Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Trump Presidency - Making America Great Again

Originally posted by The Real LT View Post
    Not nearly the same thing and you know it.

Nixon firing Cox was a complete conflict of interest as Cox was investigating crimes that Nixon's administration was suspected of being complicit in.

Yates was fired for directly defying a lawful executive order, an order mind you that had been approved by the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel.
    Defying and refusing to defend are two different things. She has no obligation to defend "lawful orders" if it's not her position that they are so (and not should she).

It all worked out exactly like it should have. I don't think either side is in the wrong away from the politics of it. She didn't believe the order should be defended and he didn't think she should be acting AG anymore. It isn't remotely Nixonian, the comparison is silly.

Comment

I'm really hoping the leaked draft on legal immigrants isn't true. I really hope it isn't but, based on the previous leaked memos, it will be.

It's draconian in pretty much every way you could think of. It not only punishes legal immigrants but also punishes their native U.S. relatives. And even beyond just what it does; the attachments to it ACTIVELY seeks to foster a "US vs them" perspective where the THEM (legal immigrants and refugees especially) are thieves of YOUR money (they also contribute to it but don't pay attention to that).

All kinds of messed up.

With that said; the amount of leaks getting out seems to be way too high.
      Last edited by T-Bone; 01-31-2017, 06:20 PM.

Comment

I'm really hoping the leaked draft on legal immigrants isn't true. I really hope it isn't but, based on the previous leaked memos, it will be.

It's draconian in pretty much every way you could think of. It not only punishes legal immigrants but also punishes their native U.S. relatives. And even beyond just what it does; the attachments to it ACTIVELY seeks to foster a "US vs them" perspective where the THEM (legal immigrants and refugees especially) are thieves of YOUR money (they also contribute to it but don't pay attention to that).

All kinds of messed up.

With that said; the amount of leaks getting out seems to be way too high.

Comment

Leaking is another way of softening up the electorate.

I don't particularly like Trump, but I have to be impressed with the vigor and singleness of purpose he is bringing to his campaign promises.

On the not my president thing, you can categorically say that Trump is the fault of the vast majority of US citizens.
          Consider that he had popular support of 46% of the voting population at worst and then 42% couldn't be assed voting at all.
          That makes 68% of the population complicit in his election.
          Last edited by iNCY; 02-01-2017, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Leaking is another way of softening up the electorate.

I don't particularly like Trump, but I have to be impressed with the vigor and singleness of purpose he is bringing to his campaign promises.

On the not my president thing, you can categorically say that Trump is the fault of the vast majority of US citizens.
            Consider that he had popular support of 46% of the voting population at worst and then 42% couldn't be assed voting at all.
            That makes 68% of the population complicit in his election.

Comment

I understand you're being facetious but your math is so nonsensical that I can't help but point out that if you work your problem out to the end you're counting like 140% of Americans. Trump's 46% come from the 58% of voters, so assuming your numbers are true 42% of Americans didn't vote and 27% voted for Trump compared to 28% (rounding makes this look closer, it's about a 1.8% difference) Americans voting Hillary and 3% voting for someone else.

I would be opposed to the Democrats filibustering this nominee. The Nuclear Option will eventually happen, but it shouldn't be now. Trump picked the prototype of a tolerable conservative Justice and I understand being bothered by Garland but the GOP also approved two young liberal Justices for President Obama.
              Last edited by mikec; 01-31-2017, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I understand you're being facetious but your math is so nonsensical that I can't help but point out that if you work your problem out to the end you're counting like 140% of Americans. Trump's 46% come from the 58% of voters, so assuming your numbers are true 42% of Americans didn't vote and 27% voted for Trump compared to 28% (rounding makes this look closer, it's about a 1.8% difference) Americans voting Hillary and 3% voting for someone else.

I would be opposed to the Democrats filibustering this nominee. The Nuclear Option will eventually happen, but it shouldn't be now. Trump picked the prototype of a tolerable conservative Justice and I understand being bothered by Garland but the GOP also approved two young liberal Justices for President Obama.

Comment

Yeah this nominee in no way tips the balance of the court in any way. Granted, I am pissed at the way the Republican party treated Judge Garland, you can't filibuster a nominee for 4 years. Now, should one of the other more liberal judges retire or (gods forbid) pass away, then, you might want to think about it and seeing how far the GOP is willing to go. If it's his last year, oh dear lord go all the way with it.

I just find it amusing how one republican, Senator Hatch, dared for Obama to nominate someone like Judge Garland, he does and then they start screaming about the election and how they should let the voters decide. Then, when it's looking grim, one man who apparently lost his spine over a decade ago, Senator McCain, is quoted as saying the GOP will fight any nominee. NOW, they are upset because the Democrats might fight back. When did this party lose their god damn self-awareness?
                  Now you're on the field callin' me an asshole, 'Cause I roped up your body like a lasso

And I could be just like Mr. HK, runnin' cause a melee
                  Bring my team a W, I'm poppin' shots like Pele

Comment

Yeah this nominee in no way tips the balance of the court in any way. Granted, I am pissed at the way the Republican party treated Judge Garland, you can't filibuster a nominee for 4 years. Now, should one of the other more liberal judges retire or (gods forbid) pass away, then, you might want to think about it and seeing how far the GOP is willing to go. If it's his last year, oh dear lord go all the way with it.

I just find it amusing how one republican, Senator Hatch, dared for Obama to nominate someone like Judge Garland, he does and then they start screaming about the election and how they should let the voters decide. Then, when it's looking grim, one man who apparently lost his spine over a decade ago, Senator McCain, is quoted as saying the GOP will fight any nominee. NOW, they are upset because the Democrats might fight back. When did this party lose their god damn self-awareness?
                    Now you're on the field callin' me an asshole, 'Cause I roped up your body like a lasso

And I could be just like Mr. HK, runnin' cause a melee
                    Bring my team a W, I'm poppin' shots like Pele

Comment

If it's his last year, oh dear lord go all the way with it.
                      I really can't disagree. Once Trump is less than a year from having to run again, all bets are off. Anything before that would be kind of foolish though.

Comment

If it's his last year, oh dear lord go all the way with it.
                        I really can't disagree. Once Trump is less than a year from having to run again, all bets are off. Anything before that would be kind of foolish though.

Comment

Depends on if he's substantially moving the court. This move might shift the court slightly to the left because he's replacing Scalia, especially late-term Scalia, and at worst for Democrats the court is exactly what it was before Scalia passed.

But if Ginsburg died and he tried to put Pryor in her place? The Dems should riot.

And again it all assumes that Dems don't take back the Senate in 2018, though I'm not counting on it right now.

Comment

Depends on if he's substantially moving the court. This move might shift the court slightly to the left because he's replacing Scalia, especially late-term Scalia, and at worst for Democrats the court is exactly what it was before Scalia passed.

But if Ginsburg died and he tried to put Pryor in her place? The Dems should riot.

And again it all assumes that Dems don't take back the Senate in 2018, though I'm not counting on it right now.

Comment

Originally posted by SensesFailed View Post

Because Republicans know how to stay on message. And their message is "Fuck Obama and everything he ever did or wanted to do, always and forever." It's party politics. It's sports-team politics. And they know how to stay on message and win.

They are being brazen about it, because they can. It is about winning, wiping Barack Obama from existence, and moving America as far right as they can move it. And until Democrats start fighting back, that's what it will be.
                              Originally posted by mx518
                              he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
                              No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
                              NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

Comment

Originally posted by SensesFailed View Post

Because Republicans know how to stay on message. And their message is "Fuck Obama and everything he ever did or wanted to do, always and forever." It's party politics. It's sports-team politics. And they know how to stay on message and win.

They are being brazen about it, because they can. It is about winning, wiping Barack Obama from existence, and moving America as far right as they can move it. And until Democrats start fighting back, that's what it will be.
                                he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
                                No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
                                NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

Comment

Working...
                                X