Announcement

Collapse

Fan Fiction Rules & Guidelines

THE RULES & GUIDELINES OF FAN FICTION

-There will be no flaming (insulting), spamming (making stupid, inane posts) and flame-baiting (luring someone into flaming you).

-You can't use deceased wrestlers. The only exception to this rule is if you're doing a federation that takes place in the 80s or something similar.

-Keep everything regarding your federation in one thread.

-There are three places where you can advertise a federation: in the thread of that federation, in your signature and in the Fed Thread. Nowhere else, if we find any advertising elsewhere, you will receive a warning for SPAM.

-Don't expect to get reviews from other people if you don't give reviews yourself. If you don't want any feedback to your shows, fine.

-Don't give feedback in the middle of a show. Posting in the middle of a show will result in deletion of your post and a warning for spam.

-You are not expected to leave a full on review of the show (though you can if you like). All you are required to do is to write a few comments with some substance behind them. This in no way shape or form means you can post one line reviews, they will be deleted and warned. So don’t post something like "Wow, great show! 9/10!".

-Even though it is creative writing, due to board rules we cannot allow racial and/or homophobic slurs/insults/etc. in your feds. This type of language will be warned immediately. And please note - racism is an automatic ban.

-Don't get mad when someone rips your show to pieces. Use the criticism in a positive way and use it to increase the quality of your federation. When someone insults you instead of giving good feedback, report that post to the Moderators.

-Don't bump your thread to the top if you've written nothing new in days. It just pushes other threads that are active down.

-If you're going to write a federation, put some effort in it. Stuff with horrendous grammar and spelling and no punctuation will be deleted. So will posts that only have ten or so sentences. They are regarded as spam. If you don't put effort into writing, don't even bother.

-If you're tired of your current federation and want to start a new one or return to an older federation, your current one must have at least four regular shows and a Pay-Per-View. This is done to prevent threads that have one or two posts in it. If you don't follow this rule, you'll be forbidden to start a new federation or return to an old federation for two weeks. If you make a fed within two weeks of the first one closing or return to an old fed, will we lock your thread, and it will not be opened for ANOTHER two weeks. For example, if you leave your thread on the 1st of the month and then make another one on the 10th, we will lock your new thread until the 24th. Two weeks from the opening of your new thread, remember that folks! For those whos fed follow the 'DVD Format' your fed must have contained at least four chapters in order to bypass the two week rule.

- Posters are now allowed a second fed, providing they have proven their commitment to their first fed. Permission to start a second fed will be granted from the moderating team. We will not consider anyone whose fed has not lasted at least two pay-per-views, however, this does not guarantee we will say yes.

- Two feds at a time Max.

- If you have two running at the same time, both must be updated a minimum of every 30 days. If this is not maintained without valid reason, one will be closed (poster's choice as to which is closed).

- If you abandon a fed/fed gets closed/etc., then you must wait until gaining permission again to start another second fed.

-You can also have one additional non-Fed related story in addition to your federation. This non-Fed has a two week rule, meaning you wait two weeks from the last post to post a new one.

-You do not need to contact WMS or RT to close a thread for you if you're moving on to a new project. Just let it drop to the bottom. We will also no longer be cleaning old threads for you -- start a new thread. Also, we do NOT delete threads. We keep them around for historical value.

-Spotlight of the Month: this is currently decided by the Power 10 Rankings. The winner is given the dubious honor of being the Spotlight of the Month. That Fed will be stickied for the entire month with the added extension “Spotlight of the Month” added to the end of their Fed Title.

-No more "I'll be starting a fed soon" or "more to come soon". Start your fed with substance or it will be deleted. And then you’ll have to wait two weeks to start another one.

-Plagiarizing is a serious offence and anyone caught doing so will be banned without warning.

-Multi-Participation Threads are banned for the time being, they descend into chaos too quick and quite frankly too much time is spent modding them.

-DO NOT post reviews of reviews, arguing with every person who reviews you. If you would like, after a substantial period of time, to reply to all reviews together, fine. Mindless bumps will not be accepted.

-Please note that all your shows and PPVs must take place in your thread not on a website elsewhere. Everybody else can write it here, so can you.

- The 20 Questions thread is a Question and Answer interview-like thread for the members of Fan Fiction. The “next” person to participate in the thread is chosen by the current person being interviewed. Please do not post asking to be next. The person before you makes that decision.

- Please do not post "get on AIM/MSN/Yahoo." If you want them to do so, send them a Private Message or Rep asking so. There is no need to waste a post doing so.

- General Discussion is banned from Fan Fiction. It was great while it lasted, but it was abused too many times.

-NO EROTIC LITERATURE!

Finally, a harsh reality for people: WMS and RT are the last word on a subject in FF. If we ask you, or tell you, to do something, it isn't a debate. At least not on the forum. If you have a problem, IM or PM one of us, and we will gladly sort it out.

Thank you.
The Fan Fiction Moderating Team,
WMS & RT
See more
See less

The Rise and Fall of Lonestar Wrestling

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rise and Fall of Lonestar Wrestling

Chapter One -- The Beginning

This is the first in a series of interviews on my fed Lonestar Wrestling, better known as the LSW, and why LSW rose and quickly fell. We’re going to focus primarily on LSW’s breakout Season II.

Originally, LSW was my attempt to write a fed that combined my favorite indy wrestlers with the big names seen in TNA and WWE. I was struggling to do so, when my brother-from-another-mother PI stepped in and wrote a fantastic back story for LSW. He also briefly contributed to the kayfabe world I was creating with Empire State Wrestling (aka - ESW), but it never panned out. PI also developed the roster, knowing what I was looking for. This challenged me to do something different by using someone else’s roster and developing something new from there.

I also wanted to challenge some of the general notions of “fan fiction” wrestling. I introduced the Iron and Fusion championships to redefine the general rules of a fed that “all titles must be the same.” The Iron Division was a thinly-veiled modification of the Ring of Honor Pure Title while the Fusion Division was what I considered the next-step in the progression of “high-flying” championships…from the wCw Cruiserweight Championship to the TNA X-Division Championship to the Fusion Division Championship.

Going back to my idea of blending the indys with mainstream wrestling, I developed the “Battle at the Alamo” concept to do an indy tourney to crown the first Champion. No one expected John Cena, which added to the fun of shocking you. I also introduced Chris Jericho in a shocking turn that would lead to the double-turn between Cena and Jericho in the same vein as Austin/Bret at Wrestlemania 13.

What was also fun was putting some of my favorite indy guys on an equal platform as established wrestlers in believable ways. Danielson vs. Regal, for instance, was a tremendous feud because stripping away which feds they were, their reputations and ring styles synched-up so well. I also tried developing the Tag Team scene by including mix-matched teams such as Gregory Helms and Christopher Daniels or Matt Striker and CM Punk. It just overall seemed to blend these different guys effectively, though that’s all in the eyes of the readers.

LSW Season I was riding along to great success when the Benoit murders occurred. Benoit, who was not only a main focus in the fed but one of my favorite personas in all of wrestling not only derailed the fed’s progress, but destroyed my passion. I tried writing the fed from there but was unable to keep up.

Eventually, that old itch to return to writing kicked in and I was so in love with the characters I was developing in LSW that I decided to skip ahead to Season II.

Next, I’ll discuss the ideas behind Season II.

Lonestar Wrestling Season I: http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=22927
    Lonestar Wrestling Season II: http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=65217

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Re: The Rise and Fall of Lonestar Wrestling

Chapter Two -- Developing the Fed

When I began developing Season II, I wanted my storylines to be unique. No more wrestler x hates wrestler y for generic reason a that so many real-life promotions do. I decided to take stories everyone knows and translate them into the wrestling world. Originally, every story was to be taken from the bible. As I began fleshing out storyline, it slowly took the progression to just being famous stories, namely film. I kept the religious theme in the title of the season, “Genesis.” It seemed appropriate since I was developing something new.

I also realized I wasn’t writing so much a wrestling fed as I was an organic story. What would affect the top of the card would have reverberations to the lowest of the lows on the card. Through this, I decided to incorporate a three-act play structure with a defined beginning, middle, and end. Even when I wrote the introductory interview with Shawn discussing the fed, I had him blatantly explain it:

Originally posted by Shawn Michaels Interview
    LSW Season II will be only three months. The way I look at it, professional wrestling isn’t just a sport and it isn’t just a TV show. It’s more organic than that. It’s like a play. So we’re splitting it up like one. Season II will in essence be a three-act play. The first PPV will be the close of Act I, PPV II will be Act II and naturally, PPV III will be Act 3.
    The other thing I tried doing differently was half-laziness, half-brilliance, to use those terms lightly. I didn’t have the desire to write a full fed anymore…with segments, promos, matches, etc. It had become cliché and to be honest…I didn’t want to make anyone read it. I was writing an indy fed…I felt it should read like one. So the development of message board-style posts for the shows made it accessible for all readers, much like RoH shows are. Some people loved this idea (Jeff, PI)…others hated it (Kid). I was happy with the overall format, but I understood the criticisms…the lack of actual “writing” that was involved. I only see that now in hindsight, though.

The last thing I’ll discuss in this edition is the “marketing” of LSW. I wanted to build hype, so with the help of PI I developed a series of banners for promoting some of the main characters in LSW -- Austin Aries, Samoa Joe, Matt Striker, William Regal, Christian Cage, Edge, and the Hooliganz (London and Kendrick).

Spoiler

I was inspired by the brilliant marketing campaign DC Comics had been doing for their weekly comic “Countdown.” Teaser ads ran for months promoting the campaign with choppy text, cryptic taglines and a stark orange background. The first I saw a Jimmy Olsen teaser with the brilliant line “Jimmy Olsen Must Die”:

Spoiler

You can see how fond I was by looking back at my Austin Aries teaser.

One more thing to glance at in my “marketing” campaign was the bizarre wall of photos and phrases image I posted in the Fed Thread as LSW was ready to begin again earlier this year:

Spoiler

This was also inspired by DC Comics, though not an ad-campaign and instead an in-comic reference. One of their characters, the time-traveling Rip Hunter, has become an internet phenomenon for his blackboards:

Spoiler

Hunter’s blackboards are DC Editorials way of providing teasers for the comic community…a glimpse at the storylines to come. Mine were the same philosophy…cryptic quotes and phrases would serve as the platform to the storylines you’d see in the future.

Next time, we’ll get into the storylines themselves.

Lonestar Wrestling Season I: http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=22927
    Lonestar Wrestling Season II: http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=65217

Comment

This has been a really good read thus far, KJ. I wasn't happy when you stopped writing, but it's definitely understandable, as everyone loses interest at some point. I really like this, though. It has a documentary feel, it's really nice. One of the main things I really empathize with you about is the Benoit situation. I had him Main Eventing my WrestleMania in my WWF fed, and him dying really screwed me over, as I had no backup plan at all and there was no one who could realistically take his place. That's the main reason I ended the WWF fed. I feel like I would've still had it going, if not for at least a little while longer. I think I would've at least done my WrestleMania if I still had him in there, but without him, it was really difficult to just replace him and it was too difficult to continue with the fed.
      Last edited by Parth; 11-08-2008, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Parth.

Between segments, feel free to ask questions guys. I'd love to have some dialogue as well.

Comment

DFamn KJ this is great reading... I really like seeing how you came up with all the ideas and such. The fact PI put together that roster just speaks volumes about his Fan Fic mind in relation to how a fed works, its a pity he doesn't have a fed round these parts anymore... what impressed me just as much was what you did with a roster that you didn't put together... that was great in itself, also the stories and such and how you came up with them was great... I always loved that season II banner with the shadowy figure, now I see the reason behinf it, SIMPLY AWESOME!
          Thanks to Rad for the awesome banner!

Comment

I hate that you didn't finish that Regal/Orton storyline, Kip.

I just read the 2 season, and they were both awesome.

Comment

Thanks Chris. And call me KJ...

Regal/Orton, Aries storyline, and the Shawn Michaels-through-the-windshield storyline were my favorite ones.

Today I'll start posting the breakdowns of storylines.

Comment

I won't post some of my questions because you said you'll be nexting to the development of storylines and addressing storyline-related things in the next chapter...

In the meanwhile...

I recall absolutely loving your rendition of Christian Cage. I also recall you having trouble finding a right fit for Sting and other characters. You also wrote so fluently as Shawn Michaels, and your description of certain characters actions (the examples that spring immediately to mind are William Regal, Bryan Danielson, Chris Benoit, and Brent Albright). At some point, can you comment on your relationship with the characters you used? Who were your favorites to write with? Any surprises there? Also, who proved to be difficult to write with and/or fit into the scheme of things? Again, any surprises? Finally... what characters do you wish you could've used in LSW that you couldn't or didn't during its two season?

Beyond those questions... I agree with Mike and Parth. This is a great, interesting read. AND... I always love seeing shoutouts for PI's genius.

: 04/02/11}:forever&always
                ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
                http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

Comment

hey mate just to let you know i just read through what you have got and i really like it i will leave some proper comments after the next installment

Comment

Chapter Three -- The Cacophony Society

One of my attempts at promoting LSW was a mini-viral marketing campaign where I sent several members the following message via PM:

Originally posted by Cacophony Society
                    You’re the first to hear the word, to possibly learn the truth behind the disarray. It is your responsibility to share The Word to those whose deaf ears bleed from the silence.

This is the story of one man who thought he was better than everyone else. His sick, twisted delusions of grandeur…and why? Because he’s young? Because the world hasn’t spit him out across the masses? He waited and waited, and this irreplaceable truth finally came to fruition.

He failed. It was unavoidable, everyone falls from grace. And when he did, he looked up and me and realized he was not his “six-pack”, he was not his championship aspirations.

This was a man who reached rock bottom; who reached his home.

These words are true; these words have yet to pass, yet these words are the past.

Spread The Word.
                    This was the beginning of my CM Punk/Johnny Jeter storyline. Punk was the messenger of the Cacophony Society, with his messages directed at Jeter, who was then the Fusion Division Champion.

Punk was preaching for Jeter, who had turned into an egotistical, self-absorbed man who felt his sole reason for being alive was to be champion. Jeter was booked to lose the title at the first PPV (we’ll get to who exactly in future posts), it was Punk who would pick him up; brainwashing him in the process. Punk’s philosophy was that you’re bound to hit rock bottom…and once you do you can live.

Sound familiar? No?

Simply put, CM Punk was Tyler Durden and Jeter was the narrator from Fight Club.

Obviously the split-personality concept wouldn’t play a part, but the nihilistic teachings of Punk to the shallow, young, short-sighted Jeter was designed to mimic their relationship with one another.

The two men would band together, inseparable as brothers, until Jeter would realize he was nothing more than a tool for Punk’s main quest -- to take over the LSW. Slowly, Punk was building an army with various wrestlers who seemingly had lost their purpose. He was counseling them and retooling their anger towards his own plot.

It wouldn’t be until the finale of the season, Act III, that Jeter would see through Punk’s motives. Season III would begin with a blood feud between the two, one of the few storylines I intended to carry over.

Going back to the teaser poster…

Spoiler

You can see “The Cacophony Society Needs JJ” in the top-left corner. I think that is self-explanatory now, no?

Oh, and the name of Punk’s faction has a cool tie to Fight Club as well. Fight Club’s author, Chuck Palahniuk, has claimed a small society he was a part of inspired the Project Mayhem group in the novel. And that society’s name? You guess it…The Cacophony Society.

Next time...Montel Vontavious Porter

Comment

DAMN KJ!

That would have been a killer angle/storyline to have seen played out man...

I would have loved to have seen who else would have joined Punk...

Comment

Thanks Mike.

It also had overtones of Raven's more cerebral days...but of course that makes sense since he's a nihilist as well.

Comment

Injecting Raven into the angle in some capacity would have been great too man... like maybe he's the one who made Jetter see what Punk was doing and wakes him up.....

Comment

generating fight club into wrestling? that has to be an all time greatest idea ever. my envy is that i never thought of it (and never would have either, but now you've inspired me to try a motive like that from a book or movie into a wrestling story liine)
                            Candice Larae, Bea Priestley, Nixon Newell, and Tessa Blanchard tribute
                            Finn Balor is the future of the WWE
                            Siera, Hotel, India, Echo, Lima, Delta - Forever
                            Cena fan for LIFE
                            Did you know, without lifts, Ambrose is taller than Reigns by an inch?

banner by, Dj LatinoHeat

Comment

Greywolf, you'll see all my storylines were based on either film, stage, novels, or the Bible.

Glad you liked it.

Comment

Working...
                              X