Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Match Review Thread II (History Edition)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Match Review Thread II (History Edition)

There was a slew of WWE DVDs from the early 2010s where you just have to take it with a grain of salt. Hogan was the figurehead of the rival promotion, so they try and distance themselves from him as much as possible. In fact, that seems to be true for anything post-SummerSlam 2006. The cherry on top was the Top 50 Greatest WWE Superstars Of All-Time where Hogan appears at #23, one place above Bruno Sammartino.

It's been a few years since I've sat through a WWE set. I think the last one may have been the Foley set way back in 2013. I've got to remedy that so I'll see what jumps out at me. For the time being, I may have to check some of those matches out, Bake. The One Man Gang/Dibiase match in particular sounds like something I'd be really into. I think I'm going to compile a list of matches and make an effort to watch matches that people toss up.

Also caught the Tod Gordon shoot interview. It's difficult to remember all the different factoids, but he goes into depth about the pre-Paul E years and helps explain why ECW heading into 1994 was such an exciting promotion. The biggest thing I picked up was the different cliqs in ECW and how there was the Tod Gordon guys v the Paul E guys. I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but whenever you generally hear about ECW, it's portrayed as this big happy family which always seemed hard to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Pete View Post
      There was a slew of WWE DVDs from the early 2010s where you just have to take it with a grain of salt. Hogan was the figurehead of the rival promotion, so they try and distance themselves from him as much as possible. In fact, that seems to be true for anything post-SummerSlam 2006. The cherry on top was the Top 50 Greatest WWE Superstars Of All-Time where Hogan appears at #23, one place above Bruno Sammartino.
      Oh, of course. It's always been that way with Vince. Part of the fun from these things derives from seeing where people stand in WWE lore at any given time. I get a kick out of the political side of things. Here they are fawning all over The Hulkster yet a few years later he is less of a WWE superstar than Edge, Rey Mysterio and a bunch of other people of that ilk. Brock, Angle, Warrior and Flair (to a lesser extent) were hugely glossed over in the Wrestlemania set.

It's been a few years since I've sat through a WWE set. I think the last one may have been the Foley set way back in 2013.
      It had been a while for me too. I picked one up on a whim and just kept going.

Forgot to mention my amusement over Mustafa Malenko~! on the ECW set. I had no real memory of The Other Gangsta. Like I couldn't tell you a single thing he did in the ring. So it was a neat surprise to see him bust out a few dropkicks (and not bad ones!) along with a suplex or two. He was also in pretty good shape. But Kronus, man. He was a hoot in that match.

Comment

Oh, of course. It's always been that way with Vince. Part of the fun from these things derives from seeing where people stand in WWE lore at any given time. I get a kick out of the political side of things. Here they are fawning all over The Hulkster yet a few years later he is less of a WWE superstar than Edge, Rey Mysterio and a bunch of other people of that ilk. Brock, Angle, Warrior and Flair (to a lesser extent) were hugely glossed over in the Wrestlemania set.

It's been a few years since I've sat through a WWE set. I think the last one may have been the Foley set way back in 2013.
        It had been a while for me too. I picked one up on a whim and just kept going.

Forgot to mention my amusement over Mustafa Malenko~! on the ECW set. I had no real memory of The Other Gangsta. Like I couldn't tell you a single thing he did in the ring. So it was a neat surprise to see him bust out a few dropkicks (and not bad ones!) along with a suplex or two. He was also in pretty good shape. But Kronus, man. He was a hoot in that match.

Comment

I loved the Taz/Sabu/Bigelow triple threat, yes it went on for over 40 minutes but I don't remember too many dull moments.

I rewatched Goldberg vs. Lesnar from Wrestlemania XX just to jog my memory on how bad it was. It was the perfect shit storm of an entitled crowd (Wah! They're leaving us!) and two workers who couldn't adjust to the crowd. They were going for the Hogan/Warrior template of "who is stronger?" which was the totally wrong approach given the hostile crowd. They should have just went with bombs from the get go so the crowd be reminded of how talented and explosive these two athletes are. Instead we just get a series of collar and elbow ties ups, push offs and shoulder tackles which ends in an abrupt spear and Jackhammer. Shitty crowd and a shitty effort put in by both. They should have had more pride to try and win the crowd over but then again the crowd should have put the dirt sheet crap aside and try to enjoy and appreciate the moment more.

Comment

I loved the Taz/Sabu/Bigelow triple threat, yes it went on for over 40 minutes but I don't remember too many dull moments.

I rewatched Goldberg vs. Lesnar from Wrestlemania XX just to jog my memory on how bad it was. It was the perfect shit storm of an entitled crowd (Wah! They're leaving us!) and two workers who couldn't adjust to the crowd. They were going for the Hogan/Warrior template of "who is stronger?" which was the totally wrong approach given the hostile crowd. They should have just went with bombs from the get go so the crowd be reminded of how talented and explosive these two athletes are. Instead we just get a series of collar and elbow ties ups, push offs and shoulder tackles which ends in an abrupt spear and Jackhammer. Shitty crowd and a shitty effort put in by both. They should have had more pride to try and win the crowd over but then again the crowd should have put the dirt sheet crap aside and try to enjoy and appreciate the moment more.

Comment

I stayed up watching Raw all night last night and ended up falling asleep there towards the end, completely missing Goldberg the one thing I tuned in for. Wasn't a bad show or anything just totally exhausted right now, I can't believe it's fucking 90 degrees here right now in middle of October, this fucking global warming shit is for real! But anyways, what did Goldberg do [MENTION=107979]The Icon[/MENTION] [MENTION=21289]Big Pete[/MENTION]? I remember watching the Mania XX match a couple years ago and thinking it was really not that bad. Not as bad as I was expecting it to be anyway.
              Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 10-18-2016, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I stayed up watching Raw all night last night and ended up falling asleep there towards the end, completely missing Goldberg the one thing I tuned in for. Wasn't a bad show or anything just totally exhausted right now, I can't believe it's fucking 90 degrees here right now in middle of October, this fucking global warming shit is for real! But anyways, what did Goldberg do [MENTION=107979]The Icon[/MENTION] [MENTION=21289]Big Pete[/MENTION]? I remember watching the Mania XX match a couple years ago and thinking it was really not that bad. Not as bad as I was expecting it to be anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
                  He came out and cut a promo about how he appreciated the warm welcome and living out a dream of performing in front of his kid. He came back to be that super hero one more time since there are very few for kids to look up to these days. He then said that Brock didn't have the balls to call him out in person so he had to have his fat stooge Paul Heyman do it for him.. He then said Brock Lesnar was not only next but "you're last!" His family and the Governor of Colorado were at ringside. It was a really well done segment with the crowd just eating it up. I really hope they blow the roof off of the ACC at Survivor Series to prove the naysayers wrong.

Next time though Goldberg, don't wear a biker jacket to the ring. He was drowning in his own sweat just seconds in.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
                    He came out and cut a promo about how he appreciated the warm welcome and living out a dream of performing in front of his kid. He came back to be that super hero one more time since there are very few for kids to look up to these days. He then said that Brock didn't have the balls to call him out in person so he had to have his fat stooge Paul Heyman do it for him.. He then said Brock Lesnar was not only next but "you're last!" His family and the Governor of Colorado were at ringside. It was a really well done segment with the crowd just eating it up. I really hope they blow the roof off of the ACC at Survivor Series to prove the naysayers wrong.

Next time though Goldberg, don't wear a biker jacket to the ring. He was drowning in his own sweat just seconds in.

Comment

The Goldberg segment was genuinely good for what it was. It was a 'welcome back' segment, which are usually fool-proof and the WWE did a good job of doubling down and making the most of the segment. I also think it was Bill's best promo because his words came across as genuine and while Meltzer was upset that Goldberg gave away the 'one and done' nature of the deal, I thought it added some much needed weight to Lesnar-Goldberg II. Let's face it, there's a lot of skepticism surrounding the match and it was coming across as an exhibition, so to add that emotional weight to it was a good move from where I'm sitting.

But yeah, genuinely happy for Bill and that promo definitely earned my attention.

In the meantime...

I watched the WWF '97 Triple Threat that Bake mentioned earlier. I was curious to know whether or not it was a dress rehearsal for Final Four but the Royal Rumble rematch had already been booked by that point and HBK's next big match was set to take place on the February 13th edition of Raw against Sid. The match maybe one of the best Sid Vicious showcases I can remember. The story is that Bret and Shawn can't stand each other, but they have a bigger fish to fry in Sid who just constantly dominates both men. Sid comes off like a monster and watching Shawn and Bret having to find different ways to take him down and keep him down is fun viewing. Of course, neither guy really brought their A game. While Shawn was never considered a master seller, at least not to the extent of a Ricky Morton, it seemed like he was taking the piss here with multiple Flair flops and straight up no-sells. I wonder if he was doing the old 'go-home' pain pill routine? Anyways, Bret has the match won when that no-good Texas Rattlesnake Stone Cold comes in and ruins it. For his trouble, Steve is knocked down by the guest enforcer, boxer George Chuvalo. Bret regains controls, locks Sid into a Sharpshooter only for Shawn to blindside him with a cross-body and pick up the win in a well orchestrated finish.

While I was digging up information on the original plans for the WWF heading into '97, I came across a recommendation from Dave. From NJPW/UWFI Tokyo Budokan Hall show it's Shinjiro Ohtani versus Masahito Kakihara from March 1st, 1996. I didn't have a lot of context for the match, other than we're in the middle of the NJPW/UWFI feud with UWFI firmly on top with Nabuhiko Takada as IWGP Champion. I know next to nothing about Kakihara while I haven't seen enough of Ohtani outside of a couple of matches he had against Eddie. Of course there was the Starrcade match which was solid, but it was the June 5th, 1996 match that stood out to me. It was one of my favourite matches on this particular Eddie Guerrero set and I thought it gave the Wild Pegasus June 11th, 1996 (aka the best Benoit/Eddie match) a run for it's money. Back to Kakihara/Ohtani and this was an easy watch. At only eight minutes, the match doesn't over-stay it's welcome and it does a good job of portraying Kakihara as a bad-ass while protecting Ohtani. Kakihara is firmly in control for the majority of the match and levels poor Ohtani with some brutal strikes whenever he dares to make a comeback. Ohtani is completely out-gunned but that doesn't stop him from trying to use his mat-skills to counter the superior striking ability of Kakihara. However, this was always Kakihara's match to lose and once he hits a lariat, it's curtains for Ohtani. Kakihara locks on a rear naked choke and Ohtani has no choice but to tap. I didn't quite love it as much as Meltzer, but I thought it was an enjoyable match all the same and it's easily accessed on Daily Motion.

Also slowly making my way through the past month of TNA Impact. I just watched the September 22nd, 2016 edition which was the slowest show of the bunch. In a lot of ways, this felt like a show where they were just spinning their wheels and it just seemed to be following a pattern. It's a shame because when the show opened, it felt like they were going to go down a different path. Instead of giving us the same Bobby Lashley promo where he tells us how dominant he is, we got a semi-final match between Eddie Edwards and Drew Galloway for the Grand (We Wrestle In Rounds!!) Championship. They went for a back-and-forth 'too close' to call classic but it fell really short of the mark. The match felt sloppy and was a bad case of just trying to set up one spot after another. Sort of like the poor man's version of Taker v Edge at Summer Slam 2008. The finish saw Galloway hit Edwards with his finisher, the Double Armed Hook DDT (otherwise known as Foley's DDT) with Eddie kicking out at the death. The judges deemed Galloway the winner, 2-1, earning him a place in the inaugural championship match at Bound For Glory. Outside of the match being poor, I also had an issue with it's placement on the show. I guess with spoilers and the way the whole tournament was written, it was obvious that Galloway was going to win, but if you're going to get a segment like this over, you may as well make it the main event.

Instead in the main event, we got EC3 & ROH's Moose taking on Lashley & ROH's Mike Bennett. I say ROH's just to give you an idea of how better both guys are being utilised in TNA. Moose is one of the most over guys on the roster and is booked like a real difference maker while Mike Bennett is your classic chicken shit heel who will stoop to any low to get what he wants. He reminds me a lot of Walton Goggins character from Vice Principals, just a prick of a human being. It's just a shame for Bennett that his strikes look awful. 'Wrestling's Secrets Exposed'? Nah, just watch a Mike Bennett match, that will save you the time. The match was set up straight after the Galloway match, with EC3 having a little confrontation with Drew before being blindsided by Bennett and Lashley. Moose makes the save, only to eat a spear and we had to wait another hour to see the match. When you've got such little intrigue and the match is so by the numbers, I believe it's best just to strike while the iron is hot. It's a shame as well because the match was a decent sprint with EC3 getting a flash pin on Bennett. It was what it needed to be, it just didn't need to be the main event.

Aron Rex (the former Damien Sandow) defeated Eli Drake following his rolling fore-arm to advance in the Grand (We Wrestle In Rounds!!!) Championship. Nothing match, but I like the finish with Rex using his rolling fore-arm to get the pin. It's important to establish a finishing move for the character and I like that there's a point of difference from his WWE run. Outside of looking like Mad Men's Jon Hamm and cutting really generic promos about how excited he is to be in TNA or how angry he is at Drew (I'm so angry...I can't even think!!) there isn't a whole lot to Rex. Meanwhile Drake is actually one of the best promos going right now, unfortunately his in-ring stuff is incredibly forgettable.

Finally we had a DJ Z sighting. Despite winning the X-Division championship on the September 1st edition of Impact, DJ Z hasn't been on Impact and it took him three weeks to cut a generic babyface promo talking about how much he's grown since his last reign. He declared himself a fighting champion, yadda yadda yadda and we got a throwaway match with Trevor Lee. Nothing offensive but this segment left a lot to be desired. Where was the continuity? On the September 1st show, DJ Z only won the match because the Helms Dynasty (Trevor Lee & Andrew Everett) bickered over the championship and DJ Z swooped in from under them and stole it. It's an easy story to tell, but there didn't appear to be any signs there. As a nit-pick, I wasn't a fan of Edwards being DJ Z's next opponent. A championship should never be a consolation prize and the obvious route would have been to go with Braxton Suttor who had just won his feud with Rockstar Spud.

By the time the Maria segment came on, it felt like I was well and truly in groundhog day territory. As I've mentioned before, TNA usually book her in interesting premises but somehow they don't quite work as well as they should. For this week's show, we had the classic DDP/La Parka, Malenko/Ciclope bit with Maria dominating jobbers until she goes one-on-one with a hooded figure who of course turns out to be her PPV opponent Gail Kim. This maybe the worst example of that segment, the whole timing of it felt awkward and the crowd wasn't interested at all. At one point, they teased a match between Maria and her apprentice Ally (one of the most over acts in TNA, think Bayley but more subserveant) which would have worked so well in hindsight. Like a lot of PWers, I'm just not a fan of Maria and find her to be one of the weakest parts of the Knockout division.

But enough of that, let's talk about the only reason why anybody watches TNA these days...the Hardy Boyz. One of the big reasons why I was so down on this show was that this was easily the weakest segment the Hardy Boyz have been in so far. Long story short, they got the better of the Decay and Reby once again got her hands on Rosemary. There's a lot to like about this angle but they were clearly out of ideas this week and just retraced the same steps as before. It would have worked better if they simply had a few pre-tapes and replays. I understand featuring Broken Matt Hardy on the show, but in this case it's important to save the character from forgettable segments such as this one.

In summary, it was a buffer show with little development and TNA would have been better off featuring other talent. Even if that talent isn't going to be on PPV, it's always nice to introduce fans to characters and get them familiar so that the show has some depth. When it's just the same segments over and over again, it's simply a waste of time.

Comment

The Goldberg segment was genuinely good for what it was. It was a 'welcome back' segment, which are usually fool-proof and the WWE did a good job of doubling down and making the most of the segment. I also think it was Bill's best promo because his words came across as genuine and while Meltzer was upset that Goldberg gave away the 'one and done' nature of the deal, I thought it added some much needed weight to Lesnar-Goldberg II. Let's face it, there's a lot of skepticism surrounding the match and it was coming across as an exhibition, so to add that emotional weight to it was a good move from where I'm sitting.

But yeah, genuinely happy for Bill and that promo definitely earned my attention.

In the meantime...

I watched the WWF '97 Triple Threat that Bake mentioned earlier. I was curious to know whether or not it was a dress rehearsal for Final Four but the Royal Rumble rematch had already been booked by that point and HBK's next big match was set to take place on the February 13th edition of Raw against Sid. The match maybe one of the best Sid Vicious showcases I can remember. The story is that Bret and Shawn can't stand each other, but they have a bigger fish to fry in Sid who just constantly dominates both men. Sid comes off like a monster and watching Shawn and Bret having to find different ways to take him down and keep him down is fun viewing. Of course, neither guy really brought their A game. While Shawn was never considered a master seller, at least not to the extent of a Ricky Morton, it seemed like he was taking the piss here with multiple Flair flops and straight up no-sells. I wonder if he was doing the old 'go-home' pain pill routine? Anyways, Bret has the match won when that no-good Texas Rattlesnake Stone Cold comes in and ruins it. For his trouble, Steve is knocked down by the guest enforcer, boxer George Chuvalo. Bret regains controls, locks Sid into a Sharpshooter only for Shawn to blindside him with a cross-body and pick up the win in a well orchestrated finish.

While I was digging up information on the original plans for the WWF heading into '97, I came across a recommendation from Dave. From NJPW/UWFI Tokyo Budokan Hall show it's Shinjiro Ohtani versus Masahito Kakihara from March 1st, 1996. I didn't have a lot of context for the match, other than we're in the middle of the NJPW/UWFI feud with UWFI firmly on top with Nabuhiko Takada as IWGP Champion. I know next to nothing about Kakihara while I haven't seen enough of Ohtani outside of a couple of matches he had against Eddie. Of course there was the Starrcade match which was solid, but it was the June 5th, 1996 match that stood out to me. It was one of my favourite matches on this particular Eddie Guerrero set and I thought it gave the Wild Pegasus June 11th, 1996 (aka the best Benoit/Eddie match) a run for it's money. Back to Kakihara/Ohtani and this was an easy watch. At only eight minutes, the match doesn't over-stay it's welcome and it does a good job of portraying Kakihara as a bad-ass while protecting Ohtani. Kakihara is firmly in control for the majority of the match and levels poor Ohtani with some brutal strikes whenever he dares to make a comeback. Ohtani is completely out-gunned but that doesn't stop him from trying to use his mat-skills to counter the superior striking ability of Kakihara. However, this was always Kakihara's match to lose and once he hits a lariat, it's curtains for Ohtani. Kakihara locks on a rear naked choke and Ohtani has no choice but to tap. I didn't quite love it as much as Meltzer, but I thought it was an enjoyable match all the same and it's easily accessed on Daily Motion.

Also slowly making my way through the past month of TNA Impact. I just watched the September 22nd, 2016 edition which was the slowest show of the bunch. In a lot of ways, this felt like a show where they were just spinning their wheels and it just seemed to be following a pattern. It's a shame because when the show opened, it felt like they were going to go down a different path. Instead of giving us the same Bobby Lashley promo where he tells us how dominant he is, we got a semi-final match between Eddie Edwards and Drew Galloway for the Grand (We Wrestle In Rounds!!) Championship. They went for a back-and-forth 'too close' to call classic but it fell really short of the mark. The match felt sloppy and was a bad case of just trying to set up one spot after another. Sort of like the poor man's version of Taker v Edge at Summer Slam 2008. The finish saw Galloway hit Edwards with his finisher, the Double Armed Hook DDT (otherwise known as Foley's DDT) with Eddie kicking out at the death. The judges deemed Galloway the winner, 2-1, earning him a place in the inaugural championship match at Bound For Glory. Outside of the match being poor, I also had an issue with it's placement on the show. I guess with spoilers and the way the whole tournament was written, it was obvious that Galloway was going to win, but if you're going to get a segment like this over, you may as well make it the main event.

Instead in the main event, we got EC3 & ROH's Moose taking on Lashley & ROH's Mike Bennett. I say ROH's just to give you an idea of how better both guys are being utilised in TNA. Moose is one of the most over guys on the roster and is booked like a real difference maker while Mike Bennett is your classic chicken shit heel who will stoop to any low to get what he wants. He reminds me a lot of Walton Goggins character from Vice Principals, just a prick of a human being. It's just a shame for Bennett that his strikes look awful. 'Wrestling's Secrets Exposed'? Nah, just watch a Mike Bennett match, that will save you the time. The match was set up straight after the Galloway match, with EC3 having a little confrontation with Drew before being blindsided by Bennett and Lashley. Moose makes the save, only to eat a spear and we had to wait another hour to see the match. When you've got such little intrigue and the match is so by the numbers, I believe it's best just to strike while the iron is hot. It's a shame as well because the match was a decent sprint with EC3 getting a flash pin on Bennett. It was what it needed to be, it just didn't need to be the main event.

Aron Rex (the former Damien Sandow) defeated Eli Drake following his rolling fore-arm to advance in the Grand (We Wrestle In Rounds!!!) Championship. Nothing match, but I like the finish with Rex using his rolling fore-arm to get the pin. It's important to establish a finishing move for the character and I like that there's a point of difference from his WWE run. Outside of looking like Mad Men's Jon Hamm and cutting really generic promos about how excited he is to be in TNA or how angry he is at Drew (I'm so angry...I can't even think!!) there isn't a whole lot to Rex. Meanwhile Drake is actually one of the best promos going right now, unfortunately his in-ring stuff is incredibly forgettable.

Finally we had a DJ Z sighting. Despite winning the X-Division championship on the September 1st edition of Impact, DJ Z hasn't been on Impact and it took him three weeks to cut a generic babyface promo talking about how much he's grown since his last reign. He declared himself a fighting champion, yadda yadda yadda and we got a throwaway match with Trevor Lee. Nothing offensive but this segment left a lot to be desired. Where was the continuity? On the September 1st show, DJ Z only won the match because the Helms Dynasty (Trevor Lee & Andrew Everett) bickered over the championship and DJ Z swooped in from under them and stole it. It's an easy story to tell, but there didn't appear to be any signs there. As a nit-pick, I wasn't a fan of Edwards being DJ Z's next opponent. A championship should never be a consolation prize and the obvious route would have been to go with Braxton Suttor who had just won his feud with Rockstar Spud.

By the time the Maria segment came on, it felt like I was well and truly in groundhog day territory. As I've mentioned before, TNA usually book her in interesting premises but somehow they don't quite work as well as they should. For this week's show, we had the classic DDP/La Parka, Malenko/Ciclope bit with Maria dominating jobbers until she goes one-on-one with a hooded figure who of course turns out to be her PPV opponent Gail Kim. This maybe the worst example of that segment, the whole timing of it felt awkward and the crowd wasn't interested at all. At one point, they teased a match between Maria and her apprentice Ally (one of the most over acts in TNA, think Bayley but more subserveant) which would have worked so well in hindsight. Like a lot of PWers, I'm just not a fan of Maria and find her to be one of the weakest parts of the Knockout division.

But enough of that, let's talk about the only reason why anybody watches TNA these days...the Hardy Boyz. One of the big reasons why I was so down on this show was that this was easily the weakest segment the Hardy Boyz have been in so far. Long story short, they got the better of the Decay and Reby once again got her hands on Rosemary. There's a lot to like about this angle but they were clearly out of ideas this week and just retraced the same steps as before. It would have worked better if they simply had a few pre-tapes and replays. I understand featuring Broken Matt Hardy on the show, but in this case it's important to save the character from forgettable segments such as this one.

In summary, it was a buffer show with little development and TNA would have been better off featuring other talent. Even if that talent isn't going to be on PPV, it's always nice to introduce fans to characters and get them familiar so that the show has some depth. When it's just the same segments over and over again, it's simply a waste of time.

Comment

Man I hear that WCW 1998 DVD set calling my name.

I think I stalled out after Bash at the Beach last time. Man Malone and DDP vs Hogan and Rodman was so bad.

Comment

Man I hear that WCW 1998 DVD set calling my name.

I think I stalled out after Bash at the Beach last time. Man Malone and DDP vs Hogan and Rodman was so bad.

Comment

I was listening to a podcast which had Scott Hudson on as a guest discussing WCW B & C shows. He started talking about all these weird angles from 98 that never went anywhere but were just something creative would throw together to give veteran guys like Chris Adams and Hole-In-One Darsow. Fun-fact, Hole-In-One Darsow was Larry Zbyszko's favourite wrestler because it allowed him to talk about his real passion, golf.

When I was younger, it used to frustrate me how limited WCW's coverage was. Nitro would come on at 9pm on a Saturday night and would be immediately followed by a re-run of an older show, typically from 1996. We wouldn't receive 'current' episodes of Thunder until February of 2001, the only access we had to Thunder & Saturday Night were reruns 1998-99. I've told this story before, but one of the silver-linings to WCW 2000 is that the product was so bad it instilled an interest in older shows.

I keep thinking about my WWF 1999 project and how it took me over four years to just watch through Raw, SmackDown, PPVs, Heat and half the Shotguns (I still have Super Astros and Metal to get through at some point) so I'm unsure if I'll ever put myself through the process of watching through Nitro, Thunder, Worldwide, Pro, Saturday Night and the PPVs. However, I'd certainly like to acquire them and fulfil a desire I had way back when.

Sometimes I yearn for the 90s, but then I remember how upset I would be when a favourite show of mine would be replaced only to never resurface. Nowadays, any show I missed out on is a finger click away which is one of those cool perks that makes me appreciate this decade more than ever.

Haven't watched any Pro Wrestling these past couple of days, resorting instead to podcasts. Don Callis (one of my favourite podcast guests) has his own podcast now with Storm where they trade old indy stories and break down current events in Pro Wrestling. It's simple stuff, but Callis has one of the better minds for the business and his wit is a breath of fresh air. If you haven't, I highly recommend his two episodes of Talk Is Jericho, they're among my favourites.

Also been watching a ton of shoots. One of the better ones recently was a Tod Gordon YouShoot where he breaks down ECW circa 1992-93. It's three hours, filled with a ton of good stories and unlike a lot of guests, Tod seems very eager to share his opinion. Like I said, it's three hours and they cover a lot of ground so it's difficult to break down but if you get the chance definitely hunt it down.

Comment

I was listening to a podcast which had Scott Hudson on as a guest discussing WCW B & C shows. He started talking about all these weird angles from 98 that never went anywhere but were just something creative would throw together to give veteran guys like Chris Adams and Hole-In-One Darsow. Fun-fact, Hole-In-One Darsow was Larry Zbyszko's favourite wrestler because it allowed him to talk about his real passion, golf.

When I was younger, it used to frustrate me how limited WCW's coverage was. Nitro would come on at 9pm on a Saturday night and would be immediately followed by a re-run of an older show, typically from 1996. We wouldn't receive 'current' episodes of Thunder until February of 2001, the only access we had to Thunder & Saturday Night were reruns 1998-99. I've told this story before, but one of the silver-linings to WCW 2000 is that the product was so bad it instilled an interest in older shows.

I keep thinking about my WWF 1999 project and how it took me over four years to just watch through Raw, SmackDown, PPVs, Heat and half the Shotguns (I still have Super Astros and Metal to get through at some point) so I'm unsure if I'll ever put myself through the process of watching through Nitro, Thunder, Worldwide, Pro, Saturday Night and the PPVs. However, I'd certainly like to acquire them and fulfil a desire I had way back when.

Sometimes I yearn for the 90s, but then I remember how upset I would be when a favourite show of mine would be replaced only to never resurface. Nowadays, any show I missed out on is a finger click away which is one of those cool perks that makes me appreciate this decade more than ever.

Haven't watched any Pro Wrestling these past couple of days, resorting instead to podcasts. Don Callis (one of my favourite podcast guests) has his own podcast now with Storm where they trade old indy stories and break down current events in Pro Wrestling. It's simple stuff, but Callis has one of the better minds for the business and his wit is a breath of fresh air. If you haven't, I highly recommend his two episodes of Talk Is Jericho, they're among my favourites.

Also been watching a ton of shoots. One of the better ones recently was a Tod Gordon YouShoot where he breaks down ECW circa 1992-93. It's three hours, filled with a ton of good stories and unlike a lot of guests, Tod seems very eager to share his opinion. Like I said, it's three hours and they cover a lot of ground so it's difficult to break down but if you get the chance definitely hunt it down.

Comment

Working...
                                X