Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

Originally posted by Baker View Post
    *Probably won't be dropping another 5 tonight. Gonna be busy and this will give people a chance to catch up.
    Sometimes plans change.

11 Votes-219 Points
    Steve Corino

11 Votes-221 Points
    Super Crazy

10 Votes-229 Points
    Spike Dudley

10 Votes-238 Points
    Lance Storm

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
      *Probably won't be dropping another 5 tonight. Gonna be busy and this will give people a chance to catch up.
      Sometimes plans change.

11 Votes-219 Points
      Steve Corino

11 Votes-221 Points
      Super Crazy

10 Votes-229 Points
      Spike Dudley

10 Votes-238 Points
      Lance Storm

Comment

Al Snow: I was not an Al Snow/Leif Cassidy fan. Compared to WCW's "workrate" guys, Leif as a WWF "workrate" guy seemed laughable. I had not yet seen his first ECW run (or his matches against Sabu pre-ECW even), so I thought Leif sucked. I was surprised when I found myself thinking Al was the best part of ECW's show a month or two later. This was inexplicable. As far as I was concerned, it would be like Mosh or Thrasher all of a sudden fucking ruled. I like Baker's breaking down the Head Era as the stupidest thing ever because it really was. Last year I uploaded an Al Snow/Prodigy video from 1997 on Youtube and simply wrote in the discussion, "You had to be there", because watching it with 2016 eyes, it did not make sense why it ruled so hard. But it did. Had Vinny Mac not requested Al Snow back, Snow would have been the ECW Champion and everybody would have been happy. That's fucking insane.

Chris Candido: I ranked Candido in the 40's. I'm not a fan at all. He was in ECW, on and off, forever, and what was his signature moment? He was always just there, wrestling solid matches, but not good enough where I thought of him as a workrate guy. Not charismatic or good enough on the stick where I gave a shit about any feud he was ever in. If you were rating everything Candido did 1-5, maybe he'd be 3's across the board. I'll take a guy that has a 5 in one area and 1's everywhere else over that. I need one thing to cling to, to care. Tammy was the only thing close to that for me.

Rey Mysterio Jr.: A Sabu tier astronaut as far I was concerned. 1995/1996 is the most impressive high flyer I've ever seen, and as far as the US went, ECW showcased him first. Even if it was one match, I'd rate him high for the holy shit nature of what that match would have been. Besides the Psicosis/Juvy matches, he had the fun odd couple pairing with 911, which automatically makes you a bonafide ECW guy, and not just merely somebody who made a stop there before bigger and better things

The Gangstas: I'll reserve judgement for who comes up in the next few batches, but I have to say, this is feeling a little too low at the moment. SMW deserves some credit, but The Gangstas in ECW brought an unpredictability in wrestling that was Monday Night Wars before Monday Night Wars. Showing up unexpectedly, kicking some asses, getting arrested, doing it all over again the next week. I love New Jack as a solo act, but it never got better than The Gangstas for me. New Jack talking shit, with Mustfa, looking like an escaped mental patient next to him, as they'd go to the ring and have the most hardcore tag matches I had ever seen up to that point. These were the hardest motherfuckers ECW ever saw and were the perfect replacements for The Public Enemy, who seemed even more like cosplayers once they started sharing the ring with the real deal.

Justin Credible: I seem to be a rarity with Justin Credible where I never had a strong opinion of him. I liked him at times, never enough to call myself a fan, but I never hated him in the bad sort of way most seemed to. He was mostly reserved to mid card pre-Impact Players, which seemed about right. Beating Tommy and Sandman was rub, sure, but Tommy and Sandman seemed to lose to everybody. It wasn't like Justin was pinning Taz, or something. I thought he was solid in the way that others seemed to think Candido was solid, as a reliable midcard guy, but in Credible's case, in feuds I actually cared a little about. I loved The Impact Players. I got no real problems with Justin Credible. Of course, he should have never been the ECW Champion, but that was a thin roster, at the time, and I've yet to see a really good alternative. Just okay ones, who's only real strength was that they weren't Justin Credible.

Steve Corino: Sometimes in wrestling you peg things right. A lot of the times you peg things wrong. I got Steve Corino right. I bought Steve Corino ECW stock early, man and he even surpassed my expectations. Just pre-Corino, I remember being in high school, daydreaming about anything during class, including being a pro wrestler from time to time, and I was basically Steve Corino. A baby faced shit talker that inexplicably starts backing up his big talk. Like an inversion of the rootable underdog. The guy that shouldn't win, yet he does, and then you hate them even more for doing so. Corino showing up in ECW, looking 16-years-old and 160 pounds, was basically my ECW avatar. I got a kick out of him as a manager, but once he started wrestling and he got even more brutal on his promos, this was my dude. From the bloodbath against Tajiri, to the bloodbath against Rhodes, to the bloodbath against everybody else en route to an ECW Championship, this was an inexplicable rise that I think, was Paul E.'s last masterpiece. With the closing of ECW and WCW within months of each other, and WWF having no real interest, Corino deserved so much better because 2001/2002 should have been the greatest years of Corino's wrestling life.

Super Crazy: Rey and Psicosis did Extreme Lucha Libre, but Super Crazy was the first Extreme Luchador. He was made for ECW, and the fact that he got over more than Tajiri at first is proof of this. Tajiri needed a little time to figure stuff out. Super Crazy, you could have just dropped off at the ECW Arena, without him ever seeing the product, and he'd immediately win the night regardless. Super Crazy has my favorite moonsault of all time. It was so effortless, and the first third of the rotation happened quicker than anybody before or since. It's very distinct to me. Do some Sin City silhouettes of moonsaults, and I'd pick Super Crazy out ten times out of ten. Like Corino, I would have loved to see Super Crazy in WCW in 2001, had there been more of a WCW in 2001.

Spike Dudley: I had to remind myself tonight that Spike had a pretty successful WWF/E run. What a credit to the Dudley Boyz gimmick and the years of bumping Spike did in ECW to get there. I don't know if the Spike gimmick gets enough credit. The drug abused fetus of Spike becoming the runt of the family and this insane kind of chihuahua ready to scrap with anything in front of him. At first, it seemed like all Spike could do was bump, jump from high things, and do the Acid Drop, and those were three awesome things, so that was more than enough. The first Extreme Crowd Surfing at As Good As It Gets is one of my favorite moments in ECW history. Just thinking about how much things are set up in wrestling, and then you take a moment like that, where they just had to have faith that the fans would catch him, and of course they did.

Lance Storm: Once he lost the rat tail, he instantly got significantly better. I think Lance is a bit overrated as a "workrate" guy, but he was better than Candido, and despite his "boring" gimmick, I always found something compelling about him. I thought he wrestled with more charisma than he'll ever get credit for and his springboard in 1997/1998 was my favorite I had ever seen up to that point. It was just a pretty springboard. Lance Storm vs. Jerry Lynn at Anarchy Rulz is probably a Top 10 match in ECW history. The Impact Players ruled. The teacher and the student, crossing paths years later, and wrecking the shit out of ECW 1994ers, I think it was the best period in both of their careers.

$

Comment

Al Snow: I was not an Al Snow/Leif Cassidy fan. Compared to WCW's "workrate" guys, Leif as a WWF "workrate" guy seemed laughable. I had not yet seen his first ECW run (or his matches against Sabu pre-ECW even), so I thought Leif sucked. I was surprised when I found myself thinking Al was the best part of ECW's show a month or two later. This was inexplicable. As far as I was concerned, it would be like Mosh or Thrasher all of a sudden fucking ruled. I like Baker's breaking down the Head Era as the stupidest thing ever because it really was. Last year I uploaded an Al Snow/Prodigy video from 1997 on Youtube and simply wrote in the discussion, "You had to be there", because watching it with 2016 eyes, it did not make sense why it ruled so hard. But it did. Had Vinny Mac not requested Al Snow back, Snow would have been the ECW Champion and everybody would have been happy. That's fucking insane.

Chris Candido: I ranked Candido in the 40's. I'm not a fan at all. He was in ECW, on and off, forever, and what was his signature moment? He was always just there, wrestling solid matches, but not good enough where I thought of him as a workrate guy. Not charismatic or good enough on the stick where I gave a shit about any feud he was ever in. If you were rating everything Candido did 1-5, maybe he'd be 3's across the board. I'll take a guy that has a 5 in one area and 1's everywhere else over that. I need one thing to cling to, to care. Tammy was the only thing close to that for me.

Rey Mysterio Jr.: A Sabu tier astronaut as far I was concerned. 1995/1996 is the most impressive high flyer I've ever seen, and as far as the US went, ECW showcased him first. Even if it was one match, I'd rate him high for the holy shit nature of what that match would have been. Besides the Psicosis/Juvy matches, he had the fun odd couple pairing with 911, which automatically makes you a bonafide ECW guy, and not just merely somebody who made a stop there before bigger and better things

The Gangstas: I'll reserve judgement for who comes up in the next few batches, but I have to say, this is feeling a little too low at the moment. SMW deserves some credit, but The Gangstas in ECW brought an unpredictability in wrestling that was Monday Night Wars before Monday Night Wars. Showing up unexpectedly, kicking some asses, getting arrested, doing it all over again the next week. I love New Jack as a solo act, but it never got better than The Gangstas for me. New Jack talking shit, with Mustfa, looking like an escaped mental patient next to him, as they'd go to the ring and have the most hardcore tag matches I had ever seen up to that point. These were the hardest motherfuckers ECW ever saw and were the perfect replacements for The Public Enemy, who seemed even more like cosplayers once they started sharing the ring with the real deal.

Justin Credible: I seem to be a rarity with Justin Credible where I never had a strong opinion of him. I liked him at times, never enough to call myself a fan, but I never hated him in the bad sort of way most seemed to. He was mostly reserved to mid card pre-Impact Players, which seemed about right. Beating Tommy and Sandman was rub, sure, but Tommy and Sandman seemed to lose to everybody. It wasn't like Justin was pinning Taz, or something. I thought he was solid in the way that others seemed to think Candido was solid, as a reliable midcard guy, but in Credible's case, in feuds I actually cared a little about. I loved The Impact Players. I got no real problems with Justin Credible. Of course, he should have never been the ECW Champion, but that was a thin roster, at the time, and I've yet to see a really good alternative. Just okay ones, who's only real strength was that they weren't Justin Credible.

Steve Corino: Sometimes in wrestling you peg things right. A lot of the times you peg things wrong. I got Steve Corino right. I bought Steve Corino ECW stock early, man and he even surpassed my expectations. Just pre-Corino, I remember being in high school, daydreaming about anything during class, including being a pro wrestler from time to time, and I was basically Steve Corino. A baby faced shit talker that inexplicably starts backing up his big talk. Like an inversion of the rootable underdog. The guy that shouldn't win, yet he does, and then you hate them even more for doing so. Corino showing up in ECW, looking 16-years-old and 160 pounds, was basically my ECW avatar. I got a kick out of him as a manager, but once he started wrestling and he got even more brutal on his promos, this was my dude. From the bloodbath against Tajiri, to the bloodbath against Rhodes, to the bloodbath against everybody else en route to an ECW Championship, this was an inexplicable rise that I think, was Paul E.'s last masterpiece. With the closing of ECW and WCW within months of each other, and WWF having no real interest, Corino deserved so much better because 2001/2002 should have been the greatest years of Corino's wrestling life.

Super Crazy: Rey and Psicosis did Extreme Lucha Libre, but Super Crazy was the first Extreme Luchador. He was made for ECW, and the fact that he got over more than Tajiri at first is proof of this. Tajiri needed a little time to figure stuff out. Super Crazy, you could have just dropped off at the ECW Arena, without him ever seeing the product, and he'd immediately win the night regardless. Super Crazy has my favorite moonsault of all time. It was so effortless, and the first third of the rotation happened quicker than anybody before or since. It's very distinct to me. Do some Sin City silhouettes of moonsaults, and I'd pick Super Crazy out ten times out of ten. Like Corino, I would have loved to see Super Crazy in WCW in 2001, had there been more of a WCW in 2001.

Spike Dudley: I had to remind myself tonight that Spike had a pretty successful WWF/E run. What a credit to the Dudley Boyz gimmick and the years of bumping Spike did in ECW to get there. I don't know if the Spike gimmick gets enough credit. The drug abused fetus of Spike becoming the runt of the family and this insane kind of chihuahua ready to scrap with anything in front of him. At first, it seemed like all Spike could do was bump, jump from high things, and do the Acid Drop, and those were three awesome things, so that was more than enough. The first Extreme Crowd Surfing at As Good As It Gets is one of my favorite moments in ECW history. Just thinking about how much things are set up in wrestling, and then you take a moment like that, where they just had to have faith that the fans would catch him, and of course they did.

Lance Storm: Once he lost the rat tail, he instantly got significantly better. I think Lance is a bit overrated as a "workrate" guy, but he was better than Candido, and despite his "boring" gimmick, I always found something compelling about him. I thought he wrestled with more charisma than he'll ever get credit for and his springboard in 1997/1998 was my favorite I had ever seen up to that point. It was just a pretty springboard. Lance Storm vs. Jerry Lynn at Anarchy Rulz is probably a Top 10 match in ECW history. The Impact Players ruled. The teacher and the student, crossing paths years later, and wrecking the shit out of ECW 1994ers, I think it was the best period in both of their careers.

$

Comment

Sabu and Van Dam were like the most awesome thing in wrestling to me in late 1998. Just loved the moves that they would do so much.

I forgot about Impact Players. Should have definitely made my list.

Pillman made it low on my list. I kinda wish I would have put him on my non-wrestler list instead. Pillman's personality was just one of a kind and it fit perfectly with ECW. Pillman was too good for pro wrestling. The guy should have been doing Wesley Snipes and Steven Seagal movies, playing a villain in episodes of X-Files and Walker Texas Ranger.

Axl made my list, some of those matches against Ian were really great for the style they were going for, hardcore wrestling is a sick and twisted art, like bringing a horror movie to life in front of a live audience, creating images that were made to sell magazines. You want to talk about a fucking feud, Axl vs Ian Rotten in ECW, that's a fucking feud.

Austin made the bottom of my list. ECW 1995 is some of my all time favorite wrestling. Company running on food stamps in a bingo hall was putting on a way better product than Vince Mcmahon or Ted Turner, basically laying the groundwork for the Attitude Era and setting templates that WWE would continue to use to this day. Big part of what makes ECW '95 some of my favorite shit of all time was the little 5-6 week long stint that Stone Cold did there in the Fall. All of his appearances were solid gold, to me some of his best work overall because of how unhinged and uncensored he was, he was a ruthless Texas redneck on the mic from his first promo in his rarely seen debut in New York when he confronted Sandman and Mikey. Then his ECW Arena debut promo telling Woman that she looked like a $5 piece of ass and if he had $5 and a clothespin to put over his nose he'd probably give her a try. Then you had the epic promos that Kilgore linked, solid gold, I even liked his matches with Sandman and Mikey. Austin finding his groove in ECW is one of my favorite things about ECW lore. That combined with all the other stuff happening in 95 ECW makes that some of my favorite pro wrestling television of any run any promotion ever had.

Guido is another from my list, been involved in some great matches with Tajiri and Super Crazy, I was always interested in how he worked in UWFI and trained for a brief period of time under Billy Robinson. Would have liked to have seen Guido incorporate some of the shoot style stuff into his style instead of always being the goofy overbumping style heel comedy act, I think shoot style was just never something he was that good at though so he just always stuck to what got him to the dance. He wrestled on every single ECW pay per view except for Hardcore Heaven 97, and he wrestled in ECW in it's first batch of shows in 1992 as Damien Stone. He just had such great chemistry with Crazy and Tajiri, he sold Tajiri's kicks and the tree of woe probably better than anybody else. He was fast and athletic enough to keep up with those guys in 3 way matches, the one they had at Anarchy Rulz 99 is one of my favorite ECW matches. Also I like the Guido/Tracey Smothers/Tommy Rich FBI they had going in 97-98.

Benoit I never really seen much of his ECW run other than his involvement in the 3 way feud they had going with Benoit/Malenko vs Public Enemy vs Sabu/Taz, which was the main storyline going in ECW from late 94 up to the Three Way Dance show in April 95 where Sabu no-showed the big blow off match and was publicly fired by Heyman in a promo in the ring.

I love 911. The skits they were doing with Paul Heyman coming out with him to break up shitty matches were great. Some of the stuff they did with Heyman and Brock in WWE was copied from Heyman and 911 in ECW, motherfuckers STILL copying ECW to this day. The build up to his chokeslam on Fonzie in 95 was some of the best shit, the actual chokeslam itself was like one of the most epic ECW moments ever.

I loved the way Heyman booked the 4 way feud over the TV title in 96 with Jericho vs Scorpio vs Douglas vs Pitbull 2, Jericho vs Pitbull 2 is a pretty underrated ECW match, the 4 way at Heatwave 96 was awesome as was his match against Mikey at A Matter of Respect.

I was a huge Al Snow fan back in the day. I still think his ECW promos were pretty funny. Its crazy how over he got in ECW, was probably going to be the ECW World Champ throughout 1998, he was one of those acts that could have crossed over and brought in new fans for ECW in late 98 early 99. Absolutely loved those Prodigy videos that they used to make, [MENTION=105216]Kilgore[/MENTION] uploaded a few of them:

I had some friends back in the day/98 that were older and way cooler than me, gnarly ass weed smoking Pantera guys that thought pro wrestling was gay. They liked Prodigy so I showed them one of my ECW tapes with the Snow music video and they thought it was awesome. I'd be embarrassed to show them all the WWF and WCW tapes I had but ECW was cool, I almost got them into it.

Candido I like. If there is one thing I regret about my list I'd probably list Candido and Lance Storm tag team instead of Candido as a singles guy. Kilgore is right about Candido never really having any signature moments. I always thought he was a solid wrestler though, his best match for me would probably be the mixed partner tag match where Candido/Storm and Sabu/RVD switched partners and went against each other in 98, I can't remember who exactly teamed with who, I believe it might have been Sabu/Candido vs Storm/RVD or the other way around but it was an excellent match. Probably one of the best in ECW history, certainly one of the best tag matches in ECW history. I liked Candido's personality, he was funny on promos and he took Tazplexes better than just about anybody. He was good with the goofy heel overselling when he was on.

Absolutely love Mysterio in ECW. He had the series of matches with Psicosis in 95, a pair of great matches with Juvy in 96, the pairing with 911 against Eliminators but also had a really decent match against Mikey Whipreck for the ECW World Title in 95 and the tag match with Konnan against Psicosis and La Parka. The Rey vs Juvy/Psicosis matches to me are some of the best ECW matches you are going to find.

I think I put the Gangstas way too low on my list. I always found Mustafa to be pretty worthless though, he didn't really add anything to what New Jack did. They were in some really bad matches there towards the end of 96 and the three way feud with Eliminators and Dudleys in 97 was some god awful matches too. But the way they debuted in ECW in 95 was excellent, and the whole feud with Public Enemy was great to me with the whole West Coast vs East Coast thing that tied into what was going on in hip hop music in 95.

Just like Yokozuna Justin Credible is a guy I hated so much back in the day but my opinion has changed a lot looking back now with a different perspective. Credible had some great matches in ECW, against The Great Sasuke at House Party 98(another match they had in late 97 was good) against Jerry Lynn at A Matter of Respect 98, and against Sabu at Anarchy Rulz 99. Also the Impact Players were awesome. I regret not finding a spot on my list for the Impact Players.

Been super busy so I'm running behind with this thing. I'll catch up on the next batch a little later.

12. Sabu & RVD
            25. Rey Mysterio
            29. Chris Jericho
            31. Justin Credible
            32. Doring & Roadkill
            33. Al Snow
            36. Pit Bull 2
            37. Chris Candido
            38. Axl Rotten
            39. 911
            40. Nova
            41. The Unholy Alliance Mikey Whipreck & Yoshihiro Tajiri
            42. Guido
            43. Eddie Gilbert
            45. The Gangstas
            46. Kid Kash
            47. Jazz
            48. Steve Austin
            49. Brian Pillman
            50. Hack Myers
            Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 04-22-2017, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Sabu and Van Dam were like the most awesome thing in wrestling to me in late 1998. Just loved the moves that they would do so much.

I forgot about Impact Players. Should have definitely made my list.

Pillman made it low on my list. I kinda wish I would have put him on my non-wrestler list instead. Pillman's personality was just one of a kind and it fit perfectly with ECW. Pillman was too good for pro wrestling. The guy should have been doing Wesley Snipes and Steven Seagal movies, playing a villain in episodes of X-Files and Walker Texas Ranger.

Axl made my list, some of those matches against Ian were really great for the style they were going for, hardcore wrestling is a sick and twisted art, like bringing a horror movie to life in front of a live audience, creating images that were made to sell magazines. You want to talk about a fucking feud, Axl vs Ian Rotten in ECW, that's a fucking feud.

Austin made the bottom of my list. ECW 1995 is some of my all time favorite wrestling. Company running on food stamps in a bingo hall was putting on a way better product than Vince Mcmahon or Ted Turner, basically laying the groundwork for the Attitude Era and setting templates that WWE would continue to use to this day. Big part of what makes ECW '95 some of my favorite shit of all time was the little 5-6 week long stint that Stone Cold did there in the Fall. All of his appearances were solid gold, to me some of his best work overall because of how unhinged and uncensored he was, he was a ruthless Texas redneck on the mic from his first promo in his rarely seen debut in New York when he confronted Sandman and Mikey. Then his ECW Arena debut promo telling Woman that she looked like a $5 piece of ass and if he had $5 and a clothespin to put over his nose he'd probably give her a try. Then you had the epic promos that Kilgore linked, solid gold, I even liked his matches with Sandman and Mikey. Austin finding his groove in ECW is one of my favorite things about ECW lore. That combined with all the other stuff happening in 95 ECW makes that some of my favorite pro wrestling television of any run any promotion ever had.

Guido is another from my list, been involved in some great matches with Tajiri and Super Crazy, I was always interested in how he worked in UWFI and trained for a brief period of time under Billy Robinson. Would have liked to have seen Guido incorporate some of the shoot style stuff into his style instead of always being the goofy overbumping style heel comedy act, I think shoot style was just never something he was that good at though so he just always stuck to what got him to the dance. He wrestled on every single ECW pay per view except for Hardcore Heaven 97, and he wrestled in ECW in it's first batch of shows in 1992 as Damien Stone. He just had such great chemistry with Crazy and Tajiri, he sold Tajiri's kicks and the tree of woe probably better than anybody else. He was fast and athletic enough to keep up with those guys in 3 way matches, the one they had at Anarchy Rulz 99 is one of my favorite ECW matches. Also I like the Guido/Tracey Smothers/Tommy Rich FBI they had going in 97-98.

Benoit I never really seen much of his ECW run other than his involvement in the 3 way feud they had going with Benoit/Malenko vs Public Enemy vs Sabu/Taz, which was the main storyline going in ECW from late 94 up to the Three Way Dance show in April 95 where Sabu no-showed the big blow off match and was publicly fired by Heyman in a promo in the ring.

I love 911. The skits they were doing with Paul Heyman coming out with him to break up shitty matches were great. Some of the stuff they did with Heyman and Brock in WWE was copied from Heyman and 911 in ECW, motherfuckers STILL copying ECW to this day. The build up to his chokeslam on Fonzie in 95 was some of the best shit, the actual chokeslam itself was like one of the most epic ECW moments ever.

I loved the way Heyman booked the 4 way feud over the TV title in 96 with Jericho vs Scorpio vs Douglas vs Pitbull 2, Jericho vs Pitbull 2 is a pretty underrated ECW match, the 4 way at Heatwave 96 was awesome as was his match against Mikey at A Matter of Respect.

I was a huge Al Snow fan back in the day. I still think his ECW promos were pretty funny. Its crazy how over he got in ECW, was probably going to be the ECW World Champ throughout 1998, he was one of those acts that could have crossed over and brought in new fans for ECW in late 98 early 99. Absolutely loved those Prodigy videos that they used to make, [MENTION=105216]Kilgore[/MENTION] uploaded a few of them:

I had some friends back in the day/98 that were older and way cooler than me, gnarly ass weed smoking Pantera guys that thought pro wrestling was gay. They liked Prodigy so I showed them one of my ECW tapes with the Snow music video and they thought it was awesome. I'd be embarrassed to show them all the WWF and WCW tapes I had but ECW was cool, I almost got them into it.

Candido I like. If there is one thing I regret about my list I'd probably list Candido and Lance Storm tag team instead of Candido as a singles guy. Kilgore is right about Candido never really having any signature moments. I always thought he was a solid wrestler though, his best match for me would probably be the mixed partner tag match where Candido/Storm and Sabu/RVD switched partners and went against each other in 98, I can't remember who exactly teamed with who, I believe it might have been Sabu/Candido vs Storm/RVD or the other way around but it was an excellent match. Probably one of the best in ECW history, certainly one of the best tag matches in ECW history. I liked Candido's personality, he was funny on promos and he took Tazplexes better than just about anybody. He was good with the goofy heel overselling when he was on.

Absolutely love Mysterio in ECW. He had the series of matches with Psicosis in 95, a pair of great matches with Juvy in 96, the pairing with 911 against Eliminators but also had a really decent match against Mikey Whipreck for the ECW World Title in 95 and the tag match with Konnan against Psicosis and La Parka. The Rey vs Juvy/Psicosis matches to me are some of the best ECW matches you are going to find.

I think I put the Gangstas way too low on my list. I always found Mustafa to be pretty worthless though, he didn't really add anything to what New Jack did. They were in some really bad matches there towards the end of 96 and the three way feud with Eliminators and Dudleys in 97 was some god awful matches too. But the way they debuted in ECW in 95 was excellent, and the whole feud with Public Enemy was great to me with the whole West Coast vs East Coast thing that tied into what was going on in hip hop music in 95.

Just like Yokozuna Justin Credible is a guy I hated so much back in the day but my opinion has changed a lot looking back now with a different perspective. Credible had some great matches in ECW, against The Great Sasuke at House Party 98(another match they had in late 97 was good) against Jerry Lynn at A Matter of Respect 98, and against Sabu at Anarchy Rulz 99. Also the Impact Players were awesome. I regret not finding a spot on my list for the Impact Players.

Been super busy so I'm running behind with this thing. I'll catch up on the next batch a little later.

12. Sabu & RVD
              25. Rey Mysterio
              29. Chris Jericho
              31. Justin Credible
              32. Doring & Roadkill
              33. Al Snow
              36. Pit Bull 2
              37. Chris Candido
              38. Axl Rotten
              39. 911
              40. Nova
              42. Guido
              43. Eddie Gilbert
              45. The Gangstas
              46. Kid Kash
              47. Jazz
              48. Steve Austin
              49. Brian Pillman
              50. Hack Myers

Comment

So, again, I feel like I won't have much to contribute... certainly nothing beyond what's already being said by others, so there might not be much to my occasional posts in here other than revealing my votes/personal rankings. Regarding my votes, in order to squeeze as many guys onto my list as possible, I tried to avoid double-dipping as much as possible (i.e., refrain from listing tag teams and then each member as a singles guy too)... which made things really tricky with certain folks, but oh well. Then, regarding my personal rankings, I wish I'd defined a more concrete criteria for myself at the outset. My criteria was pretty fluid, and looking back at my list now, it's clear that I would arbitrarily weight different things differently at different times. Again, oh well. Honestly, looking at my list, I think that I threw around brownie points to guys who would go onto much greater notoriety AFTER their ECW runs on the principle that their greater successes and higher profiles benefited the legacy of ECW retrogressively by reminding people decades later of ECW's wildness and greatness. If that makes sense. Anyway... I'm surprised no one else dug little James Maritato as much as me!

Originally posted by PI
                1. [...]
                2. [...]
                3. [...]
                4. [...]
                5. [...]
                6. [...]
                7. [...]
                8. [...]
                9. [...]
                10. [...]
                11. [...]
                12. [...]
                13. [...]
                14. The Gangstas (#32)
                15. [...]
                16. The Bad Breed (#41)
                17. [...]
                18. [...]
                19. [...]
                20. [...]
                21. The Impact Players (#44)
                22. [...]
                23. [...]
                24. [...]
                25. Eddie Gilbert (#54)
                26. [...]
                27. Al Snow (#35)
                28. 911 (#37)
                29. [...]
                30. [...]
                31. Chris Benoit (#38)
                32. Steve Austin (#40)
                33. Chris Candido (#34)
                34. [...]
                35. Brian Pillman (#43)
                36. Rey Mysterio (#33)
                37. Spike Dudley (#28)
                38. Chris Jericho (#36)
                39. [...]
                40. Justin Credible (#31)
                41. Ron Simmons (#63)
                42. Jimmy Snuka (#46)
                43. Lance Storm (#27)
                44. Steve Corino (#30)
                45. Little Guido (#39)
                46. Psicosis (#50)
                47. Super Crazy (#29)
                48. Jerry Lawler (#97)
                49. Jason Knight (#76)
                50. Kevin Sullivan (#101)
                : 04/02/11}:forever&always
                ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
                http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

Comment

So, again, I feel like I won't have much to contribute... certainly nothing beyond what's already being said by others, so there might not be much to my occasional posts in here other than revealing my votes/personal rankings. Regarding my votes, in order to squeeze as many guys onto my list as possible, I tried to avoid double-dipping as much as possible (i.e., refrain from listing tag teams and then each member as a singles guy too)... which made things really tricky with certain folks, but oh well. Then, regarding my personal rankings, I wish I'd defined a more concrete criteria for myself at the outset. My criteria was pretty fluid, and looking back at my list now, it's clear that I would arbitrarily weight different things differently at different times. Again, oh well. Honestly, looking at my list, I think that I threw around brownie points to guys who would go onto much greater notoriety AFTER their ECW runs on the principle that their greater successes and higher profiles benefited the legacy of ECW retrogressively by reminding people decades later of ECW's wildness and greatness. If that makes sense. Anyway... I'm surprised no one else dug little James Maritato as much as me!

Originally posted by PI
                  1. [...]
                  2. [...]
                  3. [...]
                  4. [...]
                  5. [...]
                  6. [...]
                  7. [...]
                  8. [...]
                  9. [...]
                  10. [...]
                  11. [...]
                  12. [...]
                  13. [...]
                  14. The Gangstas (#32)
                  15. [...]
                  16. The Bad Breed (#41)
                  17. [...]
                  18. [...]
                  19. [...]
                  20. [...]
                  21. The Impact Players (#44)
                  22. [...]
                  23. [...]
                  24. [...]
                  25. Eddie Gilbert (#54)
                  26. [...]
                  27. Al Snow (#35)
                  28. 911 (#37)
                  29. [...]
                  30. [...]
                  31. Chris Benoit (#38)
                  32. Steve Austin (#40)
                  33. Chris Candido (#34)
                  34. [...]
                  35. Brian Pillman (#43)
                  36. Rey Mysterio (#33)
                  37. Spike Dudley (#28)
                  38. Chris Jericho (#36)
                  39. [...]
                  40. Justin Credible (#31)
                  41. Ron Simmons (#63)
                  42. Jimmy Snuka (#46)
                  43. Lance Storm (#27)
                  44. Steve Corino (#30)
                  45. Little Guido (#39)
                  46. Psicosis (#50)
                  47. Super Crazy (#29)
                  48. Jerry Lawler (#97)
                  49. Jason Knight (#76)
                  50. Kevin Sullivan (#101)
                  : 04/02/11}:forever&always
                  ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
                  http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

Comment

I'll give you guys something to write about while I'm away for the day and now you'll learn the reason I stopped after 4 instead of my usual 5 yesterday. This battle was one of my favorite things to watch when adding up the votes. They were neck & neck the entire time often trading the lead and I don't think there was ever a time when they were more than 5 points apart. These two will be forever linked in ECW lore as much as any tag team. It is fitting that they were separated by only 1 point in the end. Without further ado....

11 Votes-252 Points
                    Dean Malenko

11 Votes-253 Points
                    Eddy Guerrero

Comment

I'll give you guys something to write about while I'm away for the day and now you'll learn the reason I stopped after 4 instead of my usual 5 yesterday. This battle was one of my favorite things to watch when adding up the votes. They were neck & neck the entire time often trading the lead and I don't think there was ever a time when they were more than 5 points apart. These two will be forever linked in ECW lore as much as any tag team. It is fitting that they were separated by only 1 point in the end. Without further ado....

11 Votes-252 Points
                      Dean Malenko

11 Votes-253 Points
                      Eddy Guerrero

Comment

Steve Corino's run in ECW is comparable to Stevie Richards. Started out at the bottom as a comedy act almost, worked and bled his way to the top. Probably would have been a great guy for WCW in 2001-2002 had they not gone out of business. Was great on the mic.

Super Crazy was one of my favorite guys in ECW in 99-2000. Also was always a big Spike fan, awesome to see that he got a great run in the WWF in those years after I quit watching wrestling.

Lance Storm was one of my guys because he was from the same place as Bret, Calgary... Alberta Canada. Watching through 1998 a few years ago he was a great young talent that was pushed very well that year. I really loved him and Dawn Marie together, that was a great duo.

I had Eddie just a spot or two higher than Dean even though he had a much shorter run. Love the character that Dean played in ECW, the silent shooter that never spoke, scientific mat wrestler being pushed like a dangerous master of his craft, that's the kind of pro wrestling I like the most. With Eddie his run in ECW was magic, from his debut winning the TV title against Scorpio(excellent title victory moment). The Malenko Guerrero series is one of my favorite things in all of wrestling. I first seen them wrestle each other in WCW in 95 and instantly fell in love with both guys. Then I found out that their rivalry started in ECW, it was one of the things that attracted me to ECW in the first place. Could watch those guys wrestle each other all day. I have a 6 hour long VHS tape from RF Video that has all of their ECW matches on it, it's a great tape.

12. Sabu & RVD
                        18. Super Crazy
                        19. Lance Storm
                        22. Eddie Guerrero
                        24. Dean Malenko
                        25. Rey Mysterio
                        26. Steve Corino
                        29. Chris Jericho
                        31. Justin Credible
                        32. Doring & Roadkill
                        33. Al Snow
                        34. Spike Dudley
                        36. Pit Bull 2
                        37. Chris Candido
                        38. Axl Rotten
                        39. 911
                        40. Nova
                        42. Guido
                        43. Eddie Gilbert
                        45. The Gangstas
                        46. Kid Kash
                        47. Jazz
                        48. Steve Austin
                        49. Brian Pillman
                        50. Hack Myers

[MENTION=105051]Baker[/MENTION] doing a great job running this, I'm enjoying it.

Comment

Steve Corino's run in ECW is comparable to Stevie Richards. Started out at the bottom as a comedy act almost, worked and bled his way to the top. Probably would have been a great guy for WCW in 2001-2002 had they not gone out of business. Was great on the mic.

Super Crazy was one of my favorite guys in ECW in 99-2000. Also was always a big Spike fan, awesome to see that he got a great run in the WWF in those years after I quit watching wrestling.

Lance Storm was one of my guys because he was from the same place as Bret, Calgary... Alberta Canada. Watching through 1998 a few years ago he was a great young talent that was pushed very well that year. I really loved him and Dawn Marie together, that was a great duo.

I had Eddie just a spot or two higher than Dean even though he had a much shorter run. Love the character that Dean played in ECW, the silent shooter that never spoke, scientific mat wrestler being pushed like a dangerous master of his craft, that's the kind of pro wrestling I like the most. With Eddie his run in ECW was magic, from his debut winning the TV title against Scorpio(excellent title victory moment). The Malenko Guerrero series is one of my favorite things in all of wrestling. I first seen them wrestle each other in WCW in 95 and instantly fell in love with both guys. Then I found out that their rivalry started in ECW, it was one of the things that attracted me to ECW in the first place. Could watch those guys wrestle each other all day. I have a 6 hour long VHS tape from RF Video that has all of their ECW matches on it, it's a great tape.

12. Sabu & RVD
                          18. Super Crazy
                          19. Lance Storm
                          22. Eddie Guerrero
                          24. Dean Malenko
                          25. Rey Mysterio
                          26. Steve Corino
                          29. Chris Jericho
                          31. Justin Credible
                          32. Doring & Roadkill
                          33. Al Snow
                          34. Spike Dudley
                          36. Pit Bull 2
                          37. Chris Candido
                          38. Axl Rotten
                          39. 911
                          40. Nova
                          42. Guido
                          43. Eddie Gilbert
                          45. The Gangstas
                          46. Kid Kash
                          47. Jazz
                          48. Steve Austin
                          49. Brian Pillman
                          50. Hack Myers

[MENTION=105051]Baker[/MENTION] doing a great job running this, I'm enjoying it.

Comment

there isn't much here that i can say that hasn't been said. Shinobi hit the nail on the head with Steve Corino being the next Stevie Richards. he would have been great for One Night Stand, but has had a good career elsewhere.

really liked the gangstas team more than new jack as a singles guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8egRoeZpms there were some good fights he still had after mustapha left, and i liked him and spike dudley as a team. (them vs dudleys vs balls/axl at living dangerously, epic balcony dive) but his character lost that edge that he had when they were a team. he'd come up and bloody people up with pipes and hang them with a noose, and it was great, but then he started using goofy shit like toy airplanes and lawnmowers and shit. paul heyman on stone colds podcast gave alot of props to new jack for selling a feud and cutting great promos. whether the gangtas were fighting public enemy, eliminators or each other, you'd really believe someone was gonna die from those promos. the eliminators feud especially was a highlight on those pulp fiction segments. perry saturn sold that shit great to, and there's nothing i can say that wasn't already said about on American Hardcore Theatre.

Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko were an awesome ruthless heel tag team in that amazing 3 way feud. attacking rocco rock in a wheelchair and going afters sabu's neck. watches through some wcw a while back and they made for a great team there to. like Kilgore said about tag team names, if they could have came up with one, they could have gone down as one of the great tag teams.

Spike Dudley and Super Crazy. Spike Dudley was a phenomenon/miracle. words can't describe watching him go from jobber to main eventer with Mike Awesome. i'll defend the last year of ecw forever, but it took a major blow when spike was injured and super crazy left for the spring/summer. those two really could have been big time players.

Comment

there isn't much here that i can say that hasn't been said. Shinobi hit the nail on the head with Steve Corino being the next Stevie Richards. he would have been great for One Night Stand, but has had a good career elsewhere.

really liked the gangstas team more than new jack as a singles guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8egRoeZpms there were some good fights he still had after mustapha left, and i liked him and spike dudley as a team. (them vs dudleys vs balls/axl at living dangerously, epic balcony dive) but his character lost that edge that he had when they were a team. he'd come up and bloody people up with pipes and hang them with a noose, and it was great, but then he started using goofy shit like toy airplanes and lawnmowers and shit. paul heyman on stone colds podcast gave alot of props to new jack for selling a feud and cutting great promos. whether the gangtas were fighting public enemy, eliminators or each other, you'd really believe someone was gonna die from those promos. the eliminators feud especially was a highlight on those pulp fiction segments. perry saturn sold that shit great to, and there's nothing i can say that wasn't already said about on American Hardcore Theatre.

Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko were an awesome ruthless heel tag team in that amazing 3 way feud. attacking rocco rock in a wheelchair and going afters sabu's neck. watches through some wcw a while back and they made for a great team there to. like Kilgore said about tag team names, if they could have came up with one, they could have gone down as one of the great tag teams.

Spike Dudley and Super Crazy. Spike Dudley was a phenomenon/miracle. words can't describe watching him go from jobber to main eventer with Mike Awesome. i'll defend the last year of ecw forever, but it took a major blow when spike was injured and super crazy left for the spring/summer. those two really could have been big time players.

Comment

Somebody should have made a Heavy Metal Parking Lot(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDDnuhbDFeY&t=786s) style documentary about the ECW parking lot. Some shows I've seen I noticed whenever a brawl would go outside that there would be a mob of guys hanging out outside the ECW Arena while the show was going on, I'm guessing a lot of folks would get turned away at the door because they were sold out to max capacity, instead of going home these folks would just hang out outside the front door all night? Love the shots of the fans lined up waiting to get into the Arena they show in the Barbed Wire City documentary, so damn ghetto.

Comment

Working...
                                X