ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

It ain't easy to find decent ECW pics nowadays.

Brian Lee at #46 was the only one from this batch to make my list (Kash & Psicosis would have made a Top 55). He was a perfectly acceptable big goon for Raven and then Douglas. Famously threw Tommy Dreamer from high places. The Barely Legal swerve with Rude & Douglas was really cool. "Prime Time" is an all time great nickname. Also gets some bonus points for completely changing his look to fit in with ECW. Looks like a totally different dude than the 3rd rate Hogan wannabe he portrayed in early SMW.

Kid Kash- A late cut. My cousin & I were early Kash fans due to being amused by the goofy "man of many names" gimmick he had during his cup of coffee with the company in '96. Pretty sure we were the only ones in the building cheering when he made his 1999 comeback at The Arena against Uganda (remember him?). His lack of character meant I couldn't get too behind him but he was still one of the better guys in latter day ECW. That little "Master of the Frankensteiner" thing he had going on was pretty cool. Also recently watched a really good match he had with EZ Money on one of the last ECW pay per views. Fwiw TNA Kash is the best Kash.

Psicosis- Another late cut. Brought his worldwide feud with Rey Mysterio to ECW which went a long way towards popularizing Lucha/Cruiserweight wrestling here in the states. Also saw him have a really good match at The Arena with Tajiri during his brief 2000 return.

Perry Saturn- I'll save my paean to the Eliminators for later. While we all know Saturn was the best Eliminator, and aspiring to be a cross between Sabu & Taz is a stellar way to approach wrestling, I would actually rate Kronus higher on this list simply due to Kronus having more ECW longevity. Anybody ever see any of the Sabu/Saturn ECW matches? This clique called The Extremists who used to travel up to PA for ECW shows and call my local wrestling radio show with reports couldn't stop raving about one of them back in the day.

Jimmy Snuka- Another legend brought into early ECW to give them some street cred. Don't know much about his ECW run other than Dreamer (allegedly) being the first man to kick out of the Superfly Splash which was a really big deal in ECW lore.

Comment

Perry Saturn- I'll save my paean to the Eliminators for later. While we all know Saturn was the best Eliminator, and aspiring to be a cross between Sabu & Taz is a stellar way to approach wrestling, I would actually rate Kronus higher on this list simply due to Kronus having more ECW longevity. Anybody ever see any of the Sabu/Saturn ECW matches? This clique called The Extremists who used to travel up to PA for ECW shows and call my local wrestling radio show with reports couldn't stop raving about one of them back in the day.

fuck i always show up to late for these. i would've given a vote to el puerto ricano for being insane and mabye gary wolfe for his singles push in the eastern days and his i quit match with shane. Sabu and Saturn tore it up at a show i went to in Mass. crazy shit.

Comment

fuck i always show up to late for these. i would've given a vote to el puerto ricano for being insane and mabye gary wolfe for his singles push in the eastern days and his i quit match with shane. Sabu and Saturn tore it up at a show i went to in Mass. crazy shit.

Comment

Psicosis- He was number 48 on my list and maybe should have been higher since he played an equal part in popularizing Lucha in ECW. His matches with Rey added even more variety to the melting pot and only made ECW that much more unique. I also have to give credit for some of the sick bumps he took. Launching himself 3 rows deep for a somersault plancha in the 2/3 falls match with Rey is an unforgettable moment.

Kid Kash- I viewed him as Benoit light which is still a pretty good label to have. Solid technician with good intensity but I can only have 50 names so he fell by the wayside. I also enjoyed his mini-feud with Super Crazy in late 1999.

Brian Lee- I give him credit for being able to portray a variety of characters through his career. He found himself in ECW though being able to just let loose with the hardcore gimmicks. Tossing Tommy Dreamer off the scaffold and choke slamming him through multiple tables certainly rate as signature moments. He really wasn't around for very long so I decided not to put him on my list.

Perry Saturn- The straw that stirred the drink for the Eliminators, I was an instant fan of his hybrid offense. I was hoping eventually he would break out into singles but WCW scooped him up before that could happen. He would have been a great opponent for Taz, RVD and Sabu.

Jimmy Snuka- I couldn't really separate him from Muraco so he gets the 21 spot on my list. It was a coup for ECW to bring in one of the most popular wrestlers in the Northeast and rehash his most famous feud. It also is a testament to Snuka's popularity that a decade past his prime you could still build a credible promotion around him.
          21. Jimmy Snuka
          22. Don Muraco
          44. Tommy Cairo
          45. The Chair Swingin' Freaks
          46. Chris Candido and Lance Storm
          47. Hack Myers
          48. Psicosis
          49. The FBI (Tracy Smothers and Little Guido)
          50. Nova

Originally posted by Fisto View Post
          Damn. I was trying to think of your username when I gave a shout out to Fezz. "Who was the guy with the Sandman avatar?" Sorry, should have asked the rest of the ECW crowd here I guess.
          Last edited by The Icon; 04-18-2017, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Psicosis- He was number 48 on my list and maybe should have been higher since he played an equal part in popularizing Lucha in ECW. His matches with Rey added even more variety to the melting pot and only made ECW that much more unique. I also have to give credit for some of the sick bumps he took. Launching himself 3 rows deep for a somersault plancha in the 2/3 falls match with Rey is an unforgettable moment.

Kid Kash- I viewed him as Benoit light which is still a pretty good label to have. Solid technician with good intensity but I can only have 50 names so he fell by the wayside. I also enjoyed his mini-feud with Super Crazy in late 1999.

Brian Lee- I give him credit for being able to portray a variety of characters through his career. He found himself in ECW though being able to just let loose with the hardcore gimmicks. Tossing Tommy Dreamer off the scaffold and choke slamming him through multiple tables certainly rate as signature moments. He really wasn't around for very long so I decided not to put him on my list.

Perry Saturn- The straw that stirred the drink for the Eliminators, I was an instant fan of his hybrid offense. I was hoping eventually he would break out into singles but WCW scooped him up before that could happen. He would have been a great opponent for Taz, RVD and Sabu.

Jimmy Snuka- I couldn't really separate him from Muraco so he gets the 21 spot on my list. It was a coup for ECW to bring in one of the most popular wrestlers in the Northeast and rehash his most famous feud. It also is a testament to Snuka's popularity that a decade past his prime you could still build a credible promotion around him.
            21. Jimmy Snuka
            22. Don Muraco
            44. Tommy Cairo
            45. The Chair Swingin' Freaks
            46. Chris Candido and Lance Storm
            47. Hack Myers
            48. Psicosis
            49. The FBI (Tracy Smothers and Little Guido)
            50. Nova

Originally posted by Fisto View Post
            Damn. I was trying to think of your username when I gave a shout out to Fezz. "Who was the guy with the Sandman avatar?" Sorry, should have asked the rest of the ECW crowd here I guess.

Comment

also, really surprised Blue Meanie is above JT Smith, The Shaw, Louie Louie and Pitbull #2. he was good cane fodder for the Sandman and fun to watch get beat up. the ECW fan in me has to respect someone who was willing to take those shots, and b.W.o. was fun. but other than that he was go away heat with me and Nova improved alot when he was separated from him. Blue Boy gimmick sucked to.

Comment

also, really surprised Blue Meanie is above JT Smith, The Shaw, Louie Louie and Pitbull #2. he was good cane fodder for the Sandman and fun to watch get beat up. the ECW fan in me has to respect someone who was willing to take those shots, and b.W.o. was fun. but other than that he was go away heat with me and Nova improved alot when he was separated from him. Blue Boy gimmick sucked to.

Comment

fuck yeah though Psicosis. that 2/3 falls match was on one of the earliest shows i ever saw from ECW and was the most invested i was in a wrestling match EVER up to that point. Kid Kash was looking to be the next R.V.D. at one point.

Comment

fuck yeah though Psicosis. that 2/3 falls match was on one of the earliest shows i ever saw from ECW and was the most invested i was in a wrestling match EVER up to that point. Kid Kash was looking to be the next R.V.D. at one point.

Comment

Brian Lee #25- I "marked" when Brian almost ripped off Terry's ear with a trashcan-blood was coming out of Terry's ear-he was DAZED and CONFUSED.....then he got angry and when Brian "taunted" him with the mic....."Terry, quit Old MAN......"NO, YOU SUMBITCH---then Terry beat his butt. I was there for Scaffold Match with Dreamer-he ate those tables---VERY SCARY

Perry #17- Loved his "stiff" style. He seemed to enjoy hurting people-he usually "paired" off with New Jack during tag battles. weapons filled Cage vs Ganstas was Rude+Crude.
                      "Don't break the Kayfabe"

Comment

Brian Lee #25- I "marked" when Brian almost ripped off Terry's ear with a trashcan-blood was coming out of Terry's ear-he was DAZED and CONFUSED.....then he got angry and when Brian "taunted" him with the mic....."Terry, quit Old MAN......"NO, YOU SUMBITCH---then Terry beat his butt. I was there for Scaffold Match with Dreamer-he ate those tables---VERY SCARY

Perry #17- Loved his "stiff" style. He seemed to enjoy hurting people-he usually "paired" off with New Jack during tag battles. weapons filled Cage vs Ganstas was Rude+Crude.
                        "Don't break the Kayfabe"

Comment

3 Votes-81 Points
                          RVD & Sabu

5 Votes-89 Points
                          Impact Players

5 Votes-92 Points
                          Brian Pillman

6 Votes-98 Points
                          Axl Rotten

5 Votes-100 Points
                          Bad Breed

Comment

3 Votes-81 Points
                            RVD & Sabu

5 Votes-89 Points
                            Impact Players

5 Votes-92 Points
                            Brian Pillman

6 Votes-98 Points
                            Axl Rotten

5 Votes-100 Points
                            Bad Breed

Comment

RVD & Sabu- Had them at #34 and expected them to finish higher than they did. They teamed pretty regularly for over three years, held the tag titles longer than they probably should have, and had some memorable matches with the Eliminators, Furnas & LaFon, and Hayabusa & Hakushi. Plus they're 2 of my top 3 all time favorite ECW guys.

Impact Players- Not unlike the New Age Outlaws in that the sum was greater than the parts. Storm was a decent hand but certainly not someone I ever cared about one way or another aside from making fun of his stupid rat tail and wimpy chairshots, while Credible drifted between 'guy I'd pay to see lose' to 'guy I wanted off my tv.' But Storm's slightly above average in ring ability coupled with Credible's slightly above average heeling was *just* enough to get me to care in a 'pay money to see them get their asses kicked' kind of way. Plus I accepted them as genuine stars once they started teaming. So they were basically the Rated RKO of 1999 ECW. #29 on my list.

Brian Pillman- Considered him more for the Supplemental List as I tried staying away from few match wonders, though a handful did sneak onto the bottom of my ballot.

Bad Breed- Two of my least favorite ECW competitors. Don't know much about their team other than they were briefly(?) Terry Funk's "Few Good Men" and they lost a "Losing Team Must Break Up" match. I like to think this placement is as much for their feud as it was for their team. Their bloody feud garnered a lot of Apter Mag coverage as I'm sure it reminded the Apter Mag folks of their magazine's heyday when bloody images of The Sheik & Abdullah frequently graced the covers. All that magazine coverage generated a buzz which sold tapes and helped put ECW on the map. If you only knew about ECW via the Apter Mags as I did you'd think the Rottens feud was the biggest thing the company had going when in reality it was nowhere close.

Axl Rotten- #37 on my list. He lacked the appeal of his contemporaries by being scummy without the dirtbag charm of a Hack Myers, the sneaky ability of a Balls Mahoney, or the charisma + willingness to jump from high places of a New Jack. But longevity does count for something, and he bled away on the undercard for most of ECW's existence while always remaining fairly popular.
                              Last edited by Baker; 04-19-2017, 01:01 AM.

Comment

RVD & Sabu- Had them at #34 and expected them to finish higher than they did. They teamed pretty regularly for over three years, held the tag titles longer than they probably should have, and had some memorable matches with the Eliminators, Furnas & LaFon, and Hayabusa & Hakushi. Plus they're 2 of my top 3 all time favorite ECW guys.

Impact Players- Not unlike the New Age Outlaws in that the sum was greater than the parts. Storm was a decent hand but certainly not someone I ever cared about one way or another aside from making fun of his stupid rat tail and wimpy chairshots, while Credible drifted between 'guy I'd pay to see lose' to 'guy I wanted off my tv.' But Storm's slightly above average in ring ability coupled with Credible's slightly above average heeling was *just* enough to get me to care in a 'pay money to see them get their asses kicked' kind of way. Plus I accepted them as genuine stars once they started teaming. So they were basically the Rated RKO of 1999 ECW. #29 on my list.

Brian Pillman- Considered him more for the Supplemental List as I tried staying away from few match wonders, though a handful did sneak onto the bottom of my ballot.

Bad Breed- Two of my least favorite ECW competitors. Don't know much about their team other than they were briefly(?) Terry Funk's "Few Good Men" and they lost a "Losing Team Must Break Up" match. I like to think this placement is as much for their feud as it was for their team. Their bloody feud garnered a lot of Apter Mag coverage as I'm sure it reminded the Apter Mag folks of their magazine's heyday when bloody images of The Sheik & Abdullah frequently graced the covers. All that magazine coverage generated a buzz which sold tapes and helped put ECW on the map. If you only knew about ECW via the Apter Mags as I did you'd think the Rottens feud was the biggest thing the company had going when in reality it was nowhere close.

Axl Rotten- #37 on my list. He lacked the appeal of his contemporaries by being scummy without the dirtbag charm of a Hack Myers, the sneaky ability of a Balls Mahoney, or the charisma + willingness to jump from high places of a New Jack. But longevity does count for something, and he bled away on the undercard for most of ECW's existence while always remaining fairly popular.

Comment

Working...
                                X