AJPW: The Golden Years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJPW: The Golden Years

Greetings, History of Wrestling! Those of you who read the Match Review thread know that a while back I was watching 90s AJPW in chronological order from about 1990 to 1993, checking out all of the big matches and most of the not-so-big matches involving the top guys. It is simply my favourite wrestling product of all time, a promotion who does almost all of its storytelling and character development within wrestling matches. Personally I don't think any other wrestling company comes close to AJPW in terms of consistency and extraordinarily high quality.

The last AJPW I watched was the Real World Tag League at the end of 1993. That was over a year ago, perhaps even two years by now. At that time my free time was becoming more and more limited and the slice of time I would devote to AJPW watching ceased to exist. Now things have changed. I have time to spare, and a fresh calendar year of AJPW to watch!

This post is not only an introduction to the project, but also a place to set the scene for what is to come. In other words, what is the state of AJPW as 1993 ticks into 1994? I address this both to refresh my memory and to give the readers of this thread some perspective on the promotion. My plan was to use my old posts in the Match Review thread to answer the question, but the search function on PW is busted, so I have to rely on the internet beyond PW. The internet is usually a treasure trove for information on anything you can think of, but there is surprisingly little on 90s AJPW. I have only Wikipedia and Cagematch to rely on.

AJPW Roster 1994
    Spoiler

The rivalry that dominates AJPW is between Mitsuharu Misawa and Toshiaki Kawada. Misawa became the company ace in 1992, after triumphing over longtime rival and former ace Jumbo Tsuruta and winning the Triple Crown from Stan Hansen in August 1992. Misawa successfully defended the belt six times up to the start of 1994. Two of those defenses were against Kawada. Kawada was Misawa's second in the feud against Jumbo Tsuruta, but the cracks began to form in their friendship when they lost the AJPW Tag Team Championships in early 1993. Several months later, Kawada turned on Misawa and partnered with former rival Akira Taue to form the Holy Demon Army. They picked up a huge victory against Misawa and Kobashi shortly after their formation before capturing the tag team titles in their first shot. They remained dominant until they lost the belts to Ted DiBiase and Stan Hansen. They placed third in the Real World Tag League at the close of 1993, notably losing to winners Misawa and Kobashi in the final round (Stan Hansen and AJPW booker Giant Baba placed second).

Heading into 1994, Misawa is unquestionably the top dog. I don't think he has been pinned or submitted since winning the Triple Crown in August 1992, and he holds both the Triple Crown and the AJPW Tag Team titles. However, his main rival Kawada is only getting stronger, and the gaijins Hansen, Williams and Gordy are hot on his heels, all seeking both single and tag team gold. Kobashi, Akiyama and Taue are also not too far from becoming legitimate threats. How long will Misawa be able to keep his gold, and who will be the men to dethrone him? Stay tuned and find out with me!

Re: AJPW: The Golden Years

After the discussion in the PWO thread and rediscovering ClassicsPuro83 on youtube I'm also getting back in the saddle. I just watched Hansen and Kobashi from July of 1993 again last week. I just want to sit back and enjoy these matches which is why you won't be seeing a review though. Looking forward to more in this thread.
    Last edited by The Icon; 05-10-2016, 01:28 PM.

Comment

After the discussion in the PWO thread and rediscovering ClassicsPuro83 on youtube I'm also getting back in the saddle. I just watched Hansen and Kobashi from July of 1993 again last week. I just want to sit back and enjoy these matches which is why you won't be seeing a review though. Looking forward to more in this thread.

Comment

Very excited and intrigued by the prospect of this thread. Ever since picking up a copy of VPW2 for the N64, I've been wanting to learn more about the puroresu scene... I've just been too lazy to do any direct exploring myself. This seems like it'll be a fascinating solution.
        : 04/02/11}:forever&always
        ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
        http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

Comment

Very excited and intrigued by the prospect of this thread. Ever since picking up a copy of VPW2 for the N64, I've been wanting to learn more about the puroresu scene... I've just been too lazy to do any direct exploring myself. This seems like it'll be a fascinating solution.
          : 04/02/11}:forever&always
          ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
          http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

Comment

I've actually created a list of a bunch of 90's AJPW matches that are rated highly that I want to go through, so the timing of this is near perfect.

Excited to see this progress.

Big thanks to Surrender!

PW Accolades

Spoiler

Comment

I've actually created a list of a bunch of 90's AJPW matches that are rated highly that I want to go through, so the timing of this is near perfect.

Excited to see this progress.

Big thanks to Surrender!

PW Accolades

Spoiler

Comment

This should be good. I'll be following.

Comment

This should be good. I'll be following.

Comment

Thanks for the positive response! It means a lot.

Originally posted by The Icon View Post
                    Indeed, it's often nice to sit back and enjoy a match without feeling obligated to type something. But it's also nice to share one's thoughts with the community and to keep a record for looking back many years down the line. Different strokes for different folks.

Emperor subscribes to ClassicsPuro83

Comment

Thanks for the positive response! It means a lot.

Originally posted by The Icon View Post
                      Indeed, it's often nice to sit back and enjoy a match without feeling obligated to type something. But it's also nice to share one's thoughts with the community and to keep a record for looking back many years down the line. Different strokes for different folks.

Emperor subscribes to ClassicsPuro83

Comment

I once planned a comprehensive documenting of a thorough work-through of 90s All Japan. It was about 200 matches in total, including a handful of scene-setting pre-90s matches (such as Jumbo/Tenryu 6/5/89) and epilogue matches (like Misawa/Kobashi 3/1/03). Writing the backstories and match reviews was just taking so long when I didn't have much spare time, so I abandoned it mid-way through 1990 but always planned to return to it. I might not need to now, which isn't a bad thing, as this project will no doubt be a tremendous resource and I can just chime in with my thoughts now and then.

Might as well start now with two random thoughts:

It was circumstance that gave us the Misawa/Kawada feud, more than outright planning. Perhaps it would have happened eventually, but it certainly was not planned to be this epic thing as early as it happened. Misawa was always highly regarded by Baba, given that he was given the Tiger Mask gimmick, but I don't think there was any real thought to have him drop the mask yet until Tenryu decided to break off and form SWS. Out of nowhere, Misawa was out the mask, had beaten Jumbo and it was all about Jumbo fighting off this new generation. Then there was no real plan for Kawada as Misawa's main rival until Jumbo's illness. They quickly had Kawada split from Misawa, team with Taue and the Four Corners of Heaven era began. Baba may have been conservative as a booker, but when things like that forced his hand, he acted fast.

I also love that the main natives in this mid-90s spell each have their own colours. Misawa is green and white. Kawada is black and yellow. Kobashi is orange. Taue is red. Akiyama is blue.

Thoroughly looking forward to this.

Comment

I once planned a comprehensive documenting of a thorough work-through of 90s All Japan. It was about 200 matches in total, including a handful of scene-setting pre-90s matches (such as Jumbo/Tenryu 6/5/89) and epilogue matches (like Misawa/Kobashi 3/1/03). Writing the backstories and match reviews was just taking so long when I didn't have much spare time, so I abandoned it mid-way through 1990 but always planned to return to it. I might not need to now, which isn't a bad thing, as this project will no doubt be a tremendous resource and I can just chime in with my thoughts now and then.

Might as well start now with two random thoughts:

It was circumstance that gave us the Misawa/Kawada feud, more than outright planning. Perhaps it would have happened eventually, but it certainly was not planned to be this epic thing as early as it happened. Misawa was always highly regarded by Baba, given that he was given the Tiger Mask gimmick, but I don't think there was any real thought to have him drop the mask yet until Tenryu decided to break off and form SWS. Out of nowhere, Misawa was out the mask, had beaten Jumbo and it was all about Jumbo fighting off this new generation. Then there was no real plan for Kawada as Misawa's main rival until Jumbo's illness. They quickly had Kawada split from Misawa, team with Taue and the Four Corners of Heaven era began. Baba may have been conservative as a booker, but when things like that forced his hand, he acted fast.

I also love that the main natives in this mid-90s spell each have their own colours. Misawa is green and white. Kawada is black and yellow. Kobashi is orange. Taue is red. Akiyama is blue.

Thoroughly looking forward to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Strobe View Post
                            I've always liked this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Strobe View Post
                              I've always liked this as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X