ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

Man what a post by [MENTION=105216]Kilgore[/MENTION].

Edit: Also, the fact that so many ECW fans post here is what makes PW the coolest wrestling board on the internet. You got a pretty good handful of folks here that have actually gone to ECW shows back in the day, you don't really see that on the 2-3 other wrestling forums I used to post on. I love that, and I'm super jealous of every single one of you fuckers.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 05-12-2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Edit: Also, the fact that so many ECW fans post here is what makes PW the coolest wrestling board on the internet. You got a pretty good handful of folks here that have actually gone to ECW shows back in the day, you don't really see that on the 2-3 other wrestling forums I used to post on. I love that, and I'm super jealous of every single one of you fuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post

You and me both, a part of me hopes they make The Arena some sort of historical site so I can visit it some day.

It says something that people want to make a pilgrimage to a shit hole in South Philly, but it's our shit hole.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post

You and me both, a part of me hopes they make The Arena some sort of historical site so I can visit it some day.

It says something that people want to make a pilgrimage to a shit hole in South Philly, but it's our shit hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Fezz View Post
            40. Terry Gordy
            I don't think I saw him on the list. His comeback was a big fucking deal to us. biggest pop in ECW? never forget a run in he did at a house show with everyone cheering for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Fezz View Post
              40. Terry Gordy
              I don't think I saw him on the list. His comeback was a big fucking deal to us. biggest pop in ECW? never forget a run in he did at a house show with everyone cheering for him.

Comment

Rob Van Dam- I was full mutant before he debuted, so I probably wanted to see Axl kick his ass. Sabu series won me over. that was what I pointed to if people asked what made ECW so great. Not gonna see that shit anywhere else. insane spots with a lot of hatred and storytelling on Sabu's end. then factor it into the Taz feud. one of my favorite wrestling feuds ever. if a match of there's wasn't on hardcore tv, i'd buy the tape just for it. with Rob, he was great with Sabu, Jerry Lynn, and Lance Storm, but his best work came against the bigger guys. He was a maniac on bumps and his crazy spots looked great against bigger guys. probably one of the best bumpers. loved his matches with Furnas, Taz, Bigelow, Balls, and Rhyno.

Taz-heel turn is one of my favorite promos. Golberg, Lesnar, early Undertaker, no one has a better undefeated streak than Taz. my first Show i went to, we "didn't deserve to see him wrestle," but his squashes were the best squashes ever. people may have found barely legal match underwhelming, but the build up to it was amazing.

Comment

Rob Van Dam- I was full mutant before he debuted, so I probably wanted to see Axl kick his ass. Sabu series won me over. that was what I pointed to if people asked what made ECW so great. Not gonna see that shit anywhere else. insane spots with a lot of hatred and storytelling on Sabu's end. then factor it into the Taz feud. one of my favorite wrestling feuds ever. if a match of there's wasn't on hardcore tv, i'd buy the tape just for it. with Rob, he was great with Sabu, Jerry Lynn, and Lance Storm, but his best work came against the bigger guys. He was a maniac on bumps and his crazy spots looked great against bigger guys. probably one of the best bumpers. loved his matches with Furnas, Taz, Bigelow, Balls, and Rhyno.

Taz-heel turn is one of my favorite promos. Golberg, Lesnar, early Undertaker, no one has a better undefeated streak than Taz. my first Show i went to, we "didn't deserve to see him wrestle," but his squashes were the best squashes ever. people may have found barely legal match underwhelming, but the build up to it was amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisto View Post
                    I double checked when I saw Fezz's post the other day. The list he sent me had "40. Kroffet"

The Gordy pop blew my mind when I watched it in 1998 because I hated (in the bad "go away" heat kind of way) Gordy & The Freebirds when I was young and thought he somehow managed to suck even harder as The Executioner in WWF. I couldn't understand why the ECW fans were going crazy for this turd. It would be like....I dunno ROH fans going bonkers for a surprise appearance by Dunn of Well Dunn. It was just the weirdest thing to 1998 me.

Of course I eventually came around on Gordy & the 'Birds when I made my way through Mid South/UWF a few years later but my first time seeing that pop during Gordy/Raven is one of the bigger mind screws I've ever experienced as a wrestling fan. The Dunn in ROH comparison is by no means hyperbole.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisto View Post
                      I double checked when I saw Fezz's post the other day. The list he sent me had "40. Kroffet"

The Gordy pop blew my mind when I watched it in 1998 because I hated (in the bad "go away" heat kind of way) Gordy & The Freebirds when I was young and thought he somehow managed to suck even harder as The Executioner in WWF. I couldn't understand why the ECW fans were going crazy for this turd. It would be like....I dunno ROH fans going bonkers for a surprise appearance by Dunn of Well Dunn. It was just the weirdest thing to 1998 me.

Of course I eventually came around on Gordy & the 'Birds when I made my way through Mid South/UWF a few years later but my first time seeing that pop during Gordy/Raven is one of the bigger mind screws I've ever experienced as a wrestling fan. The Dunn in ROH comparison is by no means hyperbole.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                        I couldn't understand why the ECW fans were going crazy for this turd.

Most of us thought he was never going to be able to wrestle again at that point. ECW logic was always the bigger they are a heel everywhere else, that bigger a face they are here. that explains why Terry Funk was such a hero. We were the same guys who cheered for Freebirds to beat the crap out of the Dynamic Dudes.

You would have liked that house show. pre-bwo did a freebirds parody until Sandman, Dreamer, and Bam Bam destroyed them. after him dying twice, we were all going crazy for seeing him in the flesh. maybe not the best work, but he gave that run everything he had left.
                        Last edited by Fisto; 05-13-2017, 01:31 AM.

Comment

I couldn't understand why the ECW fans were going crazy for this turd.

Most of us thought he was never going to be able to wrestle again at that point. ECW logic was always the bigger they are a heel everywhere else, that bigger a face they are here. that explains why Terry Funk was such a hero. We were the same guys who cheered for Freebirds to beat the crap out of the Dynamic Dudes.

You would have liked that house show. pre-bwo did a freebirds parody until Sandman, Dreamer, and Bam Bam destroyed them. after him dying twice, we were all going crazy for seeing him in the flesh. maybe not the best work, but he gave that run everything he had left.

Comment

B, I revised. I had two lists-----still high from 1997
                            "Don't break the Kayfabe"

Comment

B, I revised. I had two lists-----still high from 1997
                              "Don't break the Kayfabe"

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgore View Post
                                RVD: It took me a while to warm up to RVD. As a general rule, I hate "Karate Guys" in wrestling. I can't think of anything lamer than Karate. So at first, Van Dam struck me as (not as good) Sabu + Karate, and it was like, fuck you. Nobody ever watched Sabu and thought, "If only he did Karate!" Mr. Monday Night Era RVD is when I finally got it (although the 1996 Sabu feud has the best matches they ever had against each other). The slumming it in ECW character existed before RVD (best done by a certain Extreme Superstar previously), but RVD was a genuine ECW guy with this gimmick, so it was brilliant. RVD was better than everybody in Monday Night Wrestling, but he was stuck in a Bingo Hall and not quite pissed off about it because RVD didn't get pissed off, so mildly perturbed? At some point, when the workrate caught up to the swagger, and it became, RVD is better than everybody in Monday Night Wrestling, but he chooses to be here instead, you have (quite possibly) the most over wrestling in ECW history, which made a habit out of getting pretty much everybody over. Television Champion RVD was more over than I could ever describe, and Baker has come closest to describing it. He was like a folk hero. Most of the ECW legends are ECW legends because that was the only place they could have succeeded. That's what made the whole damn thing so endearing. Where else are Sandman, New Jack, Tommy Dreamer, The Public Enemy going to be legends? RVD as the guy who could sell out whenever he wants, but didn't, made him a special kind of over. This was clearly a choice. He flirted with it, but he never did, 'til the bitter end, wrestling the last real televised ECW match ever.

Taz:

Taz

3 Letters
                                1 Man
                                4 Feet

All time great sign, that I saw on Nitro, of all places. Considering their recent feud seemed to get a lot of groans here, it may have lost some of its luster, but Goldberg and Brock Lesnar, whether they know it or not, are doing Taz, and quite frankly, despite their vastly more successful careers, aren't doing it as well. A Suplex City ain't got shit on a Suplex Machine. I've seen Terminator. Machines destroy cities every single time. Taz was Brock and Heyman in one 4 foot body. He'll suplex the shit out of people, and cut ridiculously good promos before and after doing so. MMA fighting guy gimmicks are touchy in pro wrestling because both fanbases tend to like to keep their sports seperate for some strange reason, but because Taz was doing this so early, he transitioned from Tasmanic to Taz about 18 months after the first UFC, Taz wasn't really an "MMA" guy, he was just the greatest ass kicker in wrestling, like he had advanced to some higher plane of fucking people up. Heel Taz with Fonzie is my favorite Taz era. He just made a better heel, as this dickhead bully, and there's nothing better than a heel who is correct, which he was. Taz was also made for the chase. I suppose most are better suited to chase a title then have it (Ric Flair being an exception), but pissed off Taz, needed something in his sights to be at his most compelling. It's no coincidence that he was involved in the best built feud (Sabu), and the best built ECW Title Match (Shane Douglas), as Taz's chase of those two is everything pro wrestling should be about. He was obsessed. In retrospect, the best thing for his title run would have been an inversion of characters where somebody had become obsessed with him and they could build to that showdown, but personalities wouldn't really allow that. RVD would have been the guy, and him being obsessed wouldn't work, and neither would Taz not immediately fighting whichever dumb fuck wanted a piece of him. The build would have been thirty seconds. This is why his title reign was always destined to be anticlimactic. No matter, Taz was already an ECW legend by then, with 1996 Taz being one of the great wrestling characters of all time.

Sabu: When it comes to ECW, there's Sabu, and then everybody else. I think he's as clear a number one as their can be. My Sabu lovefests are probably tiresome, at this point, but I find it legit baffling how Sabu is a person. In my mind, he's like a mythical creature. I don't know how he invented his singular style. Like forget that you've seen him do it a hundred times, and just think for a second, who the fuck thinks of the triple jump moonsault? In 1993! Did you watch wrestling in 1993? How does that even happen? I'm not even trying to go on some "everybody is a pussy nowadays" rant, but we see how often people get injured in wrestling, in sports in general, and it's not that people are pussies, the human body is just fragile. Unless you're Sabu. Sabu wrestled a style more reckless than Foley, was durable the entire time, and not only didn't have the breaks Foley did, but worked full time until October of last year. Sabu is an alien, whose alien mind created the most innovative style of all time (not even hyperbole), and made him impervious to Earthling flaws like pain or fear. Intentional, or unintentional, this small fry promotion that we just celebrated was made entirely in Sabu's image. Did anybody sell the ECW image better? Every TV opening was like 60% Sabu. Did anybody sell more tapes? What does ECW even look like in 1994 if Sabu doesn't exist? Do PE break tables? Do the Dudley's ever break tables? Or the Hardy's? Does a Spanish Announce table ever get broken? What does wrestling look like without Sabu? I think we're talking about one of the most important wrestlers ever here and certainly the ECW Icon among other ECW icons.

ECW: My favorite wrestling thing ever. Props to ShinobiMusashi, the only reason I ended up here, all the folks at PW who keep ECW alive, and of course, Baker for running this thing. ECW nostalgia gives me the feels.

Finally, I just want to point out the Barely Legal Card, which turned 20, almost exactly a month ago:

The Eliminators vs. The Dudley Boyz
                                Rob Van Dam vs. Lance Storm
                                The Great Sasuke, Gran Hamada and Masato Yakushiji1 vs. bWo Japan (Taka Michinoku, Terry Boy and Dick Togo)
                                Shane Douglas (with Francine) vs. Pitbull #2
                                Taz (with Bill Alfonso) vs. Sabu
                                Terry Funk vs. The Sandman and Stevie Richards
                                Terry Funk vs. Raven

That's 9 of our Top 11 on a single card, with Tommy Dreamer being a part of the festivities, making it 10 of 11 (and you get the feeling Foley would have showed up too if he could). Who's the curtain jerkers? It's certainly not the Eliminators and Dudley's. Who's stuck in the midcard? It's certainly not Taz and Sabu. ECW transcended bullshit wrestling ceilings of openers, midcarders, main eventers. When ECW was rolling, every aspect of the show shared the same importance. It was a sum of its parts. Matches one through seven could all have a Top 10 guy in it, and they'll throw in one of the great six man tags in too for a bonus. January 1995 to June 1997, it was the best booked wrestling show of all time.

This is an excellent post. Love that Barely Legal observation. Doubt any other promotion has ever featured a pay per view with the top ten stars in their history spread out over the card like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X