Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Inside The Magazine

Originally posted by WrestlingRecap View Post
    I completely agree with Luger and Doink heel characters. Luger as the Narcissist should have gotten a run as champion, in my opinion. Doink was so fresh and different that I loved it. Bourne had it for what nine months and people still talk about it. He was awesome. And, he could work well in-ring with the gimmick. He had a good match with Savage on RAW and with Jannetty, too.
    I understand why they turned Luger face but as a Narcissist fan I hated it. Lex went from hero to zero in my eyes with the face turn. Narcissist as an upper card heel in the mid 90s would have been so much better than Luger as a failed upper card face. Felt like they were building to a big Bret/Narcissist feud coming out of Wrestlemania 9 but it never really took off.

Don't forget about the Doink/Perfect series either. They were among the first matches I viewed as 'good' despite my total lack of caring about match quality/workrate.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
      I understand why they turned Luger face but as a Narcissist fan I hated it. Lex went from hero to zero in my eyes with the face turn. Narcissist as an upper card heel in the mid 90s would have been so much better than Luger as a failed upper card face. Felt like they were building to a big Bret/Narcissist feud coming out of Wrestlemania 9 but it never really took off.

Don't forget about the Doink/Perfect series either. They were among the first matches I viewed as 'good' despite my total lack of caring about match quality/workrate.
      Oh they were. The attack at the Mania press conference and main events on house shows throughout May was the direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post

Oh they were. The attack at the Mania press conference and main events on house shows throughout May was the direction.

Comment

Originally posted by WrestlingRecap
          MAAAAAAN... That probably would've been much better than the Bret-Yoko II.
          First set of inductees for Titans: Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Shawn Michaels, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and The Undertaker

Comment

Originally posted by WrestlingRecap
            MAAAAAAN... That probably would've been much better than the Bret-Yoko II.
            First set of inductees for Titans: Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Shawn Michaels, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and The Undertaker

Comment

Ricky Steamboat and Shane Douglas don’t like the criticism they’ve gotten in WCW. Dustin Rhodes is bummed about Barry Windham turning on him. Does Randy Savage need a break from wrestling? Being a smaller wrestler is in instead of being a larger than life persona. Kevin Sullivan recent attacks and blood feud with Brian Lee in SMW. All this plus much more in the magazine, WrestleAmerica April '93!

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/05/...ca-april-1993/

Comment

Ricky Steamboat and Shane Douglas don’t like the criticism they’ve gotten in WCW. Dustin Rhodes is bummed about Barry Windham turning on him. Does Randy Savage need a break from wrestling? Being a smaller wrestler is in instead of being a larger than life persona. Kevin Sullivan recent attacks and blood feud with Brian Lee in SMW. All this plus much more in the magazine, WrestleAmerica April '93!

Comment

I don't really remember Nurse Vanessa. Name is vaguely familiar but that's about it. Will have to look her up after this post.

Sara from Pennsylvania is my girl. She's spot on about Bigelow.

Pamela from Oklahoma not so much. She's probably just another Apter persona. No real person could possibly hate early Doink.

Apter is way off in this issue. The Steiners in WWF was not a good fit, Doink ruled, and Jimmy Snuka had sucked for years.

Rod Price did have a good look.

Ellner was pretty savage there. Got some things right. Others wrong. I bet he came around on Mr. Backlund though.

I didn't know Kerry worked USWA around this time and don't remember a Simmons/Doc match/feud at all.

Awesome pic of Muta.

Yep. Douglas & Steamboat were merely the best of a bad lot as proven by the fact that the superior Hollywood Blondes got the better of them and sent a young Douglas packing.

That Barry/Dustin angle was cool and "The Anguish of Betrayal Is Still An Open Wound" is such a glorious Apter Mag headline.

I thought Mr. Nanny came out a few years before this.

They were right about WWF transitioning away from super heavyweights. Just a little too early. In many ways 1993 was the last gasp of super heavyweights with Yoko & Vader holding the Big Two titles for most of the year.

"Road Warrior Hawk, perhaps the hottest American wrestler" Good one, guys.

Looked like a pretty good issue overall.

I had just gotten back into watching WCW at the time after seeing very little since the Black Scorpion angle. I was digging it because Yay! More wrestling! They had a nice mix of familiar faces and new guys. WWF was WWF. Maybe not the best era but not the worst either. I always watched and enjoyed it to some extent back then.

Edit: OK, after doing a minute of research I'm convinced Nurse Vanessa and/or her guy "Dr. Johnny Wildside" (whoever that is) had to be among those who paid Apter for publicity.

Comment

I don't really remember Nurse Vanessa. Name is vaguely familiar but that's about it. Will have to look her up after this post.

Sara from Pennsylvania is my girl. She's spot on about Bigelow.

Pamela from Oklahoma not so much. She's probably just another Apter persona. No real person could possibly hate early Doink.

Apter is way off in this issue. The Steiners in WWF was not a good fit, Doink ruled, and Jimmy Snuka had sucked for years.

Rod Price did have a good look.

Ellner was pretty savage there. Got some things right. Others wrong. I bet he came around on Mr. Backlund though.

I didn't know Kerry worked USWA around this time and don't remember a Simmons/Doc match/feud at all.

Awesome pic of Muta.

Yep. Douglas & Steamboat were merely the best of a bad lot as proven by the fact that the superior Hollywood Blondes got the better of them and sent a young Douglas packing.

That Barry/Dustin angle was cool and "The Anguish of Betrayal Is Still An Open Wound" is such a glorious Apter Mag headline.

I thought Mr. Nanny came out a few years before this.

They were right about WWF transitioning away from super heavyweights. Just a little too early. In many ways 1993 was the last gasp of super heavyweights with Yoko & Vader holding the Big Two titles for most of the year.

"Road Warrior Hawk, perhaps the hottest American wrestler" Good one, guys.

Looked like a pretty good issue overall.

I had just gotten back into watching WCW at the time after seeing very little since the Black Scorpion angle. I was digging it because Yay! More wrestling! They had a nice mix of familiar faces and new guys. WWF was WWF. Maybe not the best era but not the worst either. I always watched and enjoyed it to some extent back then.

Edit: OK, after doing a minute of research I'm convinced Nurse Vanessa and/or her guy "Dr. Johnny Wildside" (whoever that is) had to be among those who paid Apter for publicity.

Comment

Inside The Magazine Volume #22: PWI February 1995

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/05/...february-1995/

Comment

Inside The Magazine Volume #22: PWI February 1995

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/05/...february-1995/

Comment

Ah yes, the parental advisory issue, this one caught my eye when it was on the news stand. At this time though my magazine budget was still devoted to comic books which is a big reason why I didn't start getting PWI until a few years later. I was still enjoying the prospects of Hogan in WCW since I was still pretty naive to all the backstage goings on with the Hulkster. I couldn't wait for his eventual feud with Vader as that had been a lower tier dream match of mine since Vader started winning titles in WCW. I also didn't mind that Hogan's buddies started showing up as it added more depth to the roster.

Even though Austin was starting to flounder after the retirement of his rival Ricky Steamboat I thought it strange that Duggan beat him so easily for the US title. I still didn't think Austin was going to be the next big star but I thought he could be useful as a reliable secondary belt guy. I'm with Bill on this one as a reformation of the Blondes could have been what the doctor ordered as Pillman was also starting languish once Hogan arrived.

I thought Scorpio was committed to ECW at this time and didn't want any part of WCW. A forgotten part of his infamous match with Shane Douglas in the finals NWA title title tourney was Scorp cutting down Bagwell in a pre-match promo. Probably just more kayfabe fluff.

Nice blurb on Sabu, just the tip of the iceberg when it came to his hype in these magazines.

Corny and Backlund, can't wait to read Baker's reaction to that.
                          Last edited by The Icon; 05-26-2017, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Ah yes, the parental advisory issue, this one caught my eye when it was on the news stand. At this time though my magazine budget was still devoted to comic books which is a big reason why I didn't start getting PWI until a few years later. I was still enjoying the prospects of Hogan in WCW since I was still pretty naive to all the backstage goings on with the Hulkster. I couldn't wait for his eventual feud with Vader as that had been a lower tier dream match of mine since Vader started winning titles in WCW. I also didn't mind that Hogan's buddies started showing up as it added more depth to the roster.

Even though Austin was starting to flounder after the retirement of his rival Ricky Steamboat I thought it strange that Duggan beat him so easily for the US title. I still didn't think Austin was going to be the next big star but I thought he could be useful as a reliable secondary belt guy. I'm with Bill on this one as a reformation of the Blondes could have been what the doctor ordered as Pillman was also starting languish once Hogan arrived.

I thought Scorpio was committed to ECW at this time and didn't want any part of WCW. A forgotten part of his infamous match with Shane Douglas in the finals NWA title title tourney was Scorp cutting down Bagwell in a pre-match promo. Probably just more kayfabe fluff.

Nice blurb on Sabu, just the tip of the iceberg when it came to his hype in these magazines.

Corny and Backlund, can't wait to read Baker's reaction to that.

Comment

Jerry Lawler shouldn't have been ranked above Undertaker in the PWI 500.

Originally posted by PWI
                              Ron from Pennsylvania can’t believe that Public Enemy would vandalize the ranch of the Funk Brothers, though they’ll have tough competition with the animal activists.
                              Never knew this happened. The bolded will be tough to beat for Line of the Magazine.

Originally posted by PWI
                              Sonny from British Columbia misses Ted DiBiase as an in-ring competitor. He thinks that DiBiase is a lackluster manager because all the men me manages doesn’t reach their level of ability.
                              Sonny from BC is right. Ted Dibiase was like the Mike Singletary of wrestling managers. Great player. Terrible coach.

Originally posted by PWI
                              Rob from Scotland is annoyed with Hogan and his buddies from the 80s coming into WCW. WCW had just started to get on a role with Spring Stampede and Slamboree events.
                              Guys, I swear I never went around masquerading as Rob from Scotland back in the day. I was at least a full year and a half away from becoming a PWI reader.

Originally posted by PWI
                              WWF World Champion Bret Hart has had a few new challengers including Jim Neidhart and King Kong Bundy, both who haven’t been able to win the title.
                              The Anvil & Bundy have been unable to win the WWF championship? Really? There's a shocker. House show business deserved to be in the toilet with those challengers.

I'm probably alone on this one but I think the Patriot should have been a bigger star. WCW misused him imo. He was pretty athletic with a good look and an automatic babyface gimmick. Dude was still getting pops in 1997 WWF and it was far easier to get over with a gimmick like that in 1994. He could have at least had a 3 month long TV Title feud with Regal instead of blowing that off in two weeks. That was a natural rivalry WCW dropped the ball on.

Cool to see the Sandman/Dreamer blinding angle get some coverage. Also cool to see a little bit of the Sabu hype we kept bringing up in the ECW Countdown thread.

Eddie Ellner remains savage.

"Bret" claiming Neidhart poisoned Owen contradicts actual storyline where Owen converted The Anvil, not the other way around.

"Bret" was right about Michaels & Diesel. I bet he wished he was wrong a few years later.

PWI predicts the NWO two years early with that "Civil War" story.

The stories about Patriot unmasking & Cornette wanting to manage Backlund are vintage PWI kayfabe bullshit. Love it!

The future Balls Mahoney gets mentioned twice under his aliases Abuddah Singh & Boo Bradley.

Cornette with Mr. Backlund obviously would have been glorious. They could have done it too. Cornette had some history with Backlund's nemesis, Bret, and wasn't doing much during this period. They even saddled him *shudders* Mantuar for a minute a few months later.

Why was this issue Parental Advisory? Pics of the Abdullah/Abuddah match?

Good stuff as always

Comment

Jerry Lawler shouldn't have been ranked above Undertaker in the PWI 500.

Originally posted by PWI
                                Ron from Pennsylvania can’t believe that Public Enemy would vandalize the ranch of the Funk Brothers, though they’ll have tough competition with the animal activists.
                                Never knew this happened. The bolded will be tough to beat for Line of the Magazine.

Originally posted by PWI
                                Sonny from British Columbia misses Ted DiBiase as an in-ring competitor. He thinks that DiBiase is a lackluster manager because all the men me manages doesn’t reach their level of ability.
                                Sonny from BC is right. Ted Dibiase was like the Mike Singletary of wrestling managers. Great player. Terrible coach.

Originally posted by PWI
                                Rob from Scotland is annoyed with Hogan and his buddies from the 80s coming into WCW. WCW had just started to get on a role with Spring Stampede and Slamboree events.
                                Guys, I swear I never went around masquerading as Rob from Scotland back in the day. I was at least a full year and a half away from becoming a PWI reader.

Originally posted by PWI
                                WWF World Champion Bret Hart has had a few new challengers including Jim Neidhart and King Kong Bundy, both who haven’t been able to win the title.
                                The Anvil & Bundy have been unable to win the WWF championship? Really? There's a shocker. House show business deserved to be in the toilet with those challengers.

I'm probably alone on this one but I think the Patriot should have been a bigger star. WCW misused him imo. He was pretty athletic with a good look and an automatic babyface gimmick. Dude was still getting pops in 1997 WWF and it was far easier to get over with a gimmick like that in 1994. He could have at least had a 3 month long TV Title feud with Regal instead of blowing that off in two weeks. That was a natural rivalry WCW dropped the ball on.

Cool to see the Sandman/Dreamer blinding angle get some coverage. Also cool to see a little bit of the Sabu hype we kept bringing up in the ECW Countdown thread.

Eddie Ellner remains savage.

"Bret" claiming Neidhart poisoned Owen contradicts actual storyline where Owen converted The Anvil, not the other way around.

"Bret" was right about Michaels & Diesel. I bet he wished he was wrong a few years later.

PWI predicts the NWO two years early with that "Civil War" story.

The stories about Patriot unmasking & Cornette wanting to manage Backlund are vintage PWI kayfabe bullshit. Love it!

The future Balls Mahoney gets mentioned twice under his aliases Abuddah Singh & Boo Bradley.

Cornette with Mr. Backlund obviously would have been glorious. They could have done it too. Cornette had some history with Backlund's nemesis, Bret, and wasn't doing much during this period. They even saddled him *shudders* Mantuar for a minute a few months later.

Why was this issue Parental Advisory? Pics of the Abdullah/Abuddah match?

Good stuff as always

Comment

Working...
                                X