ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

I originally had Eddie Gilbert much higher on my list, the first list I sent Baker was missing 2 guys, not only did I make room for those guys on my new list but I carefully went through and really put some more thought into the rankings and ended up shuffling things around quite a bit. The reason why I originally had Eddie Gilbert so high was just for how important he was in ECW being set on it's path, while Snuka and Moracco were the OG's, Eddie set ECW on the path like a paper boat on a stream of fucking blood and sleaze. His feud with Cactus in Tri States was like a precursor to ECW. Its a shame they didn't get to lock horns in ECW at least once. Just imagine if Eddie stuck around for just a little while longer and been in the middle of the whole Cactus/Sandman/Funk/Douglas feud in 95. He was hokey older school wrestling, the kind that ECW was moving away from, but I kinda think ECW would have only benefited from keeping him around through 94-95 at least. I had to drop him down on my new list because he really only had a short time in ECW, a few months in 93, but in that span he brought in Heyman, Shane Douglas, and headlined the company with the feud with Funk producing some of the best matches in ECW that year(not saying much).

Psicosis and Juvy were two guys I didn't think about listing because they only wrestled a few times. Those matches are some of my favorite ECW matches but just not enough of them for them to get in over some other guys. I wish so hard that those guys would have stayed in ECW longer, I even pushed the hell out of both of them in my ECW 2002 fan fiction to the point where they were headlining shows.

Kid Kash was from my list, even though I hated the Kid Rock style thing he had going on he was one of the best guys in ECW there at the end. I liked him.

Surprised to see Brian Lee so high but he did have some really good brawls with Funk and Dreamer. Definitely one of those guys that Heyman got the most out of with good booking, hiding his weaknesses and emphasizing his strengths, using him just enough and at just the right times in just the right ways to where he fit in well after a few months.

Never thought about ranking Saturn as a singles guy. I decided I wasn't going to double dip, I wanted to try to either list them as singles or go with their tag team, I made a few exceptions though. I'd agree that Kronus should probably be higher but I can understand why people would rank it the other way, Saturn was clearly the star of the Eliminators. I remember seeing Saturn vs Sabu advertised for house shows when I watched through the old tapes a while back, never did see them ever wrestle. Saturn and New Jack always had good chemistry when brawling in those matches, they made good rivals.

I watched some of Snuka's earliest work in ECW from 92 and it wasn't good. He was the OG though, I give him credit for that even though I can't look at the guy the same anymore after reading about how he got away with murdering some girl.

32. Doring & Roadkill
    36. Pit Bull 2
    40. Nova
    41. The Unholy Alliance Mikey Whipreck & Yoshihiro Tajiri
    43. Eddie Gilbert
    46. Kid Kash
    47. Jazz
    50. Hack Myers

Comment

I originally had Eddie Gilbert much higher on my list, the first list I sent Baker was missing 2 guys, not only did I make room for those guys on my new list but I carefully went through and really put some more thought into the rankings and ended up shuffling things around quite a bit. The reason why I originally had Eddie Gilbert so high was just for how important he was in ECW being set on it's path, while Snuka and Moracco were the OG's, Eddie set ECW on the path like a paper boat on a stream of fucking blood and sleaze. His feud with Cactus in Tri States was like a precursor to ECW. Its a shame they didn't get to lock horns in ECW at least once. Just imagine if Eddie stuck around for just a little while longer and been in the middle of the whole Cactus/Sandman/Funk/Douglas feud in 95. He was hokey older school wrestling, the kind that ECW was moving away from, but I kinda think ECW would have only benefited from keeping him around through 94-95 at least. I had to drop him down on my new list because he really only had a short time in ECW, a few months in 93, but in that span he brought in Heyman, Shane Douglas, and headlined the company with the feud with Funk producing some of the best matches in ECW that year(not saying much).

Psicosis and Juvy were two guys I didn't think about listing because they only wrestled a few times. Those matches are some of my favorite ECW matches but just not enough of them for them to get in over some other guys. I wish so hard that those guys would have stayed in ECW longer, I even pushed the hell out of both of them in my ECW 2002 fan fiction to the point where they were headlining shows.

Kid Kash was from my list, even though I hated the Kid Rock style thing he had going on he was one of the best guys in ECW there at the end. I liked him.

Surprised to see Brian Lee so high but he did have some really good brawls with Funk and Dreamer. Definitely one of those guys that Heyman got the most out of with good booking, hiding his weaknesses and emphasizing his strengths, using him just enough and at just the right times in just the right ways to where he fit in well after a few months.

Never thought about ranking Saturn as a singles guy. I decided I wasn't going to double dip, I wanted to try to either list them as singles or go with their tag team, I made a few exceptions though. I'd agree that Kronus should probably be higher but I can understand why people would rank it the other way, Saturn was clearly the star of the Eliminators. I remember seeing Saturn vs Sabu advertised for house shows when I watched through the old tapes a while back, never did see them ever wrestle. Saturn and New Jack always had good chemistry when brawling in those matches, they made good rivals.

I watched some of Snuka's earliest work in ECW from 92 and it wasn't good. He was the OG though, I give him credit for that even though I can't look at the guy the same anymore after reading about how he got away with murdering some girl.

32. Doring & Roadkill
      36. Pit Bull 2
      40. Nova
      41. The Unholy Alliance Mikey Whipreck & Yoshihiro Tajiri
      43. Eddie Gilbert
      46. Kid Kash
      47. Jazz
      50. Hack Myers

Comment

Brian Lee: Perfect Paul E. booking as the evil 911, basically. Hired gun who chokeslammed the shit out of fan favorites, and Tommy Dreamer from every elevated surface in the ECW Arena. I'm going to be extra nice to Brian Lee and give him a lot of credit for moving some video tapes, as Extreme Warfare Volume 2 was probably one of the best selling tapes ever, judging by the amount of times it was advertised.

Kid Kash: One of the standouts of latter day ECW. Loved the big air springboard somersault plancha onto the floor.

Psicosis: Just like Malenko-Guerrero will be rightfully rewarded at higher rankings, Psicosis was one half of the lucha answer after WCW signed Malenko-Guerrero. I imagine WCW would have signed Psicosis and Rey eventually, but would it have been as quickly without Extreme Lucha Libra?

Perry Saturn: I echo the curiosity of what a Saturn singles run would have looked like in ECW. That's one of my bigger curiosities actually. The Eliminators were one of the great Tag Teams in ECW, and Saturn seemed to direct the entirety of the success, being the standout in the team, while also literally directing Kronus while he did his thing. Even though Kronus stuck around longer, it wasn't good, so I think Saturn is rightfully ahead of him.

Jimmy Snuka: Along with Muraco, kept ECW afloat, and was the first legend to give Tommy Dreamer the rub he so desperately needed. Also didn't murder anybody while in ECW.

RVD & Sabu: I have no inside information on the countdown finish, but I'm going to assume these two are #1 and #2 in some order, so we might have a tag team of the two best ECW wrestlers of all time. That's fucking awesome. It'd be like if Austin and Rock were also a consistent tag team from 1998-2001. Yet, I didn't vote for them. I think it's because they often played the reluctant tag team, so it always felt more like a superteam to me, than an honest to goodness tag team. This is probably stupid, but even a tag team name goes a long way. Sabu & RVD, two dudes tagging. Rolling Thunder, that would be a goddamned tag team. Either way, I got no problems seeing these two ranked multiple times. They're so fuckng awesome, and were involved in some very good tag matches together.

Impact Players: I ranked the Impact Players ahead of Lance and Justin as singles wrestlers. I think it was, by far, the best period of both their ECW runs.

Brian Fucking Pillman: Shocker, I did not vote for BFP. I see his being considered a wrestler a bit of a loophole, since he was borrowed from WCW once in 1994 as a fill in for Steve Austin. The run people love was 1996, and he didn't wrestle. He just used babies as human shields and threatened use the ECW ring as a urinal, which honestly, was probably cooler than any match he could have had. I'm not going to protest the ranking, though.

Bad Breed: I basically used Bad Breed as a cheat to get Ian and Axl both on my list using one slot. The tag team was useful in ECW, as Balls & Axl were essentially the same thing years later, but it's the 1995 feud against each other that really stands out. Bad Breed Explode!

Axl Rotten: ECW needed guys like Axl. Part of being the alternative is hiring people that WWF/WCW would have had no interest in, and letting them do their thing. Axl's was hitting people with chairs and bleeding like a stuffed pig, so his thing was pretty fucking awesome by mid-90's standards. When you think of WWF/WCW in 1995/1996, the Nasty Boys were the closest thing to Axl Rotten, and that's like the mall version of Axl. For what that was, Axl was the real deal.

$

Comment

Brian Lee: Perfect Paul E. booking as the evil 911, basically. Hired gun who chokeslammed the shit out of fan favorites, and Tommy Dreamer from every elevated surface in the ECW Arena. I'm going to be extra nice to Brian Lee and give him a lot of credit for moving some video tapes, as Extreme Warfare Volume 2 was probably one of the best selling tapes ever, judging by the amount of times it was advertised.

Kid Kash: One of the standouts of latter day ECW. Loved the big air springboard somersault plancha onto the floor.

Psicosis: Just like Malenko-Guerrero will be rightfully rewarded at higher rankings, Psicosis was one half of the lucha answer after WCW signed Malenko-Guerrero. I imagine WCW would have signed Psicosis and Rey eventually, but would it have been as quickly without Extreme Lucha Libra?

Perry Saturn: I echo the curiosity of what a Saturn singles run would have looked like in ECW. That's one of my bigger curiosities actually. The Eliminators were one of the great Tag Teams in ECW, and Saturn seemed to direct the entirety of the success, being the standout in the team, while also literally directing Kronus while he did his thing. Even though Kronus stuck around longer, it wasn't good, so I think Saturn is rightfully ahead of him.

Jimmy Snuka: Along with Muraco, kept ECW afloat, and was the first legend to give Tommy Dreamer the rub he so desperately needed. Also didn't murder anybody while in ECW.

RVD & Sabu: I have no inside information on the countdown finish, but I'm going to assume these two are #1 and #2 in some order, so we might have a tag team of the two best ECW wrestlers of all time. That's fucking awesome. It'd be like if Austin and Rock were also a consistent tag team from 1998-2001. Yet, I didn't vote for them. I think it's because they often played the reluctant tag team, so it always felt more like a superteam to me, than an honest to goodness tag team. This is probably stupid, but even a tag team name goes a long way. Sabu & RVD, two dudes tagging. Rolling Thunder, that would be a goddamned tag team. Either way, I got no problems seeing these two ranked multiple times. They're so fuckng awesome, and were involved in some very good tag matches together.

Impact Players: I ranked the Impact Players ahead of Lance and Justin as singles wrestlers. I think it was, by far, the best period of both their ECW runs.

Brian Fucking Pillman: Shocker, I did not vote for BFP. I see his being considered a wrestler a bit of a loophole, since he was borrowed from WCW once in 1994 as a fill in for Steve Austin. The run people love was 1996, and he didn't wrestle. He just used babies as human shields and threatened use the ECW ring as a urinal, which honestly, was probably cooler than any match he could have had. I'm not going to protest the ranking, though.

Bad Breed: I basically used Bad Breed as a cheat to get Ian and Axl both on my list using one slot. The tag team was useful in ECW, as Balls & Axl were essentially the same thing years later, but it's the 1995 feud against each other that really stands out. Bad Breed Explode!

Axl Rotten: ECW needed guys like Axl. Part of being the alternative is hiring people that WWF/WCW would have had no interest in, and letting them do their thing. Axl's was hitting people with chairs and bleeding like a stuffed pig, so his thing was pretty fucking awesome by mid-90's standards. When you think of WWF/WCW in 1995/1996, the Nasty Boys were the closest thing to Axl Rotten, and that's like the mall version of Axl. For what that was, Axl was the real deal.

$

Comment

Kid Kash made my list - there is no way he couldn't as I was a huge mark of him in the later days of ECW. I still hold a soft spot in my wrestling heart for Kash.

Pillman made my list as well despite the obvious short stay in the company. Pillman is one of my all time favorites and the few things he did do in the company were better than so much of the other stuff I can remember so he was a must have on my list.

Comment

Kid Kash made my list - there is no way he couldn't as I was a huge mark of him in the later days of ECW. I still hold a soft spot in my wrestling heart for Kash.

Pillman made my list as well despite the obvious short stay in the company. Pillman is one of my all time favorites and the few things he did do in the company were better than so much of the other stuff I can remember so he was a must have on my list.

Comment

I fell into this late. But I am hoping to see Jerry Lynn make the cut.
                I am your God

Comment

I fell into this late. But I am hoping to see Jerry Lynn make the cut.
                  I am your God

Comment

Axl #16- Drank many a brew with him, charisma out the ass-a journeyman who bled like a main-eventer RIP.

Pillman #37- Like Rude -enflamed by not 'rassling-why bleed when you're a STAR!
                    Last edited by Fezz; 04-19-2017, 01:45 PM.
                    "Don't break the Kayfabe"

Comment

Axl #16- Drank many a brew with him, charisma out the ass-a journeyman who bled like a main-eventer RIP.

Pillman #37- Like Rude -enflamed by not 'rassling-why bleed when you're a STAR!
                      "Don't break the Kayfabe"

Comment

Sabu and RVD- I had them at 26, they were the odd couple of ECW but were so good in ring wise/ECW icons I had to put them on my list. You could also say they were ECW's "Megapowers."

The Impact Players- They come in at 34 on my list. I agree that this was the best we saw of Justin Credible but out of respect to Lance Storm's longevity I put him a few places higher. They were good fodder for RVD/Sabu and RVD and Jerry Lynn.

Brian Pillman- Also didn't make my list but he did have consideration as a non-wrestler for his infamous Cyberslam 1996 appearance. Still wish we could have seen more of the "Loose Cannon" in ECW, the possibilities were endless.

Axl Rotten/The Bad Breed- I still have no shame placing them at 13 on my list. It was basically a way to pay tribute to their feud which as Baker said was all over the magazines. Seeing barbed wire baseball bats and taped fists with glass in a wrestling ring was alien to me and it put over the real danger element of ECW. Axl was the workhorse though and his place on the list is well deserved, RIP.

13. The Bad Breed
                        21. Jimmy Snuka
                        22. Don Muraco
                        26. Sabu and RVD
                        34.The Impact Players
                        44. Tommy Cairo
                        45. The Chair Swingin' Freaks
                        46. Chris Candido and Lance Storm
                        47. Hack Myers
                        48. Psicosis
                        49. The FBI (Tracy Smothers and Little Guido)
                        50. Nova

Comment

Sabu and RVD- I had them at 26, they were the odd couple of ECW but were so good in ring wise/ECW icons I had to put them on my list. You could also say they were ECW's "Megapowers."

The Impact Players- They come in at 34 on my list. I agree that this was the best we saw of Justin Credible but out of respect to Lance Storm's longevity I put him a few places higher. They were good fodder for RVD/Sabu and RVD and Jerry Lynn.

Brian Pillman- Also didn't make my list but he did have consideration as a non-wrestler for his infamous Cyberslam 1996 appearance. Still wish we could have seen more of the "Loose Cannon" in ECW, the possibilities were endless.

Axl Rotten/The Bad Breed- I still have no shame placing them at 13 on my list. It was basically a way to pay tribute to their feud which as Baker said was all over the magazines. Seeing barbed wire baseball bats and taped fists with glass in a wrestling ring was alien to me and it put over the real danger element of ECW. Axl was the workhorse though and his place on the list is well deserved, RIP.

13. The Bad Breed
                          21. Jimmy Snuka
                          22. Don Muraco
                          26. Sabu and RVD
                          34.The Impact Players
                          44. Tommy Cairo
                          45. The Chair Swingin' Freaks
                          46. Chris Candido and Lance Storm
                          47. Hack Myers
                          48. Psicosis
                          49. The FBI (Tracy Smothers and Little Guido)
                          50. Nova

Comment

Sabu and Van Dam felt like a real tag team instead of two singles guys to me because of their amazing double team moves. lots of great matches. in terms of ECW only, they'd probably be my #2 favorite tag team after Eliminators. loved the promos with stoned rvd. Bad Breed's matches with the Pitbulls were actually really fun. I've heard complaints about Ian not respecting the business and blatantly blading in front of people, but Axl was a lot better in the ring than people credit him for.

Comment

Sabu and Van Dam felt like a real tag team instead of two singles guys to me because of their amazing double team moves. lots of great matches. in terms of ECW only, they'd probably be my #2 favorite tag team after Eliminators. loved the promos with stoned rvd. Bad Breed's matches with the Pitbulls were actually really fun. I've heard complaints about Ian not respecting the business and blatantly blading in front of people, but Axl was a lot better in the ring than people credit him for.

Comment

8 Votes-111 Points
                                Steve Austin

8 Votes-126 Points
                                Little Guido

7 Votes-133 Points
                                Chris Benoit

9 Votes-135 Points

10 Votes-154 Points
                                Chris Jericho

Comment