Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Redoing the PWI Top 500

Originally posted by Baker View Post
    Forgot to mention I'm doing this from January 1st-December 31st like a normal person and not PWI or Meltzer.
    Either way you look at it Fujinami wrestled far more than 15 matches. https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=90&page=4&s=1100
    I got my numbers from ProFightDB, which I think only counts television matches, not house shows or live events.

Comment

Forgot to mention I'm doing this from January 1st-December 31st like a normal person and not PWI or Meltzer.
      Either way you look at it Fujinami wrestled far more than 15 matches. https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=90&page=4&s=1100
      I got my numbers from ProFightDB, which I think only counts television matches, not house shows or live events.

Comment

This is awesome. I've loved every post so far. But that's not surprising at all when it comes to Baker projects.

Question... Was Razor not rated in 1994, or is that just a typo?

: 04/02/11}:forever&always
        ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
        http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

Comment

This is awesome. I've loved every post so far. But that's not surprising at all when it comes to Baker projects.

: 04/02/11}:forever&always
          ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
          http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

Comment

Originally posted by PI View Post

Typo. Just fixed it.

1995 should be up later today. Wanted to go overboard with this year since it's a personal favorite but probably won't since there's not a lot of depth after #3.

Comment

Originally posted by PI View Post

Typo. Just fixed it.

1995 should be up later today. Wanted to go overboard with this year since it's a personal favorite but probably won't since there's not a lot of depth after #3.

Comment

This is an interesting and ultimately difficult thing to do. Each wrestling company has their own kayfabe essentially, so creating a grander all-encompassing kayfabe isn't the easiest. Do we just accept that the WWF always has the strongest talent because it is the biggest and most famous company? Since New Japan worked with other promotions, can we say more about its kayfabe strength than an insular promotion like All Japan?

For a fun example, Vader went from losing to rookie Edge in 1998 WWF to winning the 1999 Champion Carnival and the Triple Crown and defeating all the big All Japan names. Does this mean that the All Japan guys were levels beneath the top WWF guys kayfabe-wise? Or do we treat it as Vader regaining his desire and motivation?

Vader definitely should be higher in 1994 just for winning UWFi's Real Pro-Wrestling World Heavyweight Championship. Takada had made an open challenge to all the World Champions in 1993. Vader was man enough to answer that call and eventually won the title in a fed with a different style and rules.

Comment

This is an interesting and ultimately difficult thing to do. Each wrestling company has their own kayfabe essentially, so creating a grander all-encompassing kayfabe isn't the easiest. Do we just accept that the WWF always has the strongest talent because it is the biggest and most famous company? Since New Japan worked with other promotions, can we say more about its kayfabe strength than an insular promotion like All Japan?

For a fun example, Vader went from losing to rookie Edge in 1998 WWF to winning the 1999 Champion Carnival and the Triple Crown and defeating all the big All Japan names. Does this mean that the All Japan guys were levels beneath the top WWF guys kayfabe-wise? Or do we treat it as Vader regaining his desire and motivation?

Vader definitely should be higher in 1994 just for winning UWFi's Real Pro-Wrestling World Heavyweight Championship. Takada had made an open challenge to all the World Champions in 1993. Vader was man enough to answer that call and eventually won the title in a fed with a different style and rules.

Comment

This has definitely been a great read so far. I applaud the hell out of you Baker for taking on the task and thank you for sharing it. Awesome seeing Vader #1 in 1993.

Comment

This has definitely been a great read so far. I applaud the hell out of you Baker for taking on the task and thank you for sharing it. Awesome seeing Vader #1 in 1993.

Comment

Originally posted by Strobe View Post

I've lazily followed the PWI template which went something like....

WWF
                        WCW
                        Sabu
                        AJPW- Triple Crown champs tended to rank higher than IWGP champs for whatever reason
                        NJPW
                        ECW
                        USWA & SMW
                        Other
                        Heavyweights > Juniors

Still feel like I put more thought into it than goofy PWI though

-Wanted to go overboard with this one since it's the year my fandom reached its apex and I started reading PWI in the first place (including my 1st PWI 500!) but wimped out in the end. May expand to a Top 50 at some point.

http://www.profightdb.com/pwi-500/1995.html

1. Diesel (1)- Held WWF title for over ten months putting back challenges from Michaels, Sid & Mabel. Spent one night as a tag champ.

2. Hulk Hogan [6]- Held WCW title for almost ten months. Decimated Vader. Also feuded with Dungeon of Doom.

3. Bret Hart (4)- Won WWF title in November after winning feuds against Owen, Mr. Backlund, Hakushi, Lawler, Yankem & Lafitte.

4. Great Muta (13)- Defeated Hashimoto to regain IWGP Championship. Held the title for 8 months. Made at least one WCW PPV appearance.

5. Mitsuharu Misawa (10)- Defeated Hansen to regain AJPW Triple Crown in May. Continued to hold title by year's end.

6. Shawn Michaels (2)- Won Royal Rumble. Challenged for WWF title at Wrestlemania. Went good guy. Held IC title from July-October. Was WWF tag champ for a night.

7. Razor Ramon (9)- Began and end the year as IC champ.

8. Randy Savage (8)- Had a long feud with Flair. Won WCW title by winning the inaugural World War III. Held belt for a month.

9. Ric Flair (20)- Had long feud with Savage. Won WCW title at Starrcade. Wore a dress.

10. Sting (3)- Held US title for almost five months.

11. Jeff Jarrett (11)- Held IC title for six months. Hurt by leaving WWF in July. Also won USWA title in December.

12. Vader (7)- Started year as US Champ. Feuded with Hogan. Was stripped of belt and left WCW in August.

13. Shinya Hashimoto (134)- Held IWGP championship for first four months of the year.

14. Sandman (60)- Held ECW championship for 6 months in a year which saw the promotion's fanbase experience rapid growth.

15. Shane/Dean Douglas (28)- Opened year as ECW champion. Went to WWF. Was awesome. Some sources list him as an official IC champ.

16. Kensuke Sasaki (44)- Defeated Sting to win US title. Was top NJPW guy in the WCW vs. NJPW feud which culminated at Starrcade.

*PWI had Sabu at #5 this year because he sold magazines. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't bring myself to overrate the hell out of Sabu. He was gone from his home promotion for over half the year and only held the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title for a month. Sorry Kilgore.
                        Last edited by Baker; 02-15-2017, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Strobe View Post

I've lazily followed the PWI template which went something like....

WWF
                          WCW
                          Sabu
                          AJPW- Triple Crown champs tended to rank higher than IWGP champs for whatever reason
                          NJPW
                          ECW
                          USWA & SMW
                          Other
                          Heavyweights > Juniors

Still feel like I put more thought into it than goofy PWI though

-Wanted to go overboard with this one since it's the year my fandom reached its apex and I started reading PWI in the first place (including my 1st PWI 500!) but wimped out in the end. May expand to a Top 50 at some point.

http://www.profightdb.com/pwi-500/1995.html

1. Diesel (1)- Held WWF title for over ten months putting back challenges from Michaels, Sid & Mabel. Spent one night as a tag champ.

2. Hulk Hogan [6]- Held WCW title for almost ten months. Decimated Vader. Also feuded with Dungeon of Doom.

3. Bret Hart (4)- Won WWF title in November after winning feuds against Owen, Mr. Backlund, Hakushi, Lawler, Yankem & Lafitte.

4. Great Muta (13)- Defeated Hashimoto to regain IWGP Championship. Held the title for 8 months. Made at least one WCW PPV appearance.

5. Mitsuharu Misawa (10)- Defeated Hansen to regain AJPW Triple Crown in May. Continued to hold title by year's end.

6. Shawn Michaels (2)- Won Royal Rumble. Challenged for WWF title at Wrestlemania. Went good guy. Held IC title from July-October. Was WWF tag champ for a night.

7. Razor Ramon (9)- Began and end the year as IC champ.

8. Randy Savage (8)- Had a long feud with Flair. Won WCW title by winning the inaugural World War III. Held belt for a month.

9. Ric Flair (20)- Had long feud with Savage. Won WCW title at Starrcade. Wore a dress.

10. Sting (3)- Held US title for almost five months.

11. Jeff Jarrett (11)- Held IC title for six months. Hurt by leaving WWF in July. Also won USWA title in December.

12. Vader (7)- Started year as US Champ. Feuded with Hogan. Was stripped of belt and left WCW in August.

13. Shinya Hashimoto (134)- Held IWGP championship for first four months of the year.

14. Sandman (60)- Held ECW championship for 6 months in a year which saw the promotion's fanbase experience rapid growth.

15. Shane/Dean Douglas (28)- Opened year as ECW champion. Went to WWF. Was awesome. Some sources list him as an official IC champ.

16. Kensuke Sasaki (44)- Defeated Sting to win US title. Was top NJPW guy in the WCW vs. NJPW feud which culminated at Starrcade.

*PWI had Sabu at #5 this year because he sold magazines. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't bring myself to overrate the hell out of Sabu. He was gone from his home promotion for over half the year and only held the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title for a month. Sorry Kilgore.

Comment

I'm going all out and working on something epic for 1996. Should be up later today. Tomorrow morning at the latest.

Comment

I'm going all out and working on something epic for 1996. Should be up later today. Tomorrow morning at the latest.

Comment

I remember PWI (and myself for that matter) ragging on Hogan for not defending his belt frequently, I'm surprised he got as high as number 6 on the real list. It was a bit of a shot putting US Champ Sting at 3. Plus Sting was frequently higher up in the monthly rankings than Hogan, just an observation.

Looking forward to what's in store for '96.

Comment

Working...
                                X