Little Guido

7 Votes-133 Points
    Chris Benoit

9 Votes-135 Points

10 Votes-154 Points
    Chris Jericho

Comment

Re: ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

Steve Austin: This countdown just got itself an Extreme Superstar. Austin was one of my final cuts, as there was too many long timers I had to show the respect too, but Austin's brief run was so much fun. He was apparently offered a title win from Paul E., but Austin declined knowing he wouldn't be there long. Even it was briefly, Austin being on the "ECW Champion" list forever, would be fun to look at. Austin cut some great promos, including what I think is the GOAT. The two matches were fun too.

Little Guido: A perfect midcard or lower guy for ECW. The arrival of Super Crazy/Tajiri was the best thing that happened to him, as he found himself in some very good matches.

Chris Benoit: I think this is a rare fair rating for Benoit, like he's not getting docked here because of turning into a murderous psycho. He had a short run, that was pretty good, but not nearly as memorable as his workrate contemporaries.

911: 911 one ahead of Benoit is so fucking ECW. I love it. What's the territory archetype for 911? Was anybody used like that before? 911 as the ECW fan's representative, destroying people who sucked, or were just assholes and deserved it. WWF/WCW certainly weren't doing it in 1994. Maybe Paul E.'s masterpiece of chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Chris Jericho: Jericho deserves this. This wasn't just a cameo by somebody who would have more success elsewhere. He was kind of an unknown, no real name recognition on the East Coast, and he won the ECW crowd over almost instantly, which is kind of a miracle, considering his look. Jericho probably could have got some old fashioned Philly "pretty boy" hate, but he was legit over during his brief spell, and his Four Way match at Heatwave '96 is one of the greatest ECW matches ever.

$

Comment

Steve Austin: This countdown just got itself an Extreme Superstar. Austin was one of my final cuts, as there was too many long timers I had to show the respect too, but Austin's brief run was so much fun. He was apparently offered a title win from Paul E., but Austin declined knowing he wouldn't be there long. Even it was briefly, Austin being on the "ECW Champion" list forever, would be fun to look at. Austin cut some great promos, including what I think is the GOAT. The two matches were fun too.

Little Guido: A perfect midcard or lower guy for ECW. The arrival of Super Crazy/Tajiri was the best thing that happened to him, as he found himself in some very good matches.

Chris Benoit: I think this is a rare fair rating for Benoit, like he's not getting docked here because of turning into a murderous psycho. He had a short run, that was pretty good, but not nearly as memorable as his workrate contemporaries.

911: 911 one ahead of Benoit is so fucking ECW. I love it. What's the territory archetype for 911? Was anybody used like that before? 911 as the ECW fan's representative, destroying people who sucked, or were just assholes and deserved it. WWF/WCW certainly weren't doing it in 1994. Maybe Paul E.'s masterpiece of chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Chris Jericho: Jericho deserves this. This wasn't just a cameo by somebody who would have more success elsewhere. He was kind of an unknown, no real name recognition on the East Coast, and he won the ECW crowd over almost instantly, which is kind of a miracle, considering his look. Jericho probably could have got some old fashioned Philly "pretty boy" hate, but he was legit over during his brief spell, and his Four Way match at Heatwave '96 is one of the greatest ECW matches ever.

$

Comment

I've tried posting first in these because I figured [MENTION=105216]Kilgore[/MENTION] would beat me to most of my points if I didn't. I was not wrong.

"SUPERSTAR" Steve Austin- My #50 was reserved for The Extreme Superstar from the get go. Not sure he gets there without being arguably the biggest star of all time but screw it. It's my list and I'll vote how I want to. He was only with the company for a few months, and only wrestled two matches, neither of which I was wild about, but he absolutely killed it as a sports entertainer/promo guy. I can say with extreme confidence that Austin would have been my favorite wrestler in late '95 ECW had I been watching in real time and I'd have been even more excited about The Ringmaster than I already was. Kilgore beat me to the "Austin as world champion" story but now I want to book a theoretical 6-12 month Austin ECW run. A returning Douglas as the conquering hero seems like the obvious choice to dethrone the Extreme Superstar. Of course then we likely lose out on Raven's awesome run. So maybe some things are better left unchanged?

Little Guido- I realized last night that I was coming across as rather negative on a lot of these competitors. Well, buckle up because grumpy Baker is here again. Was never a Guido fan. The FBI gimmick was played out the second my paisan JT Smith left. Hard to believe they kept that stupid hyper local gimmick (South Philly had a large Italian community) going for over four more years. I never found Guido all that amusing and couldn't take him seriously when he tried portraying a more a serious character. Best thing he ever did was make the sign of the cross in the midst of an Undertaker Last Ride which, admittedly, would be the best thing most wrestlers ever did. Still, he had longevity and carved out a nice niche for himself on the undercard. #38 on my list.

Chris Benoit- #40 on my list. While his run wasn't as memorable as that of his contemporaries, Benoit did make an impact on the company. Hell, he seemed like their Next Big Thing after Double Tables. First he beat Snow in a technical match I've always viewed as a precursor to the more famous Malenko/Guerrero series. Then he top rope powerbombed Rocco Rock onto Sabu who was on a table. That had to be the damnedest thing most wrestling fans had ever seen in February 1995. Then Benoit, Mr. Chatty, cut a legit 15 minute promo in a dark room to end the tape. As with Austin, I once saw a Heyman shoot (pre-murders, I'm sure) where Paul E. said he planned on making Benoit champ but there were either Visa problems or NJPW schedule problems. Heyman is obviously a bullshit artist extraordinaire but it's easy to believe his claims after watching Double Tables (aka: The Chris Benoit Show). Oh, and the Malenko/Benoit team is easily the most notable act to get no votes. Forgot to mention them in that earlier post. They were a late cut for me. Really liked the match/feud they had with Sabu & Tasmaniac.

911- #39 on my list. Kilgore beat me to the beauty of 911 finishing above Benoit (and Steve Austin!). He only did one thing but he did it awesomely. Getting 911 massively over as the one move mascot of ECW may be Heyman's greatest booking accomplishment. 911 finally chokeslamming Fonzie during all the chaos in the epic Raven & Richards vs. Pitbulls match is an iconic ECW moment. Rey & 911 was such a great one off odd couple tag team. Kilgore asks an interesting question about the "911 of the territories." I got nothing. Think the concept of 911 is a Heyman original. Paul E. would later use Taz, Sandman & New Jack occasionally in the 911 role while Boogeyman in 2005 OVW was pretty much a straight 911 clone.

Chris Jericho- #41 on my list. Kilgore beat me to the punch on pretty boy Jericho (surprisingly) winning over the tough Philly crowd. I think his whole "Last Survivor of the Hart Dungeon" shtick helped with that. More Heyman brilliance. Jericho was the latest in a long line of workrate guys in for 6 months before moving on to bigger things. Pinned Cactus Jack in Jack's 2nd to last night with the company. Paid his dues by getting dropped on his head by Taz a few times (one of which was replayed a ton over the years) during their short feud. Got over. Won the TV title. Had a good match with Pitbull #2 and was part of the classic TV Title 4 Way a short time later. I liked his "Lionheart" nickname and tights. Still, there was something a little too 80s babyface about ECW Jericho for me to really get behind him. He wasn't quite there yet as a complete sports entertainer either. But he certainly did make his mark on the company during his relatively brief stint.
          Last edited by Baker; 04-19-2017, 11:09 PM.

Comment

I've tried posting first in these because I figured [MENTION=105216]Kilgore[/MENTION] would beat me to most of my points if I didn't. I was not wrong.

"SUPERSTAR" Steve Austin- My #50 was reserved for The Extreme Superstar from the get go. Not sure he gets there without being arguably the biggest star of all time but screw it. It's my list and I'll vote how I want to. He was only with the company for a few months, and only wrestled two matches, neither of which I was wild about, but he absolutely killed it as a sports entertainer/promo guy. I can say with extreme confidence that Austin would have been my favorite wrestler in late '95 ECW had I been watching in real time and I'd have been even more excited about The Ringmaster than I already was. Kilgore beat me to the "Austin as world champion" story but now I want to book a theoretical 6-12 month Austin ECW run. A returning Douglas as the conquering hero seems like the obvious choice to dethrone the Extreme Superstar. Of course then we likely lose out on Raven's awesome run. So maybe some things are better left unchanged?

Little Guido- I realized last night that I was coming across as rather negative on a lot of these competitors. Well, buckle up because grumpy Baker is here again. Was never a Guido fan. The FBI gimmick was played out the second my paisan JT Smith left. Hard to believe they kept that stupid hyper local gimmick (South Philly had a large Italian community) going for over four more years. I never found Guido all that amusing and couldn't take him seriously when he tried portraying a more a serious character. Best thing he ever did was make the sign of the cross in the midst of an Undertaker Last Ride which, admittedly, would be the best thing most wrestlers ever did. Still, he had longevity and carved out a nice niche for himself on the undercard. #38 on my list.

Chris Benoit- #40 on my list. While his run wasn't as memorable as that of his contemporaries, Benoit did make an impact on the company. Hell, he seemed like their Next Big Thing after Double Tables. First he beat Snow in a technical match I've always viewed as a precursor to the more famous Malenko/Guerrero series. Then he top rope powerbombed Rocco Rock onto Sabu who was on a table. That had to be the damnedest thing most wrestling fans had ever seen in February 1995. Then Benoit, Mr. Chatty, cut a legit 15 minute promo in a dark room to end the tape. As with Austin, I once saw a Heyman shoot (pre-murders, I'm sure) where Paul E. said he planned on making Benoit champ but there were either Visa problems or NJPW schedule problems. Heyman is obviously a bullshit artist extraordinaire but it's easy to believe his claims after watching Double Tables (aka: The Chris Benoit Show). Oh, and the Malenko/Benoit team is easily the most notable act to get no votes. Forgot to mention them in that earlier post. They were a late cut for me. Really liked the match/feud they had with Sabu & Tasmaniac.

911- #39 on my list. Kilgore beat me to the beauty of 911 finishing above Benoit (and Steve Austin!). He only did one thing but he did it awesomely. Getting 911 massively over as the one move mascot of ECW may be Heyman's greatest booking accomplishment. 911 finally chokeslamming Fonzie during all the chaos in the epic Raven & Richards vs. Pitbulls match is an iconic ECW moment. Rey & 911 was such a great one off odd couple tag team. Kilgore asks an interesting question about the "911 of the territories." I got nothing. Think the concept of 911 is a Heyman original. Paul E. would later use Taz, Sandman & New Jack occasionally in the 911 role while Boogeyman in 2005 OVW was pretty much a straight 911 clone.

Chris Jericho- #41 on my list. Kilgore beat me to the punch on pretty boy Jericho (surprisingly) winning over the tough Philly crowd. I think his whole "Last Survivor of the Hart Dungeon" shtick helped with that. More Heyman brilliance. Jericho was the latest in a long line of workrate guys in for 6 months before moving on to bigger things. Pinned Cactus Jack in Jack's 2nd to last night with the company. Paid his dues by getting dropped on his head by Taz a few times (one of which was replayed a ton over the years) during their short feud. Got over. Won the TV title. Had a good match with Pitbull #2 and was part of the classic TV Title 4 Way a short time later. I liked his "Lionheart" nickname and tights. Still, there was something a little too 80s babyface about ECW Jericho for me to really get behind him. He wasn't quite there yet as a complete sports entertainer either. But he certainly did make his mark on the company during his relatively brief stint.

Comment

I voted for Austin much in the same vein as I voted for Pillman - despite short runs with the company they produced some of my favorite ECW skits/promos/moments in the companies history and that holds weight with me. I don't remember where I ranked him - it was probably too high but I based it on moments I loved from ECW (as my #1 will later prove) and Austin was great.

Jericho made my list as well , if only four that four way match. Not so hidden gem right there.

Comment

I voted for Austin much in the same vein as I voted for Pillman - despite short runs with the company they produced some of my favorite ECW skits/promos/moments in the companies history and that holds weight with me. I don't remember where I ranked him - it was probably too high but I based it on moments I loved from ECW (as my #1 will later prove) and Austin was great.

Jericho made my list as well , if only four that four way match. Not so hidden gem right there.

Comment

Steve Austin- I had him at number 30 as he was able to put both his career and character into focus in his short stay which was vital to what was to come next. His in ring appearances were fun to watch but his promo work made people take notice.

Little Guido- Played the underdog well but I submit this as my favorite Guido moment from Ultimate Jeopardy '97(apologies for the dubbed music).

Chris Benoit- Once again I don't feel comfortable putting him on any sort of greatest list but his ECW run was solid. Breaking Sabu's neck was his first claim to fame before moving onto being a member of the original Triple Threat. I still have fond memories of binge watching his ECW career on tape in late 96-early'97 with the Double Tables show and his singles and tag matches against Taz. Obviously the way his career turned out is still a too dark of a cloud to acknowledge.

911- Our resident choke slam artist gets the number 41 slot. 911 had to be original since "breaking the fourth wall" and have a wrestler do the fan's biding with the lame gimmicks was pretty avant guard. I can't imagine any booker having a 911 on their show disposing of the perceived subpar talent they recruited. Plus most bookers would want to keep the heat on the annoying heels and not have them destroyed at random. Another crazy mad scientist idea pulled off to perfection by Paul E.

Chris Jericho- He was a complete new discovery from the Hart clan when I first saw him on ECW tapes merely weeks before he jumped to WCW. I immediately latched onto the "last survivor" gimmick and he was a good worker so he was easy to like. Another factor I think is that he had extensive international experience which is always a plus to the ECW crowd after watching Malenko, Guerrero and Benoit. He had a very strong run in the TV title picture which got him to number 36 on my list. It still might hold up as the best in ring work of his career.

13. The Bad Breed
                  21. Jimmy Snuka
                  22. Don Muraco
                  26. Sabu and RVD
                  30. Steve Austin
                  34.The Impact Players
                  36. Chris Jericho
                  41. 911
                  44. Tommy Cairo
                  45. The Chair Swingin' Freaks
                  46. Chris Candido and Lance Storm
                  47. Hack Myers
                  48. Psicosis
                  49. The FBI (Tracy Smothers and Little Guido)
                  50. Nova
                  Last edited by The Icon; 04-20-2017, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Steve Austin- I had him at number 30 as he was able to put both his career and character into focus in his short stay which was vital to what was to come next. His in ring appearances were fun to watch but his promo work made people take notice.

Little Guido- Played the underdog well but I submit this as my favorite Guido moment from Ultimate Jeopardy '97(apologies for the dubbed music).

Chris Benoit- Once again I don't feel comfortable putting him on any sort of greatest list but his ECW run was solid. Breaking Sabu's neck was his first claim to fame before moving onto being a member of the original Triple Threat. I still have fond memories of binge watching his ECW career on tape in late 96-early'97 with the Double Tables show and his singles and tag matches against Taz. Obviously the way his career turned out is still a too dark of a cloud to acknowledge.

911- Our resident choke slam artist gets the number 41 slot. 911 had to be original since "breaking the fourth wall" and have a wrestler do the fan's biding with the lame gimmicks was pretty avant guard. I can't imagine any booker having a 911 on their show disposing of the perceived subpar talent they recruited. Plus most bookers would want to keep the heat on the annoying heels and not have them destroyed at random. Another crazy mad scientist idea pulled off to perfection by Paul E.

Chris Jericho- He was a complete new discovery from the Hart clan when I first saw him on ECW tapes merely weeks before he jumped to WCW. I immediately latched onto the "last survivor" gimmick and he was a good worker so he was easy to like. Another factor I think is that he had extensive international experience which is always a plus to the ECW crowd after watching Malenko, Guerrero and Benoit. He had a very strong run in the TV title picture which got him to number 36 on my list. It still might hold up as the best in ring work of his career.

13. The Bad Breed
                    21. Jimmy Snuka
                    22. Don Muraco
                    26. Sabu and RVD
                    30. Steve Austin
                    34.The Impact Players
                    36. Chris Jericho
                    41. 911
                    44. Tommy Cairo
                    47. Hack Myers
                    48. Psicosis
                    50. Nova

Comment

• Re: ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

11 Votes-161 Points
                      Al Snow

10 Votes-204 Points
                      Chris Candido

10 Votes-205 Points
                      Rey Mysterio Jr.

8 Votes-206 Points
                      The Gangstas

10 Votes-207 Points
                      Justin Credible

Comment

11 Votes-161 Points
                        Al Snow

10 Votes-204 Points
                        Chris Candido

10 Votes-205 Points
                        Rey Mysterio Jr.

8 Votes-206 Points
                        The Gangstas

10 Votes-207 Points
                        Justin Credible

Comment

Al Snow- After seeing bits and pieces of his run as a New Rocker Al Snow was a bit of a revelation when I was catching up on what I missed from 1994/95 in ECW. His match against Benoit from Double Tables made me view him in a different light from the goof ball I saw in WWF. I was lukewarm on his return in 1997 as his Head/J.O.B squad storyline was good comedy but he just wasn't getting it done in the ring stinking it up with Shane Douglas most notably at Living Dangerously. Still though he got to number 43 on my list even though his stays in ECW were inconsistent.

Chris Candido- Number 34 on my list, Candido was a good foot soldier for ECW dating back to his days in the Suicide Blonds stable in 1993. I was more familiar with his "no gimmicks required" period when he was feuding then teaming with Lance Storm. He also seemed like a guy that the ECW faithful would rag on but his in ring skill made up for his pretty boy look and WWF stink, plus he had Sunny.

Rey Mysterio- I had already broke my cherry with Rey seeing his WCW debut before I got to his ECW work. It was more of the same though as he was blowing the minds of the fans at The Arena. He added another dimension to the ECW product providing innovative in ring work which made ECW the must watch independent. This got him to number 19 on my list.

The Gangstas- They deserve a much higher ranking but it is hard to recover from one half of your team acting like a surgeon in the ring at times and being mostly despised as an individual. The Gangstas were another vital element in making ECW stand out to me with Natural Born Killas playing during their matches and immediately cutting to the chase with the weapons to go with the nature of their promos. They along with Raven were the most "of the times" acts in wrestling in 1995/96 and I think they related to a lot of the audience which added to ECW's popularity Their feud with the Eliminators is still one of the most enjoyable feuds in ECW history and is mayhem personfied. They were a must for my top 10 reaching number 9.

Justin Credible- For many probably the worst ECW champion in history. He did make things work with Lance Storm however and wasn't annoying for his whole relatively lengthy tenure so he got to number 39 on my list. Plus I still use his name as a bad pun to this day.

9. The Gangstas
                          13. The Bad Breed
                          19. Rey Mysterio
                          21. Jimmy Snuka
                          22. Don Muraco
                          26. Sabu and RVD
                          30. Steve Austin
                          34. Chris Candido
                          35. The Impact Players
                          36. Chris Jericho
                          39. Justin Credible
                          41. 911
                          43. Al Snow
                          44. Tommy Cairo
                          47. Hack Myers
                          48. Psicosis
                          50. Nova

Comment

Al Snow- After seeing bits and pieces of his run as a New Rocker Al Snow was a bit of a revelation when I was catching up on what I missed from 1994/95 in ECW. His match against Benoit from Double Tables made me view him in a different light from the goof ball I saw in WWF. I was lukewarm on his return in 1997 as his Head/J.O.B squad storyline was good comedy but he just wasn't getting it done in the ring stinking it up with Shane Douglas most notably at Living Dangerously. Still though he got to number 43 on my list even though his stays in ECW were inconsistent.

Chris Candido- Number 34 on my list, Candido was a good foot soldier for ECW dating back to his days in the Suicide Blonds stable in 1993. I was more familiar with his "no gimmicks required" period when he was feuding then teaming with Lance Storm. He also seemed like a guy that the ECW faithful would rag on but his in ring skill made up for his pretty boy look and WWF stink, plus he had Sunny.

Rey Mysterio- I had already broke my cherry with Rey seeing his WCW debut before I got to his ECW work. It was more of the same though as he was blowing the minds of the fans at The Arena. He added another dimension to the ECW product providing innovative in ring work which made ECW the must watch independent. This got him to number 19 on my list.

The Gangstas- They deserve a much higher ranking but it is hard to recover from one half of your team acting like a surgeon in the ring at times and being mostly despised as an individual. The Gangstas were another vital element in making ECW stand out to me with Natural Born Killas playing during their matches and immediately cutting to the chase with the weapons to go with the nature of their promos. They along with Raven were the most "of the times" acts in wrestling in 1995/96 and I think they related to a lot of the audience which added to ECW's popularity Their feud with the Eliminators is still one of the most enjoyable feuds in ECW history and is mayhem personfied. They were a must for my top 10 reaching number 9.

Justin Credible- For many probably the worst ECW champion in history. He did make things work with Lance Storm however and wasn't annoying for his whole relatively lengthy tenure so he got to number 39 on my list. Plus I still use his name as a bad pun to this day.

9. The Gangstas
                            13. The Bad Breed
                            19. Rey Mysterio
                            21. Jimmy Snuka
                            22. Don Muraco
                            26. Sabu and RVD
                            30. Steve Austin
                            34. Chris Candido
                            35. The Impact Players
                            36. Chris Jericho
                            39. Justin Credible
                            41. 911
                            43. Al Snow
                            44. Tommy Cairo
                            47. Hack Myers
                            48. Psicosis
                            50. Nova

Comment

*Big gap between #34 & 35 while 31-34 are tightly bunched.

Al Snow- #30 on my list. Head Al Snow is one of those Brian Christopher/Disco Inferno/Hurricane deals where even I have some retroactive shame over enjoying them. At One Night Stand Joey Styles famously said something like "if ever there was a gimmick that didn't didn't deserve to draw a dime and ended up making a boatload of money it's the Blue World Order." I disagree. Al Snow w/ Head was far dumber than the awesome BWO. I mean it was just the dumbest thing, and Al Snow wasn't funny in the role, but, to my everlasting shame, I was right there leading the cheers. In fact, he was my favorite ECW wrestler for a few months. See, Snow became one of my guys as Leif Cassidy in 1996 WWF where he was actually funny, and did a bunch of cool moves, but bottom of the barrel when it came to push. He was basically a jobber with music. So to see one of My Guys break out in such a massive way was like a personal victory. I didn't care that the gimmick was stupid as can be. I didn't care that Snow had dropped most of the cool moves for character-based comedy brawling. I was just tickled pink over one of My Guys coming out of nowhere to make it big. He was the most popular guy in the entire company for a few months there. Snow challenging Douglas for the ECW Title surpasses even Taz/Douglas when it comes to the ECW matches I was mostly looking forward to seeing in real time. I, like everybody in the building, was gutted when Snow lost. He left the company a few days later and I soon grew tired of him. Credit to Heyman for the visual brilliance created by handing out all those mannequin heads to the rabid ECW faithful. Snow also had a stellar ECW match w/ Benoit in his early pre-Head, even pre-Leif, days. And wearing that goofy New Rockers gear in ECW took some balls.

Chris Candido- #24 on my list which is probably too high. Think I was actually the high voter for him which is weird considering I was never a fan. It took until his 2005 TNA run to finally shake off the stench of Skip as far as I was concerned. But Candido was a solid midcard hand that stuck around for a pretty long time and he was a decent enough Tully Blanchard to Shane's Ric Flair.

Rey Mysterio Jr.- #43 on my list. Only wrestled 9 matches for the company but most of them were innovative & spectacular. The original Psicosis matches ended up being hugely influential and deserve much of the credit for introducing Lucha-style wrestling to America. Those along with the Juvy match I've seen in full were still great when I finally got around to watching them in 1998, by which time I had become at least slightly desensitized to crazy high flying cruiserweight wrestling. I can only imagine how mind-blowing they would have been had I watched them when they originally happened. That was like wrestling from another planet compared to standard 95-early 96 mainstream US wrestling fare. Plus Rey's one off team w/ 911 is one of the better odd couple pairings I've seen. It's a shame we never got the teased Taz/Rey match. That would have been amazing.

The Gangstas- #27 on my list. I'm much more of a New Jack singles fan, and not much of a Gangstas fan to be honest, but they were hugely over during their entire run. They made an immediate impact by feuding with ECW's top team Public Enemy. Their bloody matches got a lot of Apter Mag attention and even some non-wrestling notice due to Weezer. The 1996 ECW tag division was pretty much Eliminators vs. Gangstas in brawls all year long w/ random teams occasionally mixed in for 3 & 4 ways. Think they were my #4 ranked ECW team which seems about right.

Justin Credible- #18 on my list. It's no secret that I'm not a Credible fan but he was a big part of the promotion for pretty much his entire run and the top heel in the company for a while. His push was ridiculous. Won a feud over Triple Crown winner Mikey. Beat, and kayfabe injured, smark darling Great Sasuke. Won a feud over then-similarly tiered guy Jerry Lynn. Got the insta-heat by interrupting the 10 bell salute for Dreamer's grandfather and feuding with the popular Tom Tom on & off for years. Was credited with running Sandman out of the company and got the rub of being the new Singapore Cane guy. Turned Douglas face (which actually had me kinda sorta rooting for Douglas!). Beat Sabu at Anarchy Rulz when wrestling logic dictated that would be Sabu's big comeback win. Ended Tommy Dreamer's feel good title win in a matter of minutes. That's just an insane push. Only held the ECW Title for a little over 5 months. It felt more like 5 years. Throw in the fact that he was Aldo f'n Montoya glomming off more popular wrestlers (Raven's attire, Sandman's cane, DX taunts & moves, Undertaker's finisher, Austin's shaved head & goatee, etc.) and he was pretty much the worst. BUT a heavily pushed/important "worst."

*Probably won't be dropping another 5 tonight. Gonna be busy and this will give people a chance to catch up.
                              Last edited by Baker; 04-22-2017, 12:19 AM.

Comment

*Big gap between #34 & 35 while 31-34 are tightly bunched.

Al Snow- #30 on my list. Head Al Snow is one of those Brian Christopher/Disco Inferno/Hurricane deals where even I have some retroactive shame over enjoying them. At One Night Stand Joey Styles famously said something like "if ever there was a gimmick that didn't didn't deserve to draw a dime and ended up making a boatload of money it's the Blue World Order." I disagree. Al Snow w/ Head was far dumber than the awesome BWO. I mean it was just the dumbest thing, and Al Snow wasn't funny in the role, but, to my everlasting shame, I was right there leading the cheers. In fact, he was my favorite ECW wrestler for a few months. See, Snow became one of my guys as Leif Cassidy in 1996 WWF where he was actually funny, and did a bunch of cool moves, but bottom of the barrel when it came to push. He was basically a jobber with music. So to see one of My Guys break out in such a massive way was like a personal victory. I didn't care that the gimmick was stupid as can be. I didn't care that Snow had dropped most of the cool moves for character-based comedy brawling. I was just tickled pink over one of My Guys coming out of nowhere to make it big. He was the most popular guy in the entire company for a few months there. Snow challenging Douglas for the ECW Title surpasses even Taz/Douglas when it comes to the ECW matches I was mostly looking forward to seeing in real time. I, like everybody in the building, was gutted when Snow lost. He left the company a few days later and I soon grew tired of him. Credit to Heyman for the visual brilliance created by handing out all those mannequin heads to the rabid ECW faithful. Snow also had a stellar ECW match w/ Benoit in his early pre-Head, even pre-Leif, days. And wearing that goofy New Rockers gear in ECW took some balls.

Chris Candido- #24 on my list which is probably too high. Think I was actually the high voter for him which is weird considering I was never a fan. It took until his 2005 TNA run to finally shake off the stench of Skip as far as I was concerned. But Candido was a solid midcard hand that stuck around for a pretty long time and he was a decent enough Tully Blanchard to Shane's Ric Flair.

Rey Mysterio Jr.- #43 on my list. Only wrestled 9 matches for the company but most of them were innovative & spectacular. The original Psicosis matches ended up being hugely influential and deserve much of the credit for introducing Lucha-style wrestling to America. Those along with the Juvy match I've seen in full were still great when I finally got around to watching them in 1998, by which time I had become at least slightly desensitized to crazy high flying cruiserweight wrestling. I can only imagine how mind-blowing they would have been had I watched them when they originally happened. That was like wrestling from another planet compared to standard 95-early 96 mainstream US wrestling fare. Plus Rey's one off team w/ 911 is one of the better odd couple pairings I've seen. It's a shame we never got the teased Taz/Rey match. That would have been amazing.

The Gangstas- #27 on my list. I'm much more of a New Jack singles fan, and not much of a Gangstas fan to be honest, but they were hugely over during their entire run. They made an immediate impact by feuding with ECW's top team Public Enemy. Their bloody matches got a lot of Apter Mag attention and even some non-wrestling notice due to Weezer. The 1996 ECW tag division was pretty much Eliminators vs. Gangstas in brawls all year long w/ random teams occasionally mixed in for 3 & 4 ways. Think they were my #4 ranked ECW team which seems about right.

Justin Credible- #18 on my list. It's no secret that I'm not a Credible fan but he was a big part of the promotion for pretty much his entire run and the top heel in the company for a while. His push was ridiculous. Won a feud over Triple Crown winner Mikey. Beat, and kayfabe injured, smark darling Great Sasuke. Won a feud over then-similarly tiered guy Jerry Lynn. Got the insta-heat by interrupting the 10 bell salute for Dreamer's grandfather and feuding with the popular Tom Tom on & off for years. Was credited with running Sandman out of the company and got the rub of being the new Singapore Cane guy. Turned Douglas face (which actually had me kinda sorta rooting for Douglas!). Beat Sabu at Anarchy Rulz when wrestling logic dictated that would be Sabu's big comeback win. Ended Tommy Dreamer's feel good title win in a matter of minutes. That's just an insane push. Only held the ECW Title for a little over 5 months. It felt more like 5 years. Throw in the fact that he was Aldo f'n Montoya glomming off more popular wrestlers (Raven's attire, Sandman's cane, DX taunts & moves, Undertaker's finisher, Austin's shaved head & goatee, etc.) and he was pretty much the worst. BUT a heavily pushed/important "worst."

*Probably won't be dropping another 5 tonight. Gonna be busy and this will give people a chance to catch up.

Comment

Working...
                                X