Wilderness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilderness

Hi everyone, my name is Ed I'm 30 and from Southern England. I didn't really start watching wrestling until about '97. I stopped watching in 2001 just before the invasion. I started again last November, Survivor Series, after listening to Steve Austin's podcast. I'd heard a few mentions that wrestling was really bad now and the whole business was in trouble stuff like that. So I decided to start watching again with an almost morbid curiosity to see just how bad things had gotten. Luckily I think the naysayers were wrong and we could be on the cusp of a new era of great wrestling, well maybe that's over stating it but I think the future is bright.

I joined the forum because wrestling is a social thing. It just gets better when you share it with others, that's true whether you're at an event, talking with your mates or on a forum. I chose the name since I've been away for 15 years I am coming out of the wilderness back to the civilisation of wrestling... something like that.

Back in the day I was a huge mark for Bret Hart, Undertaker and Mick Foley. Foley's retirement at the hands of triple H really pissed me off and was probably one of the reasons I stopped watching. I like heels on top with a face chasing. But when there's no payoff, it's just urgh disappointing. I really gravitate towards the underdog which in WWE means I end up liking heels more than faces. Others I liked back in the day were people like Goldust and Jeff Jarrett, looking back I have no idea why I liked Jarrett.

Present day I see things completely differently. Rather than being drawn to characters I'm impressed by ring work. I love NXT, not so much the main roster. NXT just feels like a really well put together show, I'm always left wanting more. To name a couple that I like, I'm going to have to go with Bailey, just because it seems so hard to go over as a straight baby face these days and she's managed it. The other and this might be surprising but Elias Sampson, for a similar reason. He seems to be the only guy who can get over as a straight heel. Which seems to be a remarkable achievement these days. Though they need to give him some wins soon they're stepping on him very hard at the moment.

Comics to me growing up were the Dandy and the Beano, so no never caught the bug. I do own one graphic novel, if that counts. A friend leant me a copy of Maus which is probably the most harrowing and emotionally engaging piece about the holocaust I've seen in any media. So I bought my own copy of that.

Anything else? Hmm.... I have tickets to Vader vs Osprey which I'm very excited about. The rest of the card looks great as well Zack Sabre Jr vs Jeff Cobb;
    Marty Scurll vs Chris Hero; Ricochet vs Pete Dunne. Some future main events there for sure.

Re: Wilderness

I'm a tad jealous you're going to that show. Should be a good one.

Welcome! Nice intro. Always nice to have someone ready to participate and have some fun.

Check out The Coliseum! PW SummerSlam is right around the corner. And since you're an NXT fan be sure to hit up the thread in the WWE forum, or the WWOW forum for indie stuff.

Comment

I'm a tad jealous you're going to that show. Should be a good one.

Welcome! Nice intro. Always nice to have someone ready to participate and have some fun.

Check out The Coliseum! PW SummerSlam is right around the corner. And since you're an NXT fan be sure to hit up the thread in the WWE forum, or the WWOW forum for indie stuff.

Comment

Hi thanks for the welcome. I hope the Vader match works, I have my worries about it. He's 61 I think there's something like 38 years between him and Ospreay. It could potentially be a disaster. If it goes 8 minutes I'll be very happy if it goes 12 I'll be ecstatic. I watched his match on Raw against Heath Slater from 2012 if we get something like that it'll be good. But I read that he had a match in TNA last year which wasn't. At least it's backed up by a strong undercard.

I've been reading the Coliseum forum a bit. It looks great! I am truly awful at RPG's though and I'm not sure how it all works yet. You make a promo and then people vote on who wins the match? The other thread that looks great is the WrasslinFights one. But those guys are way more knowledgeable than me. I'll definitely be giving that a go but the competition looks really tough.

Comment

Hi thanks for the welcome. I hope the Vader match works, I have my worries about it. He's 61 I think there's something like 38 years between him and Ospreay. It could potentially be a disaster. If it goes 8 minutes I'll be very happy if it goes 12 I'll be ecstatic. I watched his match on Raw against Heath Slater from 2012 if we get something like that it'll be good. But I read that he had a match in TNA last year which wasn't. At least it's backed up by a strong undercard.

I've been reading the Coliseum forum a bit. It looks great! I am truly awful at RPG's though and I'm not sure how it all works yet. You make a promo and then people vote on who wins the match? The other thread that looks great is the WrasslinFights one. But those guys are way more knowledgeable than me. I'll definitely be giving that a go but the competition looks really tough.

Comment

Greetings, Ed! I am also from England, but I'm a scummy northerner. There's a few of us Brits here.

Have you been to many Revolution Pro Wrestling shows?

Originally posted by Wilderness View Post
            I've been reading the Coliseum forum a bit. It looks great! I am truly awful at RPG's though and I'm not sure how it all works yet. You make a promo and then people vote on who wins the match?
            That's exactly right. Don't worry about your quality so much. We're not professional role players, just a bunch of wrestling fans goofing around and having a good time.

The other thread that looks great is the WrasslinFights one. But those guys are way more knowledgeable than me. I'll definitely be giving that a go but the competition looks really tough.
            We do have a few super-knowledgeable posters in History of Wrestling, but not everyone has that level of encyclopedic knowledge. Also, the extent of your knowledge is far from everything in these debates. A minor advantage at best. You'll be fine. And I see you've signed up for the next one, which is fantastic!

Comment

Greetings, Ed! I am also from England, but I'm a scummy northerner. There's a few of us Brits here.

I've been reading the Coliseum forum a bit. It looks great! I am truly awful at RPG's though and I'm not sure how it all works yet. You make a promo and then people vote on who wins the match?
              That's exactly right. Don't worry about your quality so much. We're not professional role players, just a bunch of wrestling fans goofing around and having a good time.

The other thread that looks great is the WrasslinFights one. But those guys are way more knowledgeable than me. I'll definitely be giving that a go but the competition looks really tough.
              We do have a few super-knowledgeable posters in History of Wrestling, but not everyone has that level of encyclopedic knowledge. Also, the extent of your knowledge is far from everything in these debates. A minor advantage at best. You'll be fine. And I see you've signed up for the next one, which is fantastic!

Comment

Welcome to PW. Like the guys have said, look around the board as we have a forum covering almost any topic you'd want. If you ever have any questions, please feel free to message me, or another member of the forum staff.

Comment

Welcome to PW. Like the guys have said, look around the board as we have a forum covering almost any topic you'd want. If you ever have any questions, please feel free to message me, or another member of the forum staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Emperor View Post

No this will be my first one. They seem to be mostly London and Portsmouth and I'm in Kent. My local one which I have been to a couple of times is IPW:UK. Last show I went to had the London Riots who I've heard have been signed to NXT. Not sure how true that is but we'll wait and see. British wrestling definitely seems to be on the rise now though.

I'll sit out the upcoming PPV and just watch for now see how it goes.

Yeah I've recently got into wrestling history, like really old stuff, how it all started in the 1870's. I was thinking of using Farmer Burns as my avatar.

Comment

No this will be my first one. They seem to be mostly London and Portsmouth and I'm in Kent. My local one which I have been to a couple of times is IPW:UK. Last show I went to had the London Riots who I've heard have been signed to NXT. Not sure how true that is but we'll wait and see. British wrestling definitely seems to be on the rise now though.

I'll sit out the upcoming PPV and just watch for now see how it goes.

Yeah I've recently got into wrestling history, like really old stuff, how it all started in the 1870's. I was thinking of using Farmer Burns as my avatar.

Comment

Maus is a terrific comic. Great purchase! In one of our boards old defunct gift exchange, I received a Beano comic from a Brit, so I actually know what you're talking about.

Welcome!

-Hayze

Originally posted by iNCY
                        yes I am a little bitch.

Comment

Maus is a terrific comic. Great purchase! In one of our boards old defunct gift exchange, I received a Beano comic from a Brit, so I actually know what you're talking about.

Welcome!

-Hayze

Originally posted by iNCY
                          yes I am a little bitch.

Comment

Welcome to the forums, Wilderness.

Banner Credit: Surrender
                            Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

Anime Currently Watching
                            Dragon Ball Super, Pokemon Sun & Moon

Comment