King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

Looking back at the push that King Mabel got in '95. Was it really THAT bad?

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2014/10/...it-that-awful/

Re: King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

I agree that Mabel was better as a face than a heel. While it's good to take risks and try to make new stars, it seemed more out of necessity than organic build. A push has to be believable for fans to buy in and some pushes happen w/o rhyme or reason.
    First set of inductees for Titans: Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Shawn Michaels, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and The Undertaker

Comment

I agree that Mabel was better as a face than a heel. While it's good to take risks and try to make new stars, it seemed more out of necessity than organic build. A push has to be believable for fans to buy in and some pushes happen w/o rhyme or reason.
      First set of inductees for Titans: Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Shawn Michaels, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and The Undertaker

Comment

I think Shawn Michaels and Bam Bam Bigelow should've remained heels for the WWF for the whole 1995, or WWF could've made Bret Hart, Razor Ramon and British Bulldog all heels to even up the star power between both the face pool and the heel pool of the WWF.

Comment

I think Shawn Michaels and Bam Bam Bigelow should've remained heels for the WWF for the whole 1995, or WWF could've made Bret Hart, Razor Ramon and British Bulldog all heels to even up the star power between both the face pool and the heel pool of the WWF.

Comment

I actually took a moderate 'wait and see' approach on Mabel winning KOTR and didn't immediately condemn it as the worst thing ever. Yeah, it came out of left field but I was willing to give it a chance. He just never really caught fire with me or anybody else and was just kind of there. I didn't like King Mabel but I didn't hate him either. Indifference may be the worst thing for a wrestler. It wasn't until a few years later that I realized how weird and failed the whole King Mabel thing was. Bret-Owen-MABEL-Austin-HHH-Shamrock...one of those names sticks out like a sore thumb. Mabel was also out of the company less than 7 months after his big KOTR win. Definitely a failure.

"The build-up for Mabel to be a main event guy may have contributed some backlash for his win at KOTR. He didnít have a slow build and was considered a main event guy within two months of a heel turn. He needed to beat credible names in the weeks after to be sold as such, and I donít recall that happening."

This was part of the problem. Wrestling fans had also moved on from the big man. I think Vince was trying to recreate something like Hogan vs. Bundy or Earthquake for a fanbase that was tired of that sort of thing.

Did like his spinning heel kick, belly to belly and that one(?) time he executed a big package though.

Comment

I actually took a moderate 'wait and see' approach on Mabel winning KOTR and didn't immediately condemn it as the worst thing ever. Yeah, it came out of left field but I was willing to give it a chance. He just never really caught fire with me or anybody else and was just kind of there. I didn't like King Mabel but I didn't hate him either. Indifference may be the worst thing for a wrestler. It wasn't until a few years later that I realized how weird and failed the whole King Mabel thing was. Bret-Owen-MABEL-Austin-HHH-Shamrock...one of those names sticks out like a sore thumb. Mabel was also out of the company less than 7 months after his big KOTR win. Definitely a failure.

"The build-up for Mabel to be a main event guy may have contributed some backlash for his win at KOTR. He didnít have a slow build and was considered a main event guy within two months of a heel turn. He needed to beat credible names in the weeks after to be sold as such, and I donít recall that happening."

This was part of the problem. Wrestling fans had also moved on from the big man. I think Vince was trying to recreate something like Hogan vs. Bundy or Earthquake for a fanbase that was tired of that sort of thing.

Did like his spinning heel kick, belly to belly and that one(?) time he executed a big package though.

Comment

Originally posted by WrestlingRecap View Post

He was par for the course as far as WWF monster heels went. The difference was that he was brought in as a tag team guy that transitioned into a singled wrestler. Most WWF monster heels are introduced, wrestle months of squash matches while looking invincible. Finally when it appears they are on the verge of destroying Hulkamania, retiring the Warrior, etc. they suffer their first loss in the big main event of a ppv. Its all down hill from there as they go back down the card until they are turned into a tag team guy with another former "invincible" monster. Bossman, Earthquake, Tugboat, Gonzales, etc. were all booked the same manner.

The King of the Ring was a relatively new concept so they made him King in order to build him up to a big ppv main event slot probably. However, someone changed their mind when they took a long look at Mable wearing the crown.

Comment

Originally posted by WrestlingRecap View Post

He was par for the course as far as WWF monster heels went. The difference was that he was brought in as a tag team guy that transitioned into a singled wrestler. Most WWF monster heels are introduced, wrestle months of squash matches while looking invincible. Finally when it appears they are on the verge of destroying Hulkamania, retiring the Warrior, etc. they suffer their first loss in the big main event of a ppv. Its all down hill from there as they go back down the card until they are turned into a tag team guy with another former "invincible" monster. Bossman, Earthquake, Tugboat, Gonzales, etc. were all booked the same manner.

The King of the Ring was a relatively new concept so they made him King in order to build him up to a big ppv main event slot probably. However, someone changed their mind when they took a long look at Mable wearing the crown.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                    PLEASE tell me that's a super heavyweight version of a small package. I must've missed this in real time and in throwback viewings. Would love to see it.*

(*Hoping it isn't something Ruthless Aggression Era weird during his run as Big Vis the Love Machine or whatever.)
                    : 04/02/11}:forever&always
                    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
                    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

Comment

PLEASE tell me that's a super heavyweight version of a small package. I must've missed this in real time and in throwback viewings. Would love to see it.*

(*Hoping it isn't something Ruthless Aggression Era weird during his run as Big Vis the Love Machine or whatever.)

Comment

Originally posted by PI View Post

At 7:16. This should have been Mabel's super finisher. Nobody can realistically kick out of this.

Comment

Originally posted by PI View Post

At 7:16. This should have been Mabel's super finisher. Nobody can realistically kick out of this.

Comment

HOLY SHIT! How was that NOT the finish!? Honestly, in a lot of ways, the big package is a much more terrifying move than any sort of splash. It's a slow, heavy, smothering death beneath rolls of sweaty, body-odored blubber. At least with a Banzai Drop or Bundy's or Earthquake's splashes, it's over in an instant... and even if they remain on you afterward, at least you're already dead. In kayfabe or as a shoot if I were a worker, the big package would be the finisher I'd look forward to possibly taking the least. Woof!

Comment

HOLY SHIT! How was that NOT the finish!? Honestly, in a lot of ways, the big package is a much more terrifying move than any sort of splash. It's a slow, heavy, smothering death beneath rolls of sweaty, body-odored blubber. At least with a Banzai Drop or Bundy's or Earthquake's splashes, it's over in an instant... and even if they remain on you afterward, at least you're already dead. In kayfabe or as a shoot if I were a worker, the big package would be the finisher I'd look forward to possibly taking the least. Woof!

Comment

Working...
                              X