ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

Fonz #50---Francine #47---Beulah #49---The trinity----Francine was great---chants=She's Got Herpeeeeeeeeeeessss-She's a WHooooooouuuurrreee----took many bumps- I was there the night she turned on Pitbulls and joined Shane-Powerbombed through a table=STIFF-Great tits and snarl=a Philly Gal.

Beulah and Fonz gave me a blood-letting- mixed match-B hit Fonz with edge of a cookie-sheets=a fountain of blood-tied to the Tree of Woe he covered a third of the ring in blood!-I asked Fonz about it at the Reunion show---"Yeah Daddy, I was on speed, lost 1/5 of my blood>"

Johnny Grunge #48- He was fun-GREAT promos from junkyards around Philly-bumped-ZERO 'rassling skill=VERY Philly

Louie Spic- #43- Really enjoyed his work. Saw him many times-STIFF!

JT #46- Smothers#45- Loved their comedy. Full Blooded I's were needed comedy relief. Both could chain 'rassle.

Rocco #42- A madman- bumped dumb +hard- LOVED his promos.

Kroffat #40- Saw him and Doug twice. Furnas didn't make the cut-no reason-I went "live." Legit tag.

Rude#36- He brought THE SEX to the Arena. Rats were swooning.

Kronos#35- Mustafa#33- Both were great "sidemen"-bled buckets.
    Last edited by Fezz; 04-16-2017, 01:23 PM.
    "Don't break the Kayfabe"

Comment

Fonz #50---Francine #47---Beulah #49---The trinity----Francine was great---chants=She's Got Herpeeeeeeeeeeessss-She's a WHooooooouuuurrreee----took many bumps- I was there the night she turned on Pitbulls and joined Shane-Powerbombed through a table=STIFF-Great tits and snarl=a Philly Gal.

Beulah and Fonz gave me a blood-letting- mixed match-B hit Fonz with edge of a cookie-sheets=a fountain of blood-tied to the Tree of Woe he covered a third of the ring in blood!-I asked Fonz about it at the Reunion show---"Yeah Daddy, I was on speed, lost 1/5 of my blood>"

Johnny Grunge #48- He was fun-GREAT promos from junkyards around Philly-bumped-ZERO 'rassling skill=VERY Philly

Louie Spic- #43- Really enjoyed his work. Saw him many times-STIFF!

JT #46- Smothers#45- Loved their comedy. Full Blooded I's were needed comedy relief. Both could chain 'rassle.

Rocco #42- A madman- bumped dumb +hard- LOVED his promos.

Kroffat #40- Saw him and Doug twice. Furnas didn't make the cut-no reason-I went "live." Legit tag.

Rude#36- He brought THE SEX to the Arena. Rats were swooning.

Kronos#35- Mustafa#33- Both were great "sidemen"-bled buckets.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Since everybody else is doing it....

Kevin Sullivan- Gave early ECW some star power. Didn't his team with Tasmaniac put Taz on the map? I've only seen like one Sullivan ECW match but his stiff brawling style seems tailor made for ECW.

Beulah & Bill Alfonso- Perfectly fine low end ballot choice based on their one memorable bloodbath. Didn't Fonzie also have a fun match w/ Tod Gordon once upon a time?

Francine & Rick Rude- Better as non-wrestler choices than Greatest ECW Wrestler contenders imo but since some people didn't send in a supplemental ballot.....

Little Guido & Tracey Smothers- Easily my least favorite version of the FBI. They had go away heat with me. Maybe I'd appreciate them slightly more nowadays after familiarizing myself more with Smothers as the ultimate southern babyface in SMW.

King Kong Bundy- Seems like a weird fit for ECW. Don't think I even knew he competed in the promotion until I started posting here.

Jerry Lawler- The Dreamer PPV match was disappointing but his appearance at The Arena during the best booked hour in wrestling history is an all time great company moment.

Johnny Grunge & Rocco Rock- Rock being rated above Grunge is the right call. I do wish everybody had voted for tag teams instead of splitting well known teams up into individuals but there's nothing I can do about that.

Sid & Dusty Rhodes- It took until the very last voter but I'm glad they both made the countdown. Both are rated about right too. Dusty helped Corino get over and while I hated Sid's ECW run in real time I've mellowed out a lot. The big oaf with 1 or 2 moves and insane popularity is actually as ECW as it gets. Just look at 911 if you don't believe me.

Candido & Storm- Would have made my Top 60 just because they (stupidly) held the tag titles forever. Controversial opinion time....Heyman doesn't get nearly enough criticism for helping to kill tag team wrestling with all his wacky teams and partners who can't get along.

Louie Spicolli- Yeah, he was a popular cult favorite type but, unlike most of the others here, I think he was about to find his true calling as a heel feuding with Dreamer. I'm tellin' ya. That would have been his ticket to stardom had he stuck it out and laid off the drugs.

John Kronus- Blew my mind the first time I saw him. Here was a 265 pound guy flying around like a world class cruiserweight. What a freak! One of my big pet peeves with late 90s ECW was "why don't they push Kronus more?!?" Now I understand. But guess what? He should totally be rated above Saturn in this based on longevity.

Mustafa- No problem with him getting a vote if people simply must split up tag teams. His comeback as heel Mr. Mustafa with a Wu Tang theme feuding with New Jack was also a fun little ppv to ppv thing.

JT Smith- Best member of the FBI. Was a quality sports entertainer who wasn't afraid to die or look silly. Also had some cool moves like the Harlem Hangover and he was the first guy Gabe ever saw do a Northern Lights Suplex. My #48.

Dan Kroffat- Agree with Kilgore that Furnas should be ranked above Kroffat based on the RVD match.

Hayabusa- Another one match wonder. Too bad he didn't stick around longer as a semi-regular a la Tanaka. Would have been hugely over if he had.

Simon Diamond- Apparently I like him more than most of the others posting here. Maybe because of all the Apter Mag hype? He was a perfectly fine midcard sports entertainment heel...the IRS or Mountie of 2000 ECW. Random Fun Fact: Corino leading a new Horsemen of CW Anderson & Simon BLANCHARD was my big ECW fanfic idea in 2000.

Balls & Axl- Popular midcard babyface team rated about right.

Super Calo- Had no memory of him competing in ECW. Had to look it up just to be sure.

Mikey & Tajiri- Get a lot of praise but I was mostly off ECW by the time they came around. Haven't seen much.

The Sheik- Another hardcore legend brought in to give early ECW some street cred.

Comment

Since everybody else is doing it....

Kevin Sullivan- Gave early ECW some star power. Didn't his team with Tasmaniac put Taz on the map? I've only seen like one Sullivan ECW match but his stiff brawling style seems tailor made for ECW.

Beulah & Bill Alfonso- Perfectly fine low end ballot choice based on their one memorable bloodbath. Didn't Fonzie also have a fun match w/ Tod Gordon once upon a time?

Francine & Rick Rude- Better as non-wrestler choices than Greatest ECW Wrestler contenders imo but since some people didn't send in a supplemental ballot.....

Little Guido & Tracey Smothers- Easily my least favorite version of the FBI. They had go away heat with me. Maybe I'd appreciate them slightly more nowadays after familiarizing myself more with Smothers as the ultimate southern babyface in SMW.

King Kong Bundy- Seems like a weird fit for ECW. Don't think I even knew he competed in the promotion until I started posting here.

Jerry Lawler- The Dreamer PPV match was disappointing but his appearance at The Arena during the best booked hour in wrestling history is an all time great company moment.

Johnny Grunge & Rocco Rock- Rock being rated above Grunge is the right call. I do wish everybody had voted for tag teams instead of splitting well known teams up into individuals but there's nothing I can do about that.

Sid & Dusty Rhodes- It took until the very last voter but I'm glad they both made the countdown. Both are rated about right too. Dusty helped Corino get over and while I hated Sid's ECW run in real time I've mellowed out a lot. The big oaf with 1 or 2 moves and insane popularity is actually as ECW as it gets. Just look at 911 if you don't believe me.

Candido & Storm- Would have made my Top 60 just because they (stupidly) held the tag titles forever. Controversial opinion time....Heyman doesn't get nearly enough criticism for helping to kill tag team wrestling with all his wacky teams and partners who can't get along.

Louie Spicolli- Yeah, he was a popular cult favorite type but, unlike most of the others here, I think he was about to find his true calling as a heel feuding with Dreamer. I'm tellin' ya. That would have been his ticket to stardom had he stuck it out and laid off the drugs.

John Kronus- Blew my mind the first time I saw him. Here was a 265 pound guy flying around like a world class cruiserweight. What a freak! One of my big pet peeves with late 90s ECW was "why don't they push Kronus more?!?" Now I understand. But guess what? He should totally be rated above Saturn in this based on longevity.

Mustafa- No problem with him getting a vote if people simply must split up tag teams. His comeback as heel Mr. Mustafa with a Wu Tang theme feuding with New Jack was also a fun little ppv to ppv thing.

JT Smith- Best member of the FBI. Was a quality sports entertainer who wasn't afraid to die or look silly. Also had some cool moves like the Harlem Hangover and he was the first guy Gabe ever saw do a Northern Lights Suplex. My #48.

Dan Kroffat- Agree with Kilgore that Furnas should be ranked above Kroffat based on the RVD match.

Hayabusa- Another one match wonder. Too bad he didn't stick around longer as a semi-regular a la Tanaka. Would have been hugely over if he had.

Simon Diamond- Apparently I like him more than most of the others posting here. Maybe because of all the Apter Mag hype? He was a perfectly fine midcard sports entertainment heel...the IRS or Mountie of 2000 ECW. Random Fun Fact: Corino leading a new Horsemen of CW Anderson & Simon BLANCHARD was my big ECW fanfic idea in 2000.

Balls & Axl- Popular midcard babyface team rated about right.

Super Calo- Had no memory of him competing in ECW. Had to look it up just to be sure.

Mikey & Tajiri- Get a lot of praise but I was mostly off ECW by the time they came around. Haven't seen much.

The Sheik- Another hardcore legend brought in to give early ECW some street cred.

Comment

#75-#61

1 Vote-19 Points
                Tommy Rich

2 Votes-19 Points
                Pitbull #2

1 Vote-20 Points
                Tony Mamaluke

2 Votes-20 Points
                Ian Rotten

1 Vote-21 Points
                Bruise Brothers

2 Votes-23 Points
                Danny Doring & Roadkill

1 Vote-24 Points
                Bourne Again

1 Vote-25 Points
                Chilly Willy

3 Votes-25 Points
                Juventud Guerrera

5 Votes-26 Points
                Hack Myers

(tie)
                2 Votes-27 Points
                Danny Doring
                Roadkill

3 Votes-30 Points
                Ron Simmons

5 Votes-30 Points
                "Ironman" Tommy Cairo

1 Vote-31 Points
                Doug Furnas & Dan Kroffat
                Last edited by Baker; 04-18-2017, 12:28 AM.

Comment

#75-#61

1 Vote-19 Points
                  Tommy Rich

2 Votes-19 Points
                  Pitbull #2

1 Vote-20 Points
                  Tony Mamaluke

2 Votes-20 Points
                  Ian Rotten

1 Vote-21 Points
                  Bruise Brothers

2 Votes-23 Points
                  Danny Doring & Roadkill

1 Vote-24 Points
                  Bourne Again

1 Vote-25 Points
                  Chilly Willy

3 Votes-25 Points
                  Juventud Guerrera

5 Votes-26 Points
                  Hack Myers

(tie)
                  2 Votes-27 Points
                  Danny Doring
                  Roadkill

3 Votes-30 Points
                  Ron Simmons

5 Votes-30 Points
                  "Ironman" Tommy Cairo

1 Vote-31 Points
                  Doug Furnas & Dan Kroffat

Comment

I think of ECW guys as individual cults of personality. Tagteams got split up,due to my preference. I just thought, Give me 50 names-------I forget two MAJOR guys. Mustafa-I liked his "evil" laugh.

Comment

I think of ECW guys as individual cults of personality. Tagteams got split up,due to my preference. I just thought, Give me 50 names-------I forget two MAJOR guys. Mustafa-I liked his "evil" laugh.

Comment

Jason & Tommy Rich are two more ECW acts who had go away heat with me.

Pitbull #2 was on my ballot. Think I had him at #47. I loved his feud with Douglas over the TV Title. May have even been the most popular guy in ECW for a minute there. Had some sneaky good matches too with the likes of Jericho & Shane while the famous 4 Way for the TV Title is a Top 5 ECW match for me. Douglas/PB2 > Flair/RW Hawk.

Tony Mamaluke- Was mostly done with ECW by the time he came around but his version of the FBI generated a lot of praise back in the day as Mamaluke himself gained notoriety for his bumping.

Ian Rotten- I think both Rotten's were crap but Ian's (mostly forgotten) blood feud with Axl sold a ton of tapes back in the day and helped put ECW on the map. It was even PWI's 1995 Feud of the Year over stuff like Raven/Dreamer & Guerrero/Malenko!

Bruise Brothers- They looked the part and that one time they rammed Tommy Dreamer's nuts into the turnbuckle post was a quality heel move but I've never been a fan.

Doring & Roadkill- Never cared for 'em. Everything about Roadkill was dumb. Awful gimmick. And Doring was pretty bland. But they're fairly popular here on PW and weren't terrible in the ring. It's also pretty cool that they finished #69 as a tag team (surely Doring would approve) and tied as singles competitors.

Bourne Again- Potentially great gimmick but this character didn't last anywhere near long enough to be considered for my list.

Chilly Willy- The worst. Low level indy garbage taking up space in what was once the most innovative promotion in America. I mean, come on. The dude's name is Chilly Willy. Chilly. Fucking. Willy. And he hails from your hometown. Jim Herd would have rejected the idea of Chilly Willy for being too stupid. ECW deserved to go out of business. This dude could have been Ric Flair and I wouldn't have cared because he sounds like a rejected Sesame Street character.

Juventud Guerrera- Had an awesome match with Rey. Possibly two. But wasn't around anywhere near long enough to be under consideration for my ballot.

Hack Myers- #49 on my list. Love me some Shah. He's right up there with JT Smith when it comes to my favorite lower card ECW cult favorite types. Dude is just as ECW as it gets. And I swear he had a good match with Sabu this one time!

Ron Simmons- Haven't seen much from his ECW run (just one pretty good match w/ Douglas, I think) and always forgot he competed in the promotion until I started posting here.

Ironman Tommy Cairo- Not sure I've seen a complete IRONMAN Tommy Cairo match but he was an early ECW star who helped put Sandman on the map. Also had a cool nickname and some Apter Mag hype.

Comment

Jason & Tommy Rich are two more ECW acts who had go away heat with me.

Pitbull #2 was on my ballot. Think I had him at #47. I loved his feud with Douglas over the TV Title. May have even been the most popular guy in ECW for a minute there. Had some sneaky good matches too with the likes of Jericho & Shane while the famous 4 Way for the TV Title is a Top 5 ECW match for me. Douglas/PB2 > Flair/RW Hawk.

Tony Mamaluke- Was mostly done with ECW by the time he came around but his version of the FBI generated a lot of praise back in the day as Mamaluke himself gained notoriety for his bumping.

Ian Rotten- I think both Rotten's were crap but Ian's (mostly forgotten) blood feud with Axl sold a ton of tapes back in the day and helped put ECW on the map. It was even PWI's 1995 Feud of the Year over stuff like Raven/Dreamer & Guerrero/Malenko!

Bruise Brothers- They looked the part and that one time they rammed Tommy Dreamer's nuts into the turnbuckle post was a quality heel move but I've never been a fan.

Doring & Roadkill- Never cared for 'em. Everything about Roadkill was dumb. Awful gimmick. And Doring was pretty bland. But they're fairly popular here on PW and weren't terrible in the ring. It's also pretty cool that they finished #69 as a tag team (surely Doring would approve) and tied as singles competitors.

Bourne Again- Potentially great gimmick but this character didn't last anywhere near long enough to be considered for my list.

Chilly Willy- The worst. Low level indy garbage taking up space in what was once the most innovative promotion in America. I mean, come on. The dude's name is Chilly Willy. Chilly. Fucking. Willy. And he hails from your hometown. Jim Herd would have rejected the idea of Chilly Willy for being too stupid. ECW deserved to go out of business. This dude could have been Ric Flair and I wouldn't have cared because he sounds like a rejected Sesame Street character.

Juventud Guerrera- Had an awesome match with Rey. Possibly two. But wasn't around anywhere near long enough to be under consideration for my ballot.

Hack Myers- #49 on my list. Love me some Shah. He's right up there with JT Smith when it comes to my favorite lower card ECW cult favorite types. Dude is just as ECW as it gets. And I swear he had a good match with Sabu this one time!

Ron Simmons- Haven't seen much from his ECW run (just one pretty good match w/ Douglas, I think) and always forgot he competed in the promotion until I started posting here.

Ironman Tommy Cairo- Not sure I've seen a complete IRONMAN Tommy Cairo match but he was an early ECW star who helped put Sandman on the map. Also had a cool nickname and some Apter Mag hype.

Comment

Oh, shit... I should've been paying more attention.

If I understand the posts correctly, Kevin Sullivan and Jerry Lawler only got one vote a piece an that's why they made the list? I think those were my votes then. I don't know how much I'll be commenting in this thread in a worthwhile capacity as rankings are revealed since I don't really consider myself a "real" or "hardcore" (no pun intended) ECW fan... but I hope I did right in getting those two guys on the official list. Their roles seemed to have some significance. Judgin by others' comments so far, I'm glad I tossed them both some love.

Then Jason and Ron Simmons are two others from my list. I think I might've given Ron possibly a little more love than perhaps his ECW run warranted... in part because I can't separate Ron's actual ECW run from PW's awesome Extreme Nation concept and Ron's general badassery. It's interesting to note the gap between Ron @ #41 and Lawler @ #48 on my list... I'm wondering where the guys in between will rank.

This was a fun countdown to put together a list for, and so far I'm loving the reveals and subsequent commentary from everyone involved. Thanks to @Baker for running this. March 2016 was Stone Cold month. Between this and the draft, April 2017 is proving to be the Bake month.
                            : 04/02/11}:forever&always
                            ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
                            http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

Comment

If I understand the posts correctly, Kevin Sullivan and Jerry Lawler only got one vote a piece an that's why they made the list? I think those were my votes then. I don't know how much I'll be commenting in this thread in a worthwhile capacity as rankings are revealed since I don't really consider myself a "real" or "hardcore" (no pun intended) ECW fan... but I hope I did right in getting those two guys on the official list. Their roles seemed to have some significance. Judgin by others' comments so far, I'm glad I tossed them both some love.

Then Jason and Ron Simmons are two others from my list. I think I might've given Ron possibly a little more love than perhaps his ECW run warranted... in part because I can't separate Ron's actual ECW run from PW's awesome Extreme Nation concept and Ron's general badassery. It's interesting to note the gap between Ron @ #41 and Lawler @ #48 on my list... I'm wondering where the guys in between will rank.

This was a fun countdown to put together a list for, and so far I'm loving the reveals and subsequent commentary from everyone involved. Thanks to @Baker for running this. March 2016 was Stone Cold month. Between this and the draft, April 2017 is proving to be the Bake month.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X