Inside The Magazine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Inside The Magazine

Interesting, back to back separate articles on a fresh faced Scott Taylor and Brian Christopher. Luger almost sweeping HHH in the top 10 showdown made me smile. Malenko sure was the Apter mag darling in '97 fresh off of his number 1 ranking in the 500 he gets more votes than Vader. Jericho over Mankind seems like a curious pick too.

I would be so tempted to replace all of Ole Anderson's comments in the x-ray column to "he's the shits."

Comment

Interesting, back to back separate articles on a fresh faced Scott Taylor and Brian Christopher. Luger almost sweeping HHH in the top 10 showdown made me smile. Malenko sure was the Apter mag darling in '97 fresh off of his number 1 ranking in the 500 he gets more votes than Vader. Jericho over Mankind seems like a curious pick too.

I would be so tempted to replace all of Ole Anderson's comments in the x-ray column to "he's the shits."

Comment

To go along with Inside The Magazine series, I'll add the "A Look Back At" series to this as well, since it's based on magazines. This one is for the PWI 500. I take a look at some top names and interesting names and see what they did during the grading period to warrant their spot on the list.

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2014/12/...-500-rankings/

Comment

To go along with Inside The Magazine series, I'll add the "A Look Back At" series to this as well, since it's based on magazines. This one is for the PWI 500. I take a look at some top names and interesting names and see what they did during the grading period to warrant their spot on the list.

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2014/12/...-500-rankings/

Comment

Just a reminder, but I believe the grading period for the 500 is from the summer of the previous year to the summer of the current year. That could explain some of the wonky rankings.

Comment

Just a reminder, but I believe the grading period for the 500 is from the summer of the previous year to the summer of the current year. That could explain some of the wonky rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by The Icon View Post
                Yeah, they didn't make that clear I believe. I note that in the future installments that it's from a different timeframe.

Comment

Originally posted by The Icon View Post
                  Yeah, they didn't make that clear I believe. I note that in the future installments that it's from a different timeframe.

Comment

Make PWI 500 reviews through 2000 your next regular thing. Now I want to go back and fix them all Hard to believe I put so much stock in those goofy ratings from 95-97. So here is how the 1991 Top 10 13 should look....

*I'm going January 1, 1990 through December 31, 1990 because I am a normal human being and not PWI or Dave Meltzer.

1. Hulk Hogan (1)
                    2. Lex Luger (2)
                    3. Ric Flair (3)

-No arguments here. Hogan was still the biggest star in wrestling. Held WWF title most of the year. Won Rumble. Main evented multiple PPVs.
                    Luger's career year in kayfabe. His long US title run gives him the nod over Flair.
                    4. Tatsumi Fujinami (NR)- Guess PWI wasn't acknowledging Japan's best this early in their 500 history? Fuj held the IWGP Championship most of the year, was involved in NWA Title controversy w/ Flair, and main evented a US PPV. Good enough for the #4 spot. Crazy that he wasn't rated at all given his bit of US exposure.
                    5. Sting (5)- PWI gets this one right. Opened the year as NWA champ. Held US title for 3 months. Was seen as the face of his company by this point.
                    6. Undertaker (NR)- The Deadman was robbed. How the hell was he not ranked AT ALL!?!? Stupid PWI.....Undefeated on TV for most of the year. Beat Hulk Hogan. On PPV. For the WWF Title. Easily Top 10 worthy.
                    7. Jumbo Tsuruta (176)- Held the All Japan Triple Crown for most of the year.
                    8. Bret Hart (21)- Opened the year as 1/2 of WWF Tag Champs. Was into his 5th month as IC champ by year's end. A breakout year for "The Hitman."
                    9. Jake Roberts (23)- I'll admit there's some smarkiness going into this rating. '91 was Jake's career year from a character standpoint. He was arguably WWF's MVP having memorable feuds & angles w/ Martel, Warrior & Savage.
                    10. Ultimate Warrior (11)- Pulled his first Warrior to miss the last few months. Gave him the 10 spot over Perfect. Both were big time players for 2/3rds of the year. Warrior started the year as WWF champ, had an epic match w/ Savage at 'Mania, main evented Summerslam, handed 'Taker his first series of losses on the house show circuit, and was involved in some memorable angles.

11. Mr. Perfect (13)- Was IC champ for 2/3rds of the year. Only misses the Top 10 due to inactivity over the last few months and being less of a 'star' than Warrior.
                    12. Sgt. Slaughter (36)- Yeah, his decline was every bit as precipitous as his rise, but he still beat the Warrior to become WWF Champion at Royal Rumble, main evented Wrestlemania against Hulk f'n Hogan, and main evented Summerslam. That's good enough for the Top 15 in a rather weak year.
                    13. Randy Savage (4)- This is the absolute highest I could possibly put Savage, who was out of action for 8 months, but was really, really good when he was active.

Comment

Make PWI 500 reviews through 2000 your next regular thing. Now I want to go back and fix them all Hard to believe I put so much stock in those goofy ratings from 95-97. So here is how the 1991 Top 10 13 should look....

*I'm going January 1, 1990 through December 31, 1990 because I am a normal human being and not PWI or Dave Meltzer.

1. Hulk Hogan (1)
                      2. Lex Luger (2)
                      3. Ric Flair (3)

-No arguments here. Hogan was still the biggest star in wrestling. Held WWF title most of the year. Won Rumble. Main evented multiple PPVs.
                      Luger's career year in kayfabe. His long US title run gives him the nod over Flair.
                      4. Tatsumi Fujinami (NR)- Guess PWI wasn't acknowledging Japan's best this early in their 500 history? Fuj held the IWGP Championship most of the year, was involved in NWA Title controversy w/ Flair, and main evented a US PPV. Good enough for the #4 spot. Crazy that he wasn't rated at all given his bit of US exposure.
                      5. Sting (5)- PWI gets this one right. Opened the year as NWA champ. Held US title for 3 months. Was seen as the face of his company by this point.
                      6. Undertaker (NR)- The Deadman was robbed. How the hell was he not ranked AT ALL!?!? Stupid PWI.....Undefeated on TV for most of the year. Beat Hulk Hogan. On PPV. For the WWF Title. Easily Top 10 worthy.
                      8. Bret Hart (21)- Opened the year as 1/2 of WWF Tag Champs. Was into his 5th month as IC champ by year's end. A breakout year for "The Hitman."
                      9. Jake Roberts (23)- I'll admit there's some smarkiness going into this rating. '91 was Jake's career year from a character standpoint. He was arguably WWF's MVP having memorable feuds & angles w/ Martel, Warrior & Savage.
                      10. Ultimate Warrior (11)- Pulled his first Warrior to miss the last few months. Gave him the 10 spot over Perfect. Both were big time players for 2/3rds of the year. Warrior started the year as WWF champ, had an epic match w/ Savage at 'Mania, main evented Summerslam, handed 'Taker his first series of losses on the house show circuit, and was involved in some memorable angles.

11. Mr. Perfect (13)- Was IC champ for 2/3rds of the year. Only misses the Top 10 due to inactivity over the last few months and being less of a 'star' than Warrior.
                      12. Sgt. Slaughter (36)- Yeah, his decline was every bit as precipitous as his rise, but he still beat the Warrior to become WWF Champion at Royal Rumble, main evented Wrestlemania against Hulk f'n Hogan, and main evented Summerslam. That's good enough for the Top 15 in a rather weak year.
                      13. Randy Savage (4)- This is the absolute highest I could possibly put Savage, who was out of action for 8 months, but was really, really good when he was active.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post

1. Hulk Hogan (1)
                        2. Lex Luger (2)
                        3. Ric Flair (3)

I have them all, and that's the plan! To do them all.

- - - Updated - - -

Inside The Magazine Volume #12: The Wrestler Winter '95: Features, the following:

- What fear is preventing the Steiner Brothers from joining WCW or the WWF.
                        - A preview for a possible match between Sting and Hulk Hogan at Starrcade.
                        - How the Undertaker got freshened up by Dr. Isaac Yankeem
                        - The Heavenly Bodies want the WWF World Tag Team Championships, but Jim Cornette won't let it happen.
                        - Introducing Stevie Richards
                        - Q&A with Arn Anderson

Plus, much more! HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post

1. Hulk Hogan (1)
                          2. Lex Luger (2)
                          3. Ric Flair (3)

I have them all, and that's the plan! To do them all.

- - - Updated - - -

Inside The Magazine Volume #12: The Wrestler Winter '95: Features, the following:

- What fear is preventing the Steiner Brothers from joining WCW or the WWF.
                          - A preview for a possible match between Sting and Hulk Hogan at Starrcade.
                          - How the Undertaker got freshened up by Dr. Isaac Yankeem
                          - The Heavenly Bodies want the WWF World Tag Team Championships, but Jim Cornette won't let it happen.
                          - Introducing Stevie Richards
                          - Q&A with Arn Anderson

Plus, much more! HERE

Comment

At Look Back At The 1992 PWI 500 https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2014/12/...-500-rankings/

Comment

At Look Back At The 1992 PWI 500 https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2014/12/...-500-rankings/

Comment

Very cool stuff. I loved the PWI 500 issues. Also took a look at the ECW Resurgence fan fiction on your site and that is also pretty dope.

Comment

Working...
                                X