Inside The Magazine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside The Magazine

Recently, I started a column where I look inside various wrestling magazines from back in day so see what was popular in the world of wrestling. Magazines will include WWF Magazine, WWE RAW & Smackdown, The Wrestler, Inside Wrestling, Pro Wrestling Illustrated and other ones. I've done three thus far.

The Wrestler from June '95

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/08/...estle-june-95/

WWF Magazine from November '92

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/08/...e-november-92/

WWF The Wrestler October '94

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/09/...er-october-94/

If you have any suggestion for magazines or memories of the magazines mentioned thus far, discuss them!

Re: Inside The Magazine

A topic close to my heart. Keep it up. I did a few magazine reviews here a while back and Fezz has been known to drop one from time to time.

Do a 1996 mag next. That was my Golden Age of rasslin' magazines.

Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down was one of my favorite Apter Mag features.

Comment

A topic close to my heart. Keep it up. I did a few magazine reviews here a while back and Fezz has been known to drop one from time to time.

Do a 1996 mag next. That was my Golden Age of rasslin' magazines.

Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down was one of my favorite Apter Mag features.

Comment

Wow, yeah, I really enjoyed these. Good stuff. I remember The Wrestler was like the cheaper mag back in the day so that was usually the one I got.

Comment

Wow, yeah, I really enjoyed these. Good stuff. I remember The Wrestler was like the cheaper mag back in the day so that was usually the one I got.

Comment

We were checking out some old mags here in a thread a couple years back

http://forums.prowrestling.com/showt...513&highlight=

I recommend the late nineties WOWs, or any non-WWF/WCW mag from the late eighties.

$

Comment

We were checking out some old mags here in a thread a couple years back

http://forums.prowrestling.com/showt...513&highlight=

I recommend the late nineties WOWs, or any non-WWF/WCW mag from the late eighties.

$

Comment

Inside The Magazine Volume #4: Inside Wrestling April '94. Featuring the 1994 Computer Challenge Tournament! https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/09/...ling-april-94/

Also features... Yokozuna wanting to quit? Lex Luger and his inability to win or want the WWF World Championship, plus more!

Glad you guys enjoy these! I currently have about 170+ magazines with dozens more coming this week! So, there will be plenty of material moving forward!

Comment

Inside The Magazine Volume #4: Inside Wrestling April '94. Featuring the 1994 Computer Challenge Tournament! https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/09/...ling-april-94/

Also features... Yokozuna wanting to quit? Lex Luger and his inability to win or want the WWF World Championship, plus more!

Glad you guys enjoy these! I currently have about 170+ magazines with dozens more coming this week! So, there will be plenty of material moving forward!

Comment

Always looked forward to the computer challenge tournaments, match-ups like Sabu and Sting (43 minutes is a little excessive for these two) and Ramon and Rude were always fascinating to read about. Tracey Smothers beating Taker? wow. Rude was a monster and a surprise winner, little did they know a few months later his career would be over.

Scott Putski learning from Warrior, lol.

Nice to revisit the mostly forgotten Ron Simmons heel turn in WCW and the constant hinting at that time of Hennig jumping to WCW. Heenan even hinted at it during the Clash where they did the Nancy Kerrigan angle with Hogan ("I would say it was the perfect plan.")

Beavis and Butt Head watching Sabu vs. Funk, the fact that it was poorly written makes me want to read it more. This was a few years before I got the Apter mag bug.

Comment

Always looked forward to the computer challenge tournaments, match-ups like Sabu and Sting (43 minutes is a little excessive for these two) and Ramon and Rude were always fascinating to read about. Tracey Smothers beating Taker? wow. Rude was a monster and a surprise winner, little did they know a few months later his career would be over.

Nice to revisit the mostly forgotten Ron Simmons heel turn in WCW and the constant hinting at that time of Hennig jumping to WCW. Heenan even hinted at it during the Clash where they did the Nancy Kerrigan angle with Hogan ("I would say it was the perfect plan.")

Beavis and Butt Head watching Sabu vs. Funk, the fact that it was poorly written makes me want to read it more. This was a few years before I got the Apter mag bug.

Comment

Originally posted by The Icon View Post

Glad you read it and enjoyed it! I'm having a fun time doing this, even if the write-ups take a little while to accomplish since I'm reading the entire magazine as I go, haha.

Perhaps I could take pictures of the Funk/Sabu article with my phone and post it on here to be read. It's truly awful. It came across as if a 45-year old man was trying to be hip and cool and just failed horribly. I was half-expecting a serious piece on Sabu/Funk and instead got that garbage. Really disappointed in it.

When I saw Smothers beat Taker I laughed out loud, literally. So bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by The Icon View Post

Glad you read it and enjoyed it! I'm having a fun time doing this, even if the write-ups take a little while to accomplish since I'm reading the entire magazine as I go, haha.

Perhaps I could take pictures of the Funk/Sabu article with my phone and post it on here to be read. It's truly awful. It came across as if a 45-year old man was trying to be hip and cool and just failed horribly. I was half-expecting a serious piece on Sabu/Funk and instead got that garbage. Really disappointed in it.

When I saw Smothers beat Taker I laughed out loud, literally. So bizarre.

Comment

That Beavis and Butthead bit reminds me of a cartoon in one of those mags poking fun at the WWF vs. WCW war titled something like Vincis and Butt-Ted. Somebody on that Apter Mag staff had to have been a big Beavis & Butthead fan.

The computer challenge tournament was a fun concept. I reviewed the 1996 tourney a while back....

Spoiler

As for the 1994 edition.....

Smothers beating Taker is just too much. Don't know how I would have taken that at the time. I missed Smothers WCW run so he would have been new to me. I'd like to think I would have scoffed at such a result but there's a chance it would have had the opposite effect and made me think Tracy Smothers was some kind of world class super badass. I've often mentioned how the Apter Mags were great at building up the stars of 'lesser' regional promotions (USWA, SMW, ECW) and this is a great example. It definitely would have made me want to see some Tracy Smothers (he beat The Undertaker~!) had I been reading this in 1994. Good thing I didn't. I would have been so disappointed. It probably would have made me doubt everything I ever read in an Apter Mag from there on out. Even seeing 'unknowns' like Brian Lee & Sabu mixing it up with the big boys would have peaked my interest in those guys. Those 'Tier Two' promotions probably benefited the most from the Apter Mags.

Lawler over Michaels is another surprise finish and further proof that Lawler was yet another Apter Mag darling. "The King" was so interesting to me when I learned about his heel in WWF/babyface god in Memphis dual personalities. It's why he was one of the first wrestlers I sought out once I had money and access to tapes.

Lots of long matches in that bad boy. Too bad Bret & Rude were in different promotions. A Bret vs. Rude feud at any time from 91-94 would have been fun.

Rude himself is a surprise winner. I never would have predicted that.

David Rosenbaum was ahead of his time. SMW Bob Armstrong probably would be perceived as the heel today. Of course he was treated as the big babyface by 1994 SMW fans.

Matt Brock sure was right about The Boss.

That Yokozuna story looks like classic Apter Mag fluff.

Can't wait for the next one

Comment

That Beavis and Butthead bit reminds me of a cartoon in one of those mags poking fun at the WWF vs. WCW war titled something like Vincis and Butt-Ted. Somebody on that Apter Mag staff had to have been a big Beavis & Butthead fan.

The computer challenge tournament was a fun concept. I reviewed the 1996 tourney a while back....

Spoiler

As for the 1994 edition.....

Smothers beating Taker is just too much. Don't know how I would have taken that at the time. I missed Smothers WCW run so he would have been new to me. I'd like to think I would have scoffed at such a result but there's a chance it would have had the opposite effect and made me think Tracy Smothers was some kind of world class super badass. I've often mentioned how the Apter Mags were great at building up the stars of 'lesser' regional promotions (USWA, SMW, ECW) and this is a great example. It definitely would have made me want to see some Tracy Smothers (he beat The Undertaker~!) had I been reading this in 1994. Good thing I didn't. I would have been so disappointed. It probably would have made me doubt everything I ever read in an Apter Mag from there on out. Even seeing 'unknowns' like Brian Lee & Sabu mixing it up with the big boys would have peaked my interest in those guys. Those 'Tier Two' promotions probably benefited the most from the Apter Mags.

Lawler over Michaels is another surprise finish and further proof that Lawler was yet another Apter Mag darling. "The King" was so interesting to me when I learned about his heel in WWF/babyface god in Memphis dual personalities. It's why he was one of the first wrestlers I sought out once I had money and access to tapes.

Lots of long matches in that bad boy. Too bad Bret & Rude were in different promotions. A Bret vs. Rude feud at any time from 91-94 would have been fun.

Rude himself is a surprise winner. I never would have predicted that.

David Rosenbaum was ahead of his time. SMW Bob Armstrong probably would be perceived as the heel today. Of course he was treated as the big babyface by 1994 SMW fans.

Matt Brock sure was right about The Boss.

That Yokozuna story looks like classic Apter Mag fluff.

Can't wait for the next one

Comment

Working...
                              X