Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Inside The Magazine

Originally posted by Baker View Post
    Lawler over Michaels is another surprise finish and further proof that Lawler was yet another Apter Mag darling. "The King" was so interesting to me when I learned about his heel in WWF/babyface god in Memphis dual personalities. It's why he was one of the first wrestlers I sought out once I had money and access to tapes.
    This reminds me of two of my friends who were buying the magazines before me bantering about Lawler being a 25 time world champion and me thinking "that clown was a 25 time world champion? Yeah right." It was a shock to me as well finding out that he was one of the all time greats just after he joined the WWF.

Comment

Lawler over Michaels is another surprise finish and further proof that Lawler was yet another Apter Mag darling. "The King" was so interesting to me when I learned about his heel in WWF/babyface god in Memphis dual personalities. It's why he was one of the first wrestlers I sought out once I had money and access to tapes.
      This reminds me of two of my friends who were buying the magazines before me bantering about Lawler being a 25 time world champion and me thinking "that clown was a 25 time world champion? Yeah right." It was a shock to me as well finding out that he was one of the all time greats just after he joined the WWF.

Comment

That Beavis and Butthead bit reminds me of a cartoon in one of those mags poking fun at the WWF vs. WCW war titled something like Vincis and Butt-Ted. Somebody on that Apter Mag staff had to have been a big Beavis & Butthead fan.

The computer challenge tournament was a fun concept. I reviewed the 1996 tourney a while back....

Spoiler

As for the 1994 edition.....

Smothers beating Taker is just too much. Don't know how I would have taken that at the time. I missed Smothers WCW run so he would have been new to me. I'd like to think I would have scoffed at such a result but there's a chance it would have had the opposite effect and made me think Tracy Smothers was some kind of world class super badass. I've often mentioned how the Apter Mags were great at building up the stars of 'lesser' regional promotions (USWA, SMW, ECW) and this is a great example. It definitely would have made me want to see some Tracy Smothers (he beat The Undertaker~!) had I been reading this in 1994. Good thing I didn't. I would have been so disappointed. It probably would have made me doubt everything I ever read in an Apter Mag from there on out. Even seeing 'unknowns' like Brian Lee & Sabu mixing it up with the big boys would have peaked my interest in those guys. Those 'Tier Two' promotions probably benefited the most from the Apter Mags.

Lots of long matches in that bad boy. Too bad Bret & Rude were in different promotions. A Bret vs. Rude feud at any time from 91-94 would have been fun.

Rude himself is a surprise winner. I never would have predicted that.

David Rosenbaum was ahead of his time. SMW Bob Armstrong probably would be perceived as the heel today. Of course he was treated as the big babyface by 1994 SMW fans.

Matt Brock sure was right about The Boss.

That Yokozuna story looks like classic Apter Mag fluff.

Can't wait for the next one

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for reading!

Comment

That Beavis and Butthead bit reminds me of a cartoon in one of those mags poking fun at the WWF vs. WCW war titled something like Vincis and Butt-Ted. Somebody on that Apter Mag staff had to have been a big Beavis & Butthead fan.

The computer challenge tournament was a fun concept. I reviewed the 1996 tourney a while back....

Spoiler

As for the 1994 edition.....

Smothers beating Taker is just too much. Don't know how I would have taken that at the time. I missed Smothers WCW run so he would have been new to me. I'd like to think I would have scoffed at such a result but there's a chance it would have had the opposite effect and made me think Tracy Smothers was some kind of world class super badass. I've often mentioned how the Apter Mags were great at building up the stars of 'lesser' regional promotions (USWA, SMW, ECW) and this is a great example. It definitely would have made me want to see some Tracy Smothers (he beat The Undertaker~!) had I been reading this in 1994. Good thing I didn't. I would have been so disappointed. It probably would have made me doubt everything I ever read in an Apter Mag from there on out. Even seeing 'unknowns' like Brian Lee & Sabu mixing it up with the big boys would have peaked my interest in those guys. Those 'Tier Two' promotions probably benefited the most from the Apter Mags.

Lots of long matches in that bad boy. Too bad Bret & Rude were in different promotions. A Bret vs. Rude feud at any time from 91-94 would have been fun.

Rude himself is a surprise winner. I never would have predicted that.

David Rosenbaum was ahead of his time. SMW Bob Armstrong probably would be perceived as the heel today. Of course he was treated as the big babyface by 1994 SMW fans.

Matt Brock sure was right about The Boss.

That Yokozuna story looks like classic Apter Mag fluff.

Can't wait for the next one

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for reading!

Comment

Inside The Magazine Volume #5: PWI July '93. Features, Paul Bearer sacrificing the Undertaker to Yokozuna, Ric Flair and Rick Rude both in WCW and their egos, WWF World Champion Bret Hart being a fighting champion, WCW World Champion Vader sits down for the press conference, and will Hulk Hogan make up his might, wrestling or Hollywood?

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/09/...5-pwi-july-93/

Comment

Inside The Magazine Volume #5: PWI July '93. Features, Paul Bearer sacrificing the Undertaker to Yokozuna, Ric Flair and Rick Rude both in WCW and their egos, WWF World Champion Bret Hart being a fighting champion, WCW World Champion Vader sits down for the press conference, and will Hulk Hogan make up his might, wrestling or Hollywood?

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/09/...5-pwi-july-93/

Comment

Not much going on in that one.

Most interesting things were Doinkamania (was that written by committed Letters to the Editor troll Harry Simon?) and the Bruise Brothers bit. I didn't know the Bruise Brothers had an angle during this blink and you miss it WCW run. Hell, I didn't even know this run existed until a few years ago. See, the Bruise Brothers had built up a small buzz (probably aided by the Apter Mags), signed with WCW, were promptly squashed Flair & Sting in a throwaway match, and disappeared back to what was left of the territories for two more years.

Edit: OK, so it was actually Hogan & Sting who squashed the Bruise Brothers in a one off 1994 appearance.

Comment

Not much going on in that one.

Most interesting things were Doinkamania (was that written by committed Letters to the Editor troll Harry Simon?) and the Bruise Brothers bit. I didn't know the Bruise Brothers had an angle during this blink and you miss it WCW run. Hell, I didn't even know this run existed until a few years ago. See, the Bruise Brothers had built up a small buzz (probably aided by the Apter Mags), signed with WCW, were promptly squashed Flair & Sting in a throwaway match, and disappeared back to what was left of the territories for two more years.

Edit: OK, so it was actually Hogan & Sting who squashed the Bruise Brothers in a one off 1994 appearance.

Comment

Inside The Magazine Volume #6: Wrestle America September '92 :

featuring the curse Papa Shango put on Ultimate Warrior, the friendship between Nikita Koloff and Sting, plus what would happen in a dream match between Bret and Owen Hart. https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/09/...-september-92/

Comment

Inside The Magazine Volume #6: Wrestle America September '92 :

featuring the curse Papa Shango put on Ultimate Warrior, the friendship between Nikita Koloff and Sting, plus what would happen in a dream match between Bret and Owen Hart. https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/09/...-september-92/

Comment

Inside The Magazine Volume #7: Inside Wrestling December '95, Highlighted in the magazine is the issues between Vader and the duo of Arn Anderson & Ric Flair. Paul Bearer tried to recruit Kama to join the Undertaker? The Ultimate Warrior is coming for Renegade? The Gangstas invade Public Enemy’s turf and much more!

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/11/...g-december-95/

Comment

Inside The Magazine Volume #7: Inside Wrestling December '95, Highlighted in the magazine is the issues between Vader and the duo of Arn Anderson & Ric Flair. Paul Bearer tried to recruit Kama to join the Undertaker? The Ultimate Warrior is coming for Renegade? The Gangstas invade Public Enemy’s turf and much more!

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/11/...g-december-95/

Comment

Whoa, some twilight one shit going on. I could have swore I posted in this thread last night. I'm losing my mind.

Comment

Whoa, some twilight one shit going on. I could have swore I posted in this thread last night. I'm losing my mind.

Comment

Inside The Magazine Volume #8: Pro Wrestling Illustrated May '96

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/12/...-8-pwi-may-96/

Giant goes to Japan, Ric Flair demands an apology, Goldust has gone too far, Dan Severn is interviewed for Press Conference, the Raven/Dreamer feud is going to kill them and much more.

Comment

Working...
                                X