ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

Somebody should have made a Heavy Metal Parking Lot(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDDnuhbDFeY&t=786s) style documentary about the ECW parking lot. Some shows I've seen I noticed whenever a brawl would go outside that there would be a mob of guys hanging out outside the ECW Arena while the show was going on, I'm guessing a lot of folks would get turned away at the door because they were sold out to max capacity, instead of going home these folks would just hang out outside the front door all night? Love the shots of the fans lined up waiting to get into the Arena they show in the Barbed Wire City documentary, so damn ghetto.

Comment

The Trinity- Eddie #18-Malenko #19- Benoit #20- I could throw these names around to defend ECW-NOT CRAPPY 'RASSLING-we have chain wrestlers. Benoit gets props for breaking Sabu's neck-I saw it EVERY week in the intro=brutal.

Guido #49- He was in great shape. Always got heat .

Jericho#32- Arena loved The Lion. I saw him several times-STIFF worker

Rey #26- What more to say? Great talent.

Al #30- I loved HEAD. It was so stupid. Drunk +stoned it was WAY better-you had to be in South Philly-smelling hotdogs+pretzels+toilets over-flowing to grasp this gimmick

Spike #27- Saw Bam Bam launch him. TOUGHEST guy in the building. Took every beating with a smile on his face.

Super #23- Saw him many times. Very precise +STIFF

Corino#34- bled buckets for a "dying" ECW-good on mic -loved his "old school " rap
      "Don't break the Kayfabe"

Comment

The Trinity- Eddie #18-Malenko #19- Benoit #20- I could throw these names around to defend ECW-NOT CRAPPY 'RASSLING-we have chain wrestlers. Benoit gets props for breaking Sabu's neck-I saw it EVERY week in the intro=brutal.

Guido #49- He was in great shape. Always got heat .

Jericho#32- Arena loved The Lion. I saw him several times-STIFF worker

Rey #26- What more to say? Great talent.

Al #30- I loved HEAD. It was so stupid. Drunk +stoned it was WAY better-you had to be in South Philly-smelling hotdogs+pretzels+toilets over-flowing to grasp this gimmick

Spike #27- Saw Bam Bam launch him. TOUGHEST guy in the building. Took every beating with a smile on his face.

Super #23- Saw him many times. Very precise +STIFF

Corino#34- bled buckets for a "dying" ECW-good on mic -loved his "old school " rap

Comment

Steve Corino- Unlike Kilgore it took awhile for Steve Corino to grow on me. Corino starting out with the anti-hardcore gimmick that was done so well by Cactus was a tough sell. It took another legend in Dusty Rhodes to get him over with me. He then had solid matches with Jerry Lynn and actually became a credible ECW champion. I even got a kick out of his Bret Hart cosplay schtick.

Super Crazy- He was another guy you just didn't see anywhere else. He was a more graceful version of Sabu especially with all of his moonsault variations. He had great matches with Tajiri and Kid Kash but unfortunately got lost in the shuffle once wrestling became a monopoly.

Spike Dudley- The Dudley's mascot who eventually had the Paul E staple "Mikey Whipwreck role" placed onto him. He was very good at making Bam Bam seem superhuman with the crowd toss while going through any table that was near by. His execution of the Acid Drop was always a tightrope act and he was great at making it seem like a real struggle of actually executing the move or getting launched into the ringsiders.

Lance Storm- Like Jericho I gravitated towards his lineage instantly and he didn't disappoint in the ring. He just was a dependable midcard guy who worked well with everyone from RVD to Jerry Lynn to Tommy Dreamer. I actually find him to be a bit underrated now.

Dean Malenko and Eddie Guerrero- It was tough to separate them on the list but I won't do it here. I gave the nod to Dean for longevity but both were game changers. Like Kilgore said with Lance Storm, Malenko had a charisma with the way he worked. He put that little extra emphasis on his high impact moves and submissions which got me into the match more. He and Scorpio had an underrated series of matches before Dean would even work with Eddie that are more than worth checking out. ECW fans really got Eddie Guerrero instantly which in a vacuum is no shock but compared to what he got initially in WCW is another real credit to the knowledgeable ECW faithful. Once Eddie and Dean started working together and people saw the fluidity and chemistry they worked with the perception of the smaller guys was changed. For the most part before Eddie and Dean, independents were either known for their bloodlust or use of washed up WWF guys. Perhaps Eric Bischoff's smartest move was recognizing how fans were gravitating towards this new breed of wrestler and instantly made them the bedrock of the cruiserweight division in WCW. Hardcore fans workrate obsession only grew from there and indy wrestling was never the same.
          9. The Gangstas
          13. The Bad Breed
          14. Dean Malenko
          15. Eddie Guerrero
          19. Rey Mysterio
          21. Jimmy Snuka
          22. Don Muraco
          26. Sabu and RVD
          30. Steve Austin
          31. Super Crazy
          33. Lance Storm
          34. Chris Candido
          35. The Impact Players
          36. Chris Jericho
          37. Spike Dudley
          38. Steve Corino
          39. Justin Credible
          41. 911
          43. Al Snow
          44. Tommy Cairo
          45. The Chair Swingin' Freaks
          46. Chris Candido and Lance Storm
          47. Hack Myers
          48. Psicosis
          49. The FBI (Tracy Smothers and Little Guido)
          50. Nova

Comment

Steve Corino- Unlike Kilgore it took awhile for Steve Corino to grow on me. Corino starting out with the anti-hardcore gimmick that was done so well by Cactus was a tough sell. It took another legend in Dusty Rhodes to get him over with me. He then had solid matches with Jerry Lynn and actually became a credible ECW champion. I even got a kick out of his Bret Hart cosplay schtick.

Super Crazy- He was another guy you just didn't see anywhere else. He was a more graceful version of Sabu especially with all of his moonsault variations. He had great matches with Tajiri and Kid Kash but unfortunately got lost in the shuffle once wrestling became a monopoly.

Spike Dudley- The Dudley's mascot who eventually had the Paul E staple "Mikey Whipwreck role" placed onto him. He was very good at making Bam Bam seem superhuman with the crowd toss while going through any table that was near by. His execution of the Acid Drop was always a tightrope act and he was great at making it seem like a real struggle of actually executing the move or getting launched into the ringsiders.

Lance Storm- Like Jericho I gravitated towards his lineage instantly and he didn't disappoint in the ring. He just was a dependable midcard guy who worked well with everyone from RVD to Jerry Lynn to Tommy Dreamer. I actually find him to be a bit underrated now.

Dean Malenko and Eddie Guerrero- It was tough to separate them on the list but I won't do it here. I gave the nod to Dean for longevity but both were game changers. Like Kilgore said with Lance Storm, Malenko had a charisma with the way he worked. He put that little extra emphasis on his high impact moves and submissions which got me into the match more. He and Scorpio had an underrated series of matches before Dean would even work with Eddie that are more than worth checking out. ECW fans really got Eddie Guerrero instantly which in a vacuum is no shock but compared to what he got initially in WCW is another real credit to the knowledgeable ECW faithful. Once Eddie and Dean started working together and people saw the fluidity and chemistry they worked with the perception of the smaller guys was changed. For the most part before Eddie and Dean, independents were either known for their bloodlust or use of washed up WWF guys. Perhaps Eric Bischoff's smartest move was recognizing how fans were gravitating towards this new breed of wrestler and instantly made them the bedrock of the cruiserweight division in WCW. Hardcore fans workrate obsession only grew from there and indy wrestling was never the same.
            9. The Gangstas
            13. The Bad Breed
            14. Dean Malenko
            15. Eddie Guerrero
            19. Rey Mysterio
            21. Jimmy Snuka
            22. Don Muraco
            26. Sabu and RVD
            30. Steve Austin
            31. Super Crazy
            33. Lance Storm
            34. Chris Candido
            35. The Impact Players
            36. Chris Jericho
            37. Spike Dudley
            38. Steve Corino
            39. Justin Credible
            41. 911
            43. Al Snow
            44. Tommy Cairo
            45. The Chair Swingin' Freaks
            46. Chris Candido and Lance Storm
            47. Hack Myers
            48. Psicosis
            49. The FBI (Tracy Smothers and Little Guido)
            50. Nova

Comment

I'm so sad I missed this. I might make my own list and post when the countdown is over. I've barely been active the past few weeks, been really busy.

I don't really have any comments on the list, it's been pretty solid so far. I think RVD & Sabu as a team are lower than they should be, but I know as singles competitors they'll be much higher up, so it is what it is.

Glad Jericho got some love, glad Austin got some love (his ECW run was pure gold), I love that Malenko and Guerrero are back-to-back on here...great stuff. This is a fine read.

Comment

I'm so sad I missed this. I might make my own list and post when the countdown is over. I've barely been active the past few weeks, been really busy.

I don't really have any comments on the list, it's been pretty solid so far. I think RVD & Sabu as a team are lower than they should be, but I know as singles competitors they'll be much higher up, so it is what it is.

Glad Jericho got some love, glad Austin got some love (his ECW run was pure gold), I love that Malenko and Guerrero are back-to-back on here...great stuff. This is a fine read.

Comment

I didn't put Austin on-he stole Sandman's gimmick=BBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Comment

I didn't put Austin on-he stole Sandman's gimmick=BBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Comment

Originally posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
                      Somebody should have made a Heavy Metal Parking Lot(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDDnuhbDFeY&t=786s) style documentary about the ECW parking lot. Some shows I've seen I noticed whenever a brawl would go outside that there would be a mob of guys hanging out outside the ECW Arena while the show was going on, I'm guessing a lot of folks would get turned away at the door because they were sold out to max capacity, instead of going home these folks would just hang out outside the front door all night? Love the shots of the fans lined up waiting to get into the Arena they show in the Barbed Wire City documentary, so damn ghetto.
                      I wish I had the foresight to document my ECW pre-show experience. And "experience" is definitely the right word

I always got to The Arena at least an hour before show time. Lines were LONG and slow moving. I never heard of anybody getting turned away. They crammed us in their like sardines and absolutely broke safety code violations. Oddly enough I never saw any fights. You'd think a packed building filled to like 150% capacity that had to be 100 degrees+ in summer coupled with all the drugs & drinking would have been a recipe for disaster. But nope. Can't remember a single crowd fight breaking out during the 8 shows I went to.

I rarely had a seat. Usually stood for the entire show. Only once did I get a ringside seat. It was the November 99 show I went to with some dude from the Strictly ECW forum (that genius bought tickets in advance). Once or twice I went alone. Went with my cousin the other 5 or 6 times.

*Sorry for slowing this down. Been really busy the past few days. Plus I don't want to continue until I've had my say on the latest batch. That's the beauty of running these things. I've enjoyed reading all the comments by you folks.

Super Crazy- Was cool in my book. Not really one of My Guys, per se, but I certainly never groaned when seeing the Extreme Luchadore. His feud with Tajiri was the last in a long line of memorable ECW workrate feuds. I can't say he had my favorite moonsault in a world where Scorpio & Kurt Angle exist but Crazy's moonsault is definitely up there. I was especially partial to his 3 moonsault combo. The ECW faithful counting uno, dos, tres when Crazy did the old "10 punches in the corner" babyface spot was one of those little 'only in ECW' things that gave the promotion its charm. Also had my favorite CW Anderson match at a March 2000 show I attended at The Arena. Think he was #31 on my list.

Spike Dudley- Icon comparing him to Whipwreck is spot on. Spike is also another guy who occasionally got the 911 treatment. Usually at the expense of an ex-Big Two fatty. Interesting that such a tiny dude would be squashing mammoths but that's Heyman & ECW for you. They did things differently. Bigelow throwing him into the crowd was cool and Spike took some hellacious bumps in the never-ending feud with his Dudley brothers. Fwiw every promotion has that one guy I always forget about. Spike was that guy in ECW. I didn't have much of an opinion on him one way or another at the time. He was just a middle of the midcard guy with a pretty stupid gimmick. Spike, a scrawny 150 pounder who wasn't even a spectacular flyer, making WWF and lasting four years is an even bigger sign of ECW's influence than Meanie getting two cups of coffee in the big time. Had him somewhere around #28 on my list.

Lance Storm- First impressions are important. Lance made a bad one at Barely Legal. I don't think I ever completely got over the stupid rat tail and THAT chairshot. I had him pegged as a wimp and if that opinion ever changed at all it was only to precede the wimp with a boring. And I don't think the ECW fans ever truly embraced him either. He was never loved as a face or truly loathed as a heel. There was just something missing with Storm imo. His many matches with RVD never approached the levels of RVD/Sabu or RVD/Lynn....or even RVD/Balls. Storm was athletic, smooth and competent but, much like Candido, I felt he was lacking something even as a workrate guy. The Impact Players did work for me though. I also really liked his Anarchy Rulz match with Jerry Lynn. And he stuck around as a midcard/upper midcard guy for over 3 years. That was good enough for #19 or 20 on my list.

Dean Malenko & Eddie Guerrero- You can't have one without the other when writing about ECW. I could make a strong argument for their matches being the most important/influential of the past 25 years. They pretty much single(double?)handedly brought the "This Is Awesome" workrate/indie style I have come to loathe to America. Standoffs. Rollup exchanges. People cheering for wrestling instead of characters. All this loathsome stuff can be traced directly back to Eddie & Dean. But while I hate what it's turned into I cannot hate on the originators. These two were astronauts doing what none before them save perhaps Pillman & Liger had ever done on American soil. I didn't get around to watching those matches until 98-00, and while I enjoyed them, I had become familiar enough with the style that they didn't really wow me. But it doesn't take a wild stretch of the imagination to imagine the minds of people watching in the spring & summer of '95 being blown. These two were astronauts boldly going where few, if any, had gone before. Dean was around #30 on my list while Eddie was around #35. Dean stuck around longer and had already done some really good stuff in a tag team w/ Benoit before Eddie joined the company.

*I'll finally leave the pseudo-negativity behind when I gush about my man Steve Corino tomorrow. Then I'll post the next four names. Hopefully tomorrow as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
                        I wish I had the foresight to document my ECW pre-show experience. And "experience" is definitely the right word

I always got to The Arena at least an hour before show time. Lines were LONG and slow moving. I never heard of anybody getting turned away. They crammed us in their like sardines and absolutely broke safety code violations. Oddly enough I never saw any fights. You'd think a packed building filled to like 150% capacity that had to be 100 degrees+ in summer coupled with all the drugs & drinking would have been a recipe for disaster. But nope. Can't remember a single crowd fight breaking out during the 8 shows I went to.

I rarely had a seat. Usually stood for the entire show. Only once did I get a ringside seat. It was the November 99 show I went to with some dude from the Strictly ECW forum (that genius bought tickets in advance). Once or twice I went alone. Went with my cousin the other 5 or 6 times.

*Sorry for slowing this down. Been really busy the past few days. Plus I don't want to continue until I've had my say on the latest batch. That's the beauty of running these things. I've enjoyed reading all the comments by you folks.

Super Crazy- Was cool in my book. Not really one of My Guys, per se, but I certainly never groaned when seeing the Extreme Luchadore. His feud with Tajiri was the last in a long line of memorable ECW workrate feuds. I can't say he had my favorite moonsault in a world where Scorpio & Kurt Angle exist but Crazy's moonsault is definitely up there. I was especially partial to his 3 moonsault combo. The ECW faithful counting uno, dos, tres when Crazy did the old "10 punches in the corner" babyface spot was one of those little 'only in ECW' things that gave the promotion its charm. Also had my favorite CW Anderson match at a March 2000 show I attended at The Arena. Think he was #31 on my list.

Spike Dudley- Icon comparing him to Whipwreck is spot on. Spike is also another guy who occasionally got the 911 treatment. Usually at the expense of an ex-Big Two fatty. Interesting that such a tiny dude would be squashing mammoths but that's Heyman & ECW for you. They did things differently. Bigelow throwing him into the crowd was cool and Spike took some hellacious bumps in the never-ending feud with his Dudley brothers. Fwiw every promotion has that one guy I always forget about. Spike was that guy in ECW. I didn't have much of an opinion on him one way or another at the time. He was just a middle of the midcard guy with a pretty stupid gimmick. Spike, a scrawny 150 pounder who wasn't even a spectacular flyer, making WWF and lasting four years is an even bigger sign of ECW's influence than Meanie getting two cups of coffee in the big time. Had him somewhere around #28 on my list.

Lance Storm- First impressions are important. Lance made a bad one at Barely Legal. I don't think I ever completely got over the stupid rat tail and THAT chairshot. I had him pegged as a wimp and if that opinion ever changed at all it was only to precede the wimp with a boring. And I don't think the ECW fans ever truly embraced him either. He was never loved as a face or truly loathed as a heel. There was just something missing with Storm imo. His many matches with RVD never approached the levels of RVD/Sabu or RVD/Lynn....or even RVD/Balls. Storm was athletic, smooth and competent but, much like Candido, I felt he was lacking something even as a workrate guy. The Impact Players did work for me though. I also really liked his Anarchy Rulz match with Jerry Lynn. And he stuck around as a midcard/upper midcard guy for over 3 years. That was good enough for #19 or 20 on my list.

Dean Malenko & Eddie Guerrero- You can't have one without the other when writing about ECW. I could make a strong argument for their matches being the most important/influential of the past 25 years. They pretty much single(double?)handedly brought the "This Is Awesome" workrate/indie style I have come to loathe to America. Standoffs. Rollup exchanges. People cheering for wrestling instead of characters. All this loathsome stuff can be traced directly back to Eddie & Dean. But while I hate what it's turned into I cannot hate on the originators. These two were astronauts doing what none before them save perhaps Pillman & Liger had ever done on American soil. I didn't get around to watching those matches until 98-00, and while I enjoyed them, I had become familiar enough with the style that they didn't really wow me. But it doesn't take a wild stretch of the imagination to imagine the minds of people watching in the spring & summer of '95 being blown. These two were astronauts boldly going where few, if any, had gone before. Dean was around #30 on my list while Eddie was around #35. Dean stuck around longer and had already done some really good stuff in a tag team w/ Benoit before Eddie joined the company.

*I'll finally leave the pseudo-negativity behind when I gush about my man Steve Corino tomorrow. Then I'll post the next four names. Hopefully tomorrow as well.

Comment

Forgot about Super Crazy but yeah that sounds like quite the experience [MENTION=103897]ShinobiMusashi[/MENTION] and [MENTION=105051]Baker[/MENTION].
                          First set of inductees for Titans: Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Shawn Michaels, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and The Undertaker

Comment

Forgot about Super Crazy but yeah that sounds like quite the experience [MENTION=103897]ShinobiMusashi[/MENTION] and [MENTION=105051]Baker[/MENTION].
                            First set of inductees for Titans: Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Shawn Michaels, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and The Undertaker

Comment

Super Crazy could be in the top 20 and I wouldn't even bat an eye. Dude was my jam back in the day.

Hell I still do the chant once in a while, especially when my kids are fighting. They were wrestling the other night and my son fell off the couch and I started going "SU-PER CRA-ZY!!" and clapping. Neither of them know what it means (they just think I'm calling them super crazy) and they love it.

Comment

Super Crazy could be in the top 20 and I wouldn't even bat an eye. Dude was my jam back in the day.

Hell I still do the chant once in a while, especially when my kids are fighting. They were wrestling the other night and my son fell off the couch and I started going "SU-PER CRA-ZY!!" and clapping. Neither of them know what it means (they just think I'm calling them super crazy) and they love it.

Comment

Working...
                                X