Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Match Review Thread II (History Edition)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Match Review Thread II (History Edition)

WhatCulture Professional Wrestling (WCPW)
    Kurt Angle vs Alberto El Patron

Good ol' JR is calling this match live (with Matt Striker), and good ol' JR is the reason I am watching this match. He bigged it up on his podcast. Honestly, I'm not expecting to massively like this match, because I don't really share JR's taste in wrestling and he could have exaggerated the quality of this match for promotional reasons. But his comments intrigued me enough. Another reason is that everyone says Del Rio is so much better outside of WWE, so I'm going to judge for myself. The video starts with a build up package. Both participants cut bland sub-minute promos to the effect of "I will kick my opponent's ass." That's the build?! Oh, there's an actual video package. Why put the pre-match promos before it? We see some clips of these guys wrestling, and El Patron cutting an in-ring promo that is completely inaudible. All I know is that he swore because there's a beep sound. So he insulted Kurt Angle for some reason. The only bit of story I can grasp is that this is Kurt Angle's hyped up last UK match (and perhaps last ever match). This is dated February 12th 2017, so not long before Angle returns to WWE for HoF/GM duties.

They start off with a minute or two of posing and stalling. Crowd clearly behind Angle and against El Patron. They do some basic chain wrestling while the announcers play up the differences between olympic wrestling (Angle) and MMA (El Patron). Angle takes El Patron down with a shoulder tackle. El Patron gets up and inexplicably shoves the referee, earning him some boos. Then he lands a kick on Angle's thigh and starts the attack. They brawl on the outside. Angle gets the advantage, then El Patron. He blows a kiss at Angle's wife. JR starts shouting at the wrestlers when El Patron bashes Angle's head into the announce table. He lays into them. Not sure what the point of that is. He was never so hostile towards WWE wrestlers smashing up tables. Angle makes a small comeback in the ring but ends up throwing himself shoulder first into the post. Cue El Patron attacking the arm amidst some taunting. He varies up his targets, kicking Angle's leg and grabbing a chinlock. Angle manages to lift El Patron onto the second turnbuckle but El Patron grabs the arm and drops down with an armbar. El Patron jawjacks with the fans, allowing Angle to wallop him with a clothesline when he reenters the ring. Angle hits some rolling Germans, then the Angle Slam gets counters into a Backstabber for a two count. El Patron keeps it going with a superkick to the kneeling Angle. Angle demonstrates he's still able to kick out at the very last moment, making everyone think for a brief moment that he was done.

Moments later Angle hits the Angle Slam, which I suspect hasn't pinned anyone on its first application for at least 10 years. El Patron kicks out. Angle goes for a superplex but El Patron counters into a convoluted double stomp spot. El Patron sells the shock of Angle kicking out, then walks over to be tripped and ankle locked. El Patron escapes and grabs the cross armbreaker. Angle with a nice counter back to his own submission finisher. By the way, Striker has been yelling for every big spot since the start of this paragraph. It's pretty annoying. Anyway El Patron gets the cross armbreaker again and gets made at the referee (again) after Angle makes the ropes. Another ankle lock. Grapevine. El Patron taps.

I was hardly expecting a indy spotfest, but the match was extremely basic. Two guys with that much experience around the world should be able to come up with something a bit better than that. Even if Angle is broken down and can't go-go-go, there was no semblance of story or psychology (Del Rio accosting the referee every few minutes does not constitute a story) It was just a bunch of signature moves strung together with no rhyme or reason. Alberto is no different outside the WWE based on this match. If anything this match was worse because Del Rio had younger, more capable opponents in WWE. Undertaker, you have not had the worst farewell match of the year. **

Comment

WhatCulture Professional Wrestling (WCPW)
      Kurt Angle vs Alberto El Patron

Good ol' JR is calling this match live (with Matt Striker), and good ol' JR is the reason I am watching this match. He bigged it up on his podcast. Honestly, I'm not expecting to massively like this match, because I don't really share JR's taste in wrestling and he could have exaggerated the quality of this match for promotional reasons. But his comments intrigued me enough. Another reason is that everyone says Del Rio is so much better outside of WWE, so I'm going to judge for myself. The video starts with a build up package. Both participants cut bland sub-minute promos to the effect of "I will kick my opponent's ass." That's the build?! Oh, there's an actual video package. Why put the pre-match promos before it? We see some clips of these guys wrestling, and El Patron cutting an in-ring promo that is completely inaudible. All I know is that he swore because there's a beep sound. So he insulted Kurt Angle for some reason. The only bit of story I can grasp is that this is Kurt Angle's hyped up last UK match (and perhaps last ever match). This is dated February 12th 2017, so not long before Angle returns to WWE for HoF/GM duties.

They start off with a minute or two of posing and stalling. Crowd clearly behind Angle and against El Patron. They do some basic chain wrestling while the announcers play up the differences between olympic wrestling (Angle) and MMA (El Patron). Angle takes El Patron down with a shoulder tackle. El Patron gets up and inexplicably shoves the referee, earning him some boos. Then he lands a kick on Angle's thigh and starts the attack. They brawl on the outside. Angle gets the advantage, then El Patron. He blows a kiss at Angle's wife. JR starts shouting at the wrestlers when El Patron bashes Angle's head into the announce table. He lays into them. Not sure what the point of that is. He was never so hostile towards WWE wrestlers smashing up tables. Angle makes a small comeback in the ring but ends up throwing himself shoulder first into the post. Cue El Patron attacking the arm amidst some taunting. He varies up his targets, kicking Angle's leg and grabbing a chinlock. Angle manages to lift El Patron onto the second turnbuckle but El Patron grabs the arm and drops down with an armbar. El Patron jawjacks with the fans, allowing Angle to wallop him with a clothesline when he reenters the ring. Angle hits some rolling Germans, then the Angle Slam gets counters into a Backstabber for a two count. El Patron keeps it going with a superkick to the kneeling Angle. Angle demonstrates he's still able to kick out at the very last moment, making everyone think for a brief moment that he was done.

Moments later Angle hits the Angle Slam, which I suspect hasn't pinned anyone on its first application for at least 10 years. El Patron kicks out. Angle goes for a superplex but El Patron counters into a convoluted double stomp spot. El Patron sells the shock of Angle kicking out, then walks over to be tripped and ankle locked. El Patron escapes and grabs the cross armbreaker. Angle with a nice counter back to his own submission finisher. By the way, Striker has been yelling for every big spot since the start of this paragraph. It's pretty annoying. Anyway El Patron gets the cross armbreaker again and gets made at the referee (again) after Angle makes the ropes. Another ankle lock. Grapevine. El Patron taps.

I was hardly expecting a indy spotfest, but the match was extremely basic. Two guys with that much experience around the world should be able to come up with something a bit better than that. Even if Angle is broken down and can't go-go-go, there was no semblance of story or psychology (Del Rio accosting the referee every few minutes does not constitute a story) It was just a bunch of signature moves strung together with no rhyme or reason. Alberto is no different outside the WWE based on this match. If anything this match was worse because Del Rio had younger, more capable opponents in WWE. Undertaker, you have not had the worst farewell match of the year. **

Comment

Speaking of Tom Magee, possibly the long lost Bret Hart/Tom Magee match might finally see the light of day. The Taz and Owen try-outs have me interested anyway. I've also seen speculation that the first Hogan/Flair match and a Savage/Undertaker match will be included as well.

http://www.wrestlingdvdnetwork.com/o...95-dvd/135570/

Comment

Speaking of Tom Magee, possibly the long lost Bret Hart/Tom Magee match might finally see the light of day. The Taz and Owen try-outs have me interested anyway. I've also seen speculation that the first Hogan/Flair match and a Savage/Undertaker match will be included as well.

http://www.wrestlingdvdnetwork.com/o...95-dvd/135570/

Comment

I think the fact it's not even being discussed means Sabu vs. Owen Hart from 1993 wasn't taped. I want to see that so bad. Give me Sabu vs Scott Taylor from the same weekend, at least.

$

Comment

I think the fact it's not even being discussed means Sabu vs. Owen Hart from 1993 wasn't taped. I want to see that so bad. Give me Sabu vs Scott Taylor from the same weekend, at least.

$

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                Silas Young For Next ROH Champion
                I wanted Dalton. I've recently suggested it should be Scurll. But after reading this post... I am okay with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                  Silas Young For Next ROH Champion
                  I wanted Dalton. I've recently suggested it should be Scurll. But after reading this post... I am okay with this.

Comment

Just found out Silas Young beat KUSHIDA over the weekend. That's a big deal. Especially since
                    Spoiler

I'm tellin' ya. The Great Silas Young Push of 2017 has already been under way for at least a few weeks and we're just now realizing it.

Comment

Just found out Silas Young beat KUSHIDA over the weekend. That's a big deal. Especially since
                      Spoiler

I'm tellin' ya. The Great Silas Young Push of 2017 has already been under way for at least a few weeks and we're just now realizing it.

Comment

Just laid up here in a Dubbya Cee Dubbya state of mind, watching this WCW Saturday Night like it's going out of style. Thunder too actually. I caught the August 13th 1998 Thunder and August 15th Saturday Night. Thunder I kind of half watched, caught bits and pieces of what looked like a damn good rematch between Bret and Luger for the WCW US title. Movies for Guys Who like Movies for this week is "To Live and Die In LA" starring Jesus from The Big Lebowski but this week on Dinner and a Movie, Hollywood Hulk Hogan drops by to watch Mr. Nanny and we're making Hulk Hoagies! TBS was great back in the day.

Saturday Night was surprisingly decent, this one wasn't in the usual studio it was in a pretty nice size arena and the crowd was surprisingly hot for a lot of matches. They played a highlight package for Arn Anderson, which brought out Dean Malenko to cut a promo pleading for Arn to reunite the Horsemen until he's interrupted by Curt Hennig, who comes out with Rick Rude and takes credit for killing the Four Horsemen, this sets up a match with Hennig vs Malenko for the main event, decent match with shennanigan finish involving Rude. Also on this show Raven and the Flock came out and cut a promo until Saturn came out and set up a match against Raven for Fall Brawl. Then The Flock came out later for a match against Tokyo Magnum and Alex Wright but Public Enemy jumped them in the isle and fought Tokyo and Wright instead, with a table bump included. A couple of other decent matches, Saturday Night was just as good if not better than Thunder for this week. Wasn't the usual episode of Saturday Night, there were a few surprises and a few big promos to set up PPV matches and the whole Malenko/Hennig deal was really cool.

Comment

Just laid up here in a Dubbya Cee Dubbya state of mind, watching this WCW Saturday Night like it's going out of style. Thunder too actually. I caught the August 13th 1998 Thunder and August 15th Saturday Night. Thunder I kind of half watched, caught bits and pieces of what looked like a damn good rematch between Bret and Luger for the WCW US title. Movies for Guys Who like Movies for this week is "To Live and Die In LA" starring Jesus from The Big Lebowski but this week on Dinner and a Movie, Hollywood Hulk Hogan drops by to watch Mr. Nanny and we're making Hulk Hoagies! TBS was great back in the day.

Saturday Night was surprisingly decent, this one wasn't in the usual studio it was in a pretty nice size arena and the crowd was surprisingly hot for a lot of matches. They played a highlight package for Arn Anderson, which brought out Dean Malenko to cut a promo pleading for Arn to reunite the Horsemen until he's interrupted by Curt Hennig, who comes out with Rick Rude and takes credit for killing the Four Horsemen, this sets up a match with Hennig vs Malenko for the main event, decent match with shennanigan finish involving Rude. Also on this show Raven and the Flock came out and cut a promo until Saturn came out and set up a match against Raven for Fall Brawl. Then The Flock came out later for a match against Tokyo Magnum and Alex Wright but Public Enemy jumped them in the isle and fought Tokyo and Wright instead, with a table bump included. A couple of other decent matches, Saturday Night was just as good if not better than Thunder for this week. Wasn't the usual episode of Saturday Night, there were a few surprises and a few big promos to set up PPV matches and the whole Malenko/Hennig deal was really cool.

Comment

I'm on a WCW 1998 marathon. I've got this huge CD case full of all 1998 episodes of Nitro, Thunder, Saturday Night, and PPV's. I watched through all of them up to Road Wild(August) a year or two ago. I was wanting to get American Hardcore Theater going again but truth be told I fucked up when I went ahead and watched through most of my ECW collection already over the years. I wasn't going to watch any of it until the time came to sit down and review the show for AHT. Most of those ECW reviews are of shows that I was either watching for the first time or for the first time in a really long time(over a decade). It's hard for me to get motivated to go back and watch those tapes a 2nd/3rd time and sit down to write a full review for it(or a full review for any wrestling show really, at least for right now anyways). The only thing in my collection that I've held off on watching was this 1998 WCW set so I decided to finish this bad boy off.

Man I got nothing but love for this era. All I can remember was how excited I would get on Mondays, all fucking day hyped for that night, when WCW hit the air at 7:00 it was the greatest feeling. At 8:00 when Raw kicked on the other channel it as fucking on. Back and forth all night, plus Thunder, Saturday Night, Sunday Night Heat, Worldwide, Livewire, and 2 PPV's every month scrambevisioned.

Nitro August 17th 1998 was a damn good 3 hour episode of Nitro. I love the little mini push they were giving Meng here, he's been made to look really strong and dangerous. I forgot to mention it on the last post about Saturday Night but Meng came out and fucked a few dudes up on that show. He does the same thing here wrecking a match between High Voltage and Alex Wright/Disco. Security comes out and sprays mace in his eyes but he just shakes it off and destroys everybody.

At some point during this show they say that Chris Benoit was injured, add him to the list with Macho Man, Booker T and a few other guys I'm probably forgetting.

Eddie comes out and cuts a shoot style promo about being held down in WCW, he wants out of his contract, take this job and shove it. This storyline was playing on some of the stuff being reported in the Observer at that time about guys like Eddie, Dean, and Benoit wanting out of WCW. Crowd was dead for all of this. Not that great of a promo but more interesting than what they were doing with Eddie all year, hated that whole feud with Chavo.

The Flock was awesome all year in 1998 but it got kinda lame with all the Kanyon and Horace stuff, it was kind of confusing with no real direction, I get the impression that Raven kind of stopped giving a fuck after being jobbed out to Goldberg, he phones it in on promos a lot. Kanyon & Horace vs Saturn & Raven tag match on this show wasn't half bad.

Oh shit, they plug a special on TNT from back in the day called "Masters of the Martial Arts", I forgot about this. Me and my little brother were hyped about this and I remember it was pretty cool:

Scott Norton fucks up Scott Putski in a great squash. Norton was a bad ass. I didn't care for him back in the day but I love him now.

Ahh yes, this is the episode where Ultimate Warrior debuts. I got to admit that this was pretty awesome to me, Warrior's promo dragged on for too long and had some awkward moments but overall it was a pretty good promo. Crowd was red hot for his return, the music and the entrance and the way it's all treated as the biggest deal on earth was really well done by WCW. I remember being jacked up about this back in the day, some of Hogan's facial expressions were pretty funny("I thought you were dead").

Malenko vs Curt Hennig rematch from Saturday Night wasn't bad. Rude gets involved and Hennig wins with a Perfect Plex.

Third hour, Buff and Steiner cut a goofy WWF style promo with some goofy doctor, Steiner has half his body taped as he tries to get out of his upcoming match with Rick Stiener.

Stevie Rey, Jericho, and Chavo have a pretty good 3 way for the TV title. This was funny early on as Jericho kept tricking Chavo to help him only to leave him hanging to get destroyed by Stevie Ray. Chavo smartens up and goes after Jericho. Pretty good psychology going on up until The Giant randomly comes out to drop Stevie Ray with a chokeslam. No real reason for this, maybe they were thinking about Jericho to the NWO Hollywood? Great chokeslam though, especially for Stevie to be such a big dude, Giant held him up in the air for a good bit before slamming the fuck out of him.

Co-main event was DDP vs Bret for Bret's WCW US Championship. Bret's character had no direction, they were doing stuff with him and the NWO but then they just dropped it, but he's playing this hokey old school type of heel in the matches using brass knuckles he's hidden in his trunks. He uses them against DDP here in this match and then puts them in his trunks to get him disqualified later on in the match. This was a half decent match up until that finish. Bret was looking pretty good in the ring in both of his matches against Luger the preview week(Nitro and Thunder) and looked pretty good in the ring in this match, I just don't really care for him being this kind of heel. Good back and forth match though with the crowd really into it.

Main event is first ever head to head match with Goldberg vs The Giant. They did a pretty good job of hyping this match all through the show. Then Michael Buffer doing the intros is just too fucking great, sets the perfect tone for a big time main event, to me he is the best ring announcer ever. The intros for this match are excellent, Goldberg is red hot over. "..for the HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP OF THE WORLD.... ARE YOU READY!?". This is a really fun match up until the finish. Goldberg lands a body slam on Giant and the crowd blows the roof off of the place. Giant was kept looking strong by getting in some offense on Goldberg. The finish is a DQ as the Disciple(Brutus The Barber Beefcake in biker gear with beard/sunglasses). Goldberg drops Disciple with a spear and jackhammer and tries to pin him. Scott Hall comes out and attacks Goldberg. Kevin Nash comes out to go after Scott Hall to save Goldberg. Goldberg goes to spear Scott Hall and he moves out of the way, causing Goldberg to drop Kevin Nash on accident. That's the end of the show. Really good one. Pretty good build up going on with Goldberg and Nash, the Wolfpac is another act that is super-over.

Thunder for August 19th 1998 absolutely sucked. This was like a typical episode of Saturday Night. Interesting Movies for Guys Who Like Movies for this week though, TBS network premier for Rapid Fire starring Brandon Lee(RIP) and Powers Boothe(RIP).

Saturday Night for August 24th 1998 was pretty decent, better than that week's Thunder for the second week in a row. Good match with Kidman vs Psicosis, Saturn vs Kanyon, Jericho cuts a promo and wrestles Chavo, and a surprisingly decent main event between Scott Hall vs Konnan, featuring a rare clean finish with Konnan scoring a pin with a rollup, sold as a really big upset. Not a bad episode of WCW Saturday Night at all.

Nitro for August 24th 1998 was another good one. WRATH!!!! I forgot how much I loved this guy, this is his return after a long layoff and he beats Mike Enos in a great squash. He has some really nice moves here, a spinning catapult flying shoulder block looked really nice. The pumphandle slam was fucking brutal. Great shit. He looked REALLY good here and the crowd was responding to him nicely.

Was really surprised by how good Malenko vs Kaz Hayashi was. Only a 3-4 minute match if that but it was hot and fast, Dean made Hayashi look good with the few offensive maneuvers he gets in. Really good stuff, Dean wins with a double under hook powerbomb and the Texas Cloverleaf, crowd pops HUGE for the Cloverleaf here, excellent.

Chris Jericho wrestles Curt Hennig, I only caught bits and pieces of this I need to go back and rewatch the full match. Something happened and I got busy and missed most of the main event as well, Kevin Nash and Goldberg team up to take on Hogan and The Giant, lots of shenanigans and a DQ schmozz finish I'm sure.

Thunder for August 26th 1998 God damn Wrath was awesome, he fucks up Scott Putski here, excellent flying lariat. Rest of this show was pretty meh. Honestly I fell asleep watching this and missed a lot of it.

Saturday Night for August 29th 1998 was another solid episode. Wrath vs Trevor Blanchard is a fucking phenomenal squash, Wrath just destroys this fucking guy, some really nice innovative moves by Wrath, his pumphandle powerslam finisher almost puts this poor fuck through the ring. Something else about this show that was great was Meng. He beats Jerry Flynn, who reminds me of Joe Piscopo from Sidekicks during his entrance. After Meng defeats Jerry Flynn with the Tongan he stays in the ring and won't leave until the guys for the next match come out. Evan Kerragius comes out and gets fucked up. Then Scott Norton comes out and goes toe to toe with Meng in a great brawl that goes to the back. Pretty cool. Main event is Chris Jericho vs Stevie Ray. The Giant comes out and destroys Jericho with a chokeslam for the DQ finish. Pretty weird how they worked Stevie Ray into the NWO, after The Giant came out and cost him his TV title a few Nitro's back. Booker T was supposed to face Bret on the last episode of Nitro but they found him beat up backstage so Stevie Ray goes out to take his place. The NWO comes out to join Bret as he confronts Stevie Ray and recruits him into the NWO black and white.

So I'm digging these shows. WCW got back down to business after all the Karl Malone/Dennis Rodman/Jay Leno bullshit that Summer and they've focused on some pretty good stuff. I think they were finally starting to realize that WWF was breathing down their necks at this point as Raw was red hot every week. I do like the way WCW was hyping up the War Games match with those excellent history videos. I do love Wrath. I do love Warrior's return so far(another great rub for DDP). Also really love Goldberg, the storyline building with Malenko bringing the Horsemen back.
                            Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 05-21-2017, 01:14 AM.

Comment

I'm on a WCW 1998 marathon. I've got this huge CD case full of all 1998 episodes of Nitro, Thunder, Saturday Night, and PPV's. I watched through all of them up to Road Wild(August) a year or two ago. I was wanting to get American Hardcore Theater going again but truth be told I fucked up when I went ahead and watched through most of my ECW collection already over the years. I wasn't going to watch any of it until the time came to sit down and review the show for AHT. Most of those ECW reviews are of shows that I was either watching for the first time or for the first time in a really long time(over a decade). It's hard for me to get motivated to go back and watch those tapes a 2nd/3rd time and sit down to write a full review for it(or a full review for any wrestling show really, at least for right now anyways). The only thing in my collection that I've held off on watching was this 1998 WCW set so I decided to finish this bad boy off.

Man I got nothing but love for this era. All I can remember was how excited I would get on Mondays, all fucking day hyped for that night, when WCW hit the air at 7:00 it was the greatest feeling. At 8:00 when Raw kicked on the other channel it as fucking on. Back and forth all night, plus Thunder, Saturday Night, Sunday Night Heat, Worldwide, Livewire, and 2 PPV's every month scrambevisioned.

Nitro August 17th 1998 was a damn good 3 hour episode of Nitro. I love the little mini push they were giving Meng here, he's been made to look really strong and dangerous. I forgot to mention it on the last post about Saturday Night but Meng came out and fucked a few dudes up on that show. He does the same thing here wrecking a match between High Voltage and Alex Wright/Disco. Security comes out and sprays mace in his eyes but he just shakes it off and destroys everybody.

At some point during this show they say that Chris Benoit was injured, add him to the list with Macho Man, Booker T and a few other guys I'm probably forgetting.

Eddie comes out and cuts a shoot style promo about being held down in WCW, he wants out of his contract, take this job and shove it. This storyline was playing on some of the stuff being reported in the Observer at that time about guys like Eddie, Dean, and Benoit wanting out of WCW. Crowd was dead for all of this. Not that great of a promo but more interesting than what they were doing with Eddie all year, hated that whole feud with Chavo.

The Flock was awesome all year in 1998 but it got kinda lame with all the Kanyon and Horace stuff, it was kind of confusing with no real direction, I get the impression that Raven kind of stopped giving a fuck after being jobbed out to Goldberg, he phones it in on promos a lot. Kanyon & Horace vs Saturn & Raven tag match on this show wasn't half bad.

Oh shit, they plug a special on TNT from back in the day called "Masters of the Martial Arts", I forgot about this. Me and my little brother were hyped about this and I remember it was pretty cool:

Scott Norton fucks up Scott Putski in a great squash. Norton was a bad ass. I didn't care for him back in the day but I love him now.

Ahh yes, this is the episode where Ultimate Warrior debuts. I got to admit that this was pretty awesome to me, Warrior's promo dragged on for too long and had some awkward moments but overall it was a pretty good promo. Crowd was red hot for his return, the music and the entrance and the way it's all treated as the biggest deal on earth was really well done by WCW. I remember being jacked up about this back in the day, some of Hogan's facial expressions were pretty funny("I thought you were dead").

Malenko vs Curt Hennig rematch from Saturday Night wasn't bad. Rude gets involved and Hennig wins with a Perfect Plex.

Third hour, Buff and Steiner cut a goofy WWF style promo with some goofy doctor, Steiner has half his body taped as he tries to get out of his upcoming match with Rick Stiener.

Stevie Rey, Jericho, and Chavo have a pretty good 3 way for the TV title. This was funny early on as Jericho kept tricking Chavo to help him only to leave him hanging to get destroyed by Stevie Ray. Chavo smartens up and goes after Jericho. Pretty good psychology going on up until The Giant randomly comes out to drop Stevie Ray with a chokeslam. No real reason for this, maybe they were thinking about Jericho to the NWO Hollywood? Great chokeslam though, especially for Stevie to be such a big dude, Giant held him up in the air for a good bit before slamming the fuck out of him.

Co-main event was DDP vs Bret for Bret's WCW US Championship. Bret's character had no direction, they were doing stuff with him and the NWO but then they just dropped it, but he's playing this hokey old school type of heel in the matches using brass knuckles he's hidden in his trunks. He uses them against DDP here in this match and then puts them in his trunks to get him disqualified later on in the match. This was a half decent match up until that finish. Bret was looking pretty good in the ring in both of his matches against Luger the preview week(Nitro and Thunder) and looked pretty good in the ring in this match, I just don't really care for him being this kind of heel. Good back and forth match though with the crowd really into it.

Main event is first ever head to head match with Goldberg vs The Giant. They did a pretty good job of hyping this match all through the show. Then Michael Buffer doing the intros is just too fucking great, sets the perfect tone for a big time main event, to me he is the best ring announcer ever. The intros for this match are excellent, Goldberg is red hot over. "..for the HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP OF THE WORLD.... ARE YOU READY!?". This is a really fun match up until the finish. Goldberg lands a body slam on Giant and the crowd blows the roof off of the place. Giant was kept looking strong by getting in some offense on Goldberg. The finish is a DQ as the Disciple(Brutus The Barber Beefcake in biker gear with beard/sunglasses). Goldberg drops Disciple with a spear and jackhammer and tries to pin him. Scott Hall comes out and attacks Goldberg. Kevin Nash comes out to go after Scott Hall to save Goldberg. Goldberg goes to spear Scott Hall and he moves out of the way, causing Goldberg to drop Kevin Nash on accident. That's the end of the show. Really good one. Pretty good build up going on with Goldberg and Nash, the Wolfpac is another act that is super-over.

Thunder for August 19th 1998 absolutely sucked. This was like a typical episode of Saturday Night. Interesting Movies for Guys Who Like Movies for this week though, TBS network premier for Rapid Fire starring Brandon Lee(RIP) and Powers Boothe(RIP).

Saturday Night for August 24th 1998 was pretty decent, better than that week's Thunder for the second week in a row. Good match with Kidman vs Psicosis, Saturn vs Kanyon, Jericho cuts a promo and wrestles Chavo, and a surprisingly decent main event between Scott Hall vs Konnan, featuring a rare clean finish with Konnan scoring a pin with a rollup, sold as a really big upset. Not a bad episode of WCW Saturday Night at all.

Nitro for August 24th 1998 was another good one. WRATH!!!! I forgot how much I loved this guy, this is his return after a long layoff and he beats Mike Enos in a great squash. He has some really nice moves here, a spinning catapult flying shoulder block looked really nice. The pumphandle slam was fucking brutal. Great shit. He looked REALLY good here and the crowd was responding to him nicely.

Was really surprised by how good Malenko vs Kaz Hayashi was. Only a 3-4 minute match if that but it was hot and fast, Dean made Hayashi look good with the few offensive maneuvers he gets in. Really good stuff, Dean wins with a double under hook powerbomb and the Texas Cloverleaf, crowd pops HUGE for the Cloverleaf here, excellent.

Chris Jericho wrestles Curt Hennig, I only caught bits and pieces of this I need to go back and rewatch the full match. Something happened and I got busy and missed most of the main event as well, Kevin Nash and Goldberg team up to take on Hogan and The Giant, lots of shenanigans and a DQ schmozz finish I'm sure.

Thunder for August 26th 1998 God damn Wrath was awesome, he fucks up Scott Putski here, excellent flying lariat. Rest of this show was pretty meh. Honestly I fell asleep watching this and missed a lot of it.

Saturday Night for August 29th 1998 was another solid episode. Wrath vs Trevor Blanchard is a fucking phenomenal squash, Wrath just destroys this fucking guy, some really nice innovative moves by Wrath, his pumphandle powerslam finisher almost puts this poor fuck through the ring. Something else about this show that was great was Meng. He beats Jerry Flynn, who reminds me of Joe Piscopo from Sidekicks during his entrance. After Meng defeats Jerry Flynn with the Tongan he stays in the ring and won't leave until the guys for the next match come out. Evan Kerragius comes out and gets fucked up. Then Scott Norton comes out and goes toe to toe with Meng in a great brawl that goes to the back. Pretty cool. Main event is Chris Jericho vs Stevie Ray. The Giant comes out and destroys Jericho with a chokeslam for the DQ finish. Pretty weird how they worked Stevie Ray into the NWO, after The Giant came out and cost him his TV title a few Nitro's back. Booker T was supposed to face Bret on the last episode of Nitro but they found him beat up backstage so Stevie Ray goes out to take his place. The NWO comes out to join Bret as he confronts Stevie Ray and recruits him into the NWO black and white.

So I'm digging these shows. WCW got back down to business after all the Karl Malone/Dennis Rodman/Jay Leno bullshit that Summer and they've focused on some pretty good stuff. I think they were finally starting to realize that WWF was breathing down their necks at this point as Raw was red hot every week. I do like the way WCW was hyping up the War Games match with those excellent history videos. I do love Wrath. I do love Warrior's return so far(another great rub for DDP). Also really love Goldberg, the storyline building with Malenko bringing the Horsemen back.

Comment

Just wrapped up the August 29th 1998 episode of Nitro, bad news this disc has no sound! FUCK!

Another excellent Wrath squash on this show. This is one bad ass motherfucker, something about him when he made his comeback in 1998 he's fucking jacked and great. I loved him as Adam Bomb when I was little so seeing him in this form back in the day I was a huge mark for it.

The cruiserweight division is fucking dead in the water at this point. I believe Rey is still out with an injury, also La Parka was injured I believe. Haven't seen much of El Dandy or Super Calo or any of those guys in these August tapes. Juvy is the champion but he just keeps working random matches. They just had nothing for any of these Luchadores, which doesn't make any sense considering how much TV they had to fill.

Marty Jannety is back, wearing rainbow colored jacket and matching tights.

They did an angle where Eddie tries to lay down for Brian Adams, he lets him win. mess.

I'm assuming both Scott Stiener and Buff were also injured, as well as Rick Stiener because they don't wrestle they just doe these goofy WWF/Stevie Richards style comedy segments.

Warrior has the big batman style spotlight, he's lurking in the rafters.

Some angle with Benoit coming back to reunite with Mongo and confront Arn, no audio so I couldn't figure out what was going on. I'm sure they will recap this on Thunder or Saturday Night.

Scott Norton squashes Norman Smiley. Man WCW had a pretty awesome little crew of heavyweight bad asses being pushed nicely at this stage, Wrath, Meng, Scott Norton were all being booked very well up to this point.

Kanyon is now a full on Raven follower after trolling him for months, with Horace in and out. Now they got an angle going with Saturn being Lodi's personal assistant after he lost a stipulation match. Dumb shit.

Chris Jericho beats Disco, I think he did anyways, I missed the finish.

Golberg squashes a straight up no-namer. I remember this was a big WTF back in the day with Goldberg defending the title against guys like this and Scott Putski type guys.

Main event was Hogan & Bret vs Luger & Sting. Sting just looks goofy in all the red, the color just doesn't work in the Crow style design, he should have did something a little different with the facepaint design, wouldn't have minded him using variations of his older style face paint design ala 95-96(pre-crow). Warrior comes out to smoke and lights to run Hollywood off as the show ends.

Whisper the Nitro Girl was the hottest thing on the show and it's like they actively try not to put her on camera, almost like she's too hot. Whenever the Nitro girls are on camera she's usually always in the back of the group, whenever the camera goes from girl to girl they always skip her. She was hotter than Sable and could have did huge ratings if they would have only found some way to put her on screen. One of the hottest women I've ever seen in my god damn life.
                                Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 05-20-2017, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X