTION=21289]Big Pete[/MENTION] [MENTION=103897]ShinobiMusashi[/MENTION] & [MENTION=105216]Kilgore[/MENTION] for voting. Add me in and that makes 6 ballots.

19 entries received votes. Included among them were three fans and even an inanimate object

Thankfully Judge Jeff Jones, Jason, Lance Wright, Lou E. Dangerously (though Sign Guy Dudley would have been acceptable), Damian Kane and all those early commentators who weren't Joey Styles received no votes. My faith in PW has been restored.

Going to burn through this one quick. #7-#18 will be up in a minute and I'm going to finish it off tomorrow.

Re: ECW Supplemental Countdown Results

7. Woman- 5 Votes-16 Points
    8. Cyrus- 4 Votes-14 Points
    9. Tod Gordon- 3 Votes-11 Points
    10. Rick Rude- 2 Votes- 8 Points

11. Dawn Marie- 1 Vote-6 Points
    12. Sinister Minister- 1 Vote-5 Points
    13. Hat Guy- 2 Votes-4 Points
    14. Sign Guy (Fan)- 1 Votes-3 Points
    15. Tommy Rich- 1 Vote-2 Points
    16. Peaches- 1 Vote-1 Point
    16. Sherri- 1 Vote-1 Point
    16. Faith No More Guy- 1 Vote-1 Point
    16. Head- 1 Vote-1 Point

Comment

7. Woman- 5 Votes-16 Points
      8. Cyrus- 4 Votes-14 Points
      9. Tod Gordon- 3 Votes-11 Points
      10. Rick Rude- 2 Votes- 8 Points

11. Dawn Marie- 1 Vote-6 Points
      12. Sinister Minister- 1 Vote-5 Points
      13. Hat Guy- 2 Votes-4 Points
      14. Sign Guy (Fan)- 1 Votes-3 Points
      15. Tommy Rich- 1 Vote-2 Points
      16. Peaches- 1 Vote-1 Point
      16. Sherri- 1 Vote-1 Point
      16. Faith No More Guy- 1 Vote-1 Point
      16. Head- 1 Vote-1 Point

Comment

Tod Gordon- #5 on my list and I expected him to fare better. Think about this for a second. ECW fans were extremely anti-establishment. You'd think they'd be predisposed to booing the hell out of any authority figure. Yet they loved their babyface commissioner Tod Gordon. Gordon played his role well and made the most of his sporadic appearances. His interactions with Fonzie were always tons of fun. Shame on PW for underrating The Commish. Tod Is God.

Cyrus- #8 on my list. Solid talker who did double duty as a heel commentator and a heel authority figure. Got good heat. I do wish he would have been more of a heel manager leading a stable but male managers were quickly going out of style by the time Cyrus came along. Too bad.

Hat Guy- Had him at #9. The most famous wrestling fan ever imo and the definitive ECW fan. Great heckler who tended to cheer the babyfaces and boo the heels as it should be. He really felt like part of the show...a character in his own right....right down to having his own distinctive look.

Woman- I needed a #10. Shin & Kilgore had been pimpi....hyping Woman for years. I trust their judgment. Woman it is.

Comment

Tod Gordon- #5 on my list and I expected him to fare better. Think about this for a second. ECW fans were extremely anti-establishment. You'd think they'd be predisposed to booing the hell out of any authority figure. Yet they loved their babyface commissioner Tod Gordon. Gordon played his role well and made the most of his sporadic appearances. His interactions with Fonzie were always tons of fun. Shame on PW for underrating The Commish. Tod Is God.

Cyrus- #8 on my list. Solid talker who did double duty as a heel commentator and a heel authority figure. Got good heat. I do wish he would have been more of a heel manager leading a stable but male managers were quickly going out of style by the time Cyrus came along. Too bad.

Hat Guy- Had him at #9. The most famous wrestling fan ever imo and the definitive ECW fan. Great heckler who tended to cheer the babyfaces and boo the heels as it should be. He really felt like part of the show...a character in his own right....right down to having his own distinctive look.

Woman- I needed a #10. Shin & Kilgore had been pimpi....hyping Woman for years. I trust their judgment. Woman it is.

Comment

Head: I didn't even think to rank Head, but I'm glad someone did. In ECW land, Head was like Stone Cold over.

Faith No More Guy: My personal favorite of the ECW superfans. When you watch back, Faith No More Guy fell in love with RVD before everybody in the ECW arena. A keen eye for talent behind those dark glasses.

Sherri: I figured she'd be forgotten, so I made sure to sneak her on my list at #10. Sherri did her usual dependable work with Shane Douglas in 1994 as The Franchise was coming into his own, and her presence helped make him feel like a bigger deal. The split, which included Shane piledriving Sherri, really set the tone for women in ECW, who were treated as equals, when it came to their comeuppance.

Peaches: [Steve Corino]Speaking of douchebags.[/Steve Corino] Peaches was important in the very early days of ECW and although not one of my favorites, was certainly useful during the Sandman-Raven feud during ECW's heydey.

Tommy Rich: He was no JT Smith.

Sign Guy (Fan): Of all the ECW superfans, the only one that ECW felt was relevant enough to take a shot at.

Hat Guy: I love Hat Guy. There should be fan fiction of his life, the more ridiculous, the better, that ends with him walking into the ECW Arena for the first time. What a fucking legend.

Sinister Minister: I wasn't the biggest Sinister Minister fan. His whole persona felt painfully outdated, although by the time the Unholy Alliance came along, it started to feel like a good parody.

Dawn Marie: My final cut, which ended up being dangerous with only one vote. I thought she was safer. Anyway, I loved Dawn Marie as the ditzy, eager to please, Lance Storm valet, who couldn't quite ever get his full attention. While there are great female wrestlers, Dawn Marie was the greatest cat fight wrestler of all time. Sorry, Francine.

Rick Rude: I had Rick Rude in my Top 5. Love the dude. His first appearances as a "Luchador who totally isn't Rick Rude" is a classic wrestling trope of the badly disguised mystery man, and having not seen Rude for a few years (it felt like ten), it was all the more better. Then as Shane Douglas annoyer/Shane Douglas, I don't know, motivator, like he was trying to make him better, was some more classic Rude. He really shined in commentary with Joey, though. Joey is a solo act, I never liked when they teamed him with people, but Rude was my favorite.

Spoiler

Tod Gordon: The amount of love Tod Gordon got from the local crowd is probably something you'll never see again. It's not that Tod was so good on TV, it was the reality of him being a local guy, that was putting himself at financial risk to bring this insane wrestling to fellow Philly fanatics, where he could kind of do no wrong. It was like the way you appreciate a good neighbor, or something. Tod certainly was God. And the Fonzie feud was beautiful.

Cyrus: I'm not a Cyrus guy.

Woman: She was great in ECW. In the American Hardcore Theatre, Shin really gave her some tremendous write ups as she managed Sandman to the ECW title in a way where it was almost like she was the champion. By far, the best run of her career. I wish she stayed to see what would have been next for her, and then maybe she never works with Benoit in WCW.

Spoiler

$

Comment

Head: I didn't even think to rank Head, but I'm glad someone did. In ECW land, Head was like Stone Cold over.

Faith No More Guy: My personal favorite of the ECW superfans. When you watch back, Faith No More Guy fell in love with RVD before everybody in the ECW arena. A keen eye for talent behind those dark glasses.

Sherri: I figured she'd be forgotten, so I made sure to sneak her on my list at #10. Sherri did her usual dependable work with Shane Douglas in 1994 as The Franchise was coming into his own, and her presence helped make him feel like a bigger deal. The split, which included Shane piledriving Sherri, really set the tone for women in ECW, who were treated as equals, when it came to their comeuppance.

Peaches: [Steve Corino]Speaking of douchebags.[/Steve Corino] Peaches was important in the very early days of ECW and although not one of my favorites, was certainly useful during the Sandman-Raven feud during ECW's heydey.

Tommy Rich: He was no JT Smith.

Sign Guy (Fan): Of all the ECW superfans, the only one that ECW felt was relevant enough to take a shot at.

Hat Guy: I love Hat Guy. There should be fan fiction of his life, the more ridiculous, the better, that ends with him walking into the ECW Arena for the first time. What a fucking legend.

Sinister Minister: I wasn't the biggest Sinister Minister fan. His whole persona felt painfully outdated, although by the time the Unholy Alliance came along, it started to feel like a good parody.

Dawn Marie: My final cut, which ended up being dangerous with only one vote. I thought she was safer. Anyway, I loved Dawn Marie as the ditzy, eager to please, Lance Storm valet, who couldn't quite ever get his full attention. While there are great female wrestlers, Dawn Marie was the greatest cat fight wrestler of all time. Sorry, Francine.

Rick Rude: I had Rick Rude in my Top 5. Love the dude. His first appearances as a "Luchador who totally isn't Rick Rude" is a classic wrestling trope of the badly disguised mystery man, and having not seen Rude for a few years (it felt like ten), it was all the more better. Then as Shane Douglas annoyer/Shane Douglas, I don't know, motivator, like he was trying to make him better, was some more classic Rude. He really shined in commentary with Joey, though. Joey is a solo act, I never liked when they teamed him with people, but Rude was my favorite.

Spoiler

Tod Gordon: The amount of love Tod Gordon got from the local crowd is probably something you'll never see again. It's not that Tod was so good on TV, it was the reality of him being a local guy, that was putting himself at financial risk to bring this insane wrestling to fellow Philly fanatics, where he could kind of do no wrong. It was like the way you appreciate a good neighbor, or something. Tod certainly was God. And the Fonzie feud was beautiful.

Cyrus: I'm not a Cyrus guy.

Woman: She was great in ECW. In the American Hardcore Theatre, Shin really gave her some tremendous write ups as she managed Sandman to the ECW title in a way where it was almost like she was the champion. By far, the best run of her career. I wish she stayed to see what would have been next for her, and then maybe she never works with Benoit in WCW.

Spoiler

$

Comment

Head- I chuckled when I saw the ballot with Head's name on it. I'm not against Head getting a 10th place vote. Head was awfully over.

Faith No More Guy- I'd rank Hat Guy & Sign Guy over him. They stood out from the beginning whereas, like Kerry Collins Guy, I never really noticed FNM Guy until he was pointed out to me. Now I play "find FNM Guy" whenever I'm watching old shows. Dude was everywhere.

Sherri- Not too familiar with her ECW run but Sherri has really grown on me since I started posting here and Sherri/Douglas seems like a good pairing on paper.

Peaches- I remember her mainly for hooking up with Raven in a great angle. Raven/Sandman was such an awesome feud. Too bad Tyler didn't get a vote.

Tommy Rich- Was never a fan. He seemed old when I was young. In reality he was only like 30. Some folks age poorly.

Sign Guy (fan)- A trendsetter. Fans brought signs to wrestling events before ECW but they were few and far between. And I have a hunch most signs were planted by promoters. Sign Guy took sign making to an art form. The world followed. What he popularized became commonplace during the Monday Night Wars. Bringing a sign to a wrestling show became almost mandatory.
                Sign Guy must have really pissed somebody off for Heyman to make a character based on him. And the Dudleys were brutal to him at Wrestlepalooza 97 (or was it Born To Be Wired?). I mean, just savage. They hurled non-stop verbal abuse at the poor guy for like five minutes straight. He looked like he was on the verge of tears. Did he ever come back to The Arena after that? I don't remember seeing him. Now I regret leaving him off my list.

Sinister Minister- Wasn't a fan. Whether he was playing it straight or doing a parody, the gimmick never got over with me. Even his name is a bit too cartoon supervillainy for my liking. For what it's worth I didn't like him in TNA either. Just not my cup of tea.

Dawn Marie- Considered her just because I needed a 10th until I realized she never did anything particularly memorable. Tammy Lynn Bytch and "Beulah" were just stupid. Did she even parody those better, more popular performers? If so, I don't remember it. Then again, I never got the weekly tv either. I just viewed her as a woman who glommed off more popular people, and didn't even do that particularly well. It would be like a wrestler called Lazer Lemone who did no signature Scott Hall stuff.

Rick Rude- I'm a big fan of the Barely Legal swerve. Wasn't crazy about his commentary, though that time he got bleeped for like 30 seconds straight was pretty amusing.

Comment

Head- I chuckled when I saw the ballot with Head's name on it. I'm not against Head getting a 10th place vote. Head was awfully over.

Faith No More Guy- I'd rank Hat Guy & Sign Guy over him. They stood out from the beginning whereas, like Kerry Collins Guy, I never really noticed FNM Guy until he was pointed out to me. Now I play "find FNM Guy" whenever I'm watching old shows. Dude was everywhere.

Sherri- Not too familiar with her ECW run but Sherri has really grown on me since I started posting here and Sherri/Douglas seems like a good pairing on paper.

Peaches- I remember her mainly for hooking up with Raven in a great angle. Raven/Sandman was such an awesome feud. Too bad Tyler didn't get a vote.

Tommy Rich- Was never a fan. He seemed old when I was young. In reality he was only like 30. Some folks age poorly.

Sign Guy (fan)- A trendsetter. Fans brought signs to wrestling events before ECW but they were few and far between. And I have a hunch most signs were planted by promoters. Sign Guy took sign making to an art form. The world followed. What he popularized became commonplace during the Monday Night Wars. Bringing a sign to a wrestling show became almost mandatory.
                  Sign Guy must have really pissed somebody off for Heyman to make a character based on him. And the Dudleys were brutal to him at Wrestlepalooza 97 (or was it Born To Be Wired?). I mean, just savage. They hurled non-stop verbal abuse at the poor guy for like five minutes straight. He looked like he was on the verge of tears. Did he ever come back to The Arena after that? I don't remember seeing him. Now I regret leaving him off my list.

Sinister Minister- Wasn't a fan. Whether he was playing it straight or doing a parody, the gimmick never got over with me. Even his name is a bit too cartoon supervillainy for my liking. For what it's worth I didn't like him in TNA either. Just not my cup of tea.

Dawn Marie- Considered her just because I needed a 10th until I realized she never did anything particularly memorable. Tammy Lynn Bytch and "Beulah" were just stupid. Did she even parody those better, more popular performers? If so, I don't remember it. Then again, I never got the weekly tv either. I just viewed her as a woman who glommed off more popular people, and didn't even do that particularly well. It would be like a wrestler called Lazer Lemone who did no signature Scott Hall stuff.

Rick Rude- I'm a big fan of the Barely Legal swerve. Wasn't crazy about his commentary, though that time he got bleeped for like 30 seconds straight was pretty amusing.

Comment

Well, publicly Sign Guy pissed off Brian Pillman at Cyberslam for his "Pillman Don't Work Me" sign but I'm guessing it was Raven since most of the Dudleys were his creation. I had him on my list at number 8 since he did set the trend of "smarky" signs. I actually thought he was gone before they went to PPV but I could be wrong.

Hat Guy- Easily the most noticeably passionate fan at The Arena. I think at the end of the day he just wanted either heel or face to earn his keep. They would hear about it from the man in the straw hat if they didn't. He was also prominent at early to mid 90's WCW shows at the Civic Center, he popped big time for Terry Funk at Slamboree '94. He also got to number 9 on my list.

Faith No More Guy- The Waldo of the superfan world he seemed like he would be a hoot to go to a show with. I disclosed to Baker that on another forum I found out he drove in from Long Island to see all of those shows, that's commitment. He just seemed to like to have a good time with his crew while at times being ahead of the game with favorites like RVD as Kilgore mentioned. Good for number 10 on my list.

Woman- Expertly guided Sandman to the ECW title while making Tommy Dreamer a made man in the process. She was brilliant in her role and took what Sherri did further in making herself an equal to all of the classic male managers from the big two. Number 5 on my list.

Cyrus- I had him on my original list then found out fans could be voted in who I found much more entertaining than he was.

Tod Gordon- He was great when he was on TV but he didn't seem to be in front of the camera that much to warrant a ranking.

Rick Rude- I was so busy worrying about which fans to include that Rude became an oversight. Outstanding in both of his roles as a mentor to Shane Douglas and on color with Joey Styles.

Dawn Marie- I'm with Baker on this one, she just leeched off of more popular persona's and was a dime a dozen airhead when she managed Lance Storm.

Sinister Minister- Way more entertaining in the shoots I've seen than anything he did in ECW (he and Sandman playing Jeopardy in the hotel room?) Along with Cyrus one of my least favorite aspects of the TNN era.

Peaches- She was great especially after Sandman got blinded by Tommy Dreamer when they would interview her at home. She was as vital as Sandman at selling that angle which was a big deal in the early days. This would also bring her into the Raven/Tyler angle two years later, great role player in some of the more personal ECW feuds.

Sherri- I totally forgot about her run in ECW, I'll need to revisit it.

Tommy Rich- I think I already said he was my least favorite Pisan, if not I'm saying it here. Over the hill and too far into the drugs to do anything effective.

Head- only in ECW....
                    Last edited by The Icon; 05-02-2017, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Well, publicly Sign Guy pissed off Brian Pillman at Cyberslam for his "Pillman Don't Work Me" sign but I'm guessing it was Raven since most of the Dudleys were his creation. I had him on my list at number 8 since he did set the trend of "smarky" signs. I actually thought he was gone before they went to PPV but I could be wrong.

Hat Guy- Easily the most noticeably passionate fan at The Arena. I think at the end of the day he just wanted either heel or face to earn his keep. They would hear about it from the man in the straw hat if they didn't. He was also prominent at early to mid 90's WCW shows at the Civic Center, he popped big time for Terry Funk at Slamboree '94. He also got to number 9 on my list.

Faith No More Guy- The Waldo of the superfan world he seemed like he would be a hoot to go to a show with. I disclosed to Baker that on another forum I found out he drove in from Long Island to see all of those shows, that's commitment. He just seemed to like to have a good time with his crew while at times being ahead of the game with favorites like RVD as Kilgore mentioned. Good for number 10 on my list.

Woman- Expertly guided Sandman to the ECW title while making Tommy Dreamer a made man in the process. She was brilliant in her role and took what Sherri did further in making herself an equal to all of the classic male managers from the big two. Number 5 on my list.

Cyrus- I had him on my original list then found out fans could be voted in who I found much more entertaining than he was.

Tod Gordon- He was great when he was on TV but he didn't seem to be in front of the camera that much to warrant a ranking.

Rick Rude- I was so busy worrying about which fans to include that Rude became an oversight. Outstanding in both of his roles as a mentor to Shane Douglas and on color with Joey Styles.

Dawn Marie- I'm with Baker on this one, she just leeched off of more popular persona's and was a dime a dozen airhead when she managed Lance Storm.

Sinister Minister- Way more entertaining in the shoots I've seen than anything he did in ECW (he and Sandman playing Jeopardy in the hotel room?) Along with Cyrus one of my least favorite aspects of the TNN era.

Peaches- She was great especially after Sandman got blinded by Tommy Dreamer when they would interview her at home. She was as vital as Sandman at selling that angle which was a big deal in the early days. This would also bring her into the Raven/Tyler angle two years later, great role player in some of the more personal ECW feuds.

Sherri- I totally forgot about her run in ECW, I'll need to revisit it.

Tommy Rich- I think I already said he was my least favorite Pisan, if not I'm saying it here. Over the hill and too far into the drugs to do anything effective.

Head- only in ECW....

Comment

*PW has spoken and the top five was definitive. Huge gap between the tie at #5 and #7. These six individuals are clearly the cream of the ECW non-wrestler crop.

1. Paul Heyman- 6 Votes-54 Points
                        2. Joey Styles- 6 Votes-50 Points
                        3. Joel Gertner- 6 Votes-42 Points
                        4. Bill Alfonso- 6 Votes-40 Points
                        5. Beulah- 6 Votes-36 Points
                        5. Francine- 6 Votes-36 Points

Comment

*PW has spoken and the top five was definitive. Huge gap between the tie at #5 and #7. These six individuals are clearly the cream of the ECW non-wrestler crop.

1. Paul Heyman- 6 Votes-54 Points
                          2. Joey Styles- 6 Votes-50 Points
                          3. Joel Gertner- 6 Votes-42 Points
                          4. Bill Alfonso- 6 Votes-40 Points
                          5. Beulah- 6 Votes-36 Points
                          5. Francine- 6 Votes-36 Points

Comment

I had Paul Heyman at #1 but that would probably change if I did it again just because most of his success came behind the scenes. It's not like Paul E. Dangerously's on screen run managing Sabu or whatever was all that memorable.
                            Random: Forgot to mention it when discussing Rude yesterday but I realized Heyman was loyal to the guys he had previously managed. Tommy Rich (who Heyman managed in Memphis) and everybody in the Dangerous Alliance made at least one ECW appearance except for my man Larry Legend. And that's too bad. Larry Zbyszko going off on the mutant spudheads of Philadelphia would have been tremendous. ECW could have used more Austin Idol as well.

I had Joey Styles at #2 and would likely bump him up to #1 if I could do it over. He was such an important factor as the voice of ECW. I just can't imagine ECW with anybody other than Joey calling the action. Oh my god!

I had Fonzie at #3. Yeah, his last 3+ years in the company consisted of little more than feeding RVD chairs but his first two years were gold- first as a heel authority getting nuclear heat and then as Taz's manager. Early Fonzie ruled.

Joel Gertner was my #4. Loved him as the Dudleys annoying mouthpiece. You just wanted to see this fat fuck with his stupid neckbrace get his ass kicked. Then he developed a knack for dirty limericks. Wasn't crazy about his commentary though. Like Kilgore, I prefer Joey calling the action solo. That was his thing. But even latter day Gertner was mega over with the ECW fanbase. He was also a good straight ring announcer in the company's earlier days breaking out some quality Spanish when the situation warranted it.

Beulah was my #6. She played a big role in the legendary Raven/Dreamer feud and the Dudleys putting Beulah out of action got them even more heat. Plus there was that super fun Fonzie match. Beulah could take a beating and even busted out the occasional move. Definitely an important part of the ECW story.

I had Francine at #7. She had a sneaky good evolution from Stevie's shy fan to Pitbulls' Beastmaster to bitchy head cheerleader accompanying "The Franchise." Come to think of it, her progression was not unlike that of Woman in late 80s NWA. The Dreamer pairing didn't do much for me. She was a better fit as a heel. But she found her footing again with Credible in the dying days of ECW.

Comment

I had Paul Heyman at #1 but that would probably change if I did it again just because most of his success came behind the scenes. It's not like Paul E. Dangerously's on screen run managing Sabu or whatever was all that memorable.
                              Random: Forgot to mention it when discussing Rude yesterday but I realized Heyman was loyal to the guys he had previously managed. Tommy Rich (who Heyman managed in Memphis) and everybody in the Dangerous Alliance made at least one ECW appearance except for my man Larry Legend. And that's too bad. Larry Zbyszko going off on the mutant spudheads of Philadelphia would have been tremendous. ECW could have used more Austin Idol as well.

I had Joey Styles at #2 and would likely bump him up to #1 if I could do it over. He was such an important factor as the voice of ECW. I just can't imagine ECW with anybody other than Joey calling the action. Oh my god!

I had Fonzie at #3. Yeah, his last 3+ years in the company consisted of little more than feeding RVD chairs but his first two years were gold- first as a heel authority getting nuclear heat and then as Taz's manager. Early Fonzie ruled.

Joel Gertner was my #4. Loved him as the Dudleys annoying mouthpiece. You just wanted to see this fat fuck with his stupid neckbrace get his ass kicked. Then he developed a knack for dirty limericks. Wasn't crazy about his commentary though. Like Kilgore, I prefer Joey calling the action solo. That was his thing. But even latter day Gertner was mega over with the ECW fanbase. He was also a good straight ring announcer in the company's earlier days breaking out some quality Spanish when the situation warranted it.

Beulah was my #6. She played a big role in the legendary Raven/Dreamer feud and the Dudleys putting Beulah out of action got them even more heat. Plus there was that super fun Fonzie match. Beulah could take a beating and even busted out the occasional move. Definitely an important part of the ECW story.

I had Francine at #7. She had a sneaky good evolution from Stevie's shy fan to Pitbulls' Beastmaster to bitchy head cheerleader accompanying "The Franchise." Come to think of it, her progression was not unlike that of Woman in late 80s NWA. The Dreamer pairing didn't do much for me. She was a better fit as a heel. But she found her footing again with Credible in the dying days of ECW.

Comment

Working...
                              X