ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

Jason: There was a couple people in ECW that lasted forever, and I was completely perplexed as to why. Jason is one of those people.

Tommy Rich: He was no JT Smith.

Pitbull #2: After Pitbull #1's injury, it is absolutely absurd how over Pitbull #2 was. A lot of this was the heat Shane Douglas had, but Pitbull #2 was looking like a potential breakout star for a bit.

Tony Mamaluke: I had completely forgot about that bump he took until Shin mentioned it. I hadn't thought about in 17 years. It's funny when stuff like that happens. The fact that he wasn't dead made me like him significantly more.

Ian Rotten: A necessary part of the ECW story. His feud with Axl is basically what introduced the Ultraviolence aspect of ECW, and seemed to be the entire idea of CZW a few years later.

Bruise Brothers: Icon's "hated them everywhere they went", says everything.

Doring and Roadkill: I loved Doring more than anybody should. I can't even totally explain it. He was just so sleazy looking and embraced the sports entertainment aspect of wrestling. Roadkill was there too. Yes, the #69 ranking is awesome.

Bourne Again: It was a killer first promo. I can't be mad for him being this high based on that alone.

Chilly Willy: What the fuck?

Juventud Guerrera: The Juice! This seems right. Above Calo, below Pscicosis.

Hack Myers: The Shah! The Balls Mahoney prototype and more over than anyone could possible imagine without watching an ECW tape from 1995. I had him on my list out of respect.

Ron Simmons: This is how Ron should have always been booked, just perpetually pissed off and kicking people's asses. His feud with 911 had him briefly chokeslamming people more awesome than wrestlers who have built their entire identity around it.

Tommy Cairo: I had him on the back of my list for his importance in 1994. He helped make Sandman and Tommy Dreamer, who will probably both be in the Top 10 of this thing. The blinding Sandman angle, an old territory staple, got its ECW update, and was just spectacular by 1994 standards. Then with that heat, he started feuding with Dreamer, who was just starting to win over the crowd after they wanted him dead for months.

Doug Furnas & Dan Kroffat: Minus the cup of coffee in '96, they're mostly know in ECW for their spot as "Team WWF" during the ECW-WWF feud, which was a tough spot, since they were barely on WWF television. Their greatness in Japan never really translated in The States, although, they were put in spots where success was pretty much impossible

CW Anderson: CW won me over. He was part of a talent influx, where I was baffled as to why old 80's style territory looking motherfuckers were getting chances, while Indie Darlings like Reckless Youth and Christopher Daniels couldn't get a full time job. CW won me over by basically being the workhorse of Hardcore TV, while TNN was getting the more marquee matchups.

Jazz: I don't remember a lot about her run.

Don Muraco: The Rock! Tod Gordon says the rekindling of the Muraco-Snuka feud saved ECW in the early days. Philly was a WWF town, and these two spilled blood in Philly many times against each other during their earlier WWF feud. Them doing it again in small sports bars before Hat Guy was even showing up, is what kept Tod Gordon's ECW budget good enough to keep going.

Nova: I was never a Nova guy. I thought "innovative offense" Nova, post-bWo, was pretty overrated. His "innovative" moves seemed to consist of chaining together two other moves in forced ways that were just stupid. He'd also claim to invent stuff, that I had already seen before, and that just annoyed me. He was also the worst member of the bWo. But as far as midcard hands go, he was solid, and this is a perfectly acceptable ranking.

Blue Meanie: Da Blue Guy! Loved Meanie. The best lackie to the lackie ever. It really is absurd that he made it to the WWF, in like the biggest years the WWF would ever have. bWo! bWo! bWo!

Eddie Gilbert: Helped make Tri-State, which spawned ECW, and then he and Terry Funk helped make ECW. Tod Gordon was admittedly in over his head when he started ECW, and Eddie Gilbert coming in to write the TV show set ECW in the direction they would become famous for. Until recently, I thought Summer Sizzler '93 was booked by Paul E., but Paul E.'s only contribution was bringing PE in (which was pretty fucking good). The rest was Eddie's last hurrah as a booker for ECW. The idea of Eddie Gilbert always worked for me more than what I've actually seen, but I think in real time, the stuff he was doing probably seemed alien.

$

Comment

Jason: There was a couple people in ECW that lasted forever, and I was completely perplexed as to why. Jason is one of those people.

Tommy Rich: He was no JT Smith.

Pitbull #2: After Pitbull #1's injury, it is absolutely absurd how over Pitbull #2 was. A lot of this was the heat Shane Douglas had, but Pitbull #2 was looking like a potential breakout star for a bit.

Tony Mamaluke: I had completely forgot about that bump he took until Shin mentioned it. I hadn't thought about in 17 years. It's funny when stuff like that happens. The fact that he wasn't dead made me like him significantly more.

Ian Rotten: A necessary part of the ECW story. His feud with Axl is basically what introduced the Ultraviolence aspect of ECW, and seemed to be the entire idea of CZW a few years later.

Bruise Brothers: Icon's "hated them everywhere they went", says everything.

Doring and Roadkill: I loved Doring more than anybody should. I can't even totally explain it. He was just so sleazy looking and embraced the sports entertainment aspect of wrestling. Roadkill was there too. Yes, the #69 ranking is awesome.

Bourne Again: It was a killer first promo. I can't be mad for him being this high based on that alone.

Chilly Willy: What the fuck?

Juventud Guerrera: The Juice! This seems right. Above Calo, below Pscicosis.

Hack Myers: The Shah! The Balls Mahoney prototype and more over than anyone could possible imagine without watching an ECW tape from 1995. I had him on my list out of respect.

Ron Simmons: This is how Ron should have always been booked, just perpetually pissed off and kicking people's asses. His feud with 911 had him briefly chokeslamming people more awesome than wrestlers who have built their entire identity around it.

Tommy Cairo: I had him on the back of my list for his importance in 1994. He helped make Sandman and Tommy Dreamer, who will probably both be in the Top 10 of this thing. The blinding Sandman angle, an old territory staple, got its ECW update, and was just spectacular by 1994 standards. Then with that heat, he started feuding with Dreamer, who was just starting to win over the crowd after they wanted him dead for months.

Doug Furnas & Dan Kroffat: Minus the cup of coffee in '96, they're mostly know in ECW for their spot as "Team WWF" during the ECW-WWF feud, which was a tough spot, since they were barely on WWF television. Their greatness in Japan never really translated in The States, although, they were put in spots where success was pretty much impossible

CW Anderson: CW won me over. He was part of a talent influx, where I was baffled as to why old 80's style territory looking motherfuckers were getting chances, while Indie Darlings like Reckless Youth and Christopher Daniels couldn't get a full time job. CW won me over by basically being the workhorse of Hardcore TV, while TNN was getting the more marquee matchups.

Jazz: I don't remember a lot about her run.

Don Muraco: The Rock! Tod Gordon says the rekindling of the Muraco-Snuka feud saved ECW in the early days. Philly was a WWF town, and these two spilled blood in Philly many times against each other during their earlier WWF feud. Them doing it again in small sports bars before Hat Guy was even showing up, is what kept Tod Gordon's ECW budget good enough to keep going.

Nova: I was never a Nova guy. I thought "innovative offense" Nova, post-bWo, was pretty overrated. His "innovative" moves seemed to consist of chaining together two other moves in forced ways that were just stupid. He'd also claim to invent stuff, that I had already seen before, and that just annoyed me. He was also the worst member of the bWo. But as far as midcard hands go, he was solid, and this is a perfectly acceptable ranking.

Blue Meanie: Da Blue Guy! Loved Meanie. The best lackie to the lackie ever. It really is absurd that he made it to the WWF, in like the biggest years the WWF would ever have. bWo! bWo! bWo!

Eddie Gilbert: Helped make Tri-State, which spawned ECW, and then he and Terry Funk helped make ECW. Tod Gordon was admittedly in over his head when he started ECW, and Eddie Gilbert coming in to write the TV show set ECW in the direction they would become famous for. Until recently, I thought Summer Sizzler '93 was booked by Paul E., but Paul E.'s only contribution was bringing PE in (which was pretty fucking good). The rest was Eddie's last hurrah as a booker for ECW. The idea of Eddie Gilbert always worked for me more than what I've actually seen, but I think in real time, the stuff he was doing probably seemed alien.

$

Comment

Damn, completely forgot the Dudleys? I did not like the "comedy" Dudleys with stuttering Bubba, once they turned "mean" they were a force. I was a Gangstas and Elimintaors fan.
        Blue Meanie was fun, BWO was genius. Nova appeared as ECW was dying and I was losing interest.
        "Don't break the Kayfabe"

Comment

Damn, completely forgot the Dudleys? I did not like the "comedy" Dudleys with stuttering Bubba, once they turned "mean" they were a force. I was a Gangstas and Elimintaors fan.
          Blue Meanie was fun, BWO was genius. Nova appeared as ECW was dying and I was losing interest.
          "Don't break the Kayfabe"

Comment

Furnas and Lafon- In reality, outside of their famous match with Kobashi and Kikuchi, an early match with Tiger Mask II and Kobashi and their runs ins with RVD I haven't seen much of their work. They were being phased out of the WWF when I started watching again so I missed most of that run too. They were awesome in Japan with Kroffat being exceptional at working the crowd while Furnas would just kill people with suplexes. They couldn't really excel being in the same stable as RVD and were held back a bit during their second run. There matches against RVD and Sabu is the go to material, still though not quite good enough to make my list.

C.W. Anderson- One of my personal cult favorites even though he didn't make my list since his peak was when I was losing interest in ECW. Loved the throwback approach and the nods to AA. I think it was a solid attempt by Paul E to continue to the lineage started by guys like Malenko and Benoit that showed ECW was also about meat and potatoes wrestling.

Jazz- I also don't really remember much about her ECW run. I guess somebody did.

Don Muraco- I also had to pay respect to the Rock putting him all the way up in the 22 slot. Rekindling the feud with Snuka was the first big happening in ECW and laid the foundation for what was to come.

The Other Dudleys- Dances and Dudley were useless, Bubba Ray and Devon we'll get to later, but Bubba should get mention for his crowning achievement at Heat Wave 1998, man I wish heels could cut on this current crowd like that. Yes there was a Snot Dudley but pictures and video are hard to come by from what I can see. I just remember seeing him ranked on the PWI 500 and wondering when the Dudley madness would end.

Nova and Blue Meanie was what I should have put on my ballot instead of just Nova in the 50 spot. Loved the bWo stuff, I most certainly feel shameful @Baker; You can give thanks to who else but the Beatles for you and your friends enjoyment of the Blue Meanie name. I also first took notice of him in PWI and had to wonder if his gimmick truly was hating all music as portrayed in Yellow Submarine (book that HTM/Meanie feud Baker!). I also liked Nova's innovator character as it still provides great satire of the indy scene.

22. Don Muraco
            44. Tommy Cairo
            45. The Chair Swingin' Freaks
            46. Chris Candido and Lance Storm
            47. Hack Myers
            49. The FBI (Tracy Smothers and Little Guido)
            50. Nova
            Last edited by The Icon; 04-17-2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Furnas and Lafon- In reality, outside of their famous match with Kobashi and Kikuchi, an early match with Tiger Mask II and Kobashi and their runs ins with RVD I haven't seen much of their work. They were being phased out of the WWF when I started watching again so I missed most of that run too. They were awesome in Japan with Kroffat being exceptional at working the crowd while Furnas would just kill people with suplexes. They couldn't really excel being in the same stable as RVD and were held back a bit during their second run. There matches against RVD and Sabu is the go to material, still though not quite good enough to make my list.

C.W. Anderson- One of my personal cult favorites even though he didn't make my list since his peak was when I was losing interest in ECW. Loved the throwback approach and the nods to AA. I think it was a solid attempt by Paul E to continue to the lineage started by guys like Malenko and Benoit that showed ECW was also about meat and potatoes wrestling.

Jazz- I also don't really remember much about her ECW run. I guess somebody did.

Don Muraco- I also had to pay respect to the Rock putting him all the way up in the 22 slot. Rekindling the feud with Snuka was the first big happening in ECW and laid the foundation for what was to come.

The Other Dudleys- Dances and Dudley were useless, Bubba Ray and Devon we'll get to later, but Bubba should get mention for his crowning achievement at Heat Wave 1998, man I wish heels could cut on this current crowd like that. Yes there was a Snot Dudley but pictures and video are hard to come by from what I can see. I just remember seeing him ranked on the PWI 500 and wondering when the Dudley madness would end.

Nova and Blue Meanie was what I should have put on my ballot instead of just Nova in the 50 spot. Loved the bWo stuff, I most certainly feel shameful @Baker; You can give thanks to who else but the Beatles for you and your friends enjoyment of the Blue Meanie name. I also first took notice of him in PWI and had to wonder if his gimmick truly was hating all music as portrayed in Yellow Submarine (book that HTM/Meanie feud Baker!). I also liked Nova's innovator character as it still provides great satire of the indy scene.

22. Don Muraco
              44. Tommy Cairo
              45. The Chair Swingin' Freaks
              46. Chris Candido and Lance Storm
              47. Hack Myers
              49. The FBI (Tracy Smothers and Little Guido)
              50. Nova

Comment

CW Anderson was one of my final cuts, I believe he was even on my original list that I sent Baker. Wasn't real crazy about him back in the day but grew to like him watching the old tapes. Good guy that the fans didn't like at first but he eventually won them over a little bit through hard work, one of those guys that broke his back for ECW in it's dying days for literally nothing.

Jazz was from my list. Without her my list was a total sausage fest, she is the only female that made my cut. I wasn't real crazy about her back in the day but when watching through the ECW on TNN tapes recently I noticed that she was something interesting for ECW, strong woman that was dangerous and was being booked well, turning some of the stereotypical ECW women's wrestling psychology upside down, instead of cat fighting and getting her ass exposed taking piledrivers she was the one giving the piledrivers and taking dudes out as the female fighting force of ECW.

I always liked Nova and never really cared for Blue Meanie, surprised to see Meanie higher up than Nova. Nova's moves were cool to me, he was good in tag teams carrying far less talented guys like Meanie and Chris Chetti to solid tag matches.

All the non-Dudleys getting votes. They were funny in small doses but for the most part that whole storyline went on for way too long. That one backdrop cutter that Bubba hit on D-Von in one of those matches was pretty epic though.

32. Doring & Roadkill
                36. Pit Bull 2
                40. Nova
                41. The Unholy Alliance Mikey Whipreck & Yoshihiro Tajiri
                43. Eddie Gilbert- was he already listed? Can't find him but I seen Baker and Icon and Kilgore mention him
                47. Jazz
                50. Hack Myers

Comment

CW Anderson was one of my final cuts, I believe he was even on my original list that I sent Baker. Wasn't real crazy about him back in the day but grew to like him watching the old tapes. Good guy that the fans didn't like at first but he eventually won them over a little bit through hard work, one of those guys that broke his back for ECW in it's dying days for literally nothing.

Jazz was from my list. Without her my list was a total sausage fest, she is the only female that made my cut. I wasn't real crazy about her back in the day but when watching through the ECW on TNN tapes recently I noticed that she was something interesting for ECW, strong woman that was dangerous and was being booked well, turning some of the stereotypical ECW women's wrestling psychology upside down, instead of cat fighting and getting her ass exposed taking piledrivers she was the one giving the piledrivers and taking dudes out as the female fighting force of ECW.

I always liked Nova and never really cared for Blue Meanie, surprised to see Meanie higher up than Nova. Nova's moves were cool to me, he was good in tag teams carrying far less talented guys like Meanie and Chris Chetti to solid tag matches.

All the non-Dudleys getting votes. They were funny in small doses but for the most part that whole storyline went on for way too long. That one backdrop cutter that Bubba hit on D-Von in one of those matches was pretty epic though.

32. Doring & Roadkill
                  36. Pit Bull 2
                  40. Nova
                  41. The Unholy Alliance Mikey Whipreck & Yoshihiro Tajiri
                  43. Eddie Gilbert- was he already listed? Can't find him but I seen Baker and Icon and Kilgore mention him
                  47. Jazz
                  50. Hack Myers

Comment

Actually I forgot to comment on Eddie Gilbert. He was a consideration for my non-wrestler list for his booking. I mostly think of him planting the seeds in Philly for Tri-State with his feud with Cactus in ring wise.

Comment

Actually I forgot to comment on Eddie Gilbert. He was a consideration for my non-wrestler list for his booking. I mostly think of him planting the seeds in Philly for Tri-State with his feud with Cactus in ring wise.

Comment

Originally posted by The Icon View Post
                        You can give thanks to who else but the Beatles for you and your friends enjoyment of the Blue Meanie name. I also first took notice of him in PWI and had to wonder if his gimmick truly was hating all music as portrayed in Yellow Submarine (book that HTM/Meanie feud Baker!).
                        Yeah, my mom, ever the Beatles fan, soon smartened us up. Finding out it wasn't an ECW original thing kind of killed that Meanie magic tbh.

Thanks for the HTM/Meanie suggestion! Meanie would be a perfect fit for NGW.....

Originally posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
                        I forgot to list him in the #51-#60 post. He's listed in a separate post.

Going to put Gilbert where he belongs and edit the point totals now. Not gonna lie...Doring (& Roadkill) getting bumped from the #69 spot hurts.

May post #46-#50 after that if I'm not too tired.

Comment

Originally posted by The Icon View Post
                          You can give thanks to who else but the Beatles for you and your friends enjoyment of the Blue Meanie name. I also first took notice of him in PWI and had to wonder if his gimmick truly was hating all music as portrayed in Yellow Submarine (book that HTM/Meanie feud Baker!).
                          Yeah, my mom, ever the Beatles fan, soon smartened us up. Finding out it wasn't an ECW original thing kind of killed that Meanie magic tbh.

Thanks for the HTM/Meanie suggestion! Meanie would be a perfect fit for NGW.....

Originally posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
                          I forgot to list him in the #51-#60 post. He's listed in a separate post.

Going to put Gilbert where he belongs and edit the point totals now. Not gonna lie...Doring (& Roadkill) getting bumped from the #69 spot hurts.

May post #46-#50 after that if I'm not too tired.

Comment

6 Votes-52 Points
                            Psicosis

5 Votes-53 Points
                            Kid Kash

5 Votes-54 Points
                            Brian Lee

2 Votes-61 Points
                            Perry Saturn

6 Votes-72 Points
                            Jimmy Snuka

Comment

6 Votes-52 Points
                              Psicosis

5 Votes-53 Points
                              Kid Kash

5 Votes-54 Points
                              Brian Lee

2 Votes-61 Points
                              Perry Saturn

6 Votes-72 Points
                              Jimmy Snuka

Comment

It ain't easy to find decent ECW pics nowadays.

Brian Lee at #46 was the only one from this batch to make my list (Kash & Psicosis would have made a Top 55). He was a perfectly acceptable big goon for Raven and then Douglas. Famously threw Tommy Dreamer from high places. The Barely Legal swerve with Rude & Douglas was really cool. "Prime Time" is an all time great nickname. Also gets some bonus points for completely changing his look to fit in with ECW. Looks like a totally different dude than the 3rd rate Hogan wannabe he portrayed in early SMW.

Kid Kash- A late cut. My cousin & I were early Kash fans due to being amused by the goofy "man of many names" gimmick he had during his cup of coffee with the company in '96. Pretty sure we were the only ones in the building cheering when he made his 1999 comeback at The Arena against Uganda (remember him?). His lack of character meant I couldn't get too behind him but he was still one of the better guys in latter day ECW. That little "Master of the Frankensteiner" thing he had going on was pretty cool. Also recently watched a really good match he had with EZ Money on one of the last ECW pay per views. Fwiw TNA Kash is the best Kash.

Psicosis- Another late cut. Brought his worldwide feud with Rey Mysterio to ECW which went a long way towards popularizing Lucha/Cruiserweight wrestling here in the states. Also saw him have a really good match at The Arena with Tajiri during his brief 2000 return.

Perry Saturn- I'll save my paean to the Eliminators for later. While we all know Saturn was the best Eliminator, and aspiring to be a cross between Sabu & Taz is a stellar way to approach wrestling, I would actually rate Kronus higher on this list simply due to Kronus having more ECW longevity. Anybody ever see any of the Sabu/Saturn ECW matches? This clique called The Extremists who used to travel up to PA for ECW shows and call my local wrestling radio show with reports couldn't stop raving about one of them back in the day.

Jimmy Snuka- Another legend brought into early ECW to give them some street cred. Don't know much about his ECW run other than Dreamer (allegedly) being the first man to kick out of the Superfly Splash which was a really big deal in ECW lore.
                                Last edited by Baker; 04-18-2017, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X