Ads Interfering with the Forum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ads Interfering with the Forum

The moderators have heard from each other and several other members that there have been issues browsing and posting on the forum because of ads. I wanted to make this thread so that we can all give suggestions about making visits to PW smoother. I did just open PW on a different browser than I normally use (without an adblock software) and the worst type of ad popped up - a video ad - so I'm guessing a lot of people are experiencing similar issues.

So if anyone doesn't have problems with ads - or if you did and found a way around it - post your tips and tricks here. A lot of the complaints have been about viewing PW from a mobile devices and tablets too, so if you have browser and/or adblock suggestions for that, post that as well.

I've been using Adblock Plus for Chrome and never see a single ad on PW. For mobile viewing, I installed a browser called Dolphin which comes with a built-in Adblock option, and I now no longer see ads on mobile. I think this would work for iPads and other tablets as well.

Re: Ads Interfering with the Forum

For whatever reason AdBlock Plus on Firefox works fine for me, but on Chrome it's like it isn't even installed. No idea how that's even possible.

Also browsing on my phone is impossible no matter what I'm using. As soon as an ad pops up I can't do anything.

So yeah...seems like different people are having different issues.

Comment

For whatever reason AdBlock Plus on Firefox works fine for me, but on Chrome it's like it isn't even installed. No idea how that's even possible.

Also browsing on my phone is impossible no matter what I'm using. As soon as an ad pops up I can't do anything.

So yeah...seems like different people are having different issues.

Comment

uBlock Origin has taken over AdBlock as the premier ad blocker. Don't ask me why. But it works flawlessly for me on both Firefox and Chrome. Never seen any ads on PW or elsewhere. I recommend to install that to those with ad problems.

Comment

uBlock Origin has taken over AdBlock as the premier ad blocker. Don't ask me why. But it works flawlessly for me on both Firefox and Chrome. Never seen any ads on PW or elsewhere. I recommend to install that to those with ad problems.

Comment

My way around it was to use the mobile skin because I mainly post on PW from work where I can't install anything on the computer. Only downside is that polls don't show up - but I like the clean and basic layout and there's no problem with ads.

Comment

My way around it was to use the mobile skin because I mainly post on PW from work where I can't install anything on the computer. Only downside is that polls don't show up - but I like the clean and basic layout and there's no problem with ads.

Comment

Holy carp this mobile mode. No first and last ads and I don't gotta resize posts to see them. This whole time I tagged PW and borderline immobile. Sure I can't see the latest thread without going in a forum but it makes browsing at work much better.

Comment

Holy carp this mobile mode. No first and last ads and I don't gotta resize posts to see them. This whole time I tagged PW and borderline immobile. Sure I can't see the latest thread without going in a forum but it makes browsing at work much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ness View Post
                    The only con is that I can't access any polls.

Still My Champ
                    Thanks, surrender.

Comment

Originally posted by Ness View Post
                      The only con is that I can't access any polls.

Still My Champ
                      Thanks, surrender.

Comment

Can't open spoiler tags either but it's a small price to pay. I just save polls for when I'm at home.

Comment

Can't open spoiler tags either but it's a small price to pay. I just save polls for when I'm at home.

Comment

I only use my phone for the forum so I don't have too much issue. They aren't overly intrusive, but make video links unwatchable at times since they block half the video
                            -The Undertaker: It will always be his Yard
                            -NXT gives me HOPE for the Future
                            -KCCO
                            ---θ---
                            Currently playing:
                            PS4: Fallout 4, The Division, Doom, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, Life is Strange, Uncharted 4
                            Mobile: Tapped Out, Forge of Empires, WWE Champions
                            IGN for every Game I play and PSN: Stefulson
                            Feel free to add me.
                            sigpic

Comment

I only use my phone for the forum so I don't have too much issue. They aren't overly intrusive, but make video links unwatchable at times since they block half the video
                              -The Undertaker: It will always be his Yard
                              -NXT gives me HOPE for the Future
                              -KCCO
                              ---θ---
                              Currently playing:
                              PS4: Fallout 4, The Division, Doom, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, Life is Strange, Uncharted 4
                              Mobile: Tapped Out, Forge of Empires, WWE Champions
                              IGN for every Game I play and PSN: Stefulson
                              Feel free to add me.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X